• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Deimos

An amusing little coincidence/detail I saw, probably been spotted before but I figured I'd post it here.

giphy.gif

Damn you Kojima.

So what's the point of even having to kidnap a Russian translator when you've got an ex-kgb operative working for you who's real name is adamska and who's nickname is shalashaska? Has ocelot magically lost something like everyone else? Gameplay trope for the motherbase metagame mechanic? Shoddy excuse to add side ops to an already deep game?

And speaking of ocelot; hairy twats of the gods man! I know you garner a lotta respect Mr. T-roy, not Troy but T-roy, Baker for your prowess as a niche vg actor but could you pull back a bit from channeling your inner Joel when giving us your interpretation of ocelot please? Regardless of the fact that your portraying an emulation of Lee Van Cleef, I don't recall Lee having a thick southern drawl in Western films do you?
Maybe they need someone who doesn't just know Russian, but someone skilled at interpretation? That's the impression I got based on what Kaz was saying in the demo.

Also, I thought of Ocelot's western/cowboy voice as a way of showing that he's really into spaghetti westerns (which he is.)

Maybe they need someone who doesn't just know Russian, but someone skilled at interpretation? That's the impression I got based on what Kaz was saying in the demo.

Also, I thought of Ocelot's western/cowboy voice as a way of showing that he's really into spaghetti westerns (which he is.)

Hence the quip about Lee Van Cleef,a spaghetti Western star. That's pretty much who Ocelot is. He was emulating Patrick Zimmerman's cadence in the '13 and '14 demos/trailers but now for some reason he's incorporated this drawl more than likely due to Kris Zimmerman being told by kojima to get Troy to bring it closer to Joel. That's what eccentric creators, like Kojima, who are fatigued by their franchises do.

Hence the quip about Lee Van Cleef,a spaghetti Western star. That's pretty much who Ocelot is. He was emulating Patrick Zimmerman's cadence in the '13 and '14 demos/trailers but now for some reason he's incorporated this drawl more than likely due to Kris Zimmerman being told by kojima to get Troy to bring it closer to Joel. That's what eccentric creators, like Kojima, who are fatigued by their franchises do.
Oh okay. I didn't read that last part of your post well. Hopefully that joel-ish sound was just a slip tho.

Loakum

Banned
I'm really hoping that TPP has an audio option, because it's really annoying in ground zeroes that i can't turn down the audio and play while listening to podcasts, or music. :(

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you from the U.S. ?

Yes, I'm in the United States (Detroit) ...and I changed my mind. I'm definitely getting that strategy guide (it was the last one left.) It seems I'm importing a lot of Metal Gear Solid items these days, because the US is getting ignored, when it comes to a lot of awesome items!

Shy

Yes, I'm in the United States (Detroit) ...and I changed my mind. I'm definitely getting that strategy guide (it was the last one left.) It seems I'm importing a lot of Metal Gear Solid items these days, because the US is getting ignored, when it comes to a lot of awesome items!
Ahhh, cool. Here's the U.K. hardcover version, if you're interested.

Loakum

Banned
Ahhh, cool. Here's the U.K. hardcover version, if you're interested.

Thanx, I pre ordered it. I had some extra money left over since the Batmobile Edition of Batman Arkham Knight was cancelled. I was able to pay off two gamestop pre orders, pre order the shinkawa steel cover of MGSVTPP (from the UK shopto), and pre order that collector's edition strategy guide for MGSVTPP (UK amazon), and still have $42 left over.

Shy

I was able to pay off two gamestop pre orders, pre order the shinkawa steel cover of MGSVTPP (from the UK shopto), and pre order that collector's edition strategy guide for MGSVTPP (UK amazon), and still have $42 left over.
*nods* noice!

Embearded

Hello OuterGAF. I finally made it, I'm a member now lol. I remember my first post here declaring my allegiance to OuterGAF, and it was fun watching the debates here.

This is the liberty you won for yourself, OuterGAF Member!!

I can't stop thinking about what I saw yesterday in the gameplay. The possibilities are crazy...
I fear my brain will crash while trying to choose between exploring and rushing through the story for the epicness!
What am I gonna do brothers??

Houndi101

Have to admit, Elegia is a awesome song (especially the 17 minute version) but other than that my least favourite of the MGS5 trailers.
This gameplay however is so grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It hit me today that we are getting this game in just over 2 months, after years of waiting, we are no finally getting it.
Please tell me that we can use more than 1 buddy for missions. That would be incredible to have both Quiet and DD.

