• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

TGMIII

Yeah, but I still don't see the need to
harvest the brains from children to do that. It just seems like it's needlessly evil and complicated. Plus it was what turned Raiden against them all.

I mean, yeah, considering how crazy the story is in this game, i probably shouldn't dig too hard at it, but still...
Why the child brains?

I took it like this:
armstrong needed the child brains to create an army so that it could fight with itself. He controls both world marshal and desperado so he could use the child cyborgs to bolster the numbers for both world marshal and desperado to create a pseudo-war. The reason for using child brains is because they're easier to train via VR, much like raiden was as a child. In the same way it's easier to learn a language as a child it would be easier to turn them into trained killers

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why the child brains?

Raiden was a child soldier I guess. So they tried to make the story personal for him in some way

That's really all the logic there is to it

What doesn't make sense to me is why sam went along with it....ever. given his original morals being pretty similar to raidens

TGMIII

Raiden was a child soldier I guess. So they tried to make the story personal for him in some way

What doesn't make sense to me is why sam went along with it....ever. given his original morals being pretty similar to raidens

After playing the DLC I got that idea that
since Sam wasn't strong enough to kill armstrong himself he decided to play along. I guess that he thought that if someone could kill him then they would be strong enough to kill armstrong. How Sam knew someone like that was going to come along I don't know.

Nymphae

Banned
Just to lower your hype a bit, I love this game and I wasn't really impressed with the final boss too much. There were quite a few other bosses who were better.

Damnit now I have no idea what to expect :p. I'm sure I'll enjoy it even if it doesn't melt my face off lol, it's hard not to have a good time playing this.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
After playing the DLC I got that idea that
since Sam wasn't strong enough to kill armstrong himself he decided to play along. I guess that he thought that if someone could kill him then they would be strong enough to kill armstrong. How Sam knew someone like that was going to come along I don't know.

Because videogames.

Carbonox

All this DLC talk is making me real jealous that I've yet to touch any of them. Mainly cos I only have this on PS3 and would have to buy them. :lol I should really just do it considering Rising is one of my favourite games of the generation and I am more inclined to buy DLC for games I adore.

DukeBobby

Finished the Blade Wolf DLC. I really enjoyed it, although the boss fight was quite easy (The Hot Wind Blowing made it amazing, though). Clearly, I'm better at stealth than combat, as I got quite a lot of S rankings.

Xavin

Neo Member
So i finished monsoon on hard with no damage, using the boss rush..took 5h and the achievement didnt pop, did use reload checkpoint though :(

Edit. Must have gotten hit at the very last thing he throws.

Sam's VR Mission 4 Jesus nanomachine Christ

If 3 Mastiffs wasn't fun enough, how about one plus two Vodomerkas in a cramped area where everything that is bad about the camera shows up.

The way I saw it was that Sam decided to join Armstrong and make him trust him enough for him to lower his guard. Once he met Raiden(and saw how he was mowing down Desperado members), he decided to test Raiden to see if he could be strong enough to beat Armstrong.

I think I just made something up, lol.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Teach me master.

Be extremely lucky

In his 2nd phase I got 2 shockwaves in a row which you can punish with a fully charged attack. Only took a couple love taps inbetween dodges after that to put him down.

Other than that it's an endurance test. Taunt when you can and catch him with heavy attacks inbetween moves whenever possible

If he gives you an opportunity for something big you have to be able to recognize and react to it instantly. Easily my favorite encounter just n the game for that reason

Unlike mission 18 it never becomes a truly unmanageable mess. you just have to be on your toes the entire fight

sflufan

Banned
The way I saw it was that Sam decided to join Armstrong and make him trust him enough for him to lower his guard. Once he met Raiden(and saw how he was mowing down Desperado members), he decided to test Raiden to see if he could be strong enough to beat Armstrong.

I think I just made something up, lol.

Actully that was EXACTLY my thoughts about it as well!

Miker

Question from earlier that I was wondering about:

What's the verdict on the Infinite Wigs - B in particular? (I think it allows for infinite Ripper Mode). I unlocked it during my first Hard playthrough, and I'm not sure if I want to use it on Very Hard or Revengeance. Is it tantamount to cheating, or is it designed for use on higher difficulties?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
When Raiden uses Murasama it's identical to his regular sword, right?

