• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Why, that'll fuck the game balance, if i can invade you, but you've payed for defenses/weapons. and i haven't. then that's just P2W bullshit.

I assume you can't pay for the documents and staff members that allow you to build stuff, only to cut down dev time on them.

Embearded

People can't help themselves, they'll spend as much money as they can right away to build up their motherbase.

Also we don't know exactly how long things will take to develop, and given it's Konami, you can pretty much expect to be corralled in to spending, because things you want to R&D will be artificially delayed to take a long time without paying.
And Because the microtransactiions are for the motherbase R&D, with the game having a player VS player invasion mechanic, players will (excuse the pun) feel pressured in to an arms race of sorts, so they can have the best base.

I'm sorry but those who will buy things as soon as the game starts are fools. You don't buy a game so you can pay more and shorten its length right away. The whole point of the game is to play and unlock stuff.
I can see why some people don't want or don't have time to grind in order to play with weapon X, but they are not so many.

I want to believe that the idea of microtransactions did not come from KojiPro but it came from KONAMI.
I also believe that KONAMI doesn't control gameplay aspects. So the R&D time won't be too abnormal.

I hope players understand that with every transaction they make they lose gameplay experience.
For every AA they buy for the motherbase, they Fulton one less, so they lose the chance for one more strategic approach of an enemy base.
For every R&D they speed up, they lose time exploring, or the need to search for R&D guys.

Also there is an option to turn off invades, so if you feel like having a weak base you can turn them off.

I am not defending the microtransactions here, I want to puke just with the idea that there will be a screen promoting me to pay in my MGS game, I just feel like it won't matter for me. Or at least I hope it won't.

At the same two-day preview event where we got to spend hours at the helm of Hideo Kojima's next (and possibly last) Metal Gear Solid game, publisher Konami confirmed a handful of details about its online component. Metal Gear Online in The Phantom Pain will feature online player-vs.-player competitive modes for teams of up to 16 players on PC, Xbox One and PS4 and a max of 12 players on the previous-generation consoles.

One standout is the return of Team Sneak, a mode where one team must infiltrate another team's base and subdue adversaries using camouflage and non-lethal weaponry. The defending team counters invaders with a wide array of deadly weapons. Team Sneak first appeared in Metal Gear Solid 4's Metal Gear Online mode on PS3. Online maps will be unique for the mode, but inspired by locations found in Afghanistan and Africa from The Phantom Pain's single-player campaign. When discussing the maps, Konami Productions Los Angeles Online Community Manager Robert Peeler used language that original maps may be added to the game later, but DLC content was not confirmed.

In the single-player game, Big Boss worked tirelessly to develop a base of operations, a giant oil tanker where soldiers train and equipment is developed called the Mother Base. One aspect of The Phantom Pain's online component ties directly to a player's headquarters, a system Peeler referred to as Forward Operating Bases. With the online version, you get an attack-and-defend system. "You set up some Forward Operating Bases [FOB] in your Mother Base where different players also playing the game can come and attack it and you can attack theirs," Peeler says. "There are different objectives including taking out the enemy, rescuing hostages" and more.

With the FOB system, if a friend has quality resources you're craving that you haven't unlocked, such as specific vehicles or highly trained soldiers, it's possible to steal those valuable assets for use in your own army. Players can spend in-game currency to research and develop new technologies, but may want to set aside a fund to fortify their bases from online invaders.

The online modes for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain are in development at Konami Productions Los Angeles. Konami promises it will reveal additional details this week during E3.

'Metal Gear Online' evolves its stealthy multiplayer in 'The Phantom Pain'

Thanks Risev, that's a good read in the morning :)

The overpowered D-walker bothers me. It sounds like you're playing on very easy difficulty setting with it.

thabtoUK

who knows?
New Metal Gear Online impressions from Game Infrormer:
Metal Gears fans anxiously await the release of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain on September 1, and apart from being able to continue the story from Ground Zeroes, players will also get to play the latest iteration of Metal Gear Online. Konami hasn't talked a lot about this aspect of MGS V, but here are a few new details.

