• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Valnen

Beat the game last night.
Armstrong fight took me forever because I didn't know you could interrupt the heal. Luckily he seems to heal up less health every time he uses it, but holy shit did it take forever. Made the fight epic though.

Permanently A

How do I get into the room on the right after you get off the freight elevator (right after beating two mastiffs)? The room seems to have an MIB in it.

TGMIII

How do I get into the room on the right after you get off the freight elevator (right after beating two mastiffs)? The room seems to have an MIB in it.

There will be 3 containers in the corner of the room, jump on top of those and use ninja run to slide through the gap

Sanctuary

I can't even get this game to run at 1080p fullscreen. All of the other resolutions work, but when I actually try to play the native resolution of my television the screen just fucking goes black...forever.

Regiruler

IT'S NOT EVEN WATER SURFACE HOW THE FUCK ARE THERE STRIDERS.

I DON'T GIVE A SHIT IF IT'S VR THAT ISN'T POSSIBLE ARGG

Also, fuck mastiffs.

Carm

I can't even get this game to run at 1080p fullscreen. All of the other resolutions work, but when I actually try to play the native resolution of my television the screen just fucking goes black...forever.

Yeah same for me. Its a known problem.

Try this, has worked for some of us. Windowed Borderless Gaming

If it works, just don't alt tab out of the game, screws up positioning for me. Steam Overlay is cut off a little at the bottom but game is correct unless you alt tab out and back in, then it too gets cut off at the bottom.

Edit: Some have used the method in TatteredHats post, unfortunately at least for me, that screws up the brightness/gamma making everything much darker/blurrier.

From what I read, some people got around this by adding a custom resolution of like 1919 x 1079 and runing with that instead.

Blinck

I started skipping the cut scenes about half way through the game. So boring and soooooo stupid.

Game play is great.

Give it a chance man, I was thinking of doing the same but then it clicked..

Metal Gear Rising, or "How I Learned to Stop Taking a Videogame Story Seriously and Love the Cheese"

antitrop

Give it a chance man, I was thinking of doing the same but then it clicked..

Metal Gear Rising, or "How I Learned to Stop Taking a Videogame Story Seriously and Love the Cheese"

Funny thing is, I absolutely hate the cutscenes in Bayonetta and Vanquish, I find them extraordinarily boring, but I absolutely love Rising's cinematics.

I have finally bought this game and played it for the first time yesterday, and I just beat it today.

The game is spectacular. Combat is superb, as per the Platinum standard. I thought the music was good, the characters I thought were really cool, and the story was good...I suppose. I never played Metal Gear Solid 4, so I wasn't really invested in anything that was going on in relation to what had gone on previously in Metal Gear Solid games. All I cared about was fighting awesome boss fights that were also really tough. This game gave me that in spades; the boss fights are definitely my favorite part of this game.

Now I will have to do some playthroughs using nothing but the sub-weapons. I went my entire first playthrough using none of the sub-weapons, but now I will have to do playthroughts exclusively using particular sub-weapons to see how the difficulty increases.

The game's fantastic, and I am very glad I bought it.

Permanently A

man the camera for the monsoon
body double
fight is kinda shitty, he jumps around and parrying is based on the camera so it gets annoying

Blinck

Funny thing is, I absolutely hate the cutscenes in Bayonetta and Vanquish, I find them extraordinarily boring, but I absolutely love Rising's cinematics.

Putting all the cheese and dialogue a side, the cutscenes are actually very well directed in Rising, from an over-the-top action perspective. They are actually really cool and well made!

Bayonetta had those stupid fucking slideshows but the actual cutscenes were pretty fun.
Vanquish had some amazing ARS Suit action in some cutscenes but other than that they were pretty awful as well.

The cutscenes in MGR definitely are the best they've done so far and for the most part they are wildly entertaining.

I stick by my story. Metal Gear Rising is, BY FAR, Platinum's worst game.

Mad World is really really boring though.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Putting all the cheese and dialogue a side, the cutscenes are actually very well directed in Rising, from an over-the-top action perspective. They are actually really cool and well made!

The reason probably is that the cutscenes were made by KojiPro, P* focused on the gameplay.

Parfait

25VHiQ9.jpg

ok, this port really good
I've finally out speed sun downer

sorry for the phone picture , after i took it i remember i have capture button

http://youtu.be/WSMBxuMCBkI

I had a fun glitch too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I certainly think Rising is probably the most problematic and rushed of Platinum's games, though falls somewhere in the weird sludge that includes Max Anarchy and Mad World. But "worst Platinum game" is hard to complain about when "worst" still results in a game that I enjoy the shit out of.

And like all Platinum games, especially like The Wonderful 101, I kinda gotta put a filter on people complaining and in the same breath making it clear they're just not very good at a certain mechanic or game system that despite having a bit of a learning curve or requiring some investment is still perfectly functional, responsive, and useful.

I get that some people have a rough time with parrying and zantadsu. But if you do them right they both work 99% of the time and are well integrated into the gameplay formula. If I can die only once on the final boss fight on hard during this playthrough, with clear feedback of what does/does not work and how to best apply my skills and abilities, the mechanics aren't busted.

Spookie

Was this before or after you realized you are cutting in half gigantic hulking mechs of doom?

That's the bit I like, if I could have a game with 100% of that I'd buy two copies.

It wears its sheer goofiness on its sleeve. How can you not tell? :p

I can never tell with Kojima, every MGS game I played came across as a bit fan service-y and often creepy (Les Enfants Terribles & Quiet come to mind). Hell, I only picked this up because I enjoyed Mad World on the Wii. I probably would have enjoyed this a great deal more if it was struck out on it's own IP and if they just let Platinum go ape shit.

Also fuck the camera.

Mesoian

What's so great about Anarchy Reigns? That game looks kinda janky, to me.

AR, if you can get a match going of relatively local people, is super fun, even if the combat really does boil down to an extremely fast pace game of Rock Paper Scissors. That game was meant to be played against people, so the single player is a pretty poor way how to learn that game. But it's pretty amazing once you get a proper match going. Very little jank when humans are involved.

Oh, I forgot about Madworld though. Okay, MGR is better than Madworld.

Sanctuary

Try this, has worked for some of us. Windowed Borderless Gaming

If it works, just don't alt tab out of the game, screws up positioning for me. Steam Overlay is cut off a little at the bottom but game is correct unless you alt tab out and back in, then it too gets cut off at the bottom.

Edit: Some have used the method in TatteredHats post, unfortunately at least for, that screws up the brightness/gamma making everything much darker/blurrier.

Thanks, this worked. Now if only there was a fix for the button prompts to actually match that of a controller instead of mouse/keyboard. It's silly too, because the game recognizes that you have a controller, and even has controller options in the options menu.

Mesoian

I certainly think Rising is probably the most problematic and rushed of Platinum's games, though falls somewhere in the weird sludge that includes Max Anarchy and Mad World. But "worst Platinum game" is hard to complain about when "worst" still results in a game that I enjoy the shit out of.

And like all Platinum games, especially like The Wonderful 101, I kinda gotta put a filter on people complaining and in the same breath making it clear they're just not very good at a certain mechanic or game system that despite having a bit of a learning curve or requiring some investment is still perfectly functional, responsive, and useful.

I get that some people have a rough time with parrying and zantadsu. But if you do them right they both work 99% of the time and are well integrated into the gameplay formula. If I can die only once on the final boss fight on hard during this playthrough, with clear feedback of what does/does not work and how to best apply my skills and abilities, the mechanics aren't busted.

I mean, yeah. A bad platinum game is still MILES above the usual stuff we see throughout the year. MGR, IMO, is the worst platinum title, but it's still one of the better Metal Gear games I've played. It's like saying a 91 is the worst grade I've ever gotten. Sure it's my worst grade, but it's still an A.

The problem MGR has over the other games that are just difficult to learn is that most of the design decisions the game has feel as if they're just promoting artifical difficulty, which is something that platinum games tend not to do. With W101, that game takes a ton of time to learn, but once you do, you feel like a ninja. Bayonetta's combat system feels overbearing, but once you figure out you're method of fighting, that game just flows. In MGR, most of the hard stopping points have nothing to do with you learning how to play, they're just poor design decisions. Should I sneak through this room or just fight? Should I play this from a distance or deal with the crowd control. There are too many instances in MGR where these decisions don't feel like player choices. The versatility that Platinum games usually have simply isn't here, and that sucks. And of course the camera is total shit and bosses being difficult because they can one shot you for being a frame off is pretty terrible.

Keep in mind, I blame Konami's time table for all of this. It would be really interesting if Konami decides to fund a MGR2 where Platinum gets a full development schedule to make something that's up to their usual par instead of them having to cut corners due to only have something like 14 months to make the game.

I'm gonna go play Wonderful 101 again.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thanks, this worked. Now if only there was a fix for the button prompts to actually match that of a controller instead of mouse/keyboard. It's silly too, because the game recognizes that you have a controller, and even has controller options in the options menu.

It should since it switches between keyboard and controller prompts instantly if I use either.

I finally did it! So proud!

RxXyJxG.jpg

Took many, MANY tries to beat the final dude, but in the end, beating it on Hard was worth it. Haven't felt this good about smashing a game in a long time. Thanks to all the tips I got from here, they really helped.

MormaPope

Banned
The problem MGR has over the other games that are just difficult to learn is that most of the design decisions the game has feel as if they're just promoting artifical difficulty, which is something that platinum games tend not to do. With W101, that game takes a ton of time to learn, but once you do, you feel like a ninja. Bayonetta's combat system feels overbearing, but once you figure out you're method of fighting, that game just flows. In MGR, most of the hard stopping points have nothing to do with you learning how to play, they're just poor design decisions. Should I sneak through this room or just fight? Should I play this from a distance or deal with the crowd control. There are too many instances in MGR where these decisions don't feel like player choices. The versatility that Platinum games usually have simply isn't here, and that sucks. And of course the camera is total shit and bosses being difficult because they can one shot you for being a frame off is pretty terrible.

The thing I agree with is the camera. Getting hit into a corner and the camera becoming sporadic isn't nice. Everything else you said though? Disagree completely. Rising is difficult because of the emphasis put on offense and defense, once you understand parrying you're in control of most situations. The only enemy type that throws you off balance are RPG dudes, which means you go after the RPG dudes first.

If Rising amounted to being a Bayonetta/DmC clone I would've been devastated. Rising has it's identity and soul, Rising won't be for everyone.

demidar

I see they didn't fix the camera. It's a shame, it's the one thing that brings down the game the most. The problem is the camera is too close to Raiden, so when you approach a wall it spazzes out to try and get Raiden back in frame, which wouldn't be a problem except parrying requires directional input. If you get backed into a corner, the camera is so close you can't see anything else, so you have to get out of there as soon as possible or risk getting stunlocked from off-screen enemies.

How would I go about setting SGSSAA for this game? I have Nvidia Inspector.

*edit* Nevermind, found this:

How to enable SGSSAA:

1) Create new profile in Nvidia Inspector, link to MGR exe
2) Enter 0x084012C1 in Antialiasing compatibility
3) Set Antialiasing Mode to 'Enhance'
4) Set Transparency Multisampling to 'Enabled'
5) Enable 2, 4, or 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling in Transparency Supersampling
6) Set the LOD Bias accordingly: -.500 for 2x, -1.000 for 4x and -1.500 for 8x.
7) Set the MSAA level in-game to the same as SGSSAA level.

Thanks, antitrop. :)

Carbonox

The thing I agree with is the camera. Getting hit into a corner and the camera becoming sporadic isn't nice. Everything else you said though? Disagree completely. Rising is difficult because of the emphasis put on offense and defense, once you understand parrying you're in control of most situations. The only enemy type that throws you off balance are RPG dudes, which means you go after the RPG dudes first.

If Rising amounted to being a Bayonetta/DmC clone I would've been devastated. Rising has it's identity and soul, Rising won't be for everyone.

Yah, there is nothing cheap about Rising. Everything is manageable providing you learn how to manage. Platinuming this game is one of my proudest achievements in gaming because it really made me have to learn every single aspect of the game. Once I nailed everything down, I was in complete control. Nothing was taken away from me.

Dunno why Rising is getting thrown in to the same band as tripe like Anarchy Reigns though...that game is dull but then it is made by the MadWorld people after all...

Rising is one of the best action games released in the last generation, easy. AND that's with P* having to rush it out given their small time frame due to Konami. Commendable as fuck. It's not perfect and Rising 2 could be something even more special, but what we got is gaming ecstacy nonetheless.

Top Bottom