• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

TGMIII

Hey, it just occurred to me, you don't need a TV for the WiiU. You could play the game entirely on the GamePad! So if you're itching for more Platinum, but don't have a TV, a WiiU with TW101 and Bayonetta 2 might be good. :)

Can't imagine playing W101 on the gamepad screen. It's already hard enough to see what's going on at times without it being on a tiny screen.

Hypron

Like this game as is, but MGR2 it would be cool to see one stealth-based boss. The stealth mechanics aren't too shabby in this game.

Aw hell no. Unless they drastically improve the stealth (and even then, I find stealth boring. I'd rather be cutting stuff in pieces). Right now it's the worst part of the game IMO (thankfully you can skip all the stealth encounters).

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...s-and-levels-ditched-when-platinum-took-over/

Korekado’s obviously rather proud of the early bosses Kojima Productions designed, too: “Just to brag a little bit about our designs, we believe that the bosses we created for Metal Gear Solid: Rising were probably some of the best in the series, but Saito came in and said, “We’re not going to use these bosses.” So you’ll not be seeing them this time around.”

iiiiiiinteresting. well now i wanna see what the original ones were like

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah stealth for Raiden is pretty much you make noise while ninja running, don't make noise while walking and smoke grenades disable the enemy's ability to perceive anything.(Even touch lol)

Other than that's it's just a puzzle running from enemy to enemy stealth killing them in the correct order. Not sure how you'd make a boss out of that.

zainetor

Banned
Random question: is there a running gag with Raiden's metal chin that I missed from not playing MGS4? It gets abused in half the cutscenes. Or does Kojima or Platinum just really think Raiden's chin exploding sparks looks that awesome?

I think there's somebody at platinum who has a chin fetish.
Even Sam does one in his dlc.

Neiteio

Yeah stealth for Raiden is pretty much you make noise while ninja running, don't make noise while walking and smoke grenades disable the enemy's ability to perceive anything.(Even touch lol)

Other than that's it's just a puzzle running from enemy to enemy stealth killing them in the correct order
Actually, I don't think you make noise while ninja running. I ninja-run up to every soldier with his back turned in the first chapter, and I'm always able to back-stab without being detected.

TGMIII

Actually, I don't think you make noise while ninja running. I ninja-run up to every soldier with his back turned in the first chapter, and I'm always able to back-stab without being detected.

You make noise but it doesn't alert enemies. The AI is braindead when it comes to detection, you can make as much noise as you want behind them and they don't notice a thing. So long as you don't directly attack/damage them they won't notice you.

Neiteio

Dat feel this game gives you.

1C2D603031F777B080537DF7AF5F0CCEEA1B9955

antitrop

I just watched Yahtzee's review of the game on Zero Punctuation and he hated the soundtrack. Why, Yahtzee, why? :( You make me sad :(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

IIRC the way it works is that Raiden has an invisible "sound ring" around him. When Ninja running it's very large and while walking it's very small/non existent.

Thing is it shrinks as soon as you stop holding the Ninja Run button, so you can run up to a guard so long as you let go before it overlaps with them and alerts them.

A trick I learned with this is that if you short hop at the end of a ninja run near a guard, Raiden will preserve momentum and continue the dash in the air a bit but his "sound ring" will be walking speed size, allowing you to close the gap quickly on stealth kills without alerting

As for what you're doing I think it might change on different difficulty levels, or I could just be mistaken about all of this. I definitely recall enemies turning around on me if I don't stop and walk at a certain range

Neiteio

IIRC the way it works is that Raiden has an invisible "sound ring" around him. When Ninja running it's very large and while walking it's very small/non existent.

Thing is it shrinks as soon as you stop holding the Ninja Run button, so you can run up to a guard so long as you let go before it overlaps with them and alerts them.

A trick I learned with this is that if you short hop at the end of a ninja run near a guard, Raiden will preserve momentum and continue the dash in the air a bit but his "sound ring" will be walking speed size, allowing you to close the gap quickly on stealth kills without alerting

As for what you're doing I think it might change on different difficulty levels, or I could just be mistaken about all of this.
That makes sense. I do stop right before I backstab the guards, so it might be my sound ring shrinking at the last moment, like you say.

Coconut

Banned
So it's safe to assume that based on the description and color, blue Gatorade is what Raiden is ripping out of other cyborgs.

I'm loving the game, besides the camera I've got like no problems with but I gots 2 questions.

A) Does the codec/gameplay ratio get a bit better? Like I enjoy the codecs so I don't want to miss any, but I also want to play the game. According to steam I've played the game for 3 hours, but the savefile says 1, so basically I've spent twice as long listening to the codec than I have playing the game? I wish they'd give you like the bayonetta load screen thing while listening so you could test stuff, or at least walk around. At least in MGS4 you could use 6axis to, you know.

B) Can any give me tips on aiming blade mode? I'm atrocious at it, It normally takes me like most of the bar to cut the core unless I'm lucky, I've only tried for a hand once, and totally missed it.

C) I can't stop staring at raiden's ass.

D) I hope they fix the mouse in menus/codecs, very annoying.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
B) Can any give me tips on aiming blade mode? I'm atrocious at it, It normally takes me like most of the bar to cut the core unless I'm lucky, I've only tried for a hand once, and totally missed it.

You can use both sticks to aim the slice. Depending on your control scheme, one controls the camera while the other controls the angle of the slice. I generally only use the camera control to align the slice with the redbox at first, if I can. Then, I press the X button to actually perform the slice. You can also flick or let go of the angle changing stick to perform the slice, but I prefer to hit the button.

After slicing the red box, you can "let 'er rip" and slash like crazy and it won't break the core.

Hypron

I'm loving the game, besides the camera I've got like no problems with but I gots 2 questions.

A) Does the codec/gameplay ratio get a bit better? Like I enjoy the codecs so I don't want to miss any, but I also want to play the game. According to steam I've played the game for 3 hours, but the savefile says 1, so basically I've spent twice as long listening to the codec than I have playing the game? I wish they'd give you like the bayonetta load screen thing while listening so you could test stuff, or at least walk around. At least in MGS4 you could use 6axis to, you know.

C) I can't stop staring at raiden's ass.

D) I hope they fix the mouse in menus/codecs, very annoying.

The game has A LOT of codecs. Listening to all of them in a single playthrough is madness IMO. You'll spend more time listening to them than playing.

I'm now in the sewers, and these three creatures are attacking me..

I consider myself rather good at most games in general, so it's frustrating me that I'm dying so much... I guess I don't understand how I'm suppose to be playing..

Am I suppose to be attacking all the time, or mostly waiting for a parry chance??
If I am attacking all the time, are there certain combos I should be doing more than others? The game starts, there are a dozen or so moves in a hidden help list with names like 'arctic thunder' .. If I'm not supposed to be slamming the buttons, I wish they would have taught me about the combos, or at least let me access more tutorials.
Hold my hand a little bit, I have no idea how to play the game.

The Aiming in Blade mode is nerve wracking too... Should I be slashing with the buttons or with the stick itself? I've tried B mode, but it feels a bit goofy too... why couldn't the 'walk while blade mode' be mapped to the opposite stick?? Sometimes the square I'm supposed to cut through is on the screen, but it's like I'm too far away from the target to actually cut it.. am I supposed to walk toward it in this case??

And I don't seem to be able to parry bullets.. I thought someone said that was possible...

Grr... Sorry. Just getting frustrated..... I might look for some video tutorials. I'm confident once I know how I'm, supposed to be playing the game, I can easily do it.

Neiteio

I consider myself rather good at most games in general, so it's frustrating me that I'm dying so much... I guess I don't understand how I'm suppose to be playing..

Am I suppose to be attacking all the time, or mostly waiting for a parry chance??
If I am attacking all the time, are there certain combos I should be doing more than others? The game starts, there are a dozen or so moves in a hidden help list with names like 'arctic thunder' .. If I'm not supposed to be slamming the buttons, I wish they would have taught me about the combos, or at least let me access more tutorials.

The Aiming in Blade mode is nerve wracking too... Should I be slashing with the buttons or with the stick itself? I've tried B mode, but it feels a bit goofy too... why couldn't the 'walk while blade mode' be mapped to the opposite stick?? Sometimes the square I'm supposed to cut through is on the screen, but it's like I'm too far away from the target to actually cut it.. am I supposed to walk toward it in this case??

And I don't seem to be able to parry bullets.. I thought someone said that was possible...