A key component to MGO are forward operating bases or FOBs. These are related to the Mother Base of your single-player campaign, but are separate installations that serve as the battlegrounds of MGO. In the multiplayer component of MGS V you'll attack and defend FOBs for resources and other spoils in 8v8 battles (or 6v6 on the older systems). Your single-player Mother Base does have an optional online component whereby you can infiltrate friends' bases, but this is separate from Metal Gear Online.

The single-player component of MGS V, however, is related to MGO in that you will be able to carry over some cosmetic extras from MGS V to MGO.

Konami has confirmed that Team Sneak and other modes from previous iterations of Metal Gear Online are returning, and that MGO in MGS V not only features its own dedicated maps, but also those inspired by the game's single-player portion.

Gamers can play as Snake or Revolver Ocelot, with more characters to be announced, and MGO developer Kojima Productions Los Angeles has confirmed in the past that there is a player progression system.The game contains multiple classes at launch, thus leading to the insinuation that others will follow after the game comes out. Microtransactions for MGO have been rumored, but we do not have confirmation of that as of the time of this writing.

"Kojima Productions Los Angeles"

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/m...15/06/16/new-intel-for-metal-gear-online.aspx

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Nice one, Risev. That was a great write-up.

I imagine microtransactions won't affect the Forward Operating Base (the bit that gets invaded). By all accounts it's a separate strut to the rest of Motherbase. I could be wrong.

What's everyone's favourite line of dialogue from the new trailer?

Loved it all. Got chills during the Zero bit, and jumped out of my seat during "LAYS ON FONT TEAR RIB ES.. Zayroh called it". Seriously, the Skull Face line before the camera pans to Big Boss shooting like a madman was my favorite - if I had to choose one!

"With this, I rid the world of infestation, sans lingua franca, the world will be torn asunder... and then, it shall be free."

VulpX

People can't help themselves, they'll spend as much money as they can right away to build up their motherbase.

Also we don't know exactly how long things will take to develop, and given it's Konami, you can pretty much expect to be corralled in to spending, because things you want to R&D will be artificially delayed to take a long time without paying.
And Because the microtransactiions are for the motherbase R&D, with the game having a player VS player invasion mechanic, players will (excuse the pun) feel pressured in to an arms race of sorts, so they can have the best base.
Please don't speak for everyone. We don't know how the mechanic is implemented exactly, and we don't know how large the overall effect will be.
Yes, some people will sink loads of money into the game the first two days to have an awesome motherbase, others will not and will level their base at the same rate as probably the vast majority of players will. I know I will not spent additional money on the game when I already paid for a CE and a shit ton of other merchandise.
The fun fact with these kind of microtransactions, which speed up unlocks but don't have anything exclusive behind a paywall, is that after a very short time they are completely irrelevant to the game. See AC Unity. It has microtransactions for ingame credits, but after a few hours of play you get so much ingame currency automatically that there's really no longer any need for the microtransactions. Any advantage players had who did pay for stuff also becomes irrelevant as the non-paying players reach the same level a few hours later. Things will balance out, don't worry.

FiraB

Banned

Ok lets re-word this better.

Sorry but you can spend money all you want, doesn't mean you can build a good motherbase without first coming to grips with all the new mechanics the game has to offer. Money doesn't mean shit if you can't use the mechanics properly. The whole point of the invasion system is based on friends lists, so unless you and your friends are highly competitive and have more money then sense it becomes completely pointless.

This is a simple and stupid micro-transaction system that will not effective the majority for MGSV players because with leveling up your motherbase you are going to want your friends to invade it, to try an find loop holes in your defense systems and what you have built structurally. The fact you still have to gather resources and recruit troops for your motherbase (both which can't be bought with micro-transactions) means you are not at a unfair advantage or a P2W scenario. Heck you still have to level your troops on top of both those in order to create or research things in your motherbase, so you add another timesink on top of the gathering aspects.

