• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

1. Hm, strange. I don't remember the jumps being undodgeable. The gekko should really not be fought at all, though, just run away from it until it decides to charge, just like in the campaign. It's too risky to try and air parry it or dodge around it because of the little dudes.

2. The lock-on in the game isn't a true lock-on. It just prevents the automatic soft-lock from changing targets. If the target manages to leave the frame it'll try to find another target and lock on to that one. Lock-on isn't particularly useful on VR18, it's much better to manually adjust the camera. The dwarf gekkos tend to mess with it a ton because the lock-on will stick to them if your target is unavailable (either by the camera bumping against the wall or if they jump offscreen), which is a massive pain.

For 1, I kill all the dwarf gekkos in round 1 instantly, they're gone before I touch the gekko. The problem is if the gekko doesn't charge at the start, I have to block a kick usually and then deal with it until it wants to charge. At points, I would get bored and start doing damage to it and backing off trying to get it to charge and sometimes it would hop. After getting crossed up by that shit on more than one occasion, I figured side evade would have some i-frames and I could get out of it that way. Nope. Still got hit somehow.

For 2, the lock was cause I wanted to keep my focus and attack targets on the damned wolf so I could try to parry and such.

I did manage to do it and moved on to Sam's DLC. Playing as Sam is a lot different. I'm so programmed to try to parry that I forget about the whole taunt mechanic.

Watched my 12 year old nephew play through the first chapter. He actually did pretty well but he couldn't reconcile that he could both attack something and parry it at the same time. He was playing like it was a Souls or something. Get a few hits in then run away and wait for a parry opportunity. He could do parry counters pretty consistently, then again, it was normal but damn. I was impressed. Surprisingly ungreedy play from a kid, I would have been going ham on everything lol

Rediscovering the game on PC after all its parts finally clicked. I actually loved it on PS3 (got it with PS+), but I was pretty much playing it like a Devil May Cry with a more awkward dodge and a parry/counter (I was currently on chapter 4 due to busy schedule and other games). Playing through the Blade Wolf DLC before tackling the main game (hey, it's a prequel, right) made all of its mechanics fall into place (and most interestingly of all, making it feel more like a Metal Gear game), and I'm enjoying the main game even more as a result (not to mention steamrolling stuff that got me stumped for a while the first time).

This is not the first time this happened to me with a Platinum game; like so many others, I started playing Vanquish's demo like a cover shooter, obviously bringing down its appeal quite a lot. I replayed it after learning about boosting and other stuff and it was like a different game entirely. I believe this is actually a problem with Platinum Games', er, games; they're often so deep that you can finish them using only a subset of your repertoire; this is a bad thing when the subset you fall into (because of it being more obvious) is not concordant with your own tastes and/or vastly suboptimal. I even think Bayonetta could have been like this for me (ignoring Witch Time, offset cancel, etc.) if I hadn't been watching videos for years before actually buying a 360 for it.

You can parry everything a Gekko does, except for the yellow cable attack. Look for when its legs glow orange. That's your cue. To get a counter, you have to air-parry it, though.

Holy shit, I never thought of this. I've been backing them into a corner so they can't jump back when you counter them, which also seems to work but is obviously more awkward. Thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

anyway to skip the splash screens? too many to wait through to get to playing! i know you can make them go by faster but it isnt by much.

I'd also like to know. I've skimmed through the game files but I hadn't found any that seem to obviously be the logos.

My only gripe so far is that the camera and lock on function feels really awkward. Is there an easier way to cycle enemies than "hold target, cycle using camera"? It's a little much holding sprint, running and dodging, holding camera, and cycling targets all at once. Or is this simply what I need to get good at?

You don't need to hold the lock on button at all! Just tap it and it locks onto the enemy in front of you, then cycle with the right analog, or tap it again to unlock. Actually, this might be a setting, but if it is, I enabled it first thing after booting on both PS3 and PC and forgot about it.

This game runs fine for me 99% of the time but for whatever reason when a button prompt appears I will get some pretty bad slow downs. Anyone else had this problem and possibly a fix?

Hah, suck it Very Hard mode! YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT A SOUL CAN'T BE CUT!

Feels goodman. I tried to go through the whole thing without healing or using special items, but I broke down and used a couple of nanopastes on the freight elevator fight when the two Mastiffs jump in to say hi. Chapter 4 is definitely the hardest part of the game for me, but I struggle any time I'm fighting two Mastiffs at once. Lord knows how I ever got through that bit in Chapter 3 where Mastiffs and Fenrirs just start pouring down the stairs at you. Still did all the bosses legit, though, so I'm feeling pretty good about it. I suppose I'll have to give Revengeance a go now, but first I want to do a nice, languid playthrough and listen to all the Codec calls.

Uraizen

Banned
Welp...

KPlbLYT.jpg

I can safely say that I like this game.

Hypron

Let me tell ya, though... VR mission 27 of the "DLC"... *shakes head* The enemies will walk off the edge and kill themselves sometimes so you can't get the zandatsu! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!

That mission was outright infuriating. I can't believe I actually paid money (I got it on 360) to get pissed off haha.

Uraizen

Banned
That mission was outright infuriating. I can't believe I actually paid money (I got it on 360) to get pissed off haha.

I had the PS3 one and got them for free. I was happy I didn't pay money for it. I enjoyed the game a lot, but I was never motivated enough to do all this. I know it sounds dumb, but having the game start up instantly on your PC is a world of difference. If I have just the smallest itch, I can scratch it immediately. Feels good, man...

TnK

I have never tried getting full achievements for any game. Is it fun doing so? For me, I imagine myself getting sick of the game at some point.

Uraizen

Banned
I have never tried getting full achievements for any game. Is it fun doing so? For me, I imagine myself getting sick of the game at some point.

Tekken 6 and this are the only games I have ever gotten all the achievements for. I almost didn't bother with this one because of the codec achievement. That was the worst one.

If you love a game enough, you'll end up playing the hell out of it and inadvertently unlock most of them anyway.

Hypron

I had the PS3 one and got them for free. I was happy I didn't pay money for it. I enjoyed the game a lot, but I was never motivated enough to do all this. I know it sounds dumb, but having the game start up instantly on your PC is a world of difference. If I have just the smallest itch, I can scratch it immediately. Feels good, man...

Totally. I actually find PC gaming more convenient than console gaming just because of that. I could be browsing the web or working one instant and then start playing a game the next without even having to stand up.

I think all the campaign ones are fun to get. The VR missions ones less so, because a couple of them are really, really annoying.

Edit: Ha yeah Uraizen is right, the codec achievement freaking sucks.

Uraizen

Banned
Totally. I actually find PC gaming more convenient than console gaming just because of that. I could be browsing the web or working one instant and then start playing a game the next without even having to stand up.

I'm going to be honest here. This is 99.9% of the reason I want PC ports of games.

EDIT: Btw, strange phenomenon happened earlier. A gekko was trying to headbutt me (so what's new?) and as I was doing that a stray bullet hit my sword. So I ended up doing the perfect parry animation and the gekko strayed slightly off to the side still running. Heh... I perfect parried a bullet.

Hypron

I'm going to be honest here. This is 99.9% of the reason I want PC ports of games.

EDIT: Btw, strange phenomenon happened earlier. A gekko was trying to headbutt me (so what's new?) and as I was doing that a stray bullet hit my sword. So I ended up doing the perfect parry animation and the gekko strayed slightly off to the side still running. Heh... I perfect parried a bullet.

Did that never happen to you during the second phase of the metal gear ray at the beginning of the game? If you get one on revengeance you can kill the boss in one hit haha.

TnK

Hmm, I guess I'll go for the really fun ones then, and ignore the rest.

I PPed bullets several time by mistake, and it always annoyed me as Raided faced the opposite direction and the attack I tried to PP would hit me. I would like to try it vs MG Ray though.

Uraizen

Banned
Did that never happen to you during the second phase of the metal gear ray at the beginning of the game? If you get one on revengeance you can kill the boss in one hit haha.

... I just did all this and I am just now learning you can perfect parry a bullet. Explain this to me, please. Does it send the bullet flying back or does it just make the perfect parry animation come out?

Hypron

... I just did all this and I am just now learning you can perfect parry a bullet. Explain this to me, please. Does it send the bullet flying back or does it just make the perfect parry animation come out?

You just get the perfect parry animation. Sometimes when you try to block a metal gear ray headbut you'll perfect parry a bullet fired by its turret. If the riposte hits the metal gear on revengeance it'll take massive damage and go in its last phase.

Uraizen

Banned
You just get the perfect parry animation. Sometimes when you try to block a metal gear ray headbut you'll perfect parry a bullet fired by its turret. If the riposte hits the metal gear on revengeance it'll take massive damage and go in its last phase.

Sadly, I have never had that happen to me. I teased the hell out of him and he repeatedly tried to headbutt. Never had it happen to me, but it's good to know that you can.

jett

D-Member
Why is your Muramasa at basic stats?
Do you have any of the wigs?
You can try using the white armor, it might give you 10 nanopaste (not sure if it's automatic).

Or you could just use both sticks and do it as intended.
Just pick your thumb UP off the blade mode stick once the cut is lined up.
Some people recommend changing the blade mode control to left stick (Type B... or D maybe?)

Nah it's just not as accurate. By doing that you may slightly alter the angle which would get you just two pink squares, ending with you dying.

popyea

Nah it's just not as accurate. By doing that you may slightly alter the angle which would get you just two pink squares, ending with you dying.

If you push your thumb off the stick in the direction you have it held, then it will snap back to neutral without any change of angle. Unless you've got a loose stick or something, I don't think it can receive any input to change the angle at that point.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Fuck, I have the same problem which I had when playing any Crysis. It's locked to 24fps while playing on my Bravia. Can i somehow fix this?

Very cinematic 24 fps. Haha.

Will try the fix mentioned above.

uh oh, does this game has the same issues as Crysis when it comes to the 24hz thing? Where you can't specify a refresh rate and for some reason it defaults to the lowest so you can't play it on some TVs?

Not a dealbreaker but certainly lame.

Another full-screen issue here... Playing on my Samsung 1080p television, and full-screen settings in game are fine until I select 1920x1080 (16:9), when I get a black screen and a message (from the tv) that the resolution is not supported (again, a 1080p television).

Huh.

Dont know if this has been posted yet, but i really think it should be in the OP for all the people playing on HDTVs.

An easy fix for the full screen 24hz.....which also fixes every other game that fucks around like this is Borderless Windowed.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WindowedBorderlessGaming/discussions/0/846966336037436101/

Different software but same idea, windowed mode but borderless: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6utvc3azpe0ugy5/fullscreenizer.zip

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shit Eating Grins: Revengeance

Calabi

What is with the barcodes on their foreheads? Do they not have a better way of identifying them in the future like facial recognition. Are they mass produced in a factory.

KarmaCow

How are the DLC VR missions in comparison to the standard ones? I've somewhat enjoyed everything except the sub weapon missions and 18 so far, but overall the missions seem really unbalanced. Some missions require absolute perfect timing to get gold and fairly mindless (like the turret one). I'm kinda tempted to go for all the achievements but those VR missions and the codec one seem like they could be annoying.

Also can you pause->restart scrub your way through S-ranking Revengeance? I vaguely remember someone saying it tracks your time through restarts.

Again, I've never had a problem with it once I realized it was human error pulling the stick in the opposite direction that was fucking up my angle... once I started just picking up my thumb so the stick returns to neutral, I had 0 problems.

If you push your thumb off the stick in the direction you have it held, then it will snap back to neutral without any change of angle. Unless you've got a loose stick or something, I don't think it can receive any input to change the angle at that point.

Pretty much.

How are the DLC VR missions in comparison to the standard ones? I've somewhat enjoyed everything except the sub weapon missions and 18 so far, but overall the missions seem really unbalanced. Some missions require absolute perfect timing to get gold and fairly mindless (like the turret one). I'm kinda tempted to go for all the achievements but those VR missions and the codec one seem like they could be annoying.

Also can you pause->restart scrub your way through S-ranking Revengeance? I vaguely remember someone saying it tracks your time through restarts.

Yeah, you kind of can.
And I hear the DLC missions are worse than the standard VR missions.
Besides, I think just about everyone will have to restart a checkpoint during revengeance runs. :p

The codec achievement isn't hard, it just takes a bit of time.
If you start your first playthrough with it and clean it up on a second or third run, it's really not bad. I forgot some of the stuff I learned about doing it on PS3 and ended up not getting it first run this time, but I got it by the elevator in mission R04 on my 2nd play.

McNum

Well, made it through the first chapter on Very Hard. Overall, not too bad, but the game really punishes mistakes now. I'm also fairly sure that Mistral's last phase has a different pattern than on Hard and Normal. More of the spinny charge attack.

I'm so glad I have the 5-5-5 Murasama on hand for this. Can't imagine doing this with the default unupgraded HF blade. I'm spending the BP I get on upgrades for the Armor Breaker. I get the feeling I'm going to need it later.

Also, stealth kills are the way to go on Very Hard. Thin the herd before a fight if you can.

In any case, next up is R-02.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"They do kill some POWs! And some civillians! Bahahahaaha!"

Sundowner makes Fatman come off as low key. At least there were no rollerskates involved this time.

demidar

Well, made it through the first chapter on Very Hard. Overall, not too bad, but the game really punishes mistakes now. I'm also fairly sure that Mistral's last phase has a different pattern than on Hard and Normal. More of the spinny charge attack.

I'm so glad I have the 5-5-5 Murasama on hand for this. Can't imagine doing this with the default unupgraded HF blade. I'm spending the BP I get on upgrades for the Armor Breaker. I get the feeling I'm going to need it later.

Also, stealth kills are the way to go on Very Hard. Thin the herd before a fight if you can.

In any case, next up is R-02.

Wait, I thought you already finished the game on PS3/360?

Anteater

very hard actually feels easier so far because my blade is upgraded early in the game =o just kind of mashed through mistral but used 3 nanopastes, for example those raptors in the sewers died incredibly quick, it took me forever on hard :/

only on chapter 2 tho

Zeth

Can anyone post one of those helpful youtube tutorials for the game? I've seen some before in the thread, but I can't seem to find any now. Want familiarize myself a bit before I continue.

Wait, I feel like a dumbass, but you can use both sticks in free blade mode? What does the left stick do? I usually try to orient the blade cut with the right stick, and slash by pushing it in opposite direction (or more realistically, I just push the right stick around like a madman hoping one cut will hit the pink box).

Game is still great (and hard!), but I am surprised by how awful the camera is. I don't know, it feels fundamentally broken. Fighting multiple enemies is not so much hard because of the increased heat, but because I pretty much never get to see most of them when they actually attack.

Last question - I have this random bug (on ps3, sorry), where the game adds additional spurious inputs; never anything bad, only: random pauses (random starts), and random equip item screen (left/right on the pad). I very much doubt that I am entering them by mistake - you could argue the random item could be possible, but the start button is too far from anything else for me to touch it by mistake, and it happens in non-frentic situations too.

Wait, I feel like a dumbass, but you can use both sticks in free blade mode? What does the left stick do? I usually try to orient the blade cut with the right stick, and slash by pushing it in opposite direction (or more realistically, I just push the right stick around like a madman hoping one cut will hit the pink box).

it moves the camera and if you click in the stick it allows you to move Raiden around while still in the mode

Game is still great (and hard!), but I am surprised by how awful the camera is. I don't know, it feels fundamentally broken. Fighting multiple enemies is not so much hard because of the increased heat, but because I pretty much never get to see most of them when they actually attack.

Last question - I have this random bug (on ps3, sorry), where the game adds additional spurious inputs; never anything bad, only: random pauses (random starts), and random equip item screen (left/right on the pad). I very much doubt that I am entering them by mistake - you could argue the random item could be possible, but the start button is too far from anything else for me to touch it by mistake, and it happens in non-frentic situations too.

left stick moves the camera and right stick is to cut in the default control scheme if that is your question, also you can use x (square on ps) to do a horizontal slash or y (triangle) to do a vertical slash

as for the other bug, can't help you sorry

left stick moves the camera and right stick is to cut in the default control scheme if that is your question, also you can use x (square on ps) to do a horizontal slash or y (triangle) to do a vertical slash

as for the other bug, can't help you sorry

And if you click in and hold the the camera stick clicked in you can move around in blade mode

zychi

Banned
so i finally beat this on hard last night. is there a code like the console version that will unlock revengence for me?

Top Bottom