• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a lot of catching up to do to Japan. Here, we just come out with these same, stale ass games. "Oh, unlikable protagonist who I'm supposed to be rooting for but really can't but I'm just missing out on something beyond the surface. Ok, well guess I'll shoot everything in sight. The end." These Japanese games coming out this year (and next) are going to shit all over the western-based games from the highest plateau. MGSV, Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5. These games all have swag through the fucking roof. The know what they are, and they aren't apologetic about it. And that's the kind of shit I want. I don't care - good, bad, whatever - I want something new, something blue. Fresh experiences that I can't get elsewhere. Metal Gear: What game out there is going to give me a crazy deep storyline with badass characters, sweet tunes, photorealistic visuals AND strap a balloon to a dude and tell him that he's one of the good guys now. Persona: What game is going to let me play as Harry Potter? Final Fantasy: Where else am I going to find a game with as big and fantastical a world with on-the-fly battles that have the potential to surpass the systems implemented in some of the best ARPGs the industry has ever seen? Japan's biggest and most iconic titles are getting their grove back and are going to be hard for anyone who calls themselves a gamer to pass up on.

preach brotha

There might be a full Naughty Dawgs version today. No promises though.

JLD5Qrq.jpg

Skullface

Designated smoking rooms at the Atlanta airport! Logan could learn a thing or two about this place. Big Boss would approve.

Only in Kojima's case, cinematic does not mean killing the gameplay completely so the game can drive you through a series of events where you have very little control, but instead staging an event in a very movie like approach and letting you take control and go through it.

This.

Even with MGS4 where Kojima kinda poorly managed the pacing of the moment-to-moment gameplay with overly lengthy cutscenes, the depth of gameplay, encounters was still top-notch.

It's often frustrating to see Kojima labelled as just a cinematics/story-guy. It's true that MGS will be remembered for its complex, some would say, somewhat convoluted 'soldier epic of BB/SS', but Kojima's qualities as a game designer is one of the best in the industry, and imo, the best when it comes to density of gameplay.

From the core mechanics of the moment-to-moment gameplay itself, to the implementation of extremely diverse toolsets in every MGS game that complement/amplify the existing core gameplay, the well-designed levels, the boss battles down to the intricate attention to detail, everything is top-notch.

Rajang

Demons' Souls was a pretty ugly ass game from a technical standpoint, but I loved it so damn much I imported the Asian version to play while I awaited western release.

I did the same. I remember importing that fancy "CE" from Hong Kong. The only game I've ever imported from an Asian country. So cool it supported English subs! In fact, I believe it had English dubs too? I seem to remember something like that.

Was such an amazing experience because almost no-one here owned the game besides myself. I tried to tell friends of mine about it and they were like "looks like some Japanese crap, dude."

And now everyone is playing Dark Souls :p

I love you guys. Demon's Souls is one of my favorite games of last generation. The level design, the thick atmosphere, the music, the lore, the incredible boss designs and all the diverse and interesting NPC's with their stories. All of it was ace. I didn't know anything about the Souls series when I first played Demon's. I was completely blown away. I wanted to share my experience but no one I knew heard of the game or wanted to give it a chance. Most of my friends and people I know don't play many games anyway.

I only have the normal PAL copy though. I want to get the Chinese version, to platinum it agian :> but I don't know a good site to buy it from.

No seriously. I feel like, I am annoying some of you with my presence.

Don't think like that brother. I love you.

mgs4_bigboss_hug.gif

I'm the annoying one.

Skullface

This.

Even with MGS4 where Kojima kinda poorly managed the pacing of the moment-to-moment gameplay with overly lengthy cutscenes, the depth of gameplay, encounters was still top-notch.

It's often frustrating to see Kojima labelled as just a cinematics/story-guy. It's true that MGS will be remembered for its complex, some would say, somewhat convoluted 'soldier epic of BB/SS', but Kojima's qualities as a game designer is one of the best in the industry, and imo, the best when it comes to density of gameplay.

From the core mechanics of the moment-to-moment gameplay itself, to the implementation of extremely diverse toolsets in every MGS game that complement/amplify the existing core gameplay, the well-designed levels, the boss battles down to the intricate attention to detail, everything is top-notch.

I still remember my first playthrough of MGS4. I thought walking through that base with the injured soldiers was just incredible.

Do you believe that this game is real? I mean I watch those trailers, gameplay, photos so often. It is so incredible, like nothing I've ever seen and all of this in my favourite game franchise.
And when I think about that I will actually play that game soon..I just can't believe this. It's like a dream. I'm afraid that when the time comes for release date I'll just wake up and non of that is real. It is truly phantom game to me..

Do you believe that this game is real? I mean I watch those trailers, gameplay, photos so often. It is so incredible, like nothing I've ever seen and all of this in my favourite game franchise.
And when I think about that I will actually play that game soon..I just can't believe this. It's like a dream. I'm afraid that when the time comes for release date I'll just wake up and non of that is real. It is truly phantom game to me..

Jokes aside...

I look at GZ, as proof of concept that TPP is real, can be real, and will be real, because TPP is just GZ with a few more layer of gameplay intricacies, and basically just a larger game world. The 'vertical slice' is proven, now it's just asset creation and ensuring those other gameplay layers (buddy) don't break the game.

GZ left in me a phantom pain. One of 2014's best games. Sublime gameplay mechanics. Amazing sandbox. Fucking fun. Puts to shame what (some) other devs call 'open-world.'

Jokes aside...

I look at GZ, as proof of concept that TPP is real, can be real, and will be real, because TPP is just GZ with a few more layer of gameplay intricacies, and basically just a larger game world. The 'vertical slice' is proven, now it's just asset creation and ensuring those other gameplay layers (buddy) don't break the game.

GZ left in me a phantom pain. One of 2014's best games. Sublime gameplay mechanics. Amazing sandbox. Fucking fun. Puts to shame what (some) other devs call 'open-world.'

Yeah, GZ is so great and that's why I can't believe that we will get something even better, 200 times larger, with even better gameplay, full MGS story
and David Hayter

Spoiler for Naughty Dawgs full version:
The third part is going to be more horny and perverse than the stories before. Totally NSFW. Your snake might be RISING when reading. (ಠ‿ಠ)

Mifec

Anybody excited for batman?

Arkham Knight?

Gameplay stuff they showed was more of the same(minus the batmobile), the graphics were really underwhelming which surprised me a lot but then again it was a long way off from being finished, I just expected a MUCH bigger leap.

I enjoyed Asylum and City so I'll play it for sure, as for being excited, nah.

MajorTom

Gameplay stuff they showed was more of the same(minus the batmobile), the graphics were really underwhelming which surprised me a lot but then again it was a long way off from being finished, I just expected a MUCH bigger leap.
Well they are still using ue3, it's a heavily modified version but it's still ue3

Yesterday finished Catherine. And this is one more example of a good Japanese game.
From the first sight this is "WTF game, are you kidding me?". But that game at the same time is so fun, addictive, has great story, characters and gives you some serious themes to think about.
That what I love in Japanese industry, they know how to deliver something serious in much more fun/elegant ways than others.

Rajang

It's a Saturday morning, so it's speedrun time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyBqIJUZ9DU

From my last video I've cut it down to 1:17, and I now stand at #2 worldwide (#4 if you include the bogus entries).

I don't know why, but speedrunning GZ is so addictive. I am scared how much time I'm going to put into TPP.

Damn I missed your post. I love watching your speed runs (and GZ speed runs in general).

It's really annoying that some of the records on the rankings are bullshit. Wish Konami would delete those and ban the cheaters.

Chinner

Banned
I like to watch your videos. Hope you will get that #1 place.
From where those buggy entries appear?

Thanks bro, top 5 on PS4 is

#1 0:00.001
#2 0:38.050
#3 1:15.577
#4 1:17.037 (Me)
#5 1:17.508

The first one is obviously not legit, and I have seen nothing out there that would suggest the #2 ranking is real.

Rajang said:
Damn I missed your post. I love watching your speed runs (and GZ speed runs in general).

It's really annoying that some of the records on the rankings are bullshit. Wish Konami would delete those and ban the cheaters.

Thanks bro, it's much appreciated. I love checking out speedruns on youtube, but there's not really loads.

Would be nice if Konami went through the leaderboards and got rid of the bogus ones, luckily there isn't that many as the game was patched shortly afterwards.

Skullface

Kojima is not getting one cent from me before he announces the release date and the LE. Then I'll instantly preorder.

YOU can be that chick!

I gave Kojima my money almost a month ago. I've never cared about LEs and CEs. I can't wait for the day that I just go to the store and pick it up simply by uttering my phone number.

Edit: Yo Noctis, I'm in your city bruh. I'm at LaGuardia waiting for my flight back to Boston.

Guys, I want to play Shadow of Mordor, never played before. I have 2 options: Get for free on PS3 or buy on sale for PS4.
What version should I play?
I heard PS3/X360 versions are buggy and really suck compared to next-gen version. Is it true? And is this game good?

Guys, I am almost done with Naughty Dawgs. Though, there is still this tag problem. I can't find good tags for the most of you. Maybe you can help me with it, as you may know each other better.

Fancy Clown
Salaadin
Rean
BanditoMac
Sheriff_Battlesnake
Skullface
GnomeScat
Rajang
raven777
tom0823
GreyOcelot
Pinewood
Lollipop Dave
Vally
strafer
SJRB
NoctisVsStar
Para11ax
Nightengale
Akiller
Screaming Meat
Death Metalist
FantasticMrFoxdie
Xpike
-Deimos
Timeaisis
SargerusBR
sexyelder
Shy
RoyaleDuke
Opto
Jindrax
Alienous
TheBoss1
Zambatoh
Choomp
Nvzman

I want that all of them has a personal tag. Before I upload it. So I go back continue the story. Should be finished in about an hour. I'll check back in here then if there's for everyone a special tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom