• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Is it OK to post review stuff here? This quote from the Kinda Funny Games review seems pretty disappointing (Spoilered just in case even though there is no spoilers in this quote):

Greg Miller (Kinda Funny Games) - "This game lacks..the "Metal Gear Moment" - I don't know what that is for you, but for me that's...Hal kneeling over Sniper Wolf and her giving that awesome monologue as she dies and him crying and Snake being there and staring up at the stars and stuff where you're like holy crap that was awesome"

This seems really weird, considering the reveal trailer alone was full of those.

Guys, if you had any fears about the story, listen to Yong Yea's audio impressions (spoiler free). It instantly wiped the fears from my mind and now I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

I've went from being disappointed to see the story reports to being the most hyped about the game I've ever been.

Teknoman

I gotta ask. Ever since the concept of tranq guns and tranq bonuses in Metal Gear, I've always felt "forced" to only tranq or knock out enemies. Now in MGS3, the shotguns and assault rifles always felt great to use with bosses, but then you come to something like MGS4 or even Ground Zeroes, and I end up feeling like having so many different lethal choices are pointless. I suppose if you kill someone, there is no chance of them coming back to mess up your mission, but does anyone find themselves ever not sticking to just one weapon?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I gotta ask. Ever since the concept of tranq guns and tranq bonuses in Metal Gear, I've always felt "forced" to only tranq or knock out enemies. Now in MGS3, the shotguns and assault rifles always felt great to use with bosses, but then you come to something like MGS4 or even Ground Zeroes, and I end up feeling like having so many different lethal choices are pointless. I suppose if you kill someone, there is no chance of them coming back to mess up your mission, but does anyone find themselves ever not sticking to just one weapon?

yeah, but don't worry, in TPP enemies adapt to your playstyle so if you only use tranq guns then they'll get helmets and you won't be able to use them anymore

pahamrick

yeah, but don't worry, in TPP enemies adapt to your playstyle so if you only use tranq guns then they'll get helmets and you won't be able to use them anymore

You can still knock the helmets off, of course, but it makes things a little trickier if you want to tranq without being noticed if there's a group of enemies.

I've always done my first playthrough as a mixture of stealth/tranq/lethal, whichever fit the situation best with what I had available at the time.

Sounds fair! I'll be doing the same, no offense Greg ;)

I've skipped the first 10-15 minutes and after messing around at Mother Base he is essentially just free roaming in Afghanistan. I'm currently at 41 minutes and he is going to start mission number 4 now. What I've seen of the first 10 minutes I wouldn't call spoilery anyway, but I just decided I rather watch that during my own playthrough.

so here's my biggest question - MGS 2 and 3 were probably 15 hour games first playthrough, MGS1 was probably 12-15, MGS4 was probably 20 on the high estimate.

If MGS5 is 40 hours just to complete is the story "sparse" or is it just slightly less cutscenes spread out over double as much gameplay?

I wouldn't care if it's the same amounts of story just spread out across more missions and more gameplay.

but if there's only 2 hours of cutscenes and most of them are people getting off helicopters and saying "boy that was some mission, boss" idk how i feel about that.

pahamrick

so here's my biggest question - MGS 2 and 3 were probably 15 hour games first playthrough, MGS1 was probably 12-15, MGS4 was probably 20 on the high estimate.

If MGS5 is 40 hours just to complete is the story "sparse" or is it just slightly less cutscenes spread out over double as much gameplay?

I wouldn't care if it's the same amounts of story just spread out across more missions and more gameplay.

but if there's only 2 hours of cutscenes and most of them are people getting off helicopters and saying "boy that was some mission, boss" idk how i feel about that.

I think MGSV might be harder to quantify. Like, Greg said he's played 50 some hours and only 49% complete, but how many of those hours did he spend replaying missions for S-Ranks, or materials, soldiers for motherbase, ect.

sexyelder

Anyone think the low regard for the story in the reviews may be due to a lack of understanding of events and characters from previous and future games, along with a lack of listening to tapes? Idk yong seemed to really enjoy the story. Maybe its mgs 2 again with a shit story at first but as people play and discover new things it will really earn the title of Kojima's Magnus Opus.

Teknoman

Whoa?! Really?! Damn that's awesome!

You can still knock the helmets off, of course, but it makes things a little trickier if you want to tranq without being noticed if there's a group of enemies.

I've always done my first playthrough as a mixture of stealth/tranq/lethal, whichever fit the situation best with what I had available at the time.

Yeah I think that's probably the best way to go.

Kindekuma

Banned
Anyone think the low regard for the story in the reviews may be due to a lack of understanding of events and characters from previous and future games, along with a lack of listening to tapes? Idk yong seemed to really enjoy the story. Maybe its mgs 2 again with a shit story at first but as people play and discover new things it will really earn the title of Kojima's Magnus Opus.

People might not appreciate it initially but I believe that the story has great potential in the future.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

considering how many people didnt even bother reading a wikipedia summary of Peace Walker before GZ, it's certainly possible

that's true. it's important to remember that these reviews (other than yong) are from people who might not even have played the previous games in the series or haven't played them since their original release years ago.

I'm not going to worry about the story stuff yet.

A-V-B

I'm sitting here wondering how I'm going to avoid spoilers for the next eight days. Staying off YouTube will probably be key.

I'm sitting here wondering how I'm going to avoid spoilers for the next eight days. Staying off YouTube will probably be key.

Turn off all chat boxes, turn off all comments sections, train yourself to immediately shut down the moment any screenshot or text related to MGSV appears.

AKA, what nanomachines were made for.

MattyG

Banned
Guys, if you had any fears about the story, listen to Yong Yea's audio impressions (spoiler free). It instantly wiped the fears from my mind and now I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

I've went from being disappointed to see the story reports to being the most hyped about the game I've ever been.
I was going to stop at the Kinda Funny review and not watch anything else, but I may listen to Yong's too now if it's spoiler free.

FiraB

Banned
Just finished watching Greg's LP because I caved, spoiler free almost.
He basically shows off the start of MB and does some free-roam, finds DD and goes back to MB again to show off DD, then shows off some customization of base color and emblem creation.

Nothing big.

It does however have the miller cutscene after you rescue him...

Alienous

Ooof, FireB. Could you get some tags on that.

That's quite revealing as to when certain events are available to you. And we've said quite a few times how we want the Community Thread to be a spoiler-free zone.

I thought there was a separate thread to discuss the LP.

FiraB

Banned
Ooof, FireB. Could you get some tags on that.

That's quite revealing as to when certain events are available to you. And we've said quite a few times how we want the Community Thread to be a spoiler-free zone.
sorry bro, did it on the ipad, touch recog isnt accuracte on this old ipad2 anymore.

I meant the let's play

I didn't really find anything truly spoilerish, but it still shows you things in a certain context so if it contains spoilers depends from person to person. I also skipped the first 10-15 minutes, because I wanted to see that on my own playthrough. FiraB has a good summary of the Let's Play, if you are willing to read what's underneath his spoiler tags.

Rajang

I just love the fact that the last Metal Gear i'll be playing is PW's big brother.

the GOAT.

tumblr_lw4e3yPclH1qd6p6fo1_500.gif

Venom Fox

Banned
I told you guys that NOBODY has seen the ending multiple times, this is the reason the reviewers don't "get" it. I wish i could say more but I'd be in spoiler territory so i won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom