• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

demidar

Personally, I'd move the camera lock to the R3 and make the R2 button weapon switch.

Actually what about merging Ninja Run and lock-on to R1? Tap to lock-on, hold to Ninja Run. Then you can move weapon switch to R2 without needing to click in the sticks. I hate clicking in sticks.

Beat the game on Hard and loved the shit out of it. Wish there was an easy way to re-fight bosses though. Having to go through the whole mission again really sucks.

Haven't played a new game with combat this satisfying in a while.

Dem Gekko's on hard are no joke. My strategy of air combo'ing them from the demo is useless.

Parry, parry, parry! Back em into a corner, parry, then Y+B or whatever the combo is on PS3. Bam, done.

Beat the game on Hard and loved the shit out of it. Wish there was an easy way to re-fight bosses though. Having to go through the whole mission again really sucks.

Boss rush would be the best thing for this game, seriously.

Teknoman

Sombrero
Raiden needs to be unlockable or added in a free patch.

Also is
Wolf
the same one you fought early on, just re-purposed?

Sombrero
Raiden needs to be unlockable or added in a free patch.

Also is
Wolf
the same one you fought early on, just re-purposed?
1. It becomes available after the cutscene featuring it, or maybe after the chapter is over. Either way it's available.
2. Yes.

ezekial45

Banned
Actually what about merging Ninja Run and lock-on to R1? Tap to lock-on, hold to Ninja Run. Then you can move weapon switch to R2 without needing to click in the sticks. I hate clicking in sticks.
I don't know, camera lock and ninja run are too different feature to be on the same button. It could potentially pose some problems when in a pinch. Pressure sensitive buffer or not. To me, anyway. I'd much prefer the stick.

DSix

Banned
What is the difference between a "Beat 'em up" (e.g. Anarchy Reigns) and "Character action" (e.g. Metal Gear Rising)?

To precisely answer this: Character Action are more story driven and have more varied objectives and playstyles, while Beat'them'up stay pretty bare-bones in their campaign design, along with simpler controls.

deim0s

There are 38 PDF pages from the official MGR strategy guide available for free download (including coverage of the Monsoon boss battle), might come in handy for some:

www.piggyback.com/en/

Thanks... since amazon is delaying on shipping the guides. Took a quick peek. Grunts health from normal to hard is quite a big jump: 55-65 110-130. No wonder starting on hard with no upgrades attacks feel weak.

I dont think Ive ever really cared much for a Metal Gear soundtrack aside from the main themes and credits but this game...man, feel so pumped playing and listening to it. The boss themes are awesome.

It's fine, but I much prefer it as a separate mode.

Personally I think Ninja gaiden still does this the best. some of the combinations are gotdamn insane but soooooooooo satisfying when you finally beat them.

That said Marcus/Alma/Doku on such a small platform in NGB is Still the stuff of Nightmares. That and triple fiend genshin

I can only imagine a
bladewolf/monson/haggar battle.

yum

demidar

It's fine, but I much prefer it as a separate mode.

It can only be a boss rush if it's a different mode. Nero's dice climb thing in DMC4 was more like a gauntlet but Dante wasn't in it and you couldn't play as Dante either (you could if you modded a PC version though). It seems like MGR would benefit greatly from a boss rush mode since most of the boss fights are duels.

MormaPope

Banned
HELLO.

IS EVERYONE IN HERE TALKING ABOUT HOW AMAZING MONSOON WAS.

CAUSE.

GOD DAMN.

The cutscenes before it are god tier in awesomeness. About to fight Monsoon myself.

Honestly, the story hasn't disappointed me at all, I'd rank Rising's story way above Bayonetta's, Rising has better characters too.

Carbonox

Personally I think Ninja gaiden still does this the best. some of the combinations are gotdamn insane but soooooooooo satisfying when you finally beat them.

That said Marcus/Alma/Doku on such a small platform in NGB is Still the stuff of Nightmares. That and triple fiend genshin

It's a shame Ninja Gaiden Black is the only god tier action game I've yet to play (and have no way of playing it). A HD remixed version would be something. Though I wouldn't want Team Ninja anywhere near a HD version.

chrono01

Well I started earlier tonight [just completed R-01] and....MY GOD...this game...

I have no words.

I started on Normal since I can easily see myself going through this one multiple times. I'm designating my first run to gather as many of the collectibles as I can, and upgrading Raiden. I'll then carry him over into Hard and, hopefully, from there Very Hard. I'm not sure I have the patience for Revengeance...

The music, though. These are some of the best boss tracks I've ever heard. They fit each fight so perfectly and really enhances the mood/tension. It's just really...really good.

I'll absolutely be purchasing the vocal tracks CD.