Have to admit, Elegia is a awesome song (especially the 17 minute version) but other than that my least favourite of the MGS5 trailers.
This gameplay however is so grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

I agree: that 17 minute version is awesome - I welcome every day with it.
But.
This last trailer is the best in my opinion. Slow paced with heavy words and a little bit of action.

But during the gameplay video, when he requests D-Walker, DD gets fultoned immediately!
Maybe you can have two only on specific missions...who knows.

My guess is that you have to upgrade the Buddy system! Maybe by maxing out affinity with two or more Buddies opens up the option? Or improving Mother Base?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've come full circle.

I joined GAF around the time (and entirely because of) the Moby Dick trailer. My first post was a theory about the Flaming Nuclear Whale. here it is:

Hi, first time poster, long-time lurker. Apologies for arriving late to the party. The investigation on here has been amazing to follow. Great work from all of you.

I think I have sussed the whale symbolism. This is all supposition, of course, but I reckon it fits. Feel free to shoot me down... I can take it! :p

ibcDdbxKtEFSmw.gif

I think the key here is the flaming whale and the Moby Dick Studio logo. I genuinely believe that they give us a jist of the kind of plot/character development/themes we'll be expecting.

The above looks like a nuke being launched and... strangely... turns out to be a huge flaming whale. Coupled with the Moby Dick Studio logo, I think Kojima is giving us a heads-up on the new MGS' main theme.

In the novel Moby Dick, Ahab obsessively hunts The eponymous White Whale for taking his leg. The main theme of the novel was of the futilty of revenge and obssession, parallels of which can easily be drawn between Snake's obsessive hunting down of Metal Gears/Nuclear Weapons. Speaking thematically, nuclear weapons are the White Whale (or Moby Dick) to Big Boss'/Solid Snake's Ahab, hence his hallucination brought on by his 'Phantom Pains'.

Drawing from this, I reckon that this new installment will explicitly draw comparisons between Big Boss and Ahab much in the same way that Peace Walker did between Big Boss and Che.

There are a number of parallels between Ahab and Big Boss already:

Both explicitly refuse to bow to a higher authority. In Ahab's case, he refuses to bow to God himself (such is his arrogance), even though he is a Quaker. Big Boss refuses to bow to political authority, even though he is a soldier. Indeed, the higher political authority could be represented by Zero.

Whilst Portable Ops dealt with Big Boss becoming a leader, Peace Walker dealt with his becoming an icon, a theme foreshadowed in MGS4. Ahab starts Moby Dick as a mysterious and charismatic leader and is described as an "Ungodly, Godlike man". He is both revered and feared by the crew earlier on in the story.

Both of them face inscrutable enemies that don't understand concepts like revenge (the Whale for Ahab, nuclear war for Big Boss).

Both Ahab and Big Boss have no control of their fate. Big Boss is destined to become the enemy of MG & MG2, whilst Ahab is destined to face the white whale.

Both appear to have single-minded goals: Ahab seeks revenge against the white whale at all costs. Big Boss' mission seems to be to enact his twisted interpretation of the Boss' Will. Both of these men are, in a way, victims of their obsessions, which eventually twist them into monsters and ultimately lead to their demise (although Big Boss gets a second chance...).

On top of all that, both suffer from 'Phantom Pains' (as was pointed out earlier in the thread).

So, running away with my imagination a little, I'd say this all suggests that this new MGS will be the story of how Big Boss becomes the so-called villain of MG1, a path he seemed to start in the very last moments of Peace Walker. Perhaps it will be his hubris, like Ahab, that drags him down.

...phew. Again, sorry for missing the initial spurt of investigation.

T_T

Random question for anyone that may know: Is TPP getting an i-Droid smartphone / tablet app like GZ did? I did not see this mentioned anywhere and my Google-fu did not turn up any answers. :(

Random question for anyone that may know: Is TPP getting an i-Droid smartphone / tablet app like GZ did? I did not see this mentioned anywhere and my Google-fu did not turn up any answers. :(

I think that they confirmed/mentioned this. As far as I know I think that they were going to make one for TPP again. I'll check to see if I can find some sources.

Sorry for a double-post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom