• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Volcynika

What the hell is VR mission 18.....

The one thing that annoys me is that I have base stats sword, why? How am I supposed to PP gekkos? the keep on jumping back. Same thing about the raptors.

Wait for them to rush you, the counter will give you the easy kill.

I fucked up doing no damage on Monsoon at least 5 times now. The last time I need to get his emp purple glowy stuff off and charge pincers he seems to get up and do his 5 hit combo instead of getting knocked back. I'd blame my timing but I doubt I could consistently fuck up in the same way.

Doing the fight over so many times, I'm kind of over it. The first section is the only genuine fighty part. The rest is throw the sai/emp grenade, hit him a few times then get stuff hurled at you, rinse and repeat.

He's a jerk.
I had him skipping cycles when I did it last night, but I don't know how.
The worst parts of that fight for no damage (I think it's one of the hardest in the core game) are:
(1) the RP grenades; if he catches you on autopilot with trying to damage him, he can do this as an interrupt of sorts and if you don't dodge, you take damage. I had him do this after the unique attack sequence the first time you destroy his Lorentz Force... I was furious.
(2) That unique attack sequence... there's a penchant for missing a block somewhere in the flurry of attacks.
(3) The last cycle of thrown vehicles... I got lucky on my attempt where I got it and somehow got him to skip that at one point so the last time he does it (<40% health) had him only throwing 3 and 4 vehicles. This is definitely best handled by doing the running away strategy as it's really easy to miss a vehicle and take damage when there's 5+.

What the hell is VR mission 18.....

The one thing that annoys me is that I have base stats sword, why? How am I supposed to PP gekkos? the keep on jumping back. Same thing about the raptors.

You don't have to parry/just-defend the gekkos. You just need to have it charge and then block and zandatsu.

The mastiffs are about baiting out the drop kick or the wall pounce because they're the easiest to parry/just-defend.

The crux of the whole thing once you learn the first 2 waves is that damn wolf. Even if you get him to hit the heavy with a knife and stun him (besides there's a good chance he still lives and becomes unstunned (though it helps later)) there's no guarantee that you will be able to get the wolf to cooperate and put you in a good position for taking it out. Seriously. You try to draw him away from the hammers so you can get him to charge and counter it and he starts doing the laser. You stay still too long trying to focus on him and you get grabbed by a dwarf of take a stray hammer to the face.

Everything after that wolf is dead is braindead -- polearm the dwarves, pincer the heavies, take out the 3 dwarves in the joke wave, then sai stunlock the grad.

It's that damn dog that makes it infuriating.

TnK

For the third wave, LQ-84 does hit the hammer bros. with his weapon. odd.

I have to say though, VR mission 4 for sam is much harder than this.

EDIT OF ANGER: Died vs. the GRAD. I parried and the game sent out an attack. Why does this happen sometimes? I had 171 hit combo vs the GRAD too, lol.

For the first time ever, I am having problems with the camera.

Majukun

You have to get behind him and cut the target on his back in blade mode.

Cutting it not only stops his healing but stuns him for alot of free hits

Not many people figure it out though as it's one of the few times where manual blade mode is useful in the game.

a strong attack does the same,no need for blade mode..at least on normal difficulty

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

EDIT OF ANGER: Died vs. the GRAD. I parried and the game sent out an attack. Why does this happen sometimes? I had 171 hit combo vs the GRAD too, lol.

because the parry system is kinda dumb lol

Just stun lock the grad with dystopia and move on with your life imo. Don't have to fight it straight up.

People always complain about VR#17 and #18 but they were nothing compared to VR#1. That was the one I was stuck on forever and I'm not sure why I had so much trouble with it because I never see anyone else complaining about it :p

TnK

because the parry system is kinda dumb lol

Just stun lock the grad with dystopia and move on with your life imo. Don't have to fight it straight up.

It is dumb. The game does not want to parry the GRAD's attacks. This is the first time I encounter this. I usually beat GRAD's easily in the main campaign without them touching me. Also, the sai does not work vs the GRAD. It just blocks the attack. I only beat the game with the sword btw.

@tryagainlater: Is it THAT bad?

It was bad for me anyway. #18 is grand because you have 10 minutes to do it but 40 seconds for that first one is something I couldn't do. I've never been the best with harsh time limits.

Hypron

It is dumb. The game does not want to parry the GRAD's attacks. This is the first time I encounter this. I usually beat GRAD's easily in the main campaign without them touching me. Also, the sai does not work vs the GRAD. It just blocks the attack.

The Sai works, just don't forget to charge it before using it.

Mupod

I actually beat sam VR4 on my first try. The mastiffs are the only really bad part, once you get to the GRAD you can get nanopaste out of its missiles. As for S-ranking it, never even going to try heh. If I had failed that first time I wouldn't have tried again, it's too damn long.

VR2 gave me a ton of trouble...I watched a video afterward where he just knocks the rocket guys off the side, but I could never get that working when I tried. So I just got really good at the taunt -> dashing light -> charged heavy combo which just about kills the big sword guys, and I timed it so rockets wouldn't be fired at me while I did it. This is basically what I used to beat VR4 as well.

Is there any reliable way to counter Monsoon's stupid attack where he throws shit at you one by one? Sometimes he throws them on opposite sides and it's simply guaranteed death because no one can possibly turn their camera all the way left, cut twice, then turn all the way right in time to get the other one. It's pure luck. Isn't there any other way? I can't find a reliable running pattern.

TnK

Is there any reliable way to counter Monsoon's stupid attack where he throws shit at you one by one? Sometimes he throws them on opposite sides and it's simply guaranteed death because no one can possibly turn their camera all the way left, cut twice, then turn all the way right in time to get the other one. It's pure luck. Isn't there any other way? I can't find a reliable running pattern.

You only need to slice them a single time for it to stop. Even if you barely touch the thing, it counts.

Start from the corner that is on the same side he is on. When the Zandatsu symbol comes up, just run along the wall and follow it as it turns. You should dodge it all every time.

RangerBAD

You ninja run. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoJGhttuwIQ

Sam's VR4 wasn't that hard.
Sam's VR2 was infuriating, but still manageable.

You should just stun lock the grad as you will see...

It is dumb. The game does not want to parry the GRAD's attacks. This is the first time I encounter this. I usually beat GRAD's easily in the main campaign without them touching me. Also, the sai does not work vs the GRAD. It just blocks the attack. I only beat the game with the sword btw.

STUNLOCK.

How do I do that?

Wait to press heavy attack until the sai glows purple. I think it takes ~6 seconds. You should have enough time to get a good 10 hits or so in whil eit recharges and just as it wears off, the sai should be purple again.

Start from the corner that is on the same side he is on. When the Zandatsu symbol comes up, just run along the wall and follow it as it turns. You should dodge it all every time.

This works and is the best way to deal with him if he gets to throw 5 and 6 vehicles, especially when going for no damage.

If you learn the order he throws them in you can rapid slash in the right directions to make sure you hit them all... but it's easier to do as you suggest for the higher counts of projectile vehicles.

Burnburn

I need some help with DL30, I can manage the second wave (the one with the hammer dude and armored guys) by countering an attack and hoping the counter hits an other guy. But the wave with the monkey dudes, I have no idea how to tackle it. Counters don't work and everytime I get even the slightest combo going they do their stupid grab attack.

Also, is there a good way to tackle the spider enemies without RNG? They almost never do their spin attack and instead just use fire against you the entire fucking time. I got one stunned by accident when pushing Y+B together (my hand slipped, I only wanted to press Y, hehe).

Final wave seems really hard, but I only got there once, any tips there too?

Armstrong is really beating my ass on Hard. I just can't get his pattern down yet and, of course, no nanopastes. I'm thinking about redoing the last chapter just to stock up on items / BP.

I've gotten to the part where he throws shit just once.

already purchased the white armor not knowing about the 10 nanopastes

Down on the D-pad? I know how to switch them in the menu, but once I have them selected they become my primary weapon until I put them away in the menu.

Asking how to quick switch. Answer wasn't very helpful.

I think the only way to switch is to go to the menu. That's what the guy does in the video anyway. Menu -> Switch Sai -> Stun -> Menu -> Switch Pincer.

I only watched about 60% of it though. I wish I could figure out how to switch quickly though, seems I need to be COMPLETELY STILL in order to access the menu.

Nymphae

Banned
I really wish games would stop using the god damned "wiggle the stick a million times" to get out of an attack. Figure something else out, it's vague and it's not really great for the sticks. Sometimes it seems to work when I've barely started to move the stick, other times I'm almost breaking my controller moving the analog so fast and it seems to do nothing. So frustrating.

zainetor

Banned
Down on the D-pad? I know how to switch them in the menu, but once I have them selected they become my primary weapon until I put them away in the menu.

what do you mean quick switch?
He switches through menu like everybody else.

Lumine

Yeah, I ended up watching through it to see if it it's true and if I missed something, but nope, he simply opens up the menu to change his secondary weapon.

I can't believe how popular this game is on these boards.. 138+ pages?? Wow.

And this game is hard -- no doubt about it. It's more frustrating than Ninja Gaiden for sure.

Grief.exe

There are so many mechanics at play in that Monsoon fight, that will be a tough one to score a no damage on.

Armstrong is really beating my ass on Hard. I just can't get his pattern down yet and, of course, no nanopastes. I'm thinking about redoing the last chapter just to stock up on items / BP.

I've gotten to the part where he throws shit just once.

already purchased the white armor not knowing about the 10 nanopastes

I think the only way to switch is to go to the menu. That's what the guy does in the video anyway. Menu -> Switch Sai -> Stun -> Menu -> Switch Pincer.

I only watched about 60% of it though. I wish I could figure out how to switch quickly though, seems I need to be COMPLETELY STILL in order to access the menu.

Yeah, I ended up watching through it to see if it it's true and if I missed something, but nope, he simply opens up the menu to change his secondary weapon.

Ok. I had never used secondary weapons before so it looks, from my perspective, that he is using the pincers + normal sword at certain points.
I'm assuming that the pincers only exist as a heavy attack when they are equipped? And he is light attacking when I see the sword used.

I can't believe how popular this game is on these boards.. 138+ pages?? Wow.

And this game is hard -- no doubt about it. It's more frustrating than Ninja Gaiden for sure.

I would take a PC version of Ninja Gaiden Black or Sigma, not sure which version is better.

The only way to switch weapons is to press left or right on the d-pad and then go select the one you want.

Pretty much.
That video isn't the greatest guide to no damage on Monsoon now that I watch it -- he lets monsoon get away with too much health after the stun by sitting there with the charged pincers. I find it's better to run up, stop, Y -> charge Y... the charge Y can be let go as he's jumping up after reclaiming his head and it will hit... you do a lot more damage and don't let him get to cycle 4 of the left hand rule bullshit.

As far as Armstrong goes, you just need to learn how to handle the AoE type attacks and how to dodge the grab moves -- everything else is blockable, pretty much.

Yup.

Ok. I had never used secondary weapons before so it looks, from my perspective, that he is using the pincers + normal sword at certain points.
I'm assuming that the pincers only exist as a heavy attack when they are equipped? And he is light attacking when I see the sword used.

That's how all the those weapons work though.

You never used the side weapons? Oh man, the pole arm does work with crowd control. My standard weapon of choice. So many hits.

Yeah, when you have a side weapon equipped it replaces the Heavy Attack. I actually forgot the sword had heavy attacks until the Armstrong fight.

As far as Armstrong goes, you just need to learn how to handle the AoE type attacks and how to dodge the grab moves -- everything else is blockable, pretty much.

The AoE is my problem. I seem to choose the wrong way to run. I'm trying to parry more and off/def out of the grabs. Getting better, but this one will take a while.

Grief.exe

You never used the side weapons? Oh man, the pole arm does work with crowd control. My standard weapon of choice. So many hits.

Yeah, when you have a side weapon equipped it replaces the Heavy Attack. I actually forgot the sword had heavy attacks until the Armstrong fight.

Sounds good for the Minstral fight.

I really don't like to ninja run around Monsoon. It doesn't feel reliable enough. I found another way that's easier, but still pretty risky.

Normally you learn to appreciate boss fights more as you get better at action games, but I don't really have any respect for Monsoon's design anymore.

I fully realized it when I couldn't do Raiden's version of the "red hot kick" anymore unless I unequipped the sub weapon.

There are so many mechanics at play in that Monsoon fight, that will be a tough one to score a no damage on.

I would take a PC version of Ninja Gaiden Black or Sigma, not sure which version is better.

Most people would say Black is better. I liked SIgma fine.
I'd really like a Ninja Gaiden Black Sigma edition for PC (same with NG2) where you can choose which version of the game you want to play with both being a part of the game.

Monsoon is the toughest of the core bosses to no damage, IMO.
The dodging the RP grenades is key and I forgot that you could stun him out of that piecemeal attack BS he pulls.

I cannot believe you never used a secondary weapon... really? Why would you not?! :lol
Anyway, yes, secondary weapons replace your Y attacks.

I fully realized it when I couldn't do Raiden's version of the "red hot kick" anymore unless I unequipped the sub weapon.

Upwards? Yes. But the other weapons have answers for that. The sai pretty much acts as one in all directions and the polearm has a nasty downward stab that's close to a divekick.

destx

I finished this last night, the Sam and Armstrong fights are so great!

Then after finishing the game I realised that I hadn't upgraded my weapon at all, WHOOPS. Do the strength/absorption/energy HF Blade upgrades make much of a difference?

Anteater

Then after finishing the game I realised that I hadn't upgraded my weapon at all, WHOOPS. Do the strength/absorption/energy HF Blade upgrades make much of a difference?

yeah, they do, things die a lot quicker on a replay on harder difficulties because of the upgrades.

Most people would say Black is better. I liked SIgma fine.
I'd really like a Ninja Gaiden Black Sigma edition for PC (same with NG2) where you can choose which version of the game you want to play with both being a part of the game.

Monsoon is the toughest of the core bosses to no damage, IMO.
The dodging the RP grenades is key and I forgot that you could stun him out of that piecemeal attack BS he pulls.

I cannot believe you never used a secondary weapon... really? Why would you not?! :lol
Anyway, yes, secondary weapons replace your Y attacks.

Upwards? Yes. But the other weapons have answers for that. The sai pretty much acts as one in all directions and the polearm has a nasty downward stab that's close to a divekick.

I use the polearm one actually its just I liked the red hot kick and was wondering why I couldn't do it anymore (last time I used it was from the PS3 demo).

yeah, they do, things die a lot quicker on a replay on harder difficulties because of the upgrades.

Got balls of steel?
Play Revengeance mode from the start with no upgrades. :lol
It'd be like playing VR 18, but for a whole game. ;)

--

I've really grown to like the Pincer blades the best -- not only does it give you a real damage option, but the possibility of using charge moves to reduce damage and get super armor adds another set of mechanics to the gameplay for me. At first I thought they were too slow... but now they're my default/go-to.

TnK

Sam's VR4 wasn't that hard.
Sam's VR2 was infuriating, but still manageable.

You should just stun lock the grad as you will see...

STUNLOCK.

Wait to press heavy attack until the sai glows purple. I think it takes ~6 seconds. You should have enough time to get a good 10 hits or so in whil eit recharges and just as it wears off, the sai should be purple again.

After taking a break I took everyone's advice and I did the stunlock. Results:
vr18sdzeg.png

Not the best time, because the hammer bros. were a bit of a pain.

After taking a break I took everyone's advice and I did the stunlock. Results:

Not the best time, because the hammer bros. were a bit of a pain.

Yeah, they can be annoying, but they're not bad once you get rid of the other issues.
Last time I completed it, one was all but dead from a hot knife... so I took a shot with a charge Y on pincers... it cut that one in half and killed a chunk of the dwarves. Switched to polearm to finish off the dwarves before going back to the pincers to destroy the other heavy. Doesn't matter as long as you finished and got that gold though.

Congrats. :)

Uuuuuuugh, I told myself not to buy another Japanese PC port, but yet here I am....

Why is it when I try to switch to full-screen mode in 1080 my screen goes black? I'm assuming this has been answered, but nothing in the OP.

Going through the tutorial - is there any way for this game to recognize that I'm using a controller (360)? All prompts are still in mouse/keyboard, making shit really confusing.

There doesn't seem to be any way to map controller face-buttons in the options either, nor does it tell me what they do.

Also, is my guy always supposed to be constantly ninja-running? The controls say to hold down RT for the ninja run, but doing so makes no difference in my movement. Raiden is always running full bore and jumping over shit just by using the left stick.

Gracias.

Uuuuuuugh, I told myself not to buy another Japanese PC port, but yet here I am....

Why is it when I try to switch to full-screen mode in 1080 my screen goes black? I'm assuming this has been answered, but nothing in the OP.

Fullscreen mode is fubar'd. Go into Windowed mode and play that way.

Going through the tutorial - is there any way for this game to recognize that I'm using a controller (360)? All prompts are still in mouse/keyboard, making shit really confusing.

There doesn't seem to be any way to map controller face-buttons in the options either, nor does it tell me what they do.

Also, is my guy always supposed to be constantly ninja-running? The controls say to hold down RT for the ninja run, but doing so makes no difference in my movement. Raiden is always running full bore and jumping over shit just by using the left stick.

Gracias.

IIRC it should change automatically when once it detects a directinput controller if not then connect the controller before starting the game to see if it changes then.

As for the second point the ninja run is context sensitive so it should only work once the button is held down

You need to check your controller for both issues (try removing then reconnecting the cable is wired or resync if wireless)

It should do it automatically simply by pressing any button on it, so there's definitely something wrong; speaking of which:

Obviously this is not what should be happening either. Perhaps ninja run is bound to a key/mouse button that is constantly held for some reason? This would account for both issues.

Momentary

Banned
What is the very last song at beyond the credits
where they should Raiden in his business suit.
I need this for my RL theme song.

Actually it's the part where
where Sunny is delivering her monologue

Gives me like a Robocop 1 badass song feel. Wish it was fleshed out into a full length song.

Top Bottom