• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Fullscreen mode is fubar'd. Go into Windowed mode and play that way.

Works fine for me... I just wish I could use my custom resolution and not 1920x1080.

What is the very last song at beyond the credits
where they should Raiden in his business suit.
I need this for my RL theme song.

Actually it's the part where
where sunny is delivering her monologue

Gives me like a Robocop 1 badass song feel. Which it was fleshed out into a full length song.

I don't think it's on the soundtrack -- the credits song itself is "The war still rages within".

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sam VR Mission 4. Oh lord. As soon as I get to the three Mastiff's, I lose the plot completely. The canon fodder enemies I can eat for lunch and dinner. But as soon as I hit these enemies or the Bladewolf clones, I'm completely lost on trying to charge attack them.

diemfut7.png
Die you piece of shi-wait

WUT

one more time

There we go

Storm has been brought

Sam VR Mission 4. Oh lord. As soon as I get to the three Mastiff's, I lose the plot completely. The canon fodder enemies I can eat for lunch and dinner. But as soon as I hit these enemies or the Bladewolf clones, I'm completely lost on trying to charge attack them.
Just run around until they do the wall leap attack or the drop kick and parry. Sam's speed and double jump lets you avoid attacks easily.

Die you piece of shi-wait

WUT

one more time

There we go

Storm has been brought
Same thing happened to me, I didn't mind too much because Armstrong is so fun to fight. Monsoon though... I got an A after an hour and would have had to redo not only Monsoon but a few other stupid R03 fights (specifically the one just before him...), but luckily when I reloaded from checkpoint a few more slashes on the execution QTE gave me an S.

Jintor

Is there any reliable way to counter Monsoon's stupid attack where he throws shit at you one by one? Sometimes he throws them on opposite sides and it's simply guaranteed death because no one can possibly turn their camera all the way left, cut twice, then turn all the way right in time to get the other one. It's pure luck. Isn't there any other way? I can't find a reliable running pattern.

Let me tell you a secret.

Use the x button to slash horizontally and the y button to slash vertically. Slash the first three things horizontally and everything else vertically while barely adjusting the camera. Spam those buttons.

Works every time as long as you keep an eye on the order he throws shit at you.

TnK

Uuuuuuugh, I told myself not to buy another Japanese PC port, but yet here I am....

Why is it when I try to switch to full-screen mode in 1080 my screen goes black? I'm assuming this has been answered, but nothing in the OP.

First time I hear this. Like they said, try going to windowed mode first, put 1080p, then go fullscreen.

This is a decent port btw, nowhere near how bad DaS is.

I got the no damage achievements for:
1- Mistral.
2- Sundowner.
3- Armstrong.

Monsoon is probably the hardest, and Sam is also really hard. more fun then Monsoon though.

First time I hear this. Like they said, try going to windowed mode first, put 1080p, then go fullscreen.

This is a decent port btw, nowhere near how bad DaS is.

I got the no damage achievements for:
1- Mistral.
2- Sundowner.
3- Armstrong.

Monsoon is probably the hardest, and Sam is also really hard. more fun then Monsoon though.

Sam isn't that bad. I think just about everyone of his attacks is blockable.
If you do it on Revengeance it can be done in under 30 seconds. Especially if you don't care about s-rank.

Monsoon though? He's a flaming jerkbag. You need to take every advantage you can on him and abuse the pincer blades and sai as much as possible to avoid situations where you'll be in a block string and he throws the RP grenade and causes 2% damage to you. Also, those left hand rule vehicle throwing segments get out of control if you let him do them enough (to the point where running is safer than cutting)...

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Let me tell you a secret.

Use the x button to slash horizontally and the y button to slash vertically. Slash the first three things horizontally and everything else vertically while barely adjusting the camera. Spam those buttons.

Works every time as long as you keep an eye on the order he throws shit at you.
I don't even bother with blade mode on that part of Monsoon's fight anymore.

I've found using Defensive Offence to sidestep the debris is way quicker, and somehow more reliable.

TnK

Sam isn't that bad. I think just about everyone of his attacks is blockable.
If you do it on Revengeance it can be done in under 30 seconds. Especially if you don't care about s-rank.

Monsoon though? He's a flaming jerkbag. You need to take every advantage you can on him and abuse the pincer blades and sai as much as possible to avoid situations where you'll be in a block string and he throws the RP grenade and causes 2% damage to you. Also, those left hand rule vehicle throwing segments get out of control if you let him do them enough (to the point where running is safer than cutting)...
Forgot that Sam is only one battle. I'll try it on Revengeance. Thanks.

Forgot that Sam is only one battle. I'll try it on Revengeance. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BagfYOZJQfk

Now I'm tempted to go do it myself and knock out the s-rank for chapter R00 and R06 quickly on Revengeance.

I was talking about that 25 second orchestral piece when Sunny says that he's a hero.

Yeah, I watched the ending and found it -- but it's not on the soundtrack.

offensive defence right through them

Ninja run.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You can also parry the one that hits you dead on, but most of them are actually targeted to explode around you
Yeah, but parry activation on that part is kinda fickle.

Defensive Offence is preferable because the i-frames will safely cover your ass from nearby explosions. You also won't be missing out on free nanopaste/EM grenades, since the sideways-dodge move will also slice open Monsoon's debris, just like blade mode. Very convenient.

Yeah, but parry activation on that part is kinda fickle.

Defensive Offence is preferable because the i-frames will safely cover your ass from nearby explosions. You also won't be missing out on free nanopaste/EM grenades, since the sideways-dodge move will also slice open Monsoon's debris, just like blade mode. Very convenient.

Hmmm, is there any video where someone does this? I'd like to see the application of your strategy here, since I'm going to have to s-rank him on Revengeance at some point.

Can't ninja run past the double blades, sucka! Don't think you have the clearance to jump 'em either

As the post above you and the post below me notes, if you ninja run at the double blades, Raiden dives right through them.

DieH@rd

Banned
Man, who did the translation on this? Just got past a sewer cinematic.. lmao

This might be my favorite game ever based on that scene.

http://8-4.jp/blog/?lang=en

438.jpg

They host phenomenal podcast about gaming in Japan. Translators were also fully aware of western view of MGS franchise and crazy memes when they localized Rising. They also have close ties to Kojima, they did that famous Transfarring video. Just you wait, there will be more crazyness. :D

Uraizen

Banned
Yeah I do this all the time.

I swear you're the one who taught me that back when we were playing on PS3...

I always used offensive defense for everything he throws at me. I can just run between them? I assumed since it's an attack I would get hit!

Well I'll be damned, I had no clue. Someone needs to tell that guy just to zandatsu a gekko or two for an S rank, damn.

It starts in windowed mode - so I have no choice there. I can go to full screen when it's not in 1080, but then right when I toggle it to 1080 the entire screen goes black. Alternately, if I'm in 1080, right when I toggle full screen it goes black. It doesn't like the two together. AKA the native resolution of just about every tv sold today.

I'll try the controller 'reboot'. It's a wireless using the Logitech IR dongle.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
lol just got to VR mission 18.

I'm not even angry, this is kind of hilariously difficult.

In terms of VR mission difficulty I would rank them

Raiden (MGR:R)
MGS1 Snake (MGS2)
Solid Snake (MGS)
Tuxedo Snake (MGS2)
Pliskin (MGS2)
Snake (MGS2)
Ninja Raiden (MGS2)
Raiden (MGS2)
X Raiden (MGS2)

Neiteio

http://8-4.jp/blog/?lang=en

438.jpg

They host phenomenal podcast about gaming in Japan. Translators were also fully aware of western view of MGS franchise and crazy memes when they localized Rising. They also have close ties to Kojima, they did that famous Transfarring video. Just you wait, there will be more crazyness. :D
8-4 also did the excellent localization for Fire Emblem Awakening. And their fearless leader is former Electronic Gaming Monthly editor John Ricciardi, who is also a moderator here on GAF (I believe his handle is John TV?).

Grief.exe

On the Excelsus fight with no nano paste :(((
I had 1 for it, was pretty tough. I never worked out how to dodge some attacks like the double sword sweep thing,

Defensive Offensive has invincibility frames, so use that to dodge attacks like that. You can also parry them quite easily, but you take some damage from that.

Did not know about the Ninja Run technique, that is pretty cool.

Catalix

Hmmm, is there any video where someone does this? I'd like to see the application of your strategy here, since I'm going to have to s-rank him on Revengeance at some point.
I'm looking everywhere for a video but coming up empty handed. Sorry, man :/ Surprised this method isn't used more often. But if you're confident with your dodging skills, give it a shot. It's super efficient, but kinda risky since it's all about timing.

When Monsoon starts to throw the vehicles at you, just stand in the middle of the arena facing him. Right when the first one is about to hit you, sideways dodge to the right. You'll slightly strafe around the debris while simultaneously cutting it open. It will drop the free item right next to you. If another piece is headed your way, dodge to the left. Rinse and repeat.

It's easy once you realize that all the debris is not directly locked onto you, at most only 2 or 3. The other pieces can be avoided by casually walking forward. Dodge away from additional nearby explosions if necessary, the i-frames will protect you.

I always used offensive defense for everything he throws at me. I can just run between them? I assumed since it's an attack I would get hit!
I figured it out because it was similar to the IR laser sensors from Chapter-01.

um8GM2B.jpg

Ninja running let you hop straight through the gaps there too.

RangerBAD

Down on the D-pad? I know how to switch them in the menu, but once I have them selected they become my primary weapon until I put them away in the menu.

Asking how to quick switch. Answer wasn't very helpful.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure on the answer. It's been a while. I really wasn't aware of any quick switching.

Uraizen

Banned
I figured it out because it was similar to the IR laser sensors from Chapter-01.

http://i.imgur.com/um8GM2B.jpg?1[IMG]

Ninja running let you hop straight through the gaps there too.[/QUOTE]

But those only trigger alarms, not try to swipe you to death with its massive arms.

I'm looking everywhere for a video but coming up empty handed. Sorry, man :/ Surprised this method isn't used more often. But if you're confident with your dodging skills, give it a shot. It's super efficient, but kinda risky since it's all about timing.

When Monsoon starts to throw the vehicles at you, just stand in the middle of the arena facing him. Right when the first one is about to hit you, sideways dodge to the right. You'll slightly strafe around the debris while simultaneously cutting it open. It will drop the free item right next to you. If another piece is headed your way, dodge to the left. Rinse and repeat.

It's easy once you realize that all the debris is not directly locked onto you, at most only 2 or 3. The other pieces can be avoided by casually walking forward. Dodge away from additional nearby explosions if necessary, the i-frames will protect you.

The second set of vehicles per sequence can also be avoided by dodging backwards (neutral) while facing away from Monsoon. It needs to be done just before the first vehicle hits you, but once you get it you can just stand still until they're all gone.

Catalix

The second set of vehicles per sequence can also be avoided by dodging backwards (neutral) while facing away from Monsoon. It needs to be done just before the first vehicle hits you, but once you get it you can just stand still until they're all gone.
lol that's awesome. Way better technique IMO.

Try it out, guys. It's simplifies everything. Just gotta time that first dodge correctly.

I wonder if 8-4 has anything to do with Ground Zeroes and MGSV. They're always talking about their secret projects on the podcast, and after Revengeance I'd love to see them be the go-to guys for all Metal Gear localisations. This game's dialogue is so great, and the character interactions flow so easily. It's honestly the complete opposite of MGS4, where it was like all the characters were trying their best to be emotionless robots who only learned about human speech from books. That anime thing where one person interrupts another by saying their name and then doesn't say anything else? MGS4 is That: The Official Game.

What an awesome game with a special shitty finalboss!!

I've been playing on hard the whole game with no problem, but when i finally arrive on the last boss, i'm dying over and over again, because of the horrible QTE!

What do i have to do?

I get him to 0,1% of his life, and i believe i'm suposed to be hit by his last punch. I have to smash my analog stick to free myself, and then i reach the sword, he comes to punch my face, the japanese word appears and then WHAT!??

All the game i was trained to see some japanese word and go to blade mode, but now it doesnt do anything! The only time something appears, is BEFORE this sequence (while he is running towards me), but it is so freaking fast that i dont even have enough time to align my sword!!

I googled it, but everytime people kill this boss, is in the last sequence, when you are on the floor and grab the sword, not before this QTE.

Uraizen

Banned

I've been playing on hard the whole game with no problem, but when i finally arrive on the last boss, i'm dying over and over again, because of the horrible QTE!

What do i have to do?

I get him to 0,1% of his life, and i believe i'm suposed to be hit by his last punch. I have to smash my analog stick to free myself, and then i reach the sword, he comes to punch my face, the japanese word appears and then WHAT!??

All the game i was trained to see some japanese word and go to blade mode, but now it doesnt do anything! The only time something appears, is BEFORE this sequence (while he is running towards me), but it is so freaking fast that i dont even have enough time to align my sword!!

I googled it, but everytime people kill this boss, is in the last sequence, when you are on the floor and grab the sword, not before this QTE.

You can't go into blade mode? In other words, the part after he grabs the sword in this video doesn't work properly?

http://youtu.be/dNFo_SEWDWo?t=13m45s

What do i have to do?

What framerate are you getting?
If it's below 30, that's your problem.

No! o_O

I will try to record the video.
It isnt a controller problem since I go to blade mode normally, when i need to stop him from recovering his health.

And I had the "energy" to use it. I even tried whith full energy, but nothing :(

Can't complete quick time events • Link
Quick time events (QTEs) and some other game elements are affected by the frame rate; low FPS means less time (or no time at all) to finish a QTE before it fails.[6]
Information Lowering in-game settings to get the frame rate as close to 60 FPS as possible is reported to work; use Fraps or similar to measure the current frame rate.
Information Players have also reported some success with holding down the Blade Mode key just before a quick time event requiring it is meant to appear.[7]

Uraizen

Banned
Can't complete quick time events • Link
Quick time events (QTEs) and some other game elements are affected by the frame rate; low FPS means less time (or no time at all) to finish a QTE before it fails.[6]
Information Lowering in-game settings to get the frame rate as close to 60 FPS as possible is reported to work; use Fraps or similar to measure the current frame rate.
Information Players have also reported some success with holding down the Blade Mode key just before a quick time event requiring it is meant to appear.[7]

That is such a weird bug. Thank God these things are being passed on to the devs.

Top Bottom