Moveset is the same but I think the weapon is supposed to be 10% faster while retaining the regular damage of the default HF sword. It's basically an HF machete without the draw back, I think the machete is 10% faster and 10% less damage.

Grief.exe

Question from earlier that I was wondering about:

What's the verdict on the Infinite Wigs - B in particular? (I think it allows for infinite Ripper Mode). I unlocked it during my first Hard playthrough, and I'm not sure if I want to use it on Very Hard or Revengeance. Is it tantamount to cheating, or is it designed for use on higher difficulties?

Probably, but it would sure help me learn the ropes on Very Hard.

I've kind of hit a brick wall where the skill gap is too large to overcome for a newbie like me.

Any good reason to complete VR missions with sam?

Achievements

Sam is like the opposite of raiden. While raiden's chain enders don't matter, They're all you want as Sam.

I've warmed up to the dlc over time. At launch u also missed raiden's optiins and thought sam was limited, but I actually appreciate the more limited moveset as the content can be more tightly designed around it. While raiden has options to pretty much break every encounter in the main game, Sam's dlc forces you to play right to succeed. Almost no easy ways out in the chapter.

I just wish there was more original cintent within it.

And of all the levels to reuse... the sewer level? Sam is cool as shit though.

Most notably, a few VR missions with Sam get you permanent health upgrades (1, 3, and 5 I think).

Whoa, I wish I had known this. That Armstrong fight is HARD.

TnK

Maybe. I'm not the biggest fan of the show. It just makes more sense in line with dante (space adventure cobra) and joe (kamen rider) as shows from kamiya's child hood influencing the settings in his games.

That's not to say some of his staff aren't gurren lagann fans and that manifested itself in jerginga's design, but i'd be surprised if kamiya had even seen the show himself.

I don't know if I'd praise its writing, but 101 definitely has the best english adaption/localization and the presentation of the narrative is on a completely different level from their previous games.
Hmm, better localization is the words then, my bad. It is my favorite story from platinum, and one of my favorites in video games in general. It has the right amount of serious and not taking itself seriously, well developed characters, and good humor. Has the whole package.

ARGHHHHHHH fighting Armstrong with Sam is IMPOSSIBLE on revengeance, this is worst than VR mission 18.
You beat Blade Wolf and you are complaining about Armstrong? Strategy: Taunt, dodge like a madman, and do a charge attack when he charges. Should stop whatever he is doing, and you will deal about 20% damage. You need to look for that opening though.

EDIT: just realized that Retro_ gave a somewhat better explanation than mine.

I just noticed that Sam's DLC kinda frustrates me, even if I really love it. I guess the option of not having stealth kills with him is the reason. Mastiffs are really easy with sam though, simply taunt, charge the first attack, and do the finisher. Boom they die.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
You beat Blade Wolf and you are complaining about Armstrong? Strategy: Taunt, dodge like a madman, and do a charge attack when he charges. Should stop whatever he is doing, and you will deal about 20% damage. You need to look for that opening though.

I just noticed that Sam's DLC kinda frustrates me, even if I really love it. I guess the option of not having stealth kills with him is the reason. Mastiffs are really easy with sam though, simply taunt, charge the first attack, and do the finisher. Boom they die.

My main problem is that Armstrong melee range is actually longer than it appears to be, when i think i'm in a safe distance he manages to damage me.

Hachimaki

Wondering if someone can help me out. I'm looking for an earlier post that had a nice write about combat tips and other things to know for newcomers to Rising.

About to start a new game soon and playing on a 360 controller.

Grief.exe

My main problem is that Armstrong melee range is actually longer than it appears to be, when i think i'm in a safe distance he manages to damage me.

When I would dodge his attacks instead I did notice there was a large trail coming out of his arm to signify a longer attack. I know exactly what you are talking about.

His attacks are easy to parry, so I would suggest doing that.

TnK

Then dodge from that distance as well. Just to be on the safe side, dodge when you see his attacks.
When I would dodge his attacks instead I did notice there was a large trail coming out of his arm to signify a longer attack. I know exactly what you are talking about.

His attacks are easy to parry, so I would suggest doing that.
If you taunt, parrying his attacks will damage you, and on Revengeance mode, you NEED to taunt armstrong.

If we're talking OG Ninja Gaiden/Black and not Sigma then NG easily.

If you're talking Sigma then Revengeance easily.

I'd like to know why NGB is so highly regarded. I have only finished Sigma, and it was a chore to finish, plus it was not as hard as advertised by many.

JoeFenix

8N6oVICl.jpg

Still love the combat VR missions!

Did 18 with no Bloodlust and no Dystopia, it really isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be honestly. Sure you can get screwed by some bad luck but like anywhere else in the game once you learn how to manage enemies and deal with the camera it really isn't a big deal. Wave 3 is the hardest because of the fenrir with his plasma cannon but if you stay at the optimal range it's fine. Just kill him if he gives you the opportunity and then the hammer dudes are easy by themselves. If you're lucky the fenrir will take out one or even both of the hammer guys with his kunai throw and that makes it even easier.

Once you get to a point where you're really comfortable with the game the VR missions really aren't too much of a problem but they will definitely annihilate you if you were just winging it during the main game. I wish there were more combat centered missions overall!

8N6oVICl.jpg

Still love the combat VR missions!

Did 18 with no Bloodlust and no Dystopia, it really isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be honestly. Sure you can get screwed by some bad luck but like anywhere else in the game once you learn how to manage enemies and deal with the camera it really isn't a big deal. Wave 3 is the hardest because of the fenrir with his plasma cannon but if you stay at the optimal range it's fine. Just kill him if he gives you the opportunity and then the hammer dudes are easy by themselves. If you're lucky the fenrir will take out one or even both of the hammer guys with his kunai throw and that makes it even easier.

Once you get to a point where you're really comfortable with the game the VR missions really aren't too much of a problem but they will definitely annihilate you if you were just winging it during the main game. I wish there were more combat centered missions overall!

It's mainly the luck aspect and the awful camera that make them "hard". None of them require particularly extreme levels of execution or reaction times, it's just a matter of getting the right AI actions 3-4 times in a row. I wish this game had something closer to a Bloody Palace mode because the combat is fun, but the VR missions really aren't.

JoeFenix

It's mainly the luck aspect and the awful camera that make them "hard". None of them require particularly extreme levels of execution or reaction times, it's just a matter of getting the right AI actions 3-4 times in a row. I wish this game had something closer to a Bloody Palace mode because the combat is fun, but the VR missions really aren't.

The thing is you don't need to necessarily fish for the right AI reactions unless you really want to go super fast. There's nothing the enemies will do that you can't deal with, if the gecko doesn't charge you just air parry one of his kicks. The mastiffs have so many moves that you can easily perfect parry. You don't need to get lucky and wait for a double wall jump, it just saves time.

I agree about a Bloody Palace type mode though, I like the combat based VR missions because they are the closest thing that we get to a BP. I want more!

Uraizen

Banned
The thing is you don't need to necessarily fish for the right AI reactions unless you really want to go super fast. There's nothing the enemies will do that you can't deal with, if the gecko doesn't charge you just air parry one of his kicks. The mastiffs have so many moves that you can easily perfect parry. You don't need to get lucky and wait for a double wall jump, it just saves time.

No, see, that's the problem. Even if I just kill one of them from the wall jump they always start with, sometimes the camera refuses to focus on the other one. Without being able to see the other one, I have no clue what he's up to. The fenrir I use the same strategy you do, but sometimes he goes flying off screen and while I'm trying to find him with the camera, he either shoots lasers or comes charging at me. Other than that it's all pretty easy.

JoeFenix

No, see, that's the problem. Even if I just kill one of them from the wall jump they always start with, sometimes the camera refuses to focus on the other one. Without being able to see the other one, I have no clue what he's up to. The fenrir I use the same strategy you do, but sometimes he goes flying off screen and while I'm trying to find him with the camera, he either shoots lasers or comes charging at me. Other than that it's all pretty easy.

I don't know, I guess I'm just used to dealing with the camera. The mastiffs rarely give me any problem in 18 because you can always take out atleast one of them almost immediately. I don't use lock on other than on the GRAD.

Top Bottom