Lets say you have that highly competitive scenario, it will all equal itself out anyway because you will still be as good as the rest of your friends and if you ain't the money spender like your friends are then you can simply steal their stuff and build yourself better stuff off their collective backs. They might rage at you taking stuff but that's part of the system, you can take their resources.

If anyone could invade your motherbase then I'd be concerned, most people would but that isn't the case as far as we know and its all just down to how you and your friends play to how much this system impacts the game.

Invasions is a co-op competition mode so to speak, it's not competitive (per-say) which I think many people mistake it as by forgetting its friend based structure.

dc89

Les Enfants Terribles, Zero called it!

Seconded.

Mine is a toss up between that and the bit Zero says;

"The world The Boss envisioned will finally become a reality and it will make mankind whole again."

Just hearing the "The Boss" sent me into meltdown.

Loved it all. Got chills during the Zero bit, and jumped out of my seat during "LAYS ON FONT TEAR RIB ES.. Zayroh called it". Seriously, the Skull Face line before the camera pans to Big Boss shooting like a madman was my favorite - if I had to choose one!

"With this, I rid the world of infestation, sans lingua franca, the world will be torn asunder... and then, it shall be free."

I love how you have Kiefer'd those words.

Mexen

Mine is a toss up between that and the bit Zero says;

"The world The Boss envisioned will finally become a reality and it will make mankind whole again."

Just hearing the "The Boss" sent me into meltdown.

I love how you have Kiefer'd those words.

And what was shown when those words were said?

Mexen

An AI Pod.
God damn.

17irrpbgb74cfjpg.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Something that's bothering me. Why does big boss need a translator for Russian? In MGS3 his Russian is impeccable.

Head injury. Selective Amnesia is a thing. Hell, some people have received head injuries and woken up fluent in a completely different language.

Don't you think it's interesting that language is a big theme and Big Boss loses his capacity to speak Russian AND is generally talking less....? I think there is more to it than simply Kojima ignoring lore and Keifer's astronomical VA bill. I could be wrong.

Shy

I'm sorry but those who will buy things as soon as the game starts are fools. You don't buy a game so you can pay more and shorten its length right away. The whole point of the game is to play and unlock stuff.
I can see why some people don't want or don't have time to grind in order to play with weapon X, but they are not so many.

I want to believe that the idea of microtransactions did not come from KojiPro but it came from KONAMI.
I also believe that KONAMI doesn't control gameplay aspects. So the R&D time won't be too abnormal.

I hope players understand that with every transaction they make they lose gameplay experience.
For every AA they buy for the motherbase, they Fulton one less, so they lose the chance for one more strategic approach of an enemy base.
For every R&D they speed up, they lose time exploring, or the need to search for R&D guys.

Also there is an option to turn off invades, so if you feel like having a weak base you can turn them off.

I am not defending the microtransactions here, I want to puke just with the idea that there will be a screen promoting me to pay in my MGS game, I just feel like it won't matter for me. Or at least I hope it won't.

Please don't speak for everyone. We don't know how the mechanic is implemented exactly, and we don't know how large the overall effect will be.
Yes, some people will sink loads of money into the game the first two days to have an awesome motherbase, others will not and will level their base at the same rate as probably the vast majority of players will. I know I will not spent additional money on the game when I already paid for a CE and a shit ton of other merchandise.
The fun fact with these kind of microtransactions, which speed up unlocks but don't have anything exclusive behind a paywall, is that after a very short time they are completely irrelevant to the game. See AC Unity. It has microtransactions for ingame credits, but after a few hours of play you get so much ingame currency automatically that there's really no longer any need for the microtransactions. Any advantage players had who did pay for stuff also becomes irrelevant as the non-paying players reach the same level a few hours later. Things will balance out, don't worry.

Ok lets re-word this better.

Sorry but you can spend money all you want, doesn't mean you can build a good motherbase without first coming to grips with all the new mechanics the game has to offer. Money doesn't mean shit if you can't use the mechanics properly. The whole point of the invasion system is based on friends lists, so unless you and your friends are highly competitive and have more money then sense it becomes completely pointless.

