• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcZk

You guys are ok with tape listening over cutscenes?

EDIT: I thought you meant listening to tapes playing over cutscenes lol... apologize in advance for my mini rant.

My biggest peeve with GZ and from what I've seen in the TPP demos is how quickly dialog from multiple sources can overlap one another and create a clusterfuck of jumbled mumbling that you can't distinguish.

"Boss I've sent Analysis complete VIs of the Map Updated to your iDroid Boss, thats a watchtower Check your iDriod Map Updated for more information Analysis complete"

eESjTRC.png

Most of my tapes will probably be listened to outside of missions (free roam) or during the menus / using the idroid app on the crapper to avoid this issue :)

Opto

Banned
Miller's constant prattle is the most egregious in the Eliminate the Renegade Threat mission. I get it Miller, Columbia days, VIs on the target, Glas and Palitz, area of movement,. god I hope the Soviets take your tongue

brau

Yeah. As long as the cutscenes we get are awesome, I'm not worried about it. The tapes are great and can be listened to much more efficiently than the old codec.

I think i agree with this... all the cutscene work in GZ, not to mention just the snippets of cutscene to do narrative with camera work is phenomenal. More things like that would be amazing.

Also, i like scenes that change depending on what you did. Like in GZ,
rescuing Chico, if you evac the prisoners, you get to see sound from cars, instead of the camera paning to them asking for help. Its awesome!

realcZk

I went to the spoiler thread. I am not the same man anymore.

You're tainted goods. Please see yourself out.

Miller's constant prattle is the most egregious in the Eliminate the Renegade Threat mission. I get it Miller, Columbia days, VIs on the target, Glas and Palitz, area of movement,. god I hope the Soviets take your tongue

Haha I had to replay that mission a lot on hard for S rank and I think it damaged my soul.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm dying at the Miller posts here.

But it's true.

You'd think he'd just be quiet after Big Boss not talking back but he just keeps going and going.

Alienous

I am trying to find out if Hayter is in. Cuz since he is not (obviously this is speculiation, since i have not confirmed it yet), i gotta make an epic thread serving all the crow to Team A.

Don't do it man. You looked into the abyss and came back. You might not a second time.

I was so fucking sick of hearing about the Eye and the Finger when I was doing S ranks. Just shut the fuck up, Miller. That on top of constant Donna Burke telling you that the map has been updated. As someone said above, I'm not sure how satisfying listening to tapes will be during gameplay. I might just prefer more cutscenes.

You guys are ok with tape listening over cutscenes?

No, not at all, it's a lazy ass resource that games need to stop doing. Seriously.

To be clear, i'm ok with a game having less cutscenes, i'm not ok with using stuff like this to expand a story that it was supposed to be told while i was playing the game.

brau

I don't really care for the tapes either... but i do think they are better than being stuck in a codec conversation to get the exposition. Codec calls was such a bad design.

So happy everything is more in real time now.

LostAnkh

I'm doing it, I'm playing MGS3! And it is one intense game considering how different it is from the first two.

I'm enjoying it so far.

Tapes are just convenient codec calls. My biggest issue with tapes before Ground Zeroes released was that radio+tape won't feel as immediate and intimate as codec calls did. But now that you have a permanent Radio button, things look pretty good.

i'm not ok with using stuff like this to expand a story that it was supposed to be told while i was playing the game.

But...that's exactly what tapes allow, you to play the game while simultaneously expanding the story.

I love the old codecs as much as anyone else, but I would much rather be able to do my reconnaissance while listening to those conversations at the same time, rather than be staring at a still screen hearing the same dialogue, and only then being allowed to play.

Tcab96

Tapes are better so that I may play the game while I listen. While listening to the codecs were interesting, it got kind of boring.

Being able to play would help rectify that.

This thread is weird lol. Sometimes, when I wake up in the morning, it only moves one page. Other times, you find three or four passed. Do you think we'll reach the next OT before MGSV?

Alienous

I'd be cool with tapes if there is some function, perhaps one you can disable, that highlights a tape to listen to at a particular moment. So, for example, if you decide to equip a weapon, a little icon would pop up, and if you open your iDroid at that moment it will have a relevant tape highlighted for you to play.

Part of the charm of the Codec system was its contextual way of giving you information, and I hope that is still the case.

I'd be cool with tapes if there is some function, perhaps one you can disable, that highlights a tape to listen to at a particular moment. So, for example, if you decide to equip a weapon, a little icon would pop up, and if you open your iDroid at that moment it will have a relevant tape highlighted for you to play.

Part of the charm of the Codec system was its contextual way of giving you information, and I hope that is still the case.

That would be the best of both worlds really.

Peace Walker organized the tapes sort of, I can only hope that TPP will make it clear which order the tapes are meant to be heard in.

BrosephStalin

Neo Member
One thing I do like about the tapes (and I see myself doing with TPP) is that I am able to listen to all of them while I'm not playing the game. I listened to all of GZ the other day during a drive. It's awesome to constantly go back into the story even when you are unable to sit down for extended periods and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom