• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you watch it closely the grenade itself only technically stuns him for the first charge attack, after that he's stunned from raw damage until the grenade fades just when he dies.

Right so it wouldn't work without the grenade

Once the grenade is used anyone can beat him. Whether your combination is air tight after that doesn't matter.

The video creator is even encouraging people to use subweapons in the comments lol. (not that there's anything wrong with that though. If it's in the game use it.)

i think i might have missed something, but how do i use healing items?

Three methods:

1) Hit left/right on the d-pad to bring up the sub-weapons menu, go to the items box (furthest left), scroll up/down until you find the nanopaste, hit X to use.

2) While you're in that menu, hit A to SELECT the item without using it. You'll then have that item prepped for automatic use. You can tell because underneath your BP counter you'll see a medic icon with a number beside it; that number is the number of nanopastes you have left. Now the game will automatically use an item when your health drops to 0 until you run out of nanopastes.

3) Apparently (haven't tried it myself) you can hit DOWN on the d-pad at any time to use a nanopaste. No, this doesn't appear to be documented anywhere. One of the Kotaku writers apparently found this one.

Honestly, you can probably just use method #2 and forget about that part of the sub-weapons menu from now on. I've never not had nanopastes selected once I figured out the auto-use feature.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Right so it wouldn't work without the grenade

Yeah but in theory it would work with anything that would stun it long enough for him to start getting charge combo's off...which in this case would be just about any other sub weapon haha.

Not the most compelling argument but I just wanted to say that the grenade isn't the only factor to that charge attack chain. RP nades don't fully immobilize they just make it so they can't see you until you've hit them once I believe.

TnK

Wow, this fight with PP and no taunting is a whole lot more fun. No items here, I used the launcher after PP like in the video.

samdoghuzg2.png

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but in theory it would work with anything that would stun it long enough for him to start getting charge combo's off...which in this case would be just about any other sub weapon haha.

Not the most compelling argument but I just wanted to say that the grenade isn't the only factor to that charge attack chain. RP nades don't fully immobilize they just make it so they can't see you until you've hit them once I believe.

IIRC they can't see you until the effect is absolutely gone. So you can be hitting them and they still can't take action. (maybe not for humans but I'm pretty sure you can just wail on robots like the bladewolf grunts and mastiffs)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wow, this fight with PP and no taunting is a whole lot more fun. No items here, I used the launcher after PP like in the video.

Congrats! Shame there is no achievement for that since that fight is actually one of the more annoying ones to no damage which coincidentally happens to be the most reliable method to S rank it.

IIRC they can't see you until the effect is absolutely gone. So you can be hitting them and they still can't take action.

Really? I mean it sounds right but that just makes the RP nade better than the EM grenade in every way other than against monsoon, I always assumed the RP nade was for making it easier to sneak / turning gangbangs into a 1v1 for a bit while the EM nade was used for totally incapacitating enemies while you go to town on them.

Volcynika

Knowing the way Platinum works and how the S-Rank Revengeance/No damage parts work with checkpoints, I'm going to guess that it counts screwups.

I forgot how damn annoying VR mission 17 is (to get gold on, in particular). :\

Boooooooooooo. I saw some video of a guy beating it in 36 minutes ish with a couple screwups, stealth is the way to go through the entire thing it seems!

Also, how hard are VR missions (just the base ones, not the DLC ones) to complete without going for the gold time?

Boooooooooooo. I saw some video of a guy beating it in 36 minutes ish with a couple screwups, stealth is the way to go through the entire thing it seems!

Also, how hard are VR missions (just the base ones, not the DLC ones) to complete without going for the gold time?

17, 18, and 19 can be infuriating, but apparently if you fall off the map on 19, you become invincible... never knew that... did it normally on ps3, but the camera went wonky last night and i fell off/through the map -- next thing I know, I was invincible... but I still failed it on that run because one of the wolves hit another with knives. :lol

Even without the glitch, if you take your time, 19 isn't terrible. It just requires patience so that you can deal with everything in proper order getting all your zandatsu kills.
Side note, VR 01 can be a pain in the ass to gold, but if you don't care about gold, then it's no problem at all.

So 17 and 18 are the real pains in the ass as far as the base 20 go. 17 isn't absolutely terrible if you don't go for the gold -- after a few runs last night, I had about a 4:08 but you need under 3:30 for the gold (I just got it in a spectacular run! yay!). 18 is basically revengeance mode with no upgrades against 4 (the joke wave not included) waves of enemies, the worst being wave 3 with it's wolf + 2x heavy + dwarf gekko.

--

Speaking of that damn wolf -- I've been losing track of where they'll spawn (it's a 50/50) and thus having trouble trying to use the heavies as shields to the projectiles from the wolf. I recently got him to knife one of the heavies, but then he started the laser beam shenanigans and once that hits you... what's the best way to handle that jackass when he's playing laser sniper?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

To just finish? They're not so bad besides VR 18 which is set up in such a way that you either finish it and get gold or you just lose.

This is a picture I took last year when I first finished VR 18

Gold only needs under 10 minutes and if you take longer than 10 minutes you've probably set yourself up to die.

Volcynika

17, 18, and 19 can be infuriating, but apparently if you fall off the map on 19, you become invincible... never knew that... did it normally on ps3, but the camera went wonky last night and i fell off/through the map -- next thing I know, I was invincible... but I still failed it on that run because one of the wolves hit another with knives. :lol

Even without the glitch, if you take your time, 19 isn't terrible. It just requires patience so that you can deal with everything in proper order getting all your zandatsu kills.
Side note, VR 01 can be a pain in the ass to gold, but if you don't care about gold, then it's no problem at all.

So 17 and 18 are the real pains in the ass as far as the base 20 go. 17 isn't absolutely terrible if you don't go for the gold -- after a few runs last night, I had about a 4:08 but you need under 3:30 for the gold (I just got it in a spectacular run! yay!). 18 is basically revengeance mode with no upgrades against 4 (the joke wave not included) waves of enemies, the worst being wave 3 with it's wolf + 2x heavy + dwarf gekko.

--

Speaking of that damn wolf -- I've been losing track of where they'll spawn (it's a 50/50) and thus having trouble trying to use the heavies as shields to the projectiles from the wolf. I recently got him to knife one of the heavies, but then he started the laser beam shenanigans and once that hits you... what's the best way to handle that jackass when he's playing laser sniper?

To just finish? They're not so bad besides VR 18 which is set up in such a way that you either finish it and get gold or you just lose.

This is a picture I took last year when I first finished VR 18

Gold only needs under 10 minutes and if you take longer than 10 minutes you've probably set yourself up to die.

Hm ok. I know that getting all the customization items unlocked means I'll have to gold them all, but not sure if I'll be able to. I know I did try VR01 and was 20 sec off the gold time, so I missed that pretty bad!

Guess I'll have to find out later!

The enemy layouts are remixed and there are several tweaks, IIRC the perfect parry window is a lot shorter and enemies are more aggressive. Revengeance is the same layout as Very Hard but with a rule change that your parry does like 100000000x damage and enemies do a ton of damage as well (kind of like Heaven or Hell but way more fun).

Easy, Normal, and Hard have the same layouts I think.

TnK

reposting this... no one ever replies to me on this thread. fuuuu >_< i finished another level and took a screen cap of my issue. can ANYONE help me? wondering if this is an isolated glitch or if others have experienced it as well. this sort of lack of texture or whatnot only occurs in this customization screen. rest of the game is fine. :/

HZKh2bTl.png

Update your drivers, that may be the reason.

YESSS. Took me three days but i beat the final boss, it seems all my problems were from a faulty LT button....damn it.
Now you know why you felt the QTE was bugged.

Congrats! Shame there is no achievement for that since that fight is actually one of the more annoying ones to no damage which coincidentally happens to be the most reliable method to S rank it.
Thanks! I don't mind if there is no achievement, as long as I kicked its ass without getting hit.
What's the major difference between very hard and hard :eek:
You recieve more damage, and enemy encounters have been modified with new enemies, plus they are more aggressive. Like MTMBStudios said, boot up the first encounter to find out.

Tecl0n

Now you know why you felt the QTE was bugged.

Actually, upon further tryings, it seems to be tied to framerate. I hang around 30fps since i'm on integrated temporarily, and i realized that if it went lower to around 25 the qte would bug and would not let you go into blade mode, making the fight unwinnable.

Grief.exe

Do we have any idea how well this is selling?

Going by the Green Man Gaming and Steam sellers list, Tony at Amazon saying that it sold beyond his, already lofty, expectations, and the concurrent player count, very well.

Tora has said that he can't release sales information directly, and Kellams has said that he doesn't have access at all.

