• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

The1Ski

I literally blur my vision and focus on just the first couple words of a new comment or source to avoid reading a potential spoiler. I should just avoid everything TPP but I'm weak.

I just want somebody to tell that the game is everything I've ever wanted and it will fill my soul with a inextinguishable light that will sustain my being for an everlasting period of time. Is that too much to ask?

Vally

I'm logging out of reddit just in case... a guy on there says he was PMed plot spoilers just because. Some people are fucking dicks

I literally blur my vision and focus on just the first couple words of a new comment or source to avoid reading a potential spoiler. I should just avoid everything TPP but I'm weak.

I just want somebody to tell that the game is everything I've ever wanted and it will fill my soul with a inextinguishable light that will sustain my being for an everlasting period of time. Is that too much to ask?

Lmao I thought I was the only one who did this.

I'm logging out of reddit just in case... a guy on there says he was PMed plot spoilers just because. Some people are fucking dicks

Wow. What huge douche. Do you have the same username ? Maybe he was a lurker and wanted to fuck with you. I am sorry for you.

You guys should avoid everything MGS related besides OuterGAF, if you don't want to get spoiled.

Also, don't read comments. Never.

I got the last Boss in Bloodborne spoiled in a news article about the new Firmware...

Vally

Wow. What huge douche. Do you have the same username ? Maybe he was a lurker and wanted to fuck with you. I am sorry for you.

No, I wasn't spoiled, it was someone on reddit who has complained about another user sending him a PM with spoilers for no reason. So I've logged out to avoid that, though I don't think I would have any problem since I barely post in there and I have a different username anyway

No, I wasn't spoiled, it was someone on reddit who has complained about another user sending him a PM with spoilers for no reason. So I've logged out to avoid that, though I don't think I would have any problem since I barely post in there and I have a different username anyway

Ouh, nice to hear :)

Infiltrating the small bases in the open world that we've seen in the various demos is cool but I really hope there's at least one intricately designed base like a mini Shadow Moses.

Staf

I don't know what's wrong with me. I've played an loved Metal gear solid 2, 3 and 4. But i just can't seem to muster up interest in Phantom pain or GZ(played it but never finished it for some reason). Maybe it's the ending to 4, which i loved, that kind of closed the franchise for me.

Kazuhira

So,i´m a little late to the party,where´re all these spoilers coming from? someone broke street date or something? anyway,we´re so damn close..i can barely contain my excitement.
It´s a shame that there´s no preload for the steam version but at least i don´t have wait 2 more weeks after the console release like it was planned in the beginning.
The Spanish (and Italian?) guide for the game was sold ahead of street date.
Thanks.

Infiltrating the small bases in the open world that we've seen in the various demos is cool but I really hope there's at least one intricately designed base like a mini Shadow Moses.

I'm hoping to see this too, but I'm not holding my breath. Though I do think I recall some larger buildings in the Africa gameplay from last year.

So,i´m a little late to the party,where´re all these spoilers coming from? someone broke street date or something? anyway,we´re so damn close..i can barely contain my excitement.
It´s a shame that there´s no preload for the steam version but at least i don´t have wait 2 more weeks after the console release like it was planned in the beginning.

The Spanish (and Italian?) guide for the game was sold ahead of street date.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just installed Ground Zeroes for the first time on PC, and it runs great on fx8350+270x @ 1080p. Visuals are far from maxed, but I guess it is on the same level as PS4 where I played the game a lot until now. Very fluid framerate and mouse&keyboard allow some crazy action to unfold [especially since I can't miss with this type of aiming]. My first playthough was quite mad since I don't know all button positions.

This is a cool project.

CNBxCFbWgAA-8yu.jpg:large

Hela

Think I'm going to pre-order the PC version, so I can start playing a day early with this New Zealand wibbily wobbly timey wimey thing.
If it unlocks midnight on the 1st their time, that would mean the game should unlock at 1 PM on the 31st for me and with Steam download speeds being great, I should be playing it well before 2 PM.

Still planning to get the PS4 version the next day, since I'm dumb when it comes to trophies and MGS games.

slash3584

So I was rewatching every trailer from the first till the last one and I noticed that in the announcement trailer (the one with the garbage's song)

when BB is in the stretcher being revived he does not have the shrapnel horn in his head.

Was this explained or it's still up for speculation?

So I was rewatching every trailer from the first till the last one and I noticed that in the announcement trailer (the one with the garbage's song)

when BB is in the stretcher being revived he does not have the shrapnel horn in his head.

Throw it on the pile with the horn varying in length over the different trailers, even though we 'know' the order of those scenes.

My theory is still that the horn isn't real, and is some imagined part of BB's "demon" persona. He sees himself with the horn, which will grow depending on his mood, but nobody else see it.

I'm not sure I'll watch it either. I want to. I want all the PP I can get, but I'd like to go in with little knowledge of the beginning. Not watching Greg's LP is going to kill me.

I'll watch them eventually, out of boredom/something for background noise while I work. Honestly his GZ playthrough wasn't very entertaining. It was funnier watching Nick try to play.

Alienous

I think it will be delayed again

I do feel like something's up with MGO.

I feel like it'll be largely F2P, or extremely barebones, or delayed again, or something.

MGO2 might have only had one pre-release trailer, but it also had a beta, and plenty of things known about it. The trailer itself showed off more than one map, also. Most of the things we know about MGO3, even things as core as what classes the players choose from, are all still speculation. What gametypes does it have? Does it have a perk system? Nobody knows. We know about the player count, one map, and a few items of wearable and weapon equipment.

Getting the game 5-6 days before release. Local mom and pop store confirmed it.

Good shit. Hopefully that transaction goes smoothly.

CassSept

I would just assume you can see spoilers everywhere. I suppose you may see them in random places, like username on Agar.io (there were some fake GoT spoilers floating there).

By the way, what exactly happened to Portable Ops? I remember at release it was mostly canon and then it gradually moved from semi canon to we don't talk about Portable Ops. I know it's not 'written and directed by Hideo Kojima' but in the first few years it was still referenced as a part of MGS canon (even being shown in MGS4) unless another game contradicts it, while now it's like they want to retcon it every existing.

Alienous

I would just assume you can see spoilers everywhere. I suppose you may see them in random places, like username on Agar.io (there were some fake GoT spoilers floating there).

By the way, what exactly happened to Portable Ops? I remember at release it was mostly canon and then it gradually moved from semi canon to we don't talk about Portable Ops. I know it's not 'written and directed by Hideo Kojima' but in the first few years it was still referenced as a part of MGS canon (even being shown in MGS4) unless another game contradicts it, while now it's like they want to retcon it every existing.

The way I interpret it Hideo Kojima took over development of Portable Ops 2 when he had finished with MGS4 (turning it into Peace Walker). He took a lot of the same elements and sort of disregarded that Portable Ops ever existed (except with a comment at the beginning of the game where a character describes the events of Portable Ops as crap that they can now leave behind; "Finally, we can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind").

Portable Ops has elements that are canon in the series. There are a few that are shown in PO but are mentioned in prior games, so would still be canon if Portable Ops didn't exist (events like
Big Boss forming Foxhound
). There are other events, like
Ocelot procuring half of the Philosopher's Legacy from the DCI, and joining the Patriots with Zero
that are shown first in Portable Ops, and are part of the canon in which MGS4 also exists.

I think it's an ego thing. Portable Ops is canon to the extent that Hideo Kojima doesn't write over its events. He didn't direct it, so it seems he's willing to invalidate it if he wishes to do something in one of his own Kojima directed games. I believe he's said pretty much that in interviews; it's isn't part of his canon, but it isn't 'not canon'. Can't say I'd expect less from a person who works at a video game development studio named after himself.

EDIT:

Here's Kojima's response. Essentially "The main storyline of Portable Ops is part of the timeline, but some of the smaller details aren't". So I think it's best to look at it as a potentially inaccurate retelling of an event that happened.

He took a lot of the same elements and sort of disregarded that Portable Ops ever existed (except with a comment at the beginning of the game where a character describes the events of Portable Ops as crap that they can now leave behind; "Finally, we can leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind").

It's not just that, the recruitment hut at the start is the same place as the fictional San Hieronymo too.
I agree it's mostly an ego thing more than anything else, I don't really expect TPP to retread any of that ground, apart from the gameplay concepts that MPO introduced like no loading screens during a mission, choosing to start a mission at night or day, spy units who actually provide you with intel instead of airdropping doritos...

Furyous

If I answer this then it's a spoiler so I am sorry... Just wait and find out in a week. I refuse to spoil anyone on this game. I would feel bad for taking away DEM FEELS when whatever should've could've would've possibly happens in the TPP. I want to feel the emotions live for the first time without knowing anything and hope no one spoils me about it.

--

Can we recklessly speculate about past Metal Gear games instead of talking about TPP since everything's a spoiler? If Solid and Liquid switch roles is Liquid successful or Does David win? The mere thought of David leading anything gives me nightmares.

Who's this Python guy that came up with a theory on S3 (MGS2 reference) and how it fit into the timeline for MGS canon historically? If I link to the post this quotes then that would be a stealth spoiler thread bad guy move so that's not happening.

NYR94

I'm happy to read excerpts from the earliest reviews/Twitter posts commenting on how the game poses more questions than answers or that its story is mysterious. We all saw what happened the last time an MGS game answered everyone's questions and tied up all the loose ends with MGS4. Not the series' best moment. Though I do feel that cut scenes will only reveal so much about the story and that players will have to listen to all of the cassette tapes to get the full story that's available. Like how in MGS3 Ocelot's parentage is never explicitly stated in a cut scene but you can figure it out by listening to an optional codec call after the Ocelot boss fight with EVA and how it supports what the Boss says in her speech before you fight her. The fact that James Horan made it sound like he didn't work on MGSV for long makes me think that we're going to learn more about him from other people's accounts of him through cut scenes or tapes rather than what we see him do.

Hey guys, on my Ground Zeroes PS4 package it says that I can unlock bonus stuff in Phantom Pain. Is it referring to the recruits I get after importing my GZ save into TPP or something else? I seem to remember a website on the Internet on which you could enter some code. I am mistaken?

There are definitely a decent sized group of fans who expect the game to be designed with the purpose of filling in missing gaps in metal gear wikis and contain every event involving big boss that's ever been described by a character.

I feel like I'm in the minority in wanting something fairly self contained, it's not like it's a big secret that there's no grand plan to the series before each entry is written.

Alienous

There are definitely a decent sized group of fans who expect the game to be designed with the purpose of filling in missing gaps in metal gear wikis and contain every event involving big boss that's ever been described by a character.

I feel like I'm in the minority in wanting something fairly self contained, it's not like it's a big secret that there's no grand plan to the series before each entry is written.

I'm not expecting a good story, following MGS4 and Peace Walker, so I at least hope I can get some explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom