• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

RS4-

Lol these VR missions, timer runs off for a few more seconds after the last kill. So of course I have a few VR missions where I'm off by half a second

Gbraga

I've actually been trying to master the forward dodge but it doesn't seem nearly as effective as I've seen it used in demo videos. I can avoid the incoming attack but it seems I can't really spam it. Any tips?

You can cancel almost anything into the forward dodge (even the regular block!), and you can cancel the forward dodge into blade mode, so it might be useful to get those invincibility frames for a bit and continue slashing shit.

It doesn't drop any on hard? If you cut all the rocks nanopaste falls out of the sky on normal.

Oh they still do, thankfully. But to even get to that phase it's still pretty challenging. Final boss defense is MUCH higher on Hard than on what I've seen of Normal mode playthroughs.

And yes, Forward Dodge is the way to go. The i-frames on that thing is STUPID. Niggas stay holding my blade while I dodge into their attacks

Nemesis_

Lol these VR missions, timer runs off for a few more seconds after the last kill. So of course I have a few VR missions where I'm off by half a second

I've only got six to go - but I can't properly get a 1st Rank using my current setup. I think the
Pincers
are really needed for more armoured enemies. And they aren't anywhere near upgraded yet as I have not been using them at all.

Dystopia finally gets a use in those VR missions where you need to reach the waypoint quickly, though. Makes me wonder if Platinum had plans to incorporate them into some crazy platforming segments but didn't get the time.

daniels

Holy shit :O i cant get over how ridiculous hype the endboss is in this game i dont even know if its just Stupid or freaking Genius.
Just what are they smoking at Platinum? :O
Beneath the blood stained saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand~

If that happens can you just restart the chapter and get more paste or is that not practical?

That is why I did. The final mission is pretty short, and I was able to find three nanopastes around the level before heading off to the final battle

and don't be an idiot like me and use one or pastes where you're SUPPOSE to get your ass kicked, like the prologue. You know you're in the final form when you see it.

You should watch his reaction to the entire last boss battle (starts around 10:40:00). Everything was going smoothly until then. It's like the game ripped his heart out and stomped it into a million pieces. I felt genuinely bad for the guy since he was having so much fun beforehand, but everything about the
Armstrong character
pissed him the fuck off. He even goes on an extensive anti-Kojima rant :lol

The last fight is definitely going to be very divisive among players, but I absolutely enjoyed the whole shebang. From the
relentless absurdity of the situation
, to the actual fight itself.

lol that was awesome and painful to watch.

"they better not end this on a QTE"

next thing, a big QTE occurs. It just keeps on going on and on.

RS4-

I've only got six to go - but I can't properly get a 1st Rank using my current setup. I think the
Pincers
are really needed for more armoured enemies. And they aren't anywhere near upgraded yet as I have not been using them at all.

Dystopia finally gets a use in those VR missions where you need to reach the waypoint quickly, though. Makes me wonder if Platinum had plans to incorporate them into some crazy platforming segments but didn't get the time.

Hm, I forgot about some upgrades. Are they really affected in VR? Because the FC/HP ones obviously aren't lol.

Ugh, VR 6, Ninja Kill 3 guys, 15 seconds. I'm at 16 lol

So I I love the game, but I can't help but think "im doing it wrong" I had a really tough time beating that mini boss with the chainsaw tail that shows up in the demo. I tried parrying and pretty much got my ass spanked. I don't think I am defending myself properly.

Blocking attacks is L3 + [] ?

And is there a way to dodge? Iv'e been using the ninja run to avoid attacks

Blocking attacks is L3 + [] ?

And is there a way to dodge? Iv'e been using the ninja run to avoid attacks

No you don't click the analog stick, you push it in the direction of the incoming attack while hitting Sq at the same time.

There is a dodge but you need to purchase it. Parry seems to cover nearly all situations though.

My wife picked it up for me last night.. it's still sitting on my coffee table in the wrap, eagerly awaiting to be played... then I found out she got me Layton and Super Mario 3d Land on 3ds as well... arrrrgh!

I get the strange feeling that there's going to be a big drop off of players in the next couple weeks. People are clearing the game so quickly, and there's not that much to do after the VR missions besides S ranking the files.

You're being weirdly negative in this thread, although maybe, not that weirdly. :p S ranking the game and getting first place in all the VR missions would take a long ass time.
no longer bunkmates >__<
kidding aside, i agree, Vr missions are almost another game entirely *__*

My wife picked it up for me last night.. it's still sitting on my coffee table in the wrap, eagerly awaiting to be played... then I found out she got me Layton and Super Mario 3d Land on 3ds as well... arrrrgh!

You got a kick ass wife dude. I have to wait until mine falls asleep so I can revengeance in peace.

Besides blade cancel, anyone find any new tech yet?

wow. I feel like an idiot. Here I am clicking in the L3. Looking at the icon on explaining how to parry it made it seem you needed to press L3 based on the arrow pointing down. Cool.

Buying dat dodge first chance I get.

Mr.Fresh

You can use EMP Grenades to prematurely end his
magnetic limb shit. Once that happens, run in, Blade Mode his head, and then attack it wherever it shoots off to

You can also prematurely end his trash Nicki Minaj balls by
parrying two of them. On the second one you get an option to slice it up with Blade Mode and he stops

These might help.

Thanks I did not know this. Gonna try in a few.

Goon Boon

Banned
Amazon still seems to have both in stock.

You can check approximately how many copies are left by adding 999 to cart, it'll auto correct to how many they have in stock. It however says 999 for example for the PS3 limited edition, so I'm not sure if they actually do have 999, or what.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
The dodge skill seems so useless to me. Parrying > Dodge 99% of the time. I honestly don't get why it's available in this game, it just doesn't seem to offer enough evasive maneuverability to warrant its purchase.

Aesthet1c

So I only got to play for about 20 min last night, I started on hard but couldn't beat the first giant robot dude. Should I stick with it? If he is easy and I'm struggling on him then I don't want to be frustrated all game. However if his difficulty is similar to the other bosses then I think I can pull through.

what's the best tactic against the cyborg gorillas? Fucker keeps grabbing me while I'm anticipating an attack to parry.

Jump the grab and swing your sword to hover. Watch out for the backhand though.

Edit: spoiler because you should consider trying to figure it out for yourself since it's more fun that way

RS4-

How are you guys doing BMCs? I haven't really worked on it, figured I'd use it on the bosses for the achievement

edit - not sure how I'm going to do the no death shit since I keep on dying at the stupid bridge after the wolf fight.

The dodge skill seems so useless to me. Parrying > Dodge 99% of the time. I honestly don't get why it's available in this game, it just doesn't seem to offer enough evasive maneuverability to warrant its purchase.

The i frames on it is what makes it so good. It allows you to maintain good offense while being defensive at the same time. If you use if properly a lot of attacks will whiff right through raiden. I use it on stuff that's hard to properly parry or when I'm looking to stun.

As far as I can tell, the Rev mode and Very Hard encounters are the same. Just that Rev you just die in two hits instead of five now >_>

Oh, and I think they got rid of that red flare before people attack. You really gotta know those moves now

I just have to say. It's not often I find myself wanting to start a game over before even getting halfway through it but DAMN MGR. Platinum did such a damn good job. I was expecting good, but not AMAZING! Then you get that rocking soundtrack (which been a fan of their soundtracks since Mad World.) Man oh man what a surprise for me. I love how the songs gradual introduce the vocals. Such a sweet idea and really dig it.

I'm playing with a friend so I can't play till he comes around and the wait is killing meeeeeeeeee! Bravo Platinum games. Bravo!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Works great against the gorillas' yellow attacks. It puts you behind them for some free hits, then they follow up with a very predictable, and therefore very parry-able backfist attack.

Guess Who

Banned
If anyone else bought the soundtrack and, like me, wanted a higher-res and cooler album cover, I made one. Click the preview for the full-size (2048x2048).

xemumanic

Just finished the YoVideogames MGR review. Put my heart and soul into this one, lot's of throwbacks to old games and a Solid Snake cameo.

Hope you guys rike it.
YoVideogames Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance Review (The Best Metal Gear?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSUZRQ4vIA

This is one of the best reviews I've seen for ANY game.

If this is the sort of thing you do all the time, you can expect me to watch a lot more of your stuff in the future.

I especially like how you explain the game length thing. Most reviews are saying its about 8 hours, and then some say its short as if it were 4, some even saying that outright. Now I understand why. Not only is the game so awesome you'll plow right through it, sad that it's over, but you have a misleading timer.

You'd think someone would just look at their clock, but oh well.

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
My friend just got his copy of the game, kind of unique, PS3 region 3 (Asia) with cyborg ninja DLC code in it. He tried to redeem the code, but PSN always said the code was invalid. Anyone here with the same case made it through?

thanks for the tips! I guess, I need to get used to using dodge more. So since dodging has invincilble frames on start up, you guys usually dodge towards your attacking opponent then?

Dodge what you can't parry, basically. It's also better for crowd control.

deim0s

My friend just got his copy of the game, kind of unique, PS3 region 3 (Asia) with cyborg ninja DLC code in it. He tried to redeem the code, but PSN always said the code was invalid. Anyone here with the same case made it through?

Wait for the 21st, when JP copies are out.

Plumpman

Its amazing for dodging grab attacks.

Combo'ing > Grab Incoming > Dodge Grab > Continue Combo'ing

Top Bottom