• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Dr Dogg

Well finally got my dispatch email and should my copy should be winging its way to me. Good jobs there's something happening tonight at 11pm GMT to take my mind off the wait.

Teknoman

I don't think there's a more apt description for MGR than hack and slash.

Stab and grab :p

Anyway, im seriously surprised people are having trouble with the first gekko on hard. Maybe its because I played the demo so much, but gekkos really arent that hard. Now once you get to some of the new enemies in the second mission, that I can understand.

Anyway, this is more like Ninja Gaiden, planning and countering attacks/ taking out enemies as quickly and efficiently as possible. Dont try to play it where you're just attacking wildly all over the place.

Jarmel

Banned
Stab and grab :p

Anyway, im seriously surprised people are having trouble with the first gekko on hard. Maybe its because I played the demo so much, but gekkos really arent that hard. Now once you get to some of the new enemies in the second mission, that I can understand.

Anyway, this is more like Ninja Gaiden, planning and countering attacks/ taking out enemies as quickly and efficiently as possible. Dont try to play it where you're just attacking wildly all over the place.

The Gekkos aren't bad and even the gorillas aren't. What was a nightmare was those fucking trio in the sewer. Jesus. Feels like you're being assaulted everywhere and then the stun factor too...

Cajun

Neo Member
This game is simply amazing on every level. I didn't play Bayonetta (just haven't gotten to it yet), and the last beat 'em up I played that had this much style was DMC3. IMO, just the fact that I can compare MGR to DMC3 says a lot about the quality of this game. It's so over the top (i.e. Raiden BM with MG's blade arm, Sam's katana sheath) that the gameplay could be below average (it's certainly not) and I would still be entertained for a playthrough.

I wish they hadn't cut corners in development to meet the release, as I think this game would be perfect if Platinum had its development from beginning to end with all the time they needed. Sadly, it really shows in the last few missions. The game is still fantastic though.

Currently on a second playthrough on Hard, and while MGR isn't extremely difficult, the fact that I can't parry consistently (my controller's left analog is worn to the point that it slightly sticks in certain directions and makes parrying a pain. Not the game's fault, I know) will inevitably come to bite me in the ass, probably in later stages of Very Hard. Defensive Offensive has become my best friend as a result of this.

jett

D-Member
The Gekkos aren't bad and even the gorillas aren't. What was a nightmare was those fucking trio in the sewer. Jesus. Feels like you're being assaulted everywhere and then the stun factor too...

Play VR Mission 18. Two mastiffs("gorillas"), one hit kills. lololol.

;__;

Oh and that's just the second minute of the misson, it goes on for 10.

deim0s

Yeah, a lot of people's experience with the game went from "This is pretty damn fun!" to "ok, let's just get done with this, fuck..." with that final boss. Bit of a sour note to go out on, that one

To me it's more of a reminder and an ass kick to use dodge more often and free blade mode throughout the game.

mattp

haha that was the first part i had real trouble with last night, too
then i made the mistake of going back to that optional fight that opens up afterwards and getting wrecked

To me it's more of a reminder and an ass kick to use dodge more often and free blade mode throughout the game.

Yeah, you can avoid the big building throw attack by running underneath it, but it's so worth on that fight to actually slice them. Not only do you do a fair bit of damage to the boss, but you also get some much needed healing items!

I had him down to 8% and I dodged the final attack though, fuck me choking up on the blade mode after getting this far, lol

Tookay

To be fair, the same thing nearly happened with me. I was like, "This game is amazing. Slightly absurd, but amazing!"

Then the final boss happened, and I was like, "Oh, um, well, this... this... I guess I'll just beat the game now."

It's just too much. In another spot or with better build-up or in a different game, it would have worked. But it's just feels sort of out-of-place and tonally inconsistent.

Tucah

you speak so well
So I have an issue: the sound doesn't seem to be working on my game. PS3 version, I tried deleting and reinstalling the game to see if that would help at all. The sound works fine on any other game and the PS3 main menu but MGR is silent. Anyone run across this issue/can offer any help?

Teknoman

Play VR Mission 18. Two mastiffs("gorillas"), one hit kills. lololol.

;__;

Oh and that's just the second minute of the misson, it goes on for 10.

I will say at least the VR missions are helping me with parry timing. Especially that one where you have to zandatsu all enemies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wait, people didn't dig the last boss?

Whaaaatt?

The last boss issues one of the best speeches in human history, and then offers one hell of an intense fight. That shit was action gaming zen.

I'm an idiot. I beat the game last night on Normal, then decided to try hard, then decided to go easy so I could get the hands/datastuff/vrwatsits. I pressed restart, thinking it'd restart me to easy mode.

I was so wrong. I lost all the shit I got in the normal playthrough, augh.

So I played through it again on easy, skipping all cinematics, in about 3 hours. And it was still a really satisfying mess of fucking shit up.

God damn the game feels so good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gekko's aren't "hard" per say, it's just parrying/evading their attacks which is. You can see the orange leg attack happen, prepare to block and get attacked because apparently the attack is guard-breaking. Might as well jump out of the way and then continue to hack and slash then.

I'm an idiot. I beat the game last night on Normal, then decided to try hard, then decided to go easy so I could get the hands/datastuff/vrwatsits. I pressed restart, thinking it'd restart me to easy mode.

I was so wrong. I lost all the shit I got in the normal playthrough, augh.

So I played through it again on easy, skipping all cinematics, in about 3 hours. And it was still a really satisfying mess of fucking shit up.

God damn the game feels so good.

Waiiiit, if you choose "chapter" in the menu to play a chapter, it removes your progress/collections?

Teknoman

Whaaaatt?

The last boss issues one of the best speeches in human history, and then offers one hell of an intense fight. That shit was action gaming zen.

I'm thinking about of the people not liking it may only be Metal Gear fans, and not hard action + Metal Gear fans. I havent hit the last boss, but when you take one long running franchise and add another genre, its going to have that effect on some I guess.

ezekial45

Banned
I get the strange feeling that there's going to be a big drop off of players in the next couple weeks. People are clearing the game so quickly, and there's not that much to do after the VR missions besides S ranking the files.

Whaaaatt?

I love the last boss. Especially
that "Fuck this war, I just want you dead" quote. That's how you know you pissed him off.

jett

D-Member
Waiiiit, if you choose "chapter" in the menu to play a chapter, it removes your progress/collections?

No. He probably selected new game.

I get the strange feeling that there's going to be a big drop off of players in the next couple weeks. People are clearing the game so quickly, and there's not that much to do after the VR missions besides S ranking the files.

You're being weirdly negative in this thread, although maybe, not that weirdly. :p S ranking the game and getting first place in all the VR missions would take a long ass time.

Teknoman

Im sure there will be some good DLC for the game...or at least I hope so...other than VR missions.

One good side story expansion would be nice.

Gbraga

Sam + Friender DLC will make GAF explode with hype once again.

At least I hope so.

Jarmel

Banned
One thing I noticed about this game is that it absolutely forces you to master certain gameplay elements such as dodge or parry in order to pass. Friender tests whether you can parry, Hammer Bros test whether you can dodge, Mistral whether you can Zan accurately, and Monsoon about whether you mastered parry.

Adam Blue

Just got it and played for my hour lunch break. When all was said and done, it said 8 minutes of play time...haha.

I started on hard and it is pretty easy, but I am getting hit. So I think I choose the right difficulty. The boss was a bit confusing and I ended up killing it quicker than the game made it seem possible.

But, it's pure fun so far.

One thing I noticed about this game is that it absolutely forces you to master certain gameplay elements such as dodge or parry in order to pass. Friender tests whether you can parry, Hammer Bros test whether you can dodge, Mistral whether you can Zan accurately, and Monsoon about whether you mastered parry.

And then the final boss is like all that shit rolled into one, including diagonals in Free Blade mode. Better get good with that right stick aiming, son

ttocs

I've heard a lot of complaints about the last boss and how you have to have pinpoint precision when fighting him. That's why I ended up not doing the hard play through. I'll stick with normal.

Man, the difficulty jump from Hard to Very Hard is huge. Cripes!

I'm playing Very Hard and it is in fact very hard, in a good way. The gorilla on the beach is basically a boss if you don't know his move set yet. Took me at least 40 tries to finally get the parry timing down and beat his ass. Button prompt zandatsu kills are crucial in this difficulty.

JoeFenix

Fuck the final boss on hard with no nanopaste, the camera and those flame pillars while doing dodges....

Just fucking ugh, and the Zandatsu part is even worse. Poorly designed.

Omg, Mistral what a bad bitch

Er0LIO5.png
Er0LIO5.png
Er0LIO5.png
Er0LIO5.png
Er0LIO5.png
Er0LIO5.png

Game of the year

zroid

Banned
I actually wish I had Move controls for once. It would probably be easier for Free Blade.

I feel like better than Move would be a touch screen swipe. Vita cross-controller functionality would be lovely. Or a Wii U port (but I don't know if I'd double dip).

BTW, I must really suck at action games, because I normally play them on Easy, and I was getting destroyed on Normal.

Play on Normal they said, it's practically Easy they said.

I think I had nearly 70 continues, and the game took me about 12 hours to beat.

Loved it though.

Just fucking ugh, and the Zandatsu part is even worse. Poorly designed.

Yeah that part sucks on Hard. You can always choose not to do it and ninja run under the shit he throws at you. Once you know the attack pattern
Armstrong's
not so bad.

Also, I kinda wish they introduced all the bosses as a team at some point prior to fighting them.
Mistral
and
Monsoon
are offed right after you first meet them.

Jarmel

Banned
I've actually been trying to master the forward dodge but it doesn't seem nearly as effective as I've seen it used in demo videos. I can avoid the incoming attack but it seems I can't really spam it. Any tips?

Nemesis_

2nd boss.
Monsoon
just fucked me up. I think I need to dodge more.

You can use EMP Grenades to prematurely end his
magnetic limb shit. Once that happens, run in, Blade Mode his head, and then attack it wherever it shoots off to

You can also prematurely end his trash Nicki Minaj balls by
parrying two of them. On the second one you get an option to slice it up with Blade Mode and he stops

These might help.

Top Bottom