• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

2San

It is some of the textures like on Raiden, Ray, and The Winds of Destruction are pretty bad. Cuttable environmental stuff like cars and such aren't really pretty either along with some of the enemies like the unmanned chopper.
The game is good but I can't say the textures are great from my experience with it on the PS3 or PC, so a nice texture pack will do wonders! I'm mostly looking forward to someone fixing the low res textures on Raiden's more obvious mechanical parts.
I agree, the textures are terrible in some place (bad overall), but that never detracted from the experience imo.
Imagine how the camera would work during wall runs lol
I think navigating the camera is part of that patented Japanese action game challenge. ;)

Block and Dodge are locked away behind a menu in W101 as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEb19dBGzc&t=04m30s

I always find that to be a curious decision on Platinum's part. Block and Dodge were unlocked in the demo for TW101 so they're clearly seen as essential tools for the player to have, yet they hide them behind the Wonder Mart in the full game.

Same with Rising and the dodge move. I didn't even unlock it during my first play-through as I focused on upgrading my energy tanks and sword . It's a miracle I even completed the game.

seriously, that would be unplayable.

A fixed camera that isn't hindered by auto-correct or being unable to clip through ceilings would make that feasible. Even if the default camera during a wall-run were terrible, a mods could change it for the better down the line.

Wall-run would be worth the trouble for most. Wall-run into aerial stealth kill would be worth it for everyone

Grief.exe

I always find that to be a curious decision on Platinum's part. Block and Dodge were unlocked in the demo for TW101 so they're clearly seen as essential tools for the player to have, yet they hide them behind the Wonder Mart in the full game.

Same with Rising and the dodge move. I didn't even unlock it during my first play-through as I focused on upgrading my energy tanks and sword . It's a miracle I even completed the game.

I respect that Platinum's design doesn't question my intelligence or my ability for rational thought.

It understands that as a person I am capable of reading and figuring things out for myself.

The problem is, Platinum has to realize that we share this hobby with some of the dumbest people on the planet. Source: Steam forums, youtube comments, Twitter, reddit, even GAF.

They have to account for that and place some of those options that are necessary in a tutorial.

That Monsoon fight:

MI0Y9OR.gif

He was the first boss I died on in hard mode and I stopped playing immediately after the defeat. His attacks are confusing enough to parry on their own given I'm not all that used to parrying full strings and then he pulls that shit. He just left me feeling stupid and confused.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
finally finished the game on hard. fucking
Armstrong.
that throw move he does made me died like 20 times. I tried to run away but it only worked one time out of ten, also I tried to cut those blocks but for some fucking reason, if I managed to cut all three of them, in the last part where you cut his head the camera goes to fuckland (moves away from the target) and obviously I miss. the rest of his moves aren't really hard to avoid or parry, after 20-30 tries I guess I got good at that.
other bosses are just so easy compared to him.

The problem is that he's a tank and you do shit damage so it just takes forever to whittle him down plus the qte's/throwing tanks at you just drags things out even more. Shittiest boss in the game, the only shitty one in fact, where its not skill per se that gets you over but just the perserverance to not fuck up even a little since he does so much damage. There is definite skill needed in avoidance and parrying of course but my point still stands. I can perfect/no-damage him for a good long while but eventually I will get caught in some nonsense, whether its camera related or being super far away at the instant he self-heals due to the QTE sequence where you lose your sword. I've done my run on Hard without any issues until now. Garbage boss is garbage.

I respect that Platinum's design doesn't question my intelligence or my ability for rational thought.

It understands that as a person I am capable of reading and figuring things out for myself.

The problem is, Platinum has to realize that we share this hobby with some of the dumbest people on the planet. Source: Steam forums, youtube comments, Twitter, reddit, even GAF.

They have to account for that and place some of those options that are necessary in a tutorial.

Whether having a move be optional is ridiculous depends on how central the move in question is to having fun. I had a friend who didn't get the grapnel boost in Batman Arkham City which made traversal considerably slower and more obtuse. To get that upgrade though, you had to do a series of completely optional side challenges that gave no indication you'd receive such a handy upgrade.

It's been a while since I've played through MGR from the beginning without upgrades, but I only knew how handy defensive offensive was from playing the demo. If you just want to play through the game and you prioritize health/fuel cells over new moves, then you can miss it. If something is central or necessary for having a game be fun to play, then it's fair to question the logic behind devs making it optional or skippable, even when the player is paying attention to the game. If there's seemingly no good reason to do that, then it's fair to hold that against the developers.

I respect that PG hold a lot of things behind the in game shop, but the basics like dodging and/or blocking? Nah, nope, I don't think it can be justified.
The experienced/hardcore players don't get any benefit from having to buy the dodge move, it just sours the experience for many of the inexperienced/new players.

It should have been unlocked from the start and quickly taught to the player in the skip-able tutorial along with the parry move. That would have been much simpler for new players and overall a lot less obtuse.

Grief.exe

Whether having a move be optional is ridiculous depends on how central the move in question is to having fun. I had a friend who didn't get the grapnel boost in Batman Arkham City which made traversal considerably slower and more obtuse. To get that upgrade though, you had to do a series of completely optional side challenges that gave no indication you'd receive such a handy upgrade.

It's been a while since I've played through MGR from the beginning without upgrades, but I only knew how handy defensive offensive was from playing the demo. If you just want to play through the game and you prioritize health/fuel cells over new moves, then you can miss it. If something is central or necessary for having a game be fun to play, then it's fair to question the logic behind devs making it optional or skippable, even when the player is paying attention to the game. If there's seemingly no good reason to do that, then it's fair to hold that against the developers.

I respect that PG hold a lot of things behind the in game shop, but the basics like dodging and/or blocking? Nah, nope, I don't think it can be justified.
The experienced/hardcore players don't get any benefit from having to buy the dodge move, it just sours the experience for many of the inexperienced/new players.

It should have been unlocked from the start and quickly taught to the player in the skip-able tutorial along with the parry move. That would have been much simpler for new players and overall a lot less obtuse.

Hm

I don't think you guys read my whole statement there as I agreed with you entirely in the end.

Maybe I should have been more clear, but my initial point was respecting intelligence so that would be ironic.
Maybe I should have included that in the beginning, but that wouldn't respect the conclusion and throw the whole argument in the middle out of whack.

My general point was to make those options that are necessary to the gameplay, see: Dodge, in a tutorial and available from the beginning. Placing important things like that in a menu will just alienate too many people.

Hm

I don't think you guys read my whole statement there as I agreed with you entirely in the end.

Maybe I should have been more clear, but my initial point was respecting intelligence so that would be ironic.
Maybe I should have included that in the beginning, but that wouldn't respect the conclusion and throw the whole argument in the middle out of whack.

My general point was to make those options that are necessary to the gameplay, see: Dodge, in a tutorial and available from the beginning. Placing important things like that in a menu will just alienate too many people.

Yeah sorry about that, bro. I'm too used to posting Gamefaqs and /v/.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I almost think that the logic behind putting Defensive Offense in the shop was to show players that the option exists without a tutorial. That's why it's so cheap. Naturally, players would notice it and buy that first, even if they're the type of player to never look in the movelist. As a bonus, they'd be forced to learn how to parry throughout the prologue and beginning of the first chapter. You don't really encounter enemies that grab a lot until Chapter 2.

In reality, it doesn't really work out that way.

It's kind of the same logic behind DMC locking away the Enemy Step skill.

demidar

They should've made an enemy whose only attack is a grab, forcing the player to learn how to dodge (implies dodge is possessed from the very beginning), similar to Wolfy forcing players how to learn to parry.

I wasn't disagreeing with you about whether important moves should be optional. It sounds like you're saying the people who miss that stuff are stupid, which indirectly says accommodating for the possibility people might miss that stuff is merely accommodating stupid people. At worst, it's accommodating people who care more about their games on average.

Finalow

A fixed camera that isn't hindered by auto-correct or being unable to clip through ceilings would make that feasible. Even if the default camera during a wall-run were terrible, a mods could change it for the better down the line.
.. well duh, a lot of things could be feasible, I was just visualizing the wall run with the current camera. as the user I quoted wrote, the reaction would be something like "lol".
wall run would have been amazing indeed but I guess they had their reasons if they didn't implement it.

.. well duh, a lot of things could be feasible, I was just visualizing the wall run with the current camera. as the user I quoted wrote, the reaction would be something like "lol".
wall run would have been amazing indeed but I guess they had their reasons if they didn't implement it.

well duh

2San

I found it straight away, however putting such an important ability is still a mindbogglingly bad design decision imo. Even if everyone would know you could unlock it, It serves no purpose to hide it. I'm really curious what the thought process is behind it.

Regiruler

They should've made an enemy whose only attack is a grab, forcing the player to learn how to dodge (implies dodge is possessed from the very beginning), similar to Wolfy forcing players how to learn to parry.

The Armstrong fight for Jetstream required it, but that's a bit different.

Anyway, unite spring and guts are considerably more important than offensive defensive, IMO. If you time it right, you can dodge most offensive defensive stuff with ninja run and jumping. Much harder in W101 since you're fairly slow.

The game doesn't force you to buy the dodge, so that would be pretty broken. And Mastiffs grab nearly every other attack anyway.

McNum

... wow. Revengeance is no joke.

Chapter 1 down. Mistral hits like a supersonic truck on Revengeance. And getting a perfect parry counter on her is hard due to her reach. Blade Wolf on the other hand can be countered. And that counter did... 40% damage?! From 80-ish to 40%-ish. It skipped the Gekko summoning entirely.

Well, chapter 2 is going to be fun. the sewer spiders, the Grad, the Raptors... A ton of Mastiffs. I'm definitely bringing the Armor Breaker and I won't feel bad about it at all. It's not overkill on this difficulty.

So, am I completely off-base if I say that on Revengeance, you might as well look at Nanopastes as HP? Take a hit, down one Nanopaste. Get hit by a combo, die.

zainetor

Banned
... wow. Revengeance is no joke.

Chapter 1 down. Mistral hits like a supersonic truck on Revengeance. And getting a perfect parry counter on her is hard due to her reach. Blade Wolf on the other hand can be countered. And that counter did... 40% damage?! From 80-ish to 40%-ish. It skipped the Gekko summoning entirely.

Well, chapter 2 is going to be fun. the sewer spiders, the Grad, the Raptors... A ton of Mastiffs. I'm definitely bringing the Armor Breaker and I won't feel bad about it at all. It's not overkill on this difficulty.

So, am I completely off-base if I say that on Revengeance, you might as well look at Nanopastes as HP? Take a hit, down one Nanopaste. Get hit by a combo, die.

Trick about mistral in revengeance, is countering when she throws you dwarf gekko, after you break her staff.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Last boss is really pissing me off, if I don't beat him soon it's gonna kill the whole experience!

Use Offensive Defense liberally.

Cutting the debris gets you nanopaste drops. You can save after getting the nanopaste so that you'll have those if you die and restart.

You can avoid the debris by simply ninja running forward.

Last boss is really pissing me off, if I don't beat him soon it's gonna kill the whole experience!

It's dumb. I don't like that fight at all. If you can get him to trigger quicktime events (which are still difficult and the button presses change every time), you can do huge damage easily. And you can sprint under the debris he throws.

A Revengeance counter against Blade Wolf does like, 80%. Against Mistral all you need to do is cut her arms off, then chase after her and parry the dwarf gekko she throws. Instantly triggers the end of whichever phase. Revengeance doesn't get mean until the boss of R-02.

McNum

Trick about mistral in revengeance, is countering when she throws you dwarf gekko, after you break her staff.
Ah, of course. Get into her face, make her throw, counter and boom, next phase of the battle.

I'm actually thinking the Grad won't be that bad. Just have to get it/them to do that slow melee attack and counter it. Should take out the non-boss one in one hit and severely damage the boss.

I wonder if Monsoon is going to be really hard or really simple on Revengeance. Lots and lots of parries mean lots and lots of chances to counter. Actually, I'm wondering what the hardest boss is going to be... Armstrong? I'd imagine he's more or less the same as on Very Hard: Don't get hit.

epmode

Anyone heard anything about another patch to fix the resolution problems?

I'm still waiting on this. I don't think there has been any word from Platinum other than the fact that our concerns were forwarded to the developers. Let's pitch in to ship a 1600p monitor to Japan so they figure it out faster!

Ah, of course. Get into her face, make her throw, counter and boom, next phase of the battle.

I'm actually thinking the Grad won't be that bad. Just have to get it/them to do that slow melee attack and counter it. Should take out the non-boss one in one hit and severely damage the boss.

They both kill you instantly with unblockable shots.
Hehehehehe.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The parry only does around 40%, so not fast enough.

You can always cheese the non-boss with Armor Breaker or FOX Blade. It's such a cheap fight with all of the exploding shit and random factors.

I'm pretty sure you can force it to do another slow attack afterwards. Coupled with the QTE's it takes the first GRAD down really fast. I can't remember. It's been a while since I S'd that one.

McNum

They both kill you instantly with unblockable shots.
Hehehehehe.
Well, I got the fully powered Armor Breaker. Also,
Unblockable shots?
Since when did they have that?

I'm going to say this, I am not afraid to bring out the cheese for Revengeance. If I have to. I mean, using the Armor Breaker as my usual weapon for anything that's not a boss fight, is already a mild factor of cheese. Next on the cheese-list is getting the White Armor. 10 Nanopastes. Then the Blade Mode Wig, if all else fails.

They fire those two tank shells at you. It kills you instantly on Revengeance.

The difficulty is kind of a let down. It just takes Very Hard and massively buffs the damage for enemies and for the counter attack.

This game looks alot better with that low quality grain filter removed and SGSSAA (downsampling not working yet?)

Now all we need is that texture pack :)

Dizzy-4U

Well shit, it goes down to 24hz when I go full-screen. Any borderless windowed mod out there?

Also, is there any SLI profile that works?

edit: Alright, borderless windowed fixed. Still looking for a sli profile.

zainetor

Banned
The parry only does around 40%, so not fast enough.

You can always cheese the non-boss with Armor Breaker or FOX Blade. It's such a cheap fight with all of the exploding shit and random factors.
Parry +ripper mode does a little more.
Stun the boss grand and then go and kill the normal one with ripper mode activated.
You dont want two grads roaming around, that can instKill you.

TnK

Good work, but do you honestly think the game needs it? For Crysis 2 it was much more appreciated since that experience was very visually driven and you could improve the performance and the visuals. It's your life though.
Yes, this game really needs a texture mod. A good amount of textures in this game have a "psx" like look to them, all pixilated and all.

Did anyone watch the neo contra vids I posted in this page that shows the MGRR references?

Guess Who

Banned
I thought I remembered being assured that the super boring slowwwww walking & talking scenes were present only in the demo not the full game but nopes still here in full force.

Unlike the demo, you can hold Y in the full game to skip through the dialogue (once any loading the game is doing in the background is complete).

Top Bottom