• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, as soon as they brought up the language theme, I instantly thought "Burroughs". There are a lot of thematic eggs in one basket here. It could all collapse, but nonetheless we've reached the other side of the rabbit hole, and there's no one else I'd rather follow there than kojima.

Oh hell yeah. Kojima made MGS2, if there is anyone that can juggle high level concepts with stunning gameplay and titty shots, its Kojima-san.

Mexen

Skullface is a real person. I subscribe to the theory that he dies fairly early on and Big Boss hallucinates him later. He'll basically join 'Those Who Do Not Exist'.

Or Big Boss IS Skullface. An alter ego? I have a feeling this has been brought up here, lemme go Detective GAF.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome back LD! I've seen you on MGSF before, too, I think. I'm JeffZero there... probably. (It's been a while.)

I got banned from there years ago. I accidentally posted in the wrong sub forum and some Texan guy got really shitty with me. After much to and fro, I ended the conversation with:
"I thought they executed retards in Texas. Looks like one slipped through the net."

Needless to say, I got a stern threat from a mod which I promptly said he could shove up his arse.

What? I was young. Ish.

Or Big Boss IS Skullface. An alter ego? I have a feeling this has been brought up here, lemme go Detective GAF.

I dunno, he's definitely real at one point. Guards talk about him in GZ. There are recordings of his voice from before Big Boss shows up.

I got banned from there years ago. I accidentally posted in the wrong sub forum and some Texan guy got really shitty with me. After much to and fro, I ended the conversation with:
"I thought they executed retards in Texas. Looks like one slipped through the net."

Needless to say, I got a stern threat from a mod which I promptly said he could shove up his arse.

What? I was young. Ish.

I dunno, he's definitely real at one point. Guards talk about him in GZ. There are recordings of his voice from before Big Boss shows up.

Lol, is NeoGAF rather strict if we're talking about rules?

Mexen

Is that the doctor ("9 years") around the 0:24 mark of trailer 1?

What? I was young. Ish.

Fair enough. Just that the way Kojima depicts him in the trailers sends odd vibes. I would, therefore, like to throw in a theory of psychotherapy and hypnosis at this point a la Liquid Ocelot.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, is NeoGAF rather strict if we're talking about rules?

This was at MGS Forums.

Is that the doctor ("9 years") around the 0:24 mark of trailer 1?

Fair enough. Just that the way Kojima depicts him in the trailers sends odd vibes. I would, therefore, like to throw in a theory of psychotherapy and hypnosis at this point a la Liquid Ocelot.

We'll know for sure come September.

Mexen

This was at MGS Forums.

We'll know for sure come September.

tumblr_inline_n56tg2RUAg1s9kl34.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Oh god I really hope we get to see this too.

2015-06-1617_04_22-kefojqo.png

But it wouldn't make any sense not to post it later online since it looks like this isn't behind closed doors.

I'm kind of wondering what else could they possibly show gameplay-wise that's not MGO. I feel like we've seen everything. Unless they're going to show a new location.

Mexen

I'm kind of wondering what else could they possibly show gameplay-wise that's not MGO. I feel like we've seen everything. Unless they're going to show a new location.

This is a spoiler regarding Brazil's infamous revelation.
I want to see how deeply related the customization in TPP is to MGO. Create player once? Seperately? Etc

I think revealing the super secret co-op feature and a proper look at what happens when one player is defending a base invasion. Also d-dog walkies.

Hellz yeah, brother!
Cheers! Yeah, my personal Avatar Creator 9000 ran some algorithms and here we are. Drew inspiration from this

C6vS92D.jpg

Nice!

So NeoGAF thinks that we'll get some footage/gameplay regarding the Mother Base invasions, co-op, a new location and maybe a MGO match?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Another cross post.

There are a couple of things in GZ that I think undermine the current thinking that Skullface literally being Big Boss (outside of the obvious impossible situations and physical voice recordings):

1) A number of guards make reference to the Black Ops team. One pair reference Skullface directly, mentioning his "sawed off lever-action rifle". It could be a red herring, it could be a weapon Big Boss adopts in his Skullface persona, but to me It suggests the foreshadowing of an Ocelot/Olga style boss battle at some point in TPP which could lead to his death.

2) Chico is a pretty compelling argument on his own. Skullface speaks to him in Big Boss-isms and he is initially scared when Big Boss himself comes to rescue him.

However, Prisoner 12282 has a very similar experience to Chico (Big Boss-isms) and isn't scared when rescued. Juicy Bob and TheProdigal mentioned in the other thread that there is a tape that suggests Skullface told Chico that BB would likely kill him for the betrayal, which explains away why he is scared more succinctly than 'Skullface is Big Boss'.

Prisoner 12282 even says he saw Skullface's face, although he can't remember it. This could support the Skullface is Big Boss theory, if it weren't for the fact that he recognises and clearly remembers Big Boss when rescued, which seems a little incongruous, if not quite damning.

I think Skullface quoting Big Boss has more to it than him literally being Big Boss. As a character aware of the power of language, using Big Boss' words as weapons is a way of taking on his aspect. I'm not quite sure what this suggests at this point, but literally being him seems almost crass considering the lofty concepts Kojima is throwing about.

3) Paz isn't scared of Big Boss when he rescues her either, and she arguably spent the most time with Skullface. Tellingly, the post-credit sting has this exchange:

Paz: This will save Big Boss?
Skull Face: It may.

The post-credit sting, as it has always been, is not from the main characters perspective and is something they often aren't aware of. They are specifically for the player, acting as a reversal or dramatic irony. If Paz was faced with Big Boss as Skullface, her asking this question becomes problematic.

Like I say, none of this is hard and fast, just my interpretation of events. I do believe that Big Boss will be haunted by a Skullface hallucination (amongst others), but the above (along with the impossible situations and voice recordings, which are hard to ignore) is why I think he has to be real at some point rather than entirely a figment of BB's psychosis/split personality.

Cheers, man!

Great to have you back.

Welcome back dude!

Welcome back. I'm new so you probably haven't seen me already but good to have another veteran member back.

LD!!!!!

HAI!!

That kinda sucks. Changing an iconic part of a character for some product placement.
And, even though I'm a newcomer and don't "know" you, welcome back :^)

Thanks, guys!!!! AND HELLO JIMMY! 😂😂😂

Theory time!

Snake, due to his massive head damage, will hallucinate a LOT during the game.

Firy Volgin and the other supernatural elements are all due to this. The scenes in which snake is covered in blood with lots of dead bodies around is because he killed them in his madness. He snaps out of it and realises what he's done!

Shy

Sooo, are they not going to show the gameplay demo, on video (the net) ?
I know it's going to be later, but that just for people at E3 though right. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom