• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Opened up my limited edition, and in regards to the lamp, its fucking awesome and the sword looks great. For some reason though, on the logo it doesn't display the whole title in blue, for example when it gets to the "ing" in Rising, the color appears white which is annoying.

Also the glass casing looks awful, with one noticeable circle appearing right in the center of the whole thing which really bugs the hell out of me. Aside from that though it was definitely worth the extra cash. Can't wait to play the game tonight!

That's exactly the same as mine then (both in regards to the ING being white and the smudges and stuff inside the casing.

It does look awesome though.

S1kkZ

finished the first "real" boss and i have to say: this game is fucking awesome, so much better than the demo.
the parry never really worked for me in the demo but in the final version, its great.

i play on the 360 and it looks and runs fantastic (cutscenes aside).

Nemesis_

Why did this have to be a pre-order exclusive... Does is affect achievements? Does it work on bosses?

Doesn't affect achievements, I am sure it works on bosses but not quite instant. The way the bosses are structured is that you can't get too much damage in before they go through their scripted sequences anyway.

Grey Fox and the FOX Sword are available on the Marketplace for me right now though. 240MSP.

Zaki2407

Man, this game is hard... I think I need some practice first. Got killed by the geckos several times in the opening 30 minutes of the game...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Doesn't affect achievements, I am sure it works on bosses but not quite instant. The way the bosses are structured is that you can't get too much damage in before they go through their scripted sequences anyway.

Grey Fox and the FOX Sword are available on the Marketplace for me right now though. 240MSP.

Well then, awesome. :p

Would this make Revengeance mode a bit easier? (I'm only on hard right now).

reson8or

Man, this game is hard... I think I need some practice first. Got killed by the geckos several times in the opening 30 minutes of the game...

If you aren't spotted, you can one shot them with a stealth kill from behind.

Otherwise, time your parries well if fighting them on the ground. Personally I try to jump and air combo them when possible, seems to make me less vulnerable to their leg attacks.

Dahbomb

Just finished the YoVideogames MGR review. Put my heart and soul into this one, lot's of throwbacks to old games and a Solid Snake cameo.

Hope you guys rike it.
YoVideogames Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance Review (The Best Metal Gear?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqSUZRQ4vIA
LMAO @ the codec conversation between you and Snake.

"War has changed"

"The age of movie games is of the past"

"When most of the game is out of your control, the formula becomes routine"

Slowclap.jpg

vg260

Got this from Gamefly yesterday and only got through 1st two levels. Really liking it so far. So crazy and looks better than the demo. Makes me so sad DmC tries to be so serious. Gonna pick up digitally when available.

Riposte

The codecs in this game are pretty good. Puts MGS4 to shame. Also Raiden has more personality than what Snake usually gives. Doesn't fall into the trap of saying nothing but "What?" and "Repeat someone just said as a question?"

MDSLKTR

I want to play this early sooo bad. I got to mission 3 yesterday and my head was so pounding so much from the awesome lol that I had to take a break. Man I missed awesome cutscenes in videogames!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I wish I saw the MANvsGAME stream live, the archive is too damn long. If it was at least cut into parts.

The little I saw was great though, Platinum is just godly at making you feel like an invincible badass motherfucker (AKA a Platinum employee)

I loved his reaction to the prologue boss. I stopped watching after that though...looks like he beat it all in that archive? It's 14 hours long, wonder what his game time said.
You should watch his reaction to the entire last boss battle (starts around 10:40:00). Everything was going smoothly until then. It's like the game ripped his heart out and stomped it into a million pieces. I felt genuinely bad for the guy since he was having so much fun beforehand, but everything about the
Armstrong character
pissed him the fuck off. He even goes on an extensive anti-Kojima rant :lol

The last fight is definitely going to be very divisive among players, but I absolutely enjoyed the whole shebang. From the
relentless absurdity of the situation
, to the actual fight itself.

"Estas bien?"
"What did'ju say?"

So fucking good. And I think Bladewolf is officially *personality comparison to a character from a tv show*
Abed from community
. At least with that first bit of dialogue from the backseat.

Nemesis_

The only thing that comes to mind with the FOX Blade is that it would be so powerful you wouldn't be able to rack up a combo number or Zandetsu as much as you'd like to. This *could* adversely affect your ranking.

You should watch his reaction to the entire last boss battle (starts around 10:40:00). Everything was going smoothly until then. It's like the game ripped his heart out and stomped it into a million pieces. I felt genuinely bad for the guy since he was having so much fun beforehand, but everything about the
Armstrong character

The last fight is definitely going to be very divisive among players, but I absolutely enjoyed the whole shebang. From the

To be fair, the same thing nearly happened with me. I was like, "This game is amazing. Slightly absurd, but amazing!"

Then the final boss happened, and I was like, "Oh, um, well, this... this... I guess I'll just beat the game now."

Zaki2407

If you aren't spotted, you can one shot them with a stealth kill from behind.

Otherwise, time your parries well if fighting them on the ground. Personally I try to jump and air combo them when possible, seems to make me less vulnerable to their leg attacks.

Thanks for the tips. will try it later ^_^

Yeah, a lot of people's experience with the game went from "This is pretty damn fun!" to "ok, let's just get done with this, fuck..." with that final boss. Bit of a sour note to go out on, that one

jett

D-Member
Apparently not killing people gives you a 1500 points bonus! Goddamn. Getting S-ranks in this thing is going to be way easier and less tactical than in the demo. And they had already made it the requirements for S-rank more lenient.

Nemesis_

Apparently not killing people gives you a 1500 points bonus! Goddamn. Getting S-ranks in this thing is going to be way easier and less tactical than in the demo. And they had already made it the requirements for S-rank more lenient.

You can get a bonus for no kills AND no damage.

But I would think that the points you would normally receive for killing people and Zandatsu would kind of negate the effect.

I did a no kill run of one level and only really got about three or so S ranks out of eight or whatever.

To be fair, the same thing nearly happened with me. I was like, "This game is amazing. Slightly absurd, but amazing!"

Then the final boss happened, and I was like, "Oh, um, well, this... this... I guess I'll just beat the game now."

Yeah, I can say the same thing. I think it was just how abrupt everything in that scene was. I probably would've loved it if there were a few more segments in that chapter to build up to the craziness. It also might've been the fact that I knew at that point the game was ending, which was a little disappointing. I want a sequel.

Heres the Limited Edition Lithograph that comes with the LE strategy guide incase anyone was interested. Mines #5370.
gS5byom.jpg

Oh so the LE guide is actually a real thing. Who'd have thought it with the way they're being handled by retailers...
I got mine at Best Buy. They had about two left. My GameStop didnt have any, but they probably sold out at the Midnight that they told me they weren't having lol.

Aw man, you just sold me. I have the MGS4 guide with the litograph, so now I wanna make it a pair.
I have that one as well and its sort of why i wanted to buy this one. They look very similar in fact. Shinkawa art with a glowing red eye.

Nemesis_

Did anyone get their LE guide from amazon yet? Mine still says not yet shipped

Amazon have moved mine to "Shipping Soon" which to me implies they have it and are packaging it
slowly

Was kind of hoping I got it before the weekend, but doubtful now. At least considering how long the game itself is taking to get to me (well, my Lamp, I own my review copy) and it's being sent the same way. :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Game must really have clicked for me overnight... I woke up, started a new game on hard, and it just.... it all makes sense to me now. I still think normal is the way to go for the first playthrough, just to come to grips with the mechanics, but I'm really starting to see the allure of the harder settings.

I know it's only been out for a day, but seriously... this might be my favorite action game.

jett

D-Member
VR Missions will make grown men cry. 40 fucking minutes it took me to get 1st place in the very first VR mission. Why would I want to pay for extra suffering. No, don't hurt me more. :p

You can get a bonus for no kills AND no damage.

But I would think that the points you would normally receive for killing people and Zandatsu would kind of negate the effect.

I did a no kill run of one level and only really got about three or so S ranks out of eight or whatever.

Zandatsu gives you 1000 bonus. You can get BP points by slicing off their legs. And you can Zandatsu machines anyway. It's good strategy to go for no kills in some situations.

There should be a way to fight with your fist whenever you want, seems like a waste to only be able to do it in one part of the game. I love the MGS2 cartwheel dodge with them.

Gbraga

Armstrong character

What is this charge move he's trying to do?

There should be a way to fight with your fist whenever you want, seems like a waste to only be able to do it in one part of the game. I love the MGS2 cartwheel dodge with them.

They're keeping it for the Casshern DLC.

BELIEVE

Something about this game feels like a Japanese PS2 game (in a good way), in how the characters animate and how the environment is designed and interacted with. Might just be the sort of shitty background textures. Might be the 60fps. Made me realize that it's a sort of familiarity I haven't really felt from games this gen.

Top Bottom