It's a shame Ninja Gaiden Black is the only god tier action game I've yet to play (and have no way of playing it). A HD remixed version would be something. Though I wouldn't want Team Ninja anywhere near a HD version.

Sigma? Isn't that the first HD remaster of this generation (and arguably one of the best)?

you only lose a really horrible swimming section, and gain Rachel levels and missions.

Outside making the water run easier and increased loading times its the same game

It's sigma 2 which butchers it's source game.

Carbonox

Does that really count though? When people refer to Black, they refer to Black itself, unless Sigma really is a modern version of Black with all the same awesome sauce? I haven't played much of Sigma to know much about if it is the exact same. I always figured it was just Ninja Gaiden 1 redux as opposed to Black redux.

Dead

well not really...yet
Im such a scrub lol. Took me 2 hours to finish R-01 on Hard.

To be fair a lot of that was dying and restarting at Blade Wolf due to trying and failing to parry properly. Pretty sure I finally got it down.

I know it's been said, but man, the music is crazy good. Mistral song = omg

Does that really count though? When people refer to Black, they refer to Black itself, unless Sigma really is a modern version of Black with all the same awesome sauce? I haven't played much of Sigma to know much about if it is the exact same. I always figured it was just Ninja Gaiden 1 redux as opposed to Black redux.

See above. it's basically the same game. Rachel sections are a bit shit but it doesn't take away from how amazeballs the game is.

demidar

Seems to me Blade Wolf is a roadblock set by the designers to force people to learn how to parry. If you can't get past that you'll have no hope getting through later levels.

MormaPope

Banned
Just did the Monsoon boss battle.

Personal opinion, this is better than Bayonetta. Bayonetta definitely has deeper combat and probably more replayability, but Rising is the type of game I've wanted forever.

I love to think of grand and dumbly awesome ideas, and this game stumps my mind in how fucking wicked shit can get. Parrying 20 attacks in a row and then slicing through thrown helicopters and tanks within dozens of seconds is awe inspiring.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just did the Monsoon boss battle.

Personal opinion, this is better than Bayonetta. Bayonetta definitely has deeper combat and probably more replayability, but Rising is the type of game I've wanted forever.

Trying to remember all of the combos was a huge headache in Bayonetta, still awesome game too though and really need to get back to it one of these days.

Dead

well not really...yet
Seems to me Blade Wolf is a roadblock set by the designers to force people to learn how to parry. If you can't get past that you'll have no hope getting through later levels.
On Hard it did kinda feel like that.

Like the game was saying "LEARN HOW TO DO IT RIGHT OR FUCK OFF AND DIE"

winstano

Started a second run-through on Hard last night. The upgrades etc gained in the first playthrough make it seem much more straightforward second time around, I've been getting the odd S Rank here and there, but I never did on the first playthrough!

MormaPope

Banned
Trying to remember all of the combos was a huge headache in Bayonetta, still awesome game too though and really need to get back to it one of these days.

I started a new game again in Bayonetta and I'm trying to learn a lot more combos, I beat it on normal and got through half of the game on hard but I didn't explore the combat system enough.

But that Monsoon battle man, parrying both in the fog and during his extensive combos was so rad I don't know how to explain it. I remember a huge parrying streak and I was shocked I didn't get a scratch on me.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
That's exactly how it felt to me in the demo. And that's just great boss design.

"You didn't bother parrying during the stage? PARRY EXAM NAO!"

rvy

Banned
1361207048917sjdrz.jpg

FUCKING FRIDAY ISN'T COMING ANY TIME SOON.

chrono01

Well I just ordered the Vocal Tracks CD. I did so via CDJapan [since Amazon was out of stock] and secured the First Press Edition. Supposedly the cover is shiny or something, should be interesting to see. It cost me around $29 shipped [to Canada], which isn't too bad.

I'm glad to support this game in any way I can. :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I started a new game again in Bayonetta and I'm trying to learn a lot more combos, I beat it on normal and got through half of the game on hard but I didn't explore the combat system enough.

But that Monsoon battle man, parrying both in the fog and during his extensive combos was so rad I don't know how to explain it. I remember a huge parrying streak and I was shocked I didn't get a scratch on me.

I remember that to beat some of those challenge things and esp where I got stuck if you didnt know all the combos and what not you just could not clear the challenge mission D: thats where I gave up for a while and never went back since. Need to finish it since even with a tiny head bayonetta is damned sexy~

rvy

Banned
They changed my pre-order to the steelbook version.

HNNNNG

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Limited Edition Guide shipped. Aw yeah.

UGH I hate the world. My local Famicom House refused to sell me the game a day early. They showed me an email they got from Konami saying "Don't break street date!" The same thing happens with SE games at this place, but I've never had this problem with Konami stuff. Maybe it's cause it's an MG game. Sigh.

Top Bottom