This is a simple and stupid micro-transaction system that will not effective the majority for MGSV players because with leveling up your motherbase you are going to want your friends to invade it, to try an find loop holes in your defense systems and what you have built structurally. The fact you still have to gather resources and recruit troops for your motherbase (both which can't be bought with micro-transactions) means you are not at a unfair advantage or a P2W scenario. Heck you still have to level your troops on top of both those in order to create or research things in your motherbase, so you add another timesink on top of the gathering aspects.

Lets say you have that highly competitive scenario, it will all equal itself out anyway because you will still be as good as the rest of your friends and if you ain't the money spender like your friends are then you can simply steal their stuff and build yourself better stuff off their collective backs. They might rage at you taking stuff but that's part of the system, you can take their resources.

If anyone could invade your motherbase then I'd be concerned, most people would but that isn't the case as far as we know and its all just down to how you and your friends play to how much this system impacts the game.

Invasions is a co-op competition mode so to speak, it's not competitive (per-say) which I think many people mistake it as by forgetting its friend based structure.
I was going to make big post to the first response, but as i saw more people coming out against what i said, i was just too tired and don't have the energy argue, (i know it's a cop-out sorry.) so i'll just take the L and move on.

I'm still very much against microtransactions in TPP though.

Embearded

I was going to make big post to the first response, but as i saw more people coming out against what i said, i was just too tired and don't have the energy argue, (i know it's a cop-out sorry.) so i'll just take the L and move on.

And we are with you, we are against them! We just don't think that it's a P2W situation.

Off-screen video of the beginning of the gameplay demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=623_ELd3Dzs

Sweet! So much customization, so many options!!
I prefer not having licensed weapons so i can mix and match the different parts, than having them as they truly are!

I can't believe that i am getting hyped with 3min of menu footage.... They masterpieced even the fucking menu...

Mexen

Doesn't Eli's jacket say "Pig boss" on the back?

wLzpyEL.jpg

yup and also

Never Be Game Over.

Pigs in the east represent greed (rich and stupid). Eli -spoiler containing other possible name/identity:
(Liquid) LOL
- despises Big Boss and maybe see him as a greedy person. He does everything he can for Mother Base but does not seem to care about him, i.e all resources
his 'father' attains
go everywhere but to him. Just an assumption though.

Loakum

Banned
So MGSV TPP has 1980's music cassettes in the game. I hope Prince "Sign O the Times" (1987) is one of them. That song fits the tone of this game. or any Prince or Michael Jackson music, since they dominated the 80's.

So MGSV TPP has 1980's music cassettes in the game. I hope Prince "Sign O the Times" (1987) is one of them. That song fits the tone of this game. or any Prince or Michael Jackson music, since they dominated the 80's.

What other 80's songs do you guys think could be in the game and would fit well with the themes?

With a huge expansive game like this and the knowledge that as I'm getting older I'm having less and less time to prioritize for gaming, I sort of start realizing that microtransactions aren't all bad. What if I didn't have all that time to complete even the main narrative but was very passionate about the series? Or what if I had kids that I couldn't play in front of? I think it can be really toxic in MP settings, but I have no problem with single player MTs.

I wonder how long we can sustain an improving aesthetic quality with "standard" funding. Games are such a gamble, when does it become not worth it in the traditional sense? When will we have to lean even harder on these alternative financial tactics?

What other 80's songs do you guys think could be in the game and would fit well with the themes?

Just off the top of my head:

"We Didn't Start The Fire" - Billy Joel

"Land Of Confusion" - Genesis

"People Are People" - Depeche Mode

"Two Tribes" - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

"Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" - Ultravox

"Der Kommissar" - After The FIre

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" - Tears For Fears

"Games Without Frontiers" - Peter Gabriel

"Heroes" - David Bowie

"In the Burning Heart" - Survivor

"Planet Earth" - Duran Duran