I think what will ultimately hurt sales potential is the port having some minor issues and that Always Online bullshit.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
playing this for the first time on consoles but figured this was as good a ppace as any to post

LOVE THIS SHIT

glad it's selling well, too! hopefully kaimya is given freedom to make more character action games

Nyoro SF

how do i not suck against the robot raptors :(

can you do something about their emp blasts?

If you do enough damage you can stun them out of the EMP blast as well. Hope you've upgraded your weapon!

playing this for the first time on consoles but figured this was as good a ppace as any to post

LOVE THIS SHIT

glad it's selling well, too! hopefully kaimya is given freedom to make more character action games

I'm glad to hear you're liking it but this is not a Kamiya game. I hope that more of Platinum Games's work comes to PC eventually, both past and future.

Anteater

how do i not suck against the robot raptors :(

can you do something about their emp blasts?

yea you could dodge the blasts I think, I suck fighting those things too, I often just mash attacks until something glows blue and slash them off >_> sometimes I can't dodge the balls, sometimes I could stun them, sometimes I can't, kind of annoying

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm glad to hear you're liking it but this is not a Kamiya game. I hope that more of Platinum Games's work comes to PC eventually, both past and future.

huh, really? well then - i hope more Plat games come to all systems. bayonetta 1/2 collection & tw101 for pc/ps4 would be just dreamy.

JoeFenix

The enemy layouts are remixed and there are several tweaks, IIRC the perfect parry window is a lot shorter and enemies are more aggressive. Revengeance is the same layout as Very Hard but with a rule change that your parry does like 100000000x damage and enemies do a ton of damage as well (kind of like Heaven or Hell but way more fun).

Parry window is very loose on Easy and Normal and gets tighter on Hard and above. There's only 2 tiers as far as I know.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Prettttttty much. You can only hope for Bayo 1, Max Anarchy, and Vanquish for now, since Sega is PC friendly at least.

Mad World ? Not that it's a game I can ever see going anywhere outside the Wii but I don't think Nintendo were involved with that.

Anteater

You recieve more damage, and enemy encounters have been modified with new enemies, plus they are more aggressive. Like MTMBStudios said, boot up the first encounter to find out.

Thanks for the info!

Majukun

first impressions

-the camera is really a problem,and sometimes it refuses to stay at the angle you place it

-i'm not really good at this game yet..lots of "B"s,probably i'm missing something

-mastiffs are the stuff your nightmares have nightmares about

-the story is kinda intrusive,too much CG for an action game

-the game has a really good variety of situation and gameplay mechanics,i like that

first impressions

-the camera is really a problem,and sometimes it starightly refuses to stay at the angle you place it

-i'm not really good at this game yet..lots of "B"s,probably i'm missing something

-mastiffs are the stuff your nightmares have nightmares about

-the story is kinda intrusive,too much CG for an action game

-the game has a really good variety of situation and gameplay mechanics,i like that

1. target locking really helps with this, tap the right bumper to lock on (this is sort of poorly documented)
2. Bs are pretty good for the start!
3. you'll get used to them. once you get used to countering them, they quickly become a minor nuisance
4. pause, skip
5. glad you're enjoying it!

Majukun

1. target locking really helps with this, tap the right bumper to lock on (this is sort of poorly documented)
2. Bs are pretty good for the start!
3. you'll get used to them. once you get used to countering them, they quickly become a minor nuisance
4. pause, skip
5. glad you're enjoying it!

1) learned it alone when i reached that half tank half metal gear thing at the end of the sewers,but i have still problems sometimes.anyway,there's some place where you can train with the new moves you buy in the "shop"?
2)oh really?
3)how are you suppose to avoid their "hug"?
4)well,i still want to know why i'm doing what 'm doing..but a lot of codec calls could have been made audible during the gameplay instead of stopping you and making you walk for a while.
5)do the extra weapons add much to the combat?i've unlocked mistral's lance but i have yet to buy it.

BadWolf

1) learned it alone when i reached that half tank half metal gear thing at the end of the sewers,but i have still problems sometimes.anyway,there's some place where you can train with the new moves you buy in the "shop"?
2)oh really?
4)well,i still want to know why i'm doing what 'm doing..but a lot of codec calls could have been made audible during the gameplay instead of stopping you and making you walk for a while.
5)do the extra weapons add much to the combat?i've unlocked mistral's lance but i have yet to buy it.

Buy the dodge move called Defensive Offensive, it has invincibility frames.

When it gears up for a grab just dodge left or right.

Volcynika

2)oh really?

3) Dodge. Buy the Offense Defense or whatever skill.

Top Bottom