• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Beautiful thread, Vally.
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Trailer was excellent. The second trailer got me just as pumped in a lot of ways. Seeing how the day/night cycle and dynamic weather system affect cutscenes -- many of the same scenes we saw last year, now at a different time of day under various conditions; looked beautiful. The bit with Quiet at the end was classic MGS. Can't wait for the gameplay (assuming the Famitsu translation is an accurate one)!

BROTHER! SISTER! It's been too long.

Vally

That trailer

That music

So many fucking questions ahhhhh

Beautiful thread, Vally.
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Trailer was excellent. The second trailer got me just as pumped in a lot of ways. Seeing how the day/night cycle and dynamic weather system affect cutscenes -- many of the same scenes we saw last year, now at a different time of day under various conditions; looked beautiful. The bit with Quiet at the end was classic MGS. Can't wait for the gameplay (assuming the Famitsu translation is an accurate one)!

Thanks man! Glad to have you back

Welcome back.

Welcome back LD !

Welcome back!

en_postimage.jpg

Slackin

BROTHER! SISTER! It's been too long.

Thanks man! Glad to have you back

LD welcome back!

Thank you, BROTHERS!!!! Also, Mexen, glad you are OK! :)

Official press release says new gameplay demo is coming tomorrow.

http://www.konami-digital-entertain...se/2015/0615/?cm_sp=01-_-release-_-20150615-e

*camera pans slowly towards Sn4ke_911 clone* CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

kmax

Thank you, BROTHERS!!!! Also, Mexen, glad you are OK! :)

*camera pans slowly towards Sn4ke_911 clone* CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

Great to have you back.

and before you all ask....I lost a bet. I shall be wearing this chicken avatar with pride for the next three months.

:'(

I mentioned this earlier today, but Kaz's sunglasses are different in this new trailer. Does anyone know why?
Booooo. Bring back the aviators
I mentioned this in the trailer thread but I'm so, so pleased with the theme Kojima is going for with this game. It's interesting, relevant, and almost entirely untouched in popular media.
Yeah. This race/language/revenge theme has never been done before. Kojima is amazing.

So maybe spoilers? just a theory from me...

Skullface dies, or gets killed by snake in TPP but thanks to Snake's injury and possible PTSD, he is hallucinating Skullface?

MGO deets today, right?

I think we'll be getting stuff for both the online invasions (and invitations) and MGO due to the wording, "Metal Gear Solid V's online components." The embargo lifts in a matter of hours, and representatives from Kojima Productions (Jackie, Sean Eyestone) and Kojima Productions LA (Robert) will be present at E3, so I expect the gameplay demonstration to cover some of the online components. Because Jackie flew all the way out to LA, my money would be on him demonstrating MGSV's Mother Base gameplay. Robert is a representative for MGO, so with him in attendance, he'll likely be covering MGO from today until Thursday (we may even get a bit of footage from this, as well but I think the Mother Base gameplay is much more likely). Anyroad, we're getting new details, yes! XD

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Welcome back LD! I've seen you on MGSF before, too, I think. I'm JeffZero there... probably. (It's been a while.)

MGO stuff today, all of my hype.

@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN:
Here's To You(Ennio Morricone & Joan Baez) in GZ,Not Your Kind Of People(Garbage)GDC2014, & Nuclear(Mike Oldfield)E3 2014 in will be in OST

Welcome back LD! I've seen you on MGSF before, too, I think. I'm JeffZero there... probably. (It's been a while.)

MGO stuff today, all of my hype.

THANK YOU, BROTHER! (Yes, I remember you!)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think we'll be getting stuff for both the online invasions (and invitations) and MGO due to the wording, "Metal Gear Solid V's online components." The embargo lifts in a matter of hours, and representatives from Kojima Productions (Jackie, Sean Eyestone) and Kojima Productions LA (Robert) will be present at E3, so I expect the gameplay demonstration to cover some of the online components. Because Jackie flew all the way out to LA, my money would be on him demonstrating MGSV's Mother Base gameplay. Robert is a representative for MGO, so with him in attendance, he'll likely be covering MGO from today until Thursday (we may even get a bit of footage from this, as well but I think the Mother Base gameplay is much more likely). Anyroad, we're getting new details, yes! XD

Cheers, man!

Great to have you back.

Mexen

The more I watch that trailer the more I see and the less I understand.

Skullface is in convenient positions and just "shows up" or "disappears". He isn't real, is he?

Fake edit: I'm an idiot and just realised that BB's horn grows longer when he's a "demon". Heh! Gonna watch this one more time.

Also I hope we get to R&D this bad boy... (low res, sorry)

http://i.imgur.com/dstumkx.png

Guys... what is up with Kaz's eyes?!

I noticed them too. It looks some effect of the torture he must have endured.

My thought regarding the trailer ending:
It's Liquid and Solidus because Solid in MGS1 doesn't know about any brothers and there are no info about any amnesia of his.

At first I was like "meh, what a boring trailer" but then it hit me. Hit me hard.
I'm glad that there are more than 2 month of waiting, because good thing comes to the ones that wait :)

Embearded

Guys... what is up with Kaz's eyes?!

I knew a guy who had lost a limb and due to bad blood circulation a clot stuck at his eye vessels and lost his sight for some days.
Maybe something like that? Who knows! But I remember that in the previous trailer in the torture scene where he wears glasses, his eyes look weird through the glass.

The more I watch that trailer the more I see and the less I understand.

Skullface is in convenient positions and just "shows up" or "disappears". He isn't real, is he?

Also during the jeep cutscene his animation is weird, or better the lack of animation is weird. Snake moves so its not bad direction creepy motherfucker!!!!

Banzai

My thought regarding the trailer ending:
It's Liquid and Solidus because Solid in MGS1 doesn't know about any brothers and there are no info about any amnesia of his.

At first I was like "meh, what a boring trailer" but then it hit me. Hit me hard.
I'm glad that there are more than 2 month of waiting, because good thing comes to the ones that wait :)

Solidus wasn't part of the original Les Enfants Terrible project was he? I think he was created later.

Mexen

I knew a guy who had lost a limb and due to bad blood circulation a clot stuck at his eye vessels and lost his sight for some days.
Maybe something like that? Who knows! But I remember that in the previous trailer in the torture scene where he wears glasses, his eyes look weird through the glass.

Also during the jeep cutscene his animation is weird, or better the lack of animation is weird. Snake moves so its not bad direction creepy motherfucker!!!!

Man, I dunno how I'll feel if the end of the game reveals that there indeed was no Skullface. And if Skullface is Ishmael, that changes the hospital scene altogether.

KOOOOOJIIIIMAAAA.

Banzai

He wasn't but he aged faster so there should be a point where they had the same age before solidus started looking older.
I would assume his aging was manipulated the same way Solid's was: normal aging until he's 30 or something, then accelerated. I don't think he was aging rapidly as a kid, too.

I think the trailer ending was just some good old Kojima foolin and it's both Liquid. No idea why he would be there twice but anything's possible with Mantis around.

dc89

Code Talker has similar eyes. Hmmm

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So I posted this in the trailer thread. Just collating all the language stuff. Thought it may be of interest for the theory crafting:

The concept of 'language as a virus', an idea that explores the origins and nature of language, was introduced by renowned junkie and counter cultural icon, William S Burroughs. This arguably is the precursor to Dawkins' Meme Complex (a big deal in MGS2).

The largely discredited Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, which suggests the structure of language colours and controls our understanding of the world. This is a key component in Orwell's '1984'.

There appear to be a number of reflections/dopplegangers across TPP and GZ; a favourite subject of classic literature like Stevenson's Jekyll and Hyde and The Double by Dostoyevsky.

There are also allusions to Moby Dick (revenge, huge fucking flaming nuclear whale) and Lord of the Flies (pig's head, Eli, Child Soldiers).

Two of the characters, Codewalker and Quiet, are language themed. The latter of which is deprived of expressing herself via spoken word.

Big Boss himself is deprived of language due to his injuries. He doesn't speak as much (which could actually be a plot point as opposed to Keifer's VA bill) and he forgets Russian, requiring translators to assist him during gameplay (bringing the language theme in as a mechanic).

Skullface is a character whose mother tongue is usurped and replaced by a succession of different foreign forces. They take over his home country and force their way of speaking (and thus, the trailer suggests, their worldview) on to the people. Arguably, the Russians in Afghanistan are doing that to the locals too. May also be the case in Africa.

MGS2 had AI and nanomachines as censors of language (La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo, S3 Program). I think we'll see the birth of that concept in TPP with Zero's 'Intelligence Without Borders'/HUMINT, which was mentioned in GZ. There was, after all, an AI Pod in part of the trailer.

Embearded

I would assume his aging was manipulated the same way Solid's was: normal aging until he's 30 or something, then accelerated. I don't think he was aging rapidly as a kid, too.

I think the trailer ending was just some good old Kojima foolin and it's both Liquid. No idea why he would be there twice but anything's possible with Mantis around.

Your assumption seems to be right, though it seems to me easier to hide the lack of someones childhood rather than his adulthood.

Man, I dunno how I'll feel if the end of the game reveals that there indeed was no Skullface. And if Skullface is Ishmael, that changes the hospital scene altogether.

KOOOOOJIIIIMAAAA.

