• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
My copy from Amazon arrived today, but still no DLC email code? Anyone get that yet?

I got my code via email on Monday and got the game today. I'd email their promotional CS reps if you don't get the code by tomorrow.

Mupod

The voice acting is 'House of the Dead 2'-bad.. Holy crap I was not expecting this!

I don't think you remember HOTD2 very well.

The only cringeworthy VA I've seen in this game is George...I have no idea what the hell they were thinking.

I seriously enjoy ham-mode Quinton Flynn though.

jett

D-Member
I don't have that mode. This is basically the first fight lol.

My problem is that these QTEs are annoying as hell to escape from. It is silly that I'm dying to that more than anything else.

Can I parry it without air parry unlocked?

What, are you playing very hard on you first time playing the game? That's not smart. Start on hard.

robot

Combat definitely takes some getting used to. No dodge or block is an interesting approach.

Sucks that I bought the DLC costume (original MGS4 raiden) and still have to spend 20,000 BP's to unlock it :/

Do you have to do anything special in boss fights to unlock things or anything to look out for? Or just fight and win?

Also, I found an Endurance +1 in a chest. Does this mean I actually got an upgrade, or just unlocked the ability to buy it? If its the former, does that mean you can kind of "waste" BP on stuff you'll get from chests anyway?

Mupod

Do you have to do anything special in boss fights to unlock things or anything to look out for? Or just fight and win?

Also, I found an Endurance +1 in a chest. Does this mean I actually got an upgrade, or just unlocked the ability to buy it? If its the former, does that mean you can kind of "waste" BP on stuff you'll get from chests anyway?

you get the upgrade immediately, and it stacks regularly with the ones you buy. Refills your hp too, which is nice.

Ugh, hate sewer levels. Perfect opportunity to introduce those damned
gorilla bots
, I guess.

Hard mode was the perfect difficulty to start on, though.

No dodge or block is an interesting approach.

Uh...what? You can buy the dodge for 3000-6000 BP or so, and executing a parry too early creates a block.

Riposte

What, are you playing very hard on you first time playing the game? That's not smart. Start on hard.

I should be alright... it is just these stupid ass QTEs. Really fed up with them. I have to be doing something wrong. Sometimes I get out easy other times I can't get out no matter how hard I mash.

I found an Endurance +1 in a chest. Does this mean I actually got an upgrade, or just unlocked the ability to buy it? If its the former, does that mean you can kind of "waste" BP on stuff you'll get from chests anyway?
Endurance+1 from chest extend your life bar by 10%, it's instantaneous, your life bar gets longer as soon as you pick it up. You can buy health upgrade with BP but you can't achieve maximum health (200%) by purchasing the upgrades alone.

Teknoman

chuck.gif

what's the rub then :p Parrying is essential in this game. Just defending leaves you open to attacks from other enemies, and you just don't look as cool!

I want to look cool! :(

I'll figure it out i'm sure...at least I hope lol. Its not exactly as easy as witch time, but I guess once you get used to it, it'll be sorta second nature.

Riposte

These QTEs are breaking my spirit. I'll just go Hard then. (It is pretty unfortunate because I can deal with every other enemy but these gorillas so far.)

Mashing to get un-dizzy or get out of grabs just sucks. It is bad in fighting games and it is bad in action games.

jett

D-Member
I should be alright... it is just these stupid ass QTEs. Really fed up with them. I have to be doing something wrong. Sometimes I get out easy other times I can't get out no matter how hard I mash.

Dude, you're getting enemies that are supposed to be introduced several stages later. You're going to get fucked in the ass.

NANOMACHINES, SON!
KuGsj.gif

And yes, going crazy on the control stick of stun states is fuckin' terrible. Stop doing it, Platinum. It's bad.

MormaPope

Banned
Just finished chapter 1 on hard with a B grade. The game isn't really difficult due to being able to spam the parry move in the middle of enemy/boss combos. That being said the game is incredibly fair and such.

Mistral went down pretty damn easy, really dug the fight overall.

Just beat it. My play time was
3:51
I beat every enemy I saw, and didn't really bother stealthing any of it. The combat was too fun for me to want to kill people instantly.
My rankings were all B's, one A, and two C's.
My favorite boss was
Monsoon.

That story was fucking ridiculous. In a good way. It was fun.

Overall, my impressions are good. It could've used one or two more chapters, and the story wasn't what I expected. The gameplay was great though, as was the soundtrack. I'm going to replay it on hard now, and I'm also going to try to get rid of those two C's. I'm ashamed of them, but my excuse is that the damn QTEs got me on both of them.

Just finished chapter 1 on hard with a B grade. The game isn't really difficult due to being able to spam the parry move in the middle of enemy/boss combos. That being said the game is incredibly fair and such.

Mistral went down pretty damn easy, really dug the fight overall.

The song that plays during that fight makes it even better.

I-hate-u

Since I am a big noob:

Is there a dodge command?

Can u run on walls like in demo?

Can you double jump?

Can you back flip?

Can you roll?

I can never parry anything. Any tips?

Thanks ya'll

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Raiden's VA is pretty trash. What happened here. You ain't Bale Batman, yo.

This is pretty dope otherwise.

MormaPope

Banned
The song that plays during that fight makes it even better.

I'd go on record and say Rising has the best action game soundtrack ever, the music motivates and amps you up. Can't say the same about the grunge whispering that's been in every Devil May Cry game.

Bayonetta had a good soundtrack but you can barely call it a soundtrack, felt like there were a total of four songs.

Since I am a big noob:

Can you double jump?

Can you back flip?

Can you roll?

Thanks ya'll

Yes, square plus cross on PS3, A plus X on 360. You gotta buy it, though. I think it's called defensive offensive?

Not that I could see, no.

Nope.

Huh? You can jump backwards.

Nope.

Just press your analog stick and light attack towards an enemy as soon as they flash. It's simple once you get the hang of it. You can even do it during combos.

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
Plz dont take that as a peg at this game. I accept the differences between this and other combo games but i would appreciate more combos :D

It is nice to have more combos, I admit, but how much combos Rising have is not, by any measure, a sign that this game doesn't have depth. You can have hundreds of combos, but if the enemies doesn't force you to use those combos, you will just end up with one or two of your favorite combos all the way.

Robot Pants

I don't think you remember HOTD2 very well.

The only cringeworthy VA I've seen in this game is George...I have no idea what the hell they were thinking.

I seriously enjoy ham-mode Quinton Flynn though.
George is like Jar Jar Binks. I can't understand a word he's saying

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished chapter 3. The game is a blast and the bosses have been nuts so far. Gotta love the vocals kicking in on the last phase of each fight.

Just beat it. My play time was
3:51
I beat every enemy I saw, and didn't really bother stealthing any of it. The combat was too fun for me to want to kill people instantly.
Exactly lol. Like everytime they were like
"you can engage if you wish"
I was like fuck that I'm going in.. For me most satisfying combat since Bayonetta and God hand. Parry feels really nice...

MormaPope

Banned
Since I am a big noob:

Yes, you have to buy it in the customization menu. That menu is in the codec menu and going to it will reset you back to the nearest checkpoint.

No

Can you double jump?

Haven't heard or seen that yet. I'd guess no.

Can you back flip?

No.

Can you roll?

No.

Don't be afraid to mash the parry command once you spot an enemy swinging or attacking, the red flash is always a good warning but don't parry as you see that. Wait just a tiny bit until you see the enemy start their attack.

Thanks ya'll

Hope that helps.

at first i loved this game and chopping guys in half and absorbing their spines. but then the long leg monsters started kicking my ass, and i wanted to drive over my playstation with my car. but then i learned how to fight them and i love this game again

This game is insane.
End of chapter 3 (lorenz force guy haha), 3 hours in, am I playing too fast, feels like there isn't all that much left...

ezekial45

Banned
The Doktor told me I unlocked something after collecting some arms, but I haven't found anything in the customize menu.

What gives?

Astral

Based on the prologue or w/e. Hard feels too easy. Very Hard was just right until that gorilla showed up.

I started the game on Hard and I also felt that the prologue was really easy. Chapter 1 is pretty easy too until you get to Mistral, and that's more annoying than hard because of the damn
Dwarf Gekko
. Chapter 2 got hard as hell at the end though, and Chapter 3 throws so much shit at you. I'm only by Chapter 4 so far.

MormaPope

Banned
Mistral was easy as hell for me on hard, you just gotta keep ninja running and light slicing so you don't get grabbed. Then when you're close hit her enough with light attacks to trigger a Zandatsu moment to rid her of her weapon.

I also bought all the upgrades available in the first chapter though, so that might be why the fight was really easy.

Gbraga

If I'm not mistaken there is a backflip actually, but I don't remember how I did it (IF I did it), I'll play the demo and see if I can find the exact command for it.

Top Bottom