• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Scrub mode is available right off the bat.

Does hard get harder? I mean R-00 and R-01 has been pretty easy so far on Hard outside of me fucking up Parries and having to get into blade mode to recharge health, but nothing too bad if you're willing to game over at times to learn it.

I dunno how bad Revengence or Very Hard would be.

I must be really easy to please. I'm quite a few chapters in and I'm really enjoying the story, and the only weak voice actor is George.

This really does feel like Metal Gear to me, from the bosses babbling, to the large amount of codec conversations, all with that touch of craziness and Platinum.

I'm loving every second of it.

Teknoman

Do you still get trophies when using DLC bodies/weapons? I'm going to attempt to play ala DmC, each difficulty with a different costume/skin/whatever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Does hard get harder? I mean R-00 and R-01 has been pretty easy so far on Hard outside of me fucking up Parries and having to get into blade mode to recharge health, but nothing too bad if you're willing to game over at times to learn it.

I dunno how bad Revengence or Very Hard would be.

Ehhh, kinda. It has some spikes for the tougher fights, and later levels demand more attention than early ones due to the stronger, more aggressive enemy variations, but it's still manageable. Especially if you're upgrading your sword strength. Focusing on upgrading one weapon instead of buying everything makes a huge difference.

Very Hard and Revengeance not only increase damage and aggression, but remix the encounters so you're fighting harder units more often.

Final Boss is best character in the game, and could probably take on take on all the MGS final bosses at the same time

hell, he would just elbow drop them mothafuckas into oblivion

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also, to give an idea of how Very Hard remixes the encounters, during R-00 (the prologue chapter), and the very first encounter of that stage (literally the game's opening):

Hard: ~6 or so generic human grunts armed with swords and guns. Parry, kill.
Very Hard: ~6 or so generic grunts, one armed with a rocket launcher, a Gekko, and two bladewolves.

Also, to give an idea of how Very Hard remixes the encounters, during R-00 (the prologue chapter), and the very first encounter of that stage (literally the game's opening):

Very Hard: ~6 or so generic grunts, one armed with a rocket launcher, a Gekko, and two bladewolves.

Wonder what the Revengeance difficulty remix looks like.

Welp, that was Hard Mode. 15 continues, but there was a bunch of boss encounters where I'd fuck up in the first 15 seconds or so and go, "fuck it, restart" so yeah.

Now to find these collectibles, do these VR missions, and get REVEGEANCE

Pachinko

I played a stage of this but due to my oldmanitis I'm too tired to continue, so I only finished stage 0. I had played this at pax prime months ago but forgot mostly how to play it properly and it showed- died on the metal gear 3 times on normal mode because I didn't time my dodge slide correctly. Ah well, It's enjoyable and stupidly ridiculous so far.

Robot Pants

Ninja Run to prevent the stray bullets, I'd wager is going to be abused for that mode.

Yea but you can still get hit when trying to take someone out. Even in blade mode. I missed an S ranking on R01 because I lost .65 health due to a bullet. Of course I retried and did it again, until I got the S rank but still.

JoeFenix

I'm up to chapter 4 on hard, really liking it but it has some issues.

Camera is my main problem, it's just really questionable at times, at best it's functional and at it's worst it's just plain awful. I've had quite a few jank moments, falling off buildings because of a Zandatsu animation, killing me in the process.

I love the Winds of Destruction dudes but some of the dialogue from George was really really bad. Some of the environments also don't look or feel very Metal Gear'ish at all, not the biggest fan of boring ass regular warehouses.

It feels inconsistent, sometimes it feels very MG and sometimes it just feels really off.

I'm having alot of fun with it but I'm also weirded out by the game, it just doesn't feel as polished as I thought it was going to. Super short dev cycle really shows.

Didn't expect to feel this way about it, was easily my most anticipated game this year and I feel slightly disappointed at this point.

jett

D-Member

Yeah but it's a pointless remix because you can just skip it all and it won't affect your grade at all, lulz.

It's an 8/10, a very good game, if not GotY material. Platinum should be commended for turning in a game this good with how short that development time was. Maybe my opinion changes on harder difficulties, but it's below Bayonetta, and around the same level of Vanquish.

JoeFenix

Give it some time to sink in; i've seen this game's title on your psn comment so i know howbpumped you've been. Sometimes it takes a bit for expectations and reality to align so there's hope yet :)

Well, I felt like the first 2 chapters were absolutely fantastic and then the next 2 were where the jank started showing up.

Like I said I'm still having alot of fun but I expected it to be tighter. We'll see how I feel about it when I finish it tommorow!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Jesus Platinum didnt even take the time to have the JP voices match up to the lips of the characters in the game.

The models animations were set to match the english voices.

Talk about cutting corners.

Jesus Platinum didnt even take the time to have the JP voices match up to the lips of the characters in the game.

The models animations were set to match the english voices.

Talk about cutting corners.

Better than every Metal Gear ever, actually, in that respect, where the voices don't match in any language.

Dahbomb

It's an 8/10, a very good game, if not GotY material. Platinum should be commended for turning in a game this good with how short that development time was. Maybe my opinion changes on harder difficulties, but it's below Bayonetta, and around the same level of Vanquish.
My opinion of the game equals yours and Jett's. Its an 8/10 game from me THUS far, might change on harder difficulties to 8.5.

More indepth impressions will come tomorrow.

jett

D-Member
Just defeated Monsoon on very hard. So far none of the bosses have changed much if at all. I think S-ranking Revengeance will be the most interesting part of the game, although I kind of fear it due to how much random and luck-based bullshit this game has when you attempt S-ranks.

should I start on normal or hard?

The demo started off kinda hard for me, but once I figured out how the parry system works, I was parryin like crazy and it get a lot easier, but that was just the demo.

jett

D-Member
should I start on normal or hard?

The demo started off kinda hard for me, but once I figured out how the parry system works, I was parryin like crazy and it get a lot easier, but that was just the demo.

I played the demo a lot and normal turned out to be quite easy for me. I'd start on hard.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, even the title screen save time is obviously waaaaay off. Been playing for like an hour and it registers as 35 minutes. That was just R-0.

Anyways. Oh. My. God.

Platinum Games :bow

edit: Bought the MGS4 suit DLC, but you still have to unlock it in game.

The difference between hard and very hard is rather significant.... I can only imagine what the hardest difficulty is like..

I need to get used to the parry system again... maybe it's just me but I don't remember having this much trouble with the camera in the demo... and I played that a number of times.

I think there might be a bug on Revengeance difficulty. So I posted earlier about my frustration on a certain phase of a boss. After RS4- looked up in his guide what it said about that part, it didn't make sense what I was doing. I thought I had to fight to a certain point on the health meter, but the guide said you had to last like a few minutes. It suggested having spare Nanopaste. I didn't have any when I was originally trying the fight, and no matter what I did I would lose. So I restarted the level and saved my Nanopaste for that part, and behold after a short time I get hit and the next sequence triggers. My fights earlier lasted much longer than the fight I finally succeeded in, and I got the boss' health down much lower in the fights I was losing, too. Not sure what is up, but unless the damage/time for the boss scales to your Nanopastes, I'm pretty sure this could be a bug. Thoughts.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Pretty cool game overall, though do see what the people are talking about with camera issues. At times do have to fight with the damned thing, which is a bit of an irritation considering am playing on hard and would like to focus more on the fight itself.

Overall though as expected excellent action game with over the top production and events expected of platinum games. Dont regret this purchase.

Alchemy

I feel absolutely retarded, I can't get down the parry timing at fucking all. Half the time I block, which I THINK is late timing? A quarter of the time I fucking dash at the enemy and the other quarter I swing the sword hopelessly at my attacker doing nothing. Why does the damn X button have to do everything in the game?

Stuck on the last boss on hard mode with no nanopastes.
Go to Chapter Select and replay the last level to stock up on nanopastes.
My earlier reply about the final boss if you're interested: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47950643&postcount=4186

Where the hell are all these data storage items? I've searched every level and I'm missing a bunch.
Collectible Guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyyK_25PTCU

Just started Very Hard, it's no joke. Is the Konami Code the only way to unlock Revengeance difficulty? I didn't know about it until 5 minutes ago, I've already unlocked Very Hard through completing Hard mode.

I feel absolutely retarded, I can't get down the parry timing at fucking all. Half the time I block, which I THINK is late timing? A quarter of the time I fucking dash at the enemy and the other quarter I swing the sword hopelessly at my attacker doing nothing. Why does the damn X button have to do everything in the game?

The enemies have a red flash that goes with their orange glow that signals the moment you should best parry.

Top Bottom