If he is not Snakes projection, then he must be playing with his mind. Also guys, Skullface was the victim of a fire and Mantis started the fire in his village. That's an interesting situation between those two.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Your assumption seems to be right, though it seems to me easier to hide the lack of someones childhood rather than his adulthood.

If he is not Snakes projection, then he must be playing with his mind. Also guys, Skullface was the victim of a fire and Mantis started the fire in his village. That's an interesting situation between those two.

Skullface is a real person. I subscribe to the theory that he dies fairly early on and Big Boss hallucinates him later. He'll basically join 'Those Who Do Not Exist'.

So I posted this in the trailer thread. Just collating all the language stuff. Thought it may be of interest for the theory crafting:

The concept of 'language as a virus', an idea that explores the origins and nature of language, was introduced by renowned junkie and counter cultural icon, William S Burroughs. This arguably is the precursor to Dawkins' Meme Complex (a big deal in MGS2).

The largely discredited Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, which suggests the structure of language colours and controls our understanding of the world. This is a key component in Orwell's '1984'.

There appear to be a number of reflections/dopplegangers across TPP and GZ; a favourite subject of classic literature like Stevenson's Jekyll and Hyde and The Double by Dostoyevsky.

There are also allusions to Moby Dick (revenge, huge fucking flaming nuclear whale) and Lord of the Flies (pig's head, Eli, Child Soldiers).

Two of the characters, Codewalker and Quiet, are language themed. The latter of which is deprived of expressing herself via spoken word.

Big Boss himself is deprived of language due to his injuries. He doesn't speak as much (which could actually be a plot point as opposed to Keifer's VA bill) and he forgets Russian, requiring translators to assist him during gameplay (bringing the language theme in as a mechanic).

Skullface is a character whose mother tongue is usurped and replaced by a succession of different foreign forces. They take over his home country and force their way of speaking (and thus, the trailer suggests, their worldview) on to the people. Arguably, the Russians in Afghanistan are doing that to the locals too. May also be the case in Africa.

MGS2 had AI and nanomachines as censors of language (La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo, S3 Program). I think we'll see the birth of that concept in TPP with Zero's 'Intelligence Without Borders'/HUMINT, which was mentioned in GZ. There was, after all, an AI Pod in part of the trailer.

You're on point with this. Also of note: notice how there are many depictions of people opening their eyes; all of which culminates with the double liquids at the end. I certainly hope it's some mind fuckery with those two, and not solid and liquid like people are assuming. Then again, clones are doppelgangers in their own way, wouldn't you agree? So there is definitely symbolic potential there. I truly hope that kojima pulls through in terms of sacrificing some aspects of canon at the expense of maintaining strong thematic presence.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You're on point with this. Also of note: notice how there are many depictions of people opening their eyes; all of which culminates with the double liquids at the end. I certainly hope it's some mind fuckery with those two, and not solid and liquid like people are assuming. Then again, clones are doppelgangers in their own way, wouldn't you agree? So there is definitely symbolic potential there. I truly hope that kojima pulls through in terms of sacrificing some aspects of canon at the expense of maintaining strong thematic presence.

I most certainly would. Great point.

With the trailer, I'm particularly impressed with Kojima referencing Burroughs' 'Word-Virus' concept. I absolutely love his work and I never thought I'd ever see the concept brought into the mainstream quite like this. The idea of words being symptoms of a virus that has found balance with it's host blew my mind when I first read it. It may be pseudo-intellectual, unprovable hogwash, but it certainly sparks the imagination; it's combination with the harder end of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, even more so.

I'm excited to see where Kojima goes with this.

Mexen

Fits with the theme of awakening and coming to. Safe to assume TPP will show definitive moments of several characters' turning points, with BB's being one we gradually experience as we progress the story.
At this point, I want to fight a losing battle and meticulously stealth my way through each mission that permits it on my first playthrough (let's face it, I'll prolly cave and go akuma on 'em). But I genuinely believe the contrast of that style of play wrt the themes inherent to the game will enhance the experience.

Edit: stealth will be highly rewarding but difficult to accomplish imo.

I most certainly would. Great point.

With the trailer, I'm particularly impressed with Kojima referencing Burroughs' 'Word-Virus' concept. I absolutely love his work and I never thought I'd ever see the concept brought into the mainstream quite like this. The idea of words being symptoms of a virus that has found balance with it's host blew my mind when I first read it. It may be pseudo-intellectual, unprovable hogwash, but it certainly sparks the imagination; it's combination with the harder end of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, even more so.

I'm excited to see where Kojima goes with this.

Yeah, as soon as they brought up the language theme, I instantly thought "Burroughs". There are a lot of thematic eggs in one basket here. It could all collapse, but nonetheless we've reached the other side of the rabbit hole, and there's no one else I'd rather follow there than kojima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom