• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahamrick

We've seen bits and pieces since in demonstrations and trailers (there are bits of Africa shown in both of the Gamescom 2015 MGSV footage). It's also been there in trailers, particularly the early scenes shown with child soldiers.

So aside from the 30 minute TGS demonstration, very little of Africa, and very little of Afghanistan since they just kept showing the same 2-3 areas and only a couple of missions. I like this.

Embearded

Unused Phantom Pain promo campaign
DeW8cvt.jpg

mSs3GTE.jpg

P63bNm6.jpg

t5mdr1D.jpg

ZXWbX0u.jpg

ErSI4EV.jpg

aLENyWd.jpg

l8dSy3q.jpg

sptmxtG.jpg

MBtianu.jpg

And this ladies and gentlemen is the future of MGS by KONAMI!
FUGLY!

Anth0ny

that mgsv advertising is fucking insanity

like some kind of hot blooded 80s advertising or something

instead, we get nothing. I've literally seen no advertising for mgsv outside of magazine covers.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's just that in the E3 trailer, there's a focus on mirrors, emphasized by FOX vs XOF, Skull Face saying a bunch of stuff Big Boss said, the surreality of the scenes showing both Skullface and BB, and Skullface, other than the hat and mask, wearing exactly what BB wears in his art for MGS 1.

The guards in GZ talk about Skullface specifically. His voice is captured on tape and isn't the same as BB's. Paz doesn't recognise Skullface as BB during her interrogation, [GZ spoilers]
she says something like "And you will help Big Boss?" to Skullface during the after-credits stinger.

He's definitely real at some point.
So I agree with the Srey Plaughtered. Mark my words:
he'll be an Ocelot/Olga style boss fight.

pahamrick

that mgsv advertising is fucking insanity

like some kind of hot blooded 80s advertising or something

instead, we get nothing. I've literally seen no advertising for mgsv outside of magazine covers.

I saw a single poster in the window at my nearest Gamestop. There wasn't even a cardboard standup advertising the game.

Anth0ny

I saw a single poster in the window at my nearest Gamestop. There wasn't even a cardboard standup advertising the game.

yeah, I don't even have that at my nearby gamestops. it's COD, NBA 2K, Madden and Destiny seemingly at all times throughout the entire year.

It's just that in the E3 trailer, there's a focus on mirrors, emphasized by FOX vs XOF, Skull Face saying a bunch of stuff Big Boss said, the surreality of the scenes showing both Skullface and BB, and Skullface, other than the hat and mask, wearing exactly what BB wears in his art for MGS 1.

I assumed the focus on mirrors to be something like Skullface and Big Boss have very similar origins. It's pretty vague and I love that, though I know Kojima could've just model switched for the trailers so even things we saw could be different in the final game.

Unused Phantom Pain promo campaign

Man that title looks pretty meh. This must be Moby Dick studios. So they decided the 2015 date very early on, interesting.

Alienous

The guards in GZ talk about Skullface specifically. His voice is captured on tape and isn't the same as BB's. Paz doesn't recognise Skullface as BB during her interrogation, [GZ spoilers]
she says something like "And you will help Big Boss?" to Skullface during the after-credits stinger.

With that
mare's leg pistol
he has to.

What a cool looking weapon.

Opto

Banned

Right, but we hear and hear aboutSkull Face only from Snake's perspective. And when we actually get details about him from the MSF prisoner, he says he can't remember his face.

But it's all vague, and I love that I don't know what the hell is going on.

mf.luder

'From Fox two phantoms were born. A phantom battle waged by the vanished.'

I'm pretty sure that
Skullface does exist in flesh but dies midway, and exist only in Big Boss's mind after that.

I think something very similar. I think skull face becomes more of the imaginary angel/devil that we see on people's shoulder whispering into their ears.

brau

To the people that are still PMing me or emailing me about TPP giveaway.

Deg1hxG.jpg

So... that thread is this one.

The idea behind this is to celebrate Kojimas opus master canon saga. I think everyone that is a fan and has been a fan should have a copy of the game day one. Specially those that just don't have the means or what not. I might try to give away some more keys after release as well.

Anyways. thats that.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
With that
mare's leg pistol
he has to.

What a cool looking weapon.

Yeah. I think that's why the guards made specific reference to it. I wonder how the lever action reloading will play out mechanically.

Right, but we hear and hear aboutSkull Face only from Snake's perspective. And when we actually get details about him from the MSF prisoner, he says he can't remember his face.

No we don't. The opening cinematic and the post credit sequence are not something Snake ever sees. Historically speaking, the stinger is something the protagonist can never know, they are always played for dramatic irony.

Also, the tapes. They're as objective as the opening cinematic.

I wrote this about it a while ago:

However, there are a couple of things in GZ that I think undermine Skullface literally being Big Boss (outside of the impossible situations and voice recordings). I don't think it necessarily affects your overall point, but they do suggest that Skullface is real at some point:

1) A number of guards make reference to the Black Ops team. One pair reference Skullface directly, mentioning his "sawed off lever-action rifle". It could be a red herring, it could be a weapon Big Boss adopts in his Skullface persona, but to me It suggests the foreshadowing of an Ocelot/Olga style boss battle at some point in TPP which could lead to his death.

2) Chico is a pretty compelling argument on his own. Skullface speaks to him in Big Boss-isms and he is initially scared when Big Boss himself comes to rescue him.

However, Prisoner 12282 has a very similar experience to Chico (Big Boss-isms) and isn't scared when rescued. He even says he saw Skullface's face, although he can't remember it. This could support the Skullface is Big Boss theory, if it weren't for the fact that he recognises and clearly remembers Big Boss when rescued, which seems a little incongruous, if not quite damning.

I think Skullface quoting Big Boss has more to it than him literally being Big Boss. As a character aware of the power of language, using Big Boss' words as weapons is a way of taking on his aspect. I'm not quite sure what this suggests at this point, but literally being him seems almost crass considering the lofty concepts Kojima is throwing about.

3) Paz isn't scared of Big Boss when he rescues her either, and she arguably spent the most time with Skullface. Tellingly, the post-credit sting has this exchange:

Paz: This will save Big Boss?
Skull Face: It may.

The post-credit sting, as it has always been, is not from the main characters perspective and is something they often aren't aware of. They are specifically for the player, acting as a reversal or dramatic irony. If Paz was faced with Big Boss as Skullface, her asking this question becomes problematic.

Like I say, none of this is hard and fast, just my interpretation of events. I do believe that Big Boss will be haunted by a Skullface hallucination (amongst others), but the above (along with the impossible situations and voice recordings, which are hard to ignore) is why I believe he has to be real at some point rather than entirely a figment of BB's psychosis/split personality.

pahamrick

To the people that are still PMing me or emailing me about TPP giveaway.

Deg1hxG.jpg

So... that thread is this one.

The idea behind this is to celebrate Kojimas opus master canon saga. I think everyone that is a fan and has been a fan should have a copy of the game day one. Specially those that just don't have the means or what not. I might try to give away some more keys after release as well.

Anyways. thats that.
You're a good man Brau.

Alienous

The thing about Skullface is
he's pretty much the same person after Big Boss' 10 year coma, seemingly.

It could be interesting if
these 'words to control the subconscious' program Big Boss' mind during the coma with the Skullface personality, turning him into a sort of sleeper agent. That could explain why he is able to sleep in a bed for 10 years without someone putting a bullet in his skull, and conveniently wake up from his coma prior to an attack. Maybe it's all planned.

No we don't. The opening cinematic and the post credit sequence are not something Snake ever sees. Historically speaking, the stinger is something the protagonist can never know, they are always played for dramatic irony.

Also, the tapes. They're as objective as the opening cinematic.

I wrote this about it a while ago:

As for what you said about Big Boss using the Skullface's sawed off lever action rifle, Big Boss has one in the gamescom trailer. I'm thinking it'll be a Walter White situation where Big Boss kills Skullface sometime before the Bathroom tape scene from the E3 trailer, he listens to the tape and then slowly takes over his mannerisms, bits of his ideologies and his weapon through the course of the game.

Even
Paz 2.0
looks the same as before.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

It could be interesting if
these 'words to control the subconscious' program Big Boss' mind during the coma with the Skullface personality, turning him into a sort of sleeper agent. That could explain why he is able to sleep in a bed for 10 years without someone putting a bullet in his skull, and conveniently wake up from his coma prior to an attack. Maybe it's all planned.

That'd be damn cool but it doesn't seem to fit the set-up.

Here's an unrelated thought: is it coincidence that Kojima first revealed TPP as a horror game (Moby Dick stuff) only to later work on Silent Hill? #TeamPTinTPP

As for what you said about Big Boss using the Skullface's sawed off lever action rifle, Big Boss has one in the gamescom trailer. I'm thinking it'll be a Walter White situation where Big Boss kills Skullface sometime before the Bathroom tape scene from the E3 trailer, he listens to the tape and then slowly takes over his mannerisms, bits of his ideologies and his weapon through the course of the game.

Yeah, not unusual for Snakes to get
boss character's weapons.
:)

brau

Am new to David Bowie.

Listening now, me likey.

Thank you for another great song.

Bowie is awesome. So many good songs.

That'd be damn cool but it doesn't seem to fit the set-up.

Here's an unrelated thought: is it coincidence that Kojima first revealed TPP as a horror game (Moby Dick stuff) only to later work on Silent Hill? #TeamPTinTPP

Everytime someone brings this up... my heart breaks all over again. :( Kojima taking on horror.. it was like a dream come true.

Love live #TeamE!

Yeah, not unusual for Snakes to get
boss character's weapons.
:)

Yeah, I was just thinking that this time he'll take more than just the weapons.
Like an uninvited monologing ghost. :p

She was part of the
Les Enfants Kawaii project

That explains this,

You don't have to spoiler tag theories lol

How else do we build suspense? (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I feel like we might not get any boss battles, or rather, they'll be pretty sparse.

A battle with Quiet is confirmed ala MGS3's The End. I'm sure we'll get more, like Skullface or one of the guys in charge of the child soldiers.

I wouldn't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom