• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

I just watched Yahtzee's review of the game on Zero Punctuation and he hated the soundtrack. Why, Yahtzee, why? :( You make me sad :(
Yahtzee is a fucker. I just watched his Nier review and he said nothing positive about the game and in fact I'm pretty sure he hated on that soundtrack as well.

So he hates on both MGR and Nier's soundtracks. How??

d0c_zaius

wow armstrong is really easy if you
max out str with sams sword

I used to hate him cause it was cheap. Now I can fully love him like the rest of the bosses.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You can use both sticks to aim the slice. Depending on your control scheme, one controls the camera while the other controls the angle of the slice. I generally only use the camera control to align the slice with the redbox at first, if I can. Then, I press the X button to actually perform the slice. You can also flick or let go of the angle changing stick to perform the slice, but I prefer to hit the button.

After slicing the red box, you can "let 'er rip" and slash like crazy and it won't break the core.

I've been kind spamming it, but here's my advice:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

You can perfect parry bullets, but it takes hard timing. Really, you need to Ninja Run in most situations.

You can basically keep up the offensive because almost every move cancels into a Parry or Dodge. Or it can be Blademode canceled.

Thanks, those tips + changing the control scheme to B really helped me out, can cut much better now, cores first time everytime.

Nyoro SF

For those new to the game, remember that parrying is everything. EVERYTHING.

Yes there are a few attacks that you can't parry. But getting hit by those and understanding you can't parry them is a good part of the learning process.

That and the dodge move is extremely important. Especially against the large Mastiff guys and their command grabs, which you can dodge using that move.

Every enemy has very predictable patterns too. Such as if you slice off a Mastiff dude's arms he will immediately drop kick, or if you try to approach one from behind he'll do an elbow swing - ALWAYS.

Neiteio

Is "parrying" what we're calling the block where you push toward an incoming attack and hit attack yourself? The one with the really generous timing window? Because isn't there something more precise than that, which results in an even stronger strike? Or maybe that's what's called a "perfect parry."

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is "parrying" what we're calling the block where you push toward an incoming attack and hit attack yourself? The one with the really generous timing window? Because isn't there something more precise than that, which results in an even stronger strike? Or maybe that's what's called a "perfect parry."

Yeah
Parry = Block
Perfect Parry = Counter

The game calls the blocking a "parry" in general.

Neiteio

Yeah
Parry = Block
Perfect Parry = Counter

The game calls the blocking a "parry" in general.
OK, that makes sense. In terms of terminology, I was thinking of the perfect parry as the "parry." But yeah, generally speaking, the basic blocking where you negate force with force is a "parry," and "perfect parry" is a step beyond that.

Fantasmo

I can tell this last boss is going to be as mind numbingly hard as The Forgotten One in Castlevania's 2nd DLC.

Jesus Christ this is hard. Time to check those tips.

So has it been determined if this game is CPU or GPU bound?

I was thinking (but not seriously) of upgrading my HD5850. Seems like I can't get anything locally that can beat it for the price I bought it ($150). Closest to the price are GTX 650ti (which is slightly worse) and R9 270x (can't find any comparison).

Momentary

Banned
I don't know if I hate it but I honestly don't see what makes people think it's so great. Vocals kicking in when a boss has low health is kind of cool but...is that it?

Well for me it's memorable, It's an original score, and.... vocals kick in when boss has low health.

I seriously can't remember a single song from any other game I played last year... Except Remember Me's soundtrack and Rogue Legacy's one song. That's another game that got robbed from soundtrack nominations (Remember Me).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You can perfect parry bullets, but it takes hard timing. Really, you need to Ninja Run in most situations.

Yeah you can only perfect parry them. Can't block.

The only time I ever used this was the last ray encounter on the roof top in revengence. If you stand in the right spot it'll shoot bullets consistently and you can perfect parry them to have the followup hit it's head and end the encounter instantly

I wish you could just hit ninja run and be able to block them standing in place on reaction. Would be so much more reliable to deal with them coming from off screen

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah you can only perfect parry them. Can't block.

The only time I ever used this was the last ray encounter on the roof top in revengence. If you stand in the right spot it'll shoot bullets consistently and you can perfect parry them to have the followup hit it's head and end the encounter instantly

I wish you could just hit ninja run and be able to block them standing in place on reaction. Would be so much more reliable to deal with them coming from off screen

Yeah, I only ever used it in one of the VR missions, I think.

I agree that it'd be better if holding RT allowed you to block bullets while standing still.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
iiiiiiinteresting. well now i wanna see what the original ones were like
Regarding this, I remember someone compiling Shinkawa concept art from the earlier version of the game, MGS: Rising. Some of them looked like potential bosses:

http://mgsforums.com/single/?p=8706134&t=7525787
CdBcP5Y.jpg

uJJwUai.jpg

a6kqLQh.jpg

aPRyzvT.jpg

aLymfJf.jpg

ad6EF0h.jpg

itDYL8d.jpg

I love the one with the robo-baby strapped to its chest.

mileS

So has it been determined if this game is CPU or GPU bound?

I was thinking (but not seriously) of upgrading my HD5850. Seems like I can't get anything locally that can beat it for the price I bought it ($150). Closest to the price are GTX 650ti (which is slightly worse) and R9 270x (can't find any comparison).

I can't fully answer your question, but I'm curious if you have the game yet. I have an HD 5850 myself and I'm willing to answer some questions if need be.

Llyranor

Just finished the game on hard. I had forgotten how much I love this freaking game (played it on PS3 back in the day). From the highway fight all the way to the ending especially. What a glorious game.

And it's a perfect port for me, too. Good job on your first PC game, Platinum! Give us more!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Seriously... how did this game NOT get nominated for a soundtrack award. I don't remember shit from Bioshock Infinite and it got awards for its soundtrack. Blows my damn mind. I remember every vocal track from this damn game.

Yeah it's a fucking joke. The music fits so perfect, shit gets so hype when the bosses % go down and the vocals kick in.

They better make a sequel with Fox Engine.

Volcynika

FAyWWYm.png

Probably should take a bit of a break. I think the next boss I'll attempt to no damage is probably Sundowner or something. Probably won't bother with Armstrong :p Gyat damn Sam was an ass to no damage, always snuck in a kick on me, or those damn rocks would screw with the camera.

hlhbk

This might be already be addressed in this thread but I didn't see it. I am getting a constant 50 FPS on my PC on this with no dips at max settings. Is there anyway to get it up to 60?

antitrop

This might be already be addressed in this thread but I didn't see it. I am getting a constant 50 FPS on my PC on this with no dips at max settings. Is there anyway to get it up to 60?

Make a custom resolution of 1920x1079 and set it as your desktop resolution.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
FAyWWYm.png

Probably should take a bit of a break. I think the next boss I'll attempt to no damage is probably Sundowner or something. Probably won't bother with Armstrong :p Gyat damn Sam was an ass to no damage, always snuck in a kick on me, or those damn rocks would screw with the camera.

Wow pretty good for 20 hours

Armstrong should be easier with boss select. I'd go for it

Sundowner was the biggest pain for me because I had such bad luck with the Helicopters.(it's what made me hate bullets in this game. So pointless)

Volcynika

Wow pretty good for 20 hours

Armstrong should be easier with boss select. I'd go for it

Sundowner was the biggest pain for me because I had such bad luck with the Helicopters.(it's what made me hate bullets in this game. So pointless)

Does it jump you straight to the last end of the battle for Armstrong or do you fight on top of the MG?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Does it jump you straight to the last end of the battle for Armstrong or do you fight on top of the MG?

Dunno. but at least you don't have to fight excelsus again without making a back up save if you mess up

Dario ff

Banned
Make a custom resolution of 1920x1079 and set it as your desktop resolution.
I really, really dislike this fix because it makes everything on some monitors very blurry. (1080p native)

The problem is the proper solution for now with HDMI is using a Cheat Engine table. It works VERY well tho, and only needs to be activated when starting the game, and can just be closed later. So if someone does get a blurry result out of the 1920x1079 fix, the Cheat Engine table is a nice, but inconvenient alternative.

(Table wasn't done by me, I don't recall who posted it here. To whoever did that, I'm very thankful for it)

Revven

Lol I did so bad against Mistral just now -- I guess I forgot how difficult (difficult to hit I mean) she is without any upgrades.

This time I'm prioritizing getting skills and life/fuel cell upgrades, I think the blade enhancements and extra weapons can wait.

I just watched Yahtzee's review of the game on Zero Punctuation and he hated the soundtrack. Why, Yahtzee, why? :( You make me sad :(

He still put it on his Top 5 of 2013, so he didn't completely hate it.

But yeah, he's a contrarian who either has odd taste of sky-high standards.

Played through it yesterday and...why is this game so short?
It took me 5:20 h on Normal difficulty and the fact that missions are numbered in a R-0X fashion led me to believe that there are at least ten missions, yet there were only seven and one of them can be finished in less than ten minutes.

That really sucks D:
Really wished the game was longer. Aside from that I had huge amounts of fun. Just as I expected from a P* game <3

Now can anybody tell me how to access the DLC missions?

Volcynika

It took me 5:20 h on Normal difficulty and the fact that missions are numbered in a R-0X fashion led me to believe that there are at least ten missions, yet there were only seven and one of them can be finished in less than ten minutes.

That really sucks D:
Really wished the game was longer. Aside from that I had huge amounts of fun. Just as I expected from a P* game <3

Since you beat it, pick Story at the main menu. Should be the bottom two options after that selection.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

That really sucks D:

If you're going based on the save game timer, it only counts your gameplay time and your "best" gameplay time despite any retries. Not saying it's a long game... it's fairly short because Platinum didn't have a ton of time to make it, but it might have taken you more than 5:20.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yahtzee is a fucker. I just watched his Nier review and he said nothing positive about the game and in fact I'm pretty sure he hated on that soundtrack as well.

So he hates on both MGR and Nier's soundtracks. How??

to be honest i'm not crazy about the soundtrack either

the game is still dope though

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

That really sucks D:

Platinum had very little time to make this game. First it was in development hell over at KojiPro then it got switched to Platinum while they were working on their own projects.

I'm still blown away by the outcome of this game. The combat is so good and the music is fantastic.

Moaradin

That really sucks D:

It's not a crazy long game or anything, but the in-game timer doesn't really show your total game time since it doesn't count things like cutscenes or multiple attempts on levels (as far as I know). Steam would probably be more accurate.

220px-Elysium_Poster.jpg

I've been taking my sweet time collecting everything for this version, playing through in the Gray Fox suit.

I had no idea my lowly PC would be even to play this game at all (pretty new to PC gaming so I'm not aware of all the possibilities).

PG did well with this, and I hope there able to keep doing improving on it.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Speaking of the pre-Platinum Rising, the official MGS4 artbook has concept art of Raiden carrying an infant Sunny on his back. There are notes from the developers detailing gameplay concepts, like Sunny's cries alerting soldiers.

Anyway, this stuff hearkens back to KJ's Rising wherein Raiden rescues Sunny. I guess they were planning the early concepts during MGS4's development.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anyway, this stuff hearkens back to KJ's Rising wherein Raiden rescues Sunny. I guess they were planning the early concepts during MGS4's development.

It was probably the most logical story they could tell, outside of the Snake universe, given the set up. They might have even intended to put something in MGS4. People say they want a Gray Fox game, but that would require padding. Raiden had the premise set up for him going back to MGS2: mission to rescue Sunny, fill in the gap between then and Sons of the Patriots.

From memory it was Platinum that pushed KojiPro into authorising the abandonment of the Sunny storyline, as they felt the setting would be too restrictive for their gameplay vision.

Top Bottom