Grr... Sorry. Just getting frustrated..... I might look for some video tutorials. I'm confident once I know how I'm, supposed to be playing the game, I can easily do it.
Do you know how to "block?" Push in the direction of an incoming attack, and attack yourself. There's a generous timing window for it. You'll neutralize their force with your own and likely stagger your enemy, as well.

Momentary

Banned
Seriously... how did this game NOT get nominated for a soundtrack award. I don't remember shit from Bioshock Infinite and it got awards for its soundtrack. Blows my damn mind. I remember every vocal track from this damn game.

Hypron

Seriously... how did this game NOT get nominated for a soundtrack award. I don't remember shit from Bioshock Infinite and it got awards for its soundtrack. Blows my damn mind. I remember every vocal track from this damn game.

Its not orchestral enough for the reviewers tastes.

joe2187

Banned
This game is very in touch with it's inner child...in a good way.

Every boss in this game has a ton of quotable lines, I cant help but keep repeating them randomly sometimes.

"I THOUGHT YOU WERE CRUELER THAN THAT JACK!"

"LEFT HAND RULE!"

"welcome to my utopia of death!"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I've been kind spamming it, but here's my advice:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

You can perfect parry bullets, but it takes hard timing. Really, you need to Ninja Run in most situations.

You can basically keep up the offensive because almost every move cancels into a Parry or Dodge. Or it can be Blademode canceled.

Gbraga

Rules of Nature should win every best song award on principle.

Maybe losing one or two prizes to Chosen by the moon would be ok.

Its not orchestral enough for the reviewers tastes.

You mean mature, gritty and cinematic.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
It's pretty cool how consistent the enemy design was with MGS4. The APCs, vultures, fenrirs...even the yellow HUD! I feel like Rising retroactively made 4 a little bit better by expanding on the technology and PMCs. Also appreciate how faithful Rising was to 2. Consistently mentioning George Sears and Liberia? Thumbs up!
I feel the same. I honestly have more respect for Rising as an entry in the Metal Gear universe than either MGS4 or PW. I don't even care that it's a side story. It's just the palate cleanser I needed to WASH AWAY THE ANGER and fall back in love with the series.

The Winds are a charismatic boss group with their own unique personalities; the codec is fully fleshed out; the main campaign is ridiculously replayable, along with tons of collectibles, VR missions, and easter eggs; etc. It faithfully draws elements from the series lore without feeling like embarrassing fan service, and organically expands on that world without the use of far reaching retcons. It's all a very commendable effort, IMO.

Won't get a chance to play this again for another few days, has anyone any advice on coping? I've been listening to the soundtrack on repeat and screaming RULES OF NATURE at everyone, but it isn't enough. IT ISN'T ENOUGH.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I just watched Yahtzee's review of the game on Zero Punctuation and he hated the soundtrack. Why, Yahtzee, why? :( You make me sad :(

I don't know if I hate it but I honestly don't see what makes people think it's so great. Vocals kicking in when a boss has low health is kind of cool but...is that it?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't know if I hate it but I honestly don't see what makes people think it's so great. Vocals kicking in when a boss has low health is kind of cool but...is that it?

It's just fantastic cheese and the context of the tailored lyrics kicking in at just the right moments make you feel like a part of an event. The songs are catchy and over-the-top, just like the game... and they complement each other perfectly.

What I still don't get: how do they salvage Blade Wolf if he explodes after Raiden turns him into mincemeat?

Presumably his A.I. is actually just a little chip in the head that they could take.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Hey, at least he put Rising on his top 5 GOTY list. Wasn't expecting that! :D

antitrop

Oh my God, I just absolutely demolished Bladewolf on my first try on VH. It wasn't even close. Just a massacre for Team Raiden.

antitrop

BUT WHO'S TO JUUUUUUUUDGE
THE RIGHT FROM WRONG
WHEN OUR GUARD IS DOWN
I THINK WE'LL BOTH AGREE

THAT VIOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENCE BREEDS VIOLEEEEEEEEENCE
BUT IN THE END IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's just fantastic cheese and the context of the tailored lyrics kicking in at just the right moments make you feel like a part of an event.

I suppose, but the novelty wears off when you've heard it done 5 times or more on the same boss. Well, to each his own.

Top Bottom