• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

legacyzero

Banned
RULES OF NATURE

7AE3CEB8E98D180D54EF07C02F870E06AC31E6AD

This is fucking killing me! HAHAHAH

zhorkat

Beat Sundowner. Boy did that fight start off hilariously poorly.
I died a lot at first because I thought you were supposed to do a parry off his charge attack and then use blade mode to slice weak spots on his shields. No weak spots showed up of course, but that didn't stop me from thinking that I was supposed to cut the shields along the lines of the symbol drawn on them. Yay for suicide by explosives. Once I finally realized what I was supposed to do, things went well. Phase two was a bit dull, though, even with him swinging pillars at you.

Fantasmo

No need to dodge. Excelsus is actually really easy. You can parry all of its blade attacks (remember to point the stick towards Excelsus itself).

I beat him. Knowing that you can parry the blades did it. Still no clue what to do with the fire part but whatever.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Beat Sundowner. Boy did that fight start off hilariously poorly.
I died a lot at first because I thought you were supposed to do a parry off his charge attack and then use blade mode to slice weak spots on his shields.
No weak spots showed up of course, but that didn't stop me from thinking that I was supposed to cut the shields along the lines of the symbol drawn on them. Yay for suicide by explosives. Once I finally realized what I was supposed to do, things went well. Phase two was a bit dull, though, even with him swinging pillars at you.

... you are. lol

The little arms on the shields have a blue overlay. You need to slice them without hitting any of the shields.

Eh? I do a forward defensive offense to go through those.

Whoops. I always jumped or Ninja Run through those.

I stand corrected!

Dahbomb

Parrying the blade attacks of Exelsius actually goes a small amount of damage to you. Not recommended. They are colored yellow for a reason.

Fantasmo

... you are. lol

The little arms on the shields have a blue overlay. You need to slice them without hitting any of the shields.

There's an easier way. Jumping Polearm does a down stab. He has no attack that can retaliate and it hurts him 5% every time.

Did I just get drop kicked. LOL.

Jetstream dlc on very hard is DONE, although I feel terrible about skipping some VRs and the fight with two GRADS, Is it recommended to taunt them? parries don't seem to do much damage, any strategies would be appreciated. Also moving on to revengeance difficulty, which I have heard is easier due to the parry counters strength.

Squire

Banned
Fighting Sam is some beautiful simplicity. A raw test of mechanics. It's like the game is saying "You had one job: Learn to perry; Did you do it?"

Sam received my answer.

Edit: Btw, it's kinda dumb the game doesn't take the two minutes it takes to explain Ripper mode in the game and tells you to go play a tutorial. I could've used that shit fighting Sam.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There's an easier way. Jumping Polearm does a down stab. He has no attack that can retaliate and it hurts him 5% every time.

Did I just get drop kicked. LOL.

Yeah, I know there's an easier way. There's a lot of ways. You can bypass that cutting portion entirely... but that is the "intended" way to beat him.

popyea

It depends on which kind of swipe. There's the one armed swiped and the double armed swipe. Single arm swipe you can Ninja Run jump over (or just a regular jump). With two arms you have to dodge through it.

You can parry it too but you take some block damage against it so I wouldn't recommend it. The leg stomp you can parry safely.

The beams you just ninja run and jump around. You also should be positioned way back away from him so the lasers have the least chance of hitting you.

Isn't there a move you can ninja run through? I think the side swipe, if you just ninja run into it, Raiden dives through the middle of it. It's been a while though, so I may be remembering incorrectly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Isn't there a move you can ninja run through? I think the side swipe, if you just ninja run into it, Raiden dives through the middle of it. It's been a while though, so I may be remembering incorrectly.

Yep, you can.

I think there is nothing in the game you can't dodge with it.

I don't know why I never tried. I guess I assumed that the blades would pull you into the wall or whatever even if you dodged correctly.

zhorkat

... you are. lol

Yeah, I figured that out eventually. It was just that at first I thought I was supposed to slice spots on the shields themselves after that parry.

Neiteio

You know what enemies are secretly the best but don't get nearly enough love when people talk about this game? GRADS. I especially love their appearance at the start of Chapter 3, after your first scuffle with the police. The way they slide into the intersection and start unloading their payload on you... SO. COOL.

Momentary

Banned
Defensive Offensive Strike goes through AOEs if timed right. Like the last boss' energy AOE blast. That's one of Raiden's most useful moves.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You know what enemies are secretly the best but don't get nearly enough love when people talk about this game? GRADS. I especially love their appearance at the start of Chapter 3, after your first scuffle with the police. The way they slide into the intersection and start unloading their payload on you... SO. COOL.

They're kinda like little Metal Gear Rex's on rollerskates. I love them.

Uraizen

Banned

And that kick when you finish them off? So good.

Clawww

At
Metal Gear Excelsor
and I have no idea what to do. If I don't guess correctly I get killed.

How do I dodge the blade arms when they're coming down? How do I dodge his weird leg when he keeps picking it up and dropping it on me? Am I supposed to hit him at all here? How do I dodge the fire blasts? Am I supposed to hit him here or just wait it out? 2 Gekkos and fire blasts? This game is way too hard, it expects you to read its mind.

that's like the most straightforward, typical boss fight in the game. there's no mind reading required whatsoever. just basic stuff like any other video game. avoid/block/dodge and then punish...

when the blades come down the easiest way to deal is to dodge with Offensive Defense. You'll go right through it easily. Eventually the blades drop down and linger so you can beat them up. For the lazers, just ninja run to avoid and Zandatsu the monsters if you need to heal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GRADS are that little taste of Vanquish x Metal Gear in my Rising.

TGMIII

GRADS are my favorite enemy in the game just due to how mobile they can be.

Regiruler

Defensive Offensive Strike goes through AOEs if timed right. Like the last boss' energy AOE blast. That's one of Raiden's most useful moves.

I found that no matter how you time it if your entire movement would be inside the blast radius you get hit. If you activate it and you get hit mid-evade, but your ending position is outside the radius, you're unharmed. This is key for Jetstream armstrong as well as Khamsin's sandstorm whirl (although for sandstorm I just run away as that's a bitch to time correctly).
That's what I've gathered, anyway.

LTWheels

Fighting Sam is some beautiful simplicity. A raw test of mechanics. It's like the game is saying "You had one job: Learn to perry; Did you do it?"

Sam received my answer.

Edit: Btw, it's kinda dumb the game doesn't take the two minutes it takes to explain Ripper mode in the game and tells you to go play a tutorial. I could've used that shit fighting Sam.

Reading this made me realise that I finished the game not using it once.

Sam received my answer.

I thought it didn't increase damage vs bosses.

Squire

Banned
GRADS are that little taste of Vanquish x Metal Gear in my Rising.

The game really feels like Vanquish translated into a character action game to me.

Which reminds me, this morning I was thinking PG are the only studio to use bullet time as more than just a gimmick. There's actual to it's application in their games.

Reading this made me realise that I finished the game not using it once.

Im on the last stage and have yet to use it. I just finally did the tutorial after beating Sam/watching the (fantastic) intro scene to chapter 7.

I thought it didn't increase damage vs bosses.

WELP

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
There has to be an MGRR2 in the works.

Give me a billion bosses, each with their own song.

I'm being reasonable here.

Haha. I wonder how much KojiPro had to do with the boss design. The MGR bosses fit the diversity-bill (mechanically) for what I expect from a Metal Gear game and were all really cool, characteristically. No way P* did that all on their own...right?

Neiteio

Haha. I wonder how much KojiPro had to do with the boss design. The MGR bosses fit the diversity-bill (mechanically) for what I expect from a Metal Gear game and were all really cool, characteristically. No way P* did that all on their own...right?
Rising's bosses sure beat the trousers off the B&B Corp from MGS4. Like, it's not even a contest. I like to think that's the Platinum difference.

Clawww

the bosses really acheived a great mix of MGS and Platinum (specifically Anarchy Reigns) style imo. hit the spot for both. I haven't played an MGS game in years so those elements were so enjoyable for me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...s-and-levels-ditched-when-platinum-took-over/

Korekado’s obviously rather proud of the early bosses Kojima Productions designed, too: “Just to brag a little bit about our designs, we believe that the bosses we created for Metal Gear Solid: Rising were probably some of the best in the series, but Saito came in and said, “We’re not going to use these bosses.” So you’ll not be seeing them this time around.”

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...s-and-levels-ditched-when-platinum-took-over/

Korekado’s obviously rather proud of the early bosses Kojima Productions designed, too: “Just to brag a little bit about our designs, we believe that the bosses we created for Metal Gear Solid: Rising were probably some of the best in the series, but Saito came in like a fucking boss and said, “We’re not going to use these bosses.” So you’ll not be seeing them this time around.”

Fixed. I don't buy it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Like this game as is, but MGR2 it would be cool to see one stealth-based boss. The stealth mechanics aren't too shabby in this game.

Darksim

My problem with the WII U is that it doesnt have an audio output from the console...and i dont have a TV. We'll see how i can solve this in order to play more PG games.

Apparently Nintendo recently fixed that, you can now output rca audio while using hdmi. It unfortunately still only outputs the limited rgb range though, which isn't very pretty on monitors.

---

I managed to take the demo music files for Armstrong and Sam's themes, renamed them to their equivalent in the final game and replaced them in the archive, and the game doesn't load them at all
-man.png

Listening to the game audio files is pretty cool though, it sounds better than a CD ever will.

Neiteio

Z1ggy said:
My problem with the WII U is that it doesnt have an audio output from the console...and i dont have a TV. We'll see how i can solve this in order to play more PG games.
Hey, it just occurred to me, you don't need a TV for the WiiU. You could play the game entirely on the GamePad! So if you're itching for more Platinum, but don't have a TV, a WiiU with TW101 and Bayonetta 2 might be good. :)

Squire

Banned

Korekado’s obviously rather proud of the early bosses Kojima Productions designed, too: “Just to brag a little bit about our designs, we believe that the bosses we created for Metal Gear Solid: Rising were probably some of the best in the series, but Saito came in and said, “We’re not going to use these bosses.” So you’ll not be seeing them this time around.”

Good on Saito. Despite not being an actual unit, the Desperado captains are the best unit in the series since MGS3.

I love MGS4, but the bosses are just an excuse to look at some (admittedly quite beautiful) models.

KJ869

or you can just ninjarun/jump every attack and when hes standing still just use charged pincher combo from maximum distance it still works

Top Bottom