• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just defeated Mistral.
This game is pretty awful. Really repetitive, boring gameplay and completely uninteresting story. Pretty damn soulless game, I feel nothing for any of the characters,

The bosses in Rising actually have more character than the ones in MGS4 and Peace Walker believe it or not, so it's a bit of an improvement :p

How would I go about setting SGSSAA for this game? I have Nvidia Inspector.

*edit* Nevermind, found this:

Thanks, antitrop. :)

Can you print screen a pic of your MGR nvidia inspector profile?

I'm potatoe and don't know how to find "Antialiasing compatibility" or how to do these 2 steps:
6) Set the LOD Bias accordingly: -.500 for 2x, -1.000 for 4x and -1.500 for 8x.
7) Set the MSAA level in-game to the same as SGSSAA level.

Zeliard

Just beat Monsoon, and everything about that fight was awesome. The preceding cutscene (including cat cameo), the propulsive music, Monsoon's offensive moves putting great emphasis on parrying, his rather unique way of dodging attacks, the fact that it's a purely 1v1 fight, and the way you finish the bastard off.

Satisfying. He must be quite the son of a bitch on Revengeance difficulty.

SHAZOOM

Definitely not the case, that sequence came up several times when I beat him last night. No idea about the debris distance, I'd have to compare.

On the other hand the fistfight sequence where you have to take ~1% HP from him or last a few minutes bugged out on me back in the day on 360, the QTE leading to the next stage would never start, even after bringing him down to 98% or lasting like three minutes.
So I wouldn't be too quick to attribute certain bugs to the PC version, the game has always had a handful.

Oh its totally different in debris distance. I may just need to reinstall, since the game has been really only buggy for me during blade mode.

But man is it frustrating when I literally have him beat (the sequence where he rushes Raiden, grabs his throat, then Raiden gets out of it, leading to the epic sword vs. Punches) just won't read my input. Tried holding down LT, tried tapping it on time. Its literally not responding.

Hmm. Let me try to back up the save (if that's even possible I don't know) and re-install.

BlackJace

Just beat Monsoon, and everything about that fight was awesome. The preceding cutscene (including cat cameo), the propulsive music, Monsoon's offensive moves putting great emphasis on parrying, his rather unique way of dodging attacks, the fact that it's a purely 1v1 fight, and the way you finish the bastard off.

Oh he is, trust me. There are ways to cheese him, but that wouldn't be fun, of course.

Artanisix

like honestly fuck this fucking shit face of an elevator like what the fuck who thought it was a good idea to have those flying bat shits shooting rockets and machine guns while those gorilla things eat your dicks like what the fuck man

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Trying to no damage him on Very Hard had me replaying over and over and over again.

And even so, I still get so pumped when the vocals kick in and I hear, "And it will flow! Like a flood of rain!"

like honestly fuck this fucking shit face of an elevator like what the fuck who thought it was a good idea to have those flying bat shits shooting rockets and machine guns while those gorilla things eat your dicks like what the fuck man

Get your bearings, circle around, lock onto the flying enemies and use Falling Sky to do a homing kick which sets them up for a Zandatsu. Do this for all the flying enemies first.

jett

D-Member

You die in a couple of hits in Revengeance, but your counters are more or less instakills. You can destroy bosses rather quickly. :p

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I never understood the criticism for the camera. What is the difference between this game and bayonetta? Both have the same camera

Bayonetta is the better designed game. In bayo enemies can only use certain attacks off screen that are accompanied by distinct audio cues and the player has the means to avoid/react to them with this knowledge alone.

Rising has enemies behaving normally off screen with no real strong audio cues and enemies at time ignoring stage layouts (mastiffs through walls, or jumping up one way and coming down from another) and to top it off all of your defensive options are based on the camera. So you don't really have the means to react to offscreen threats without vision or a sense of direction

And while offscreen attacks are at most disruptive in bayo, They're devastating at higher difficulties in rising

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
ahhhh i can't get it out of my head

Standing here
I realize
You are just like me
Trying to make history

But who’s to judge
The right from wrong
When our guard is down
I think we’ll both agree

That violence breeds violence
But in the end it has to be this waaaaaaaaay!!

Dahbomb

Enemies rarely attack out of off screen in MGR as well. At the very least off screen enemies become very passive.

The problem is the camera itself. It will occasionally spaz out causing enemies to be on and off screen which results in some off screen attacks.

Arsenic13

Don't mind me. Just saving Edward Snowden.

xODhwpe.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
I seriously dislike the camera in this game for such fast action but everything else is pretty good. I dont really understand people's obsession with the lyrics to songs though, i mean its badass they kick-in during the final fight but the songs themselves kind of suck.

DieH@rd

Banned
Enemies rarely attack out of off screen in MGR as well. At the very least off screen enemies become very passive.

The problem is the camera itself. It will occasionally spaz out causing enemies to be on and off screen which results in some off screen attacks.

Cyborg humans yes. But dogs, cows, gorillas and raptors are always active.

And camera.... it fucked me over few times, but nothing significant. So far I died few times only in platforming section [that god-damned crane on Marshal HQ roof, died 5 times there LOL].

Jintor

Yeah, this is it. The problem is really exascerbated in small areas cos the camera gets pressed up against a wall and will either just stick close to raiden or an enemy, meaning you'll get a face full of low-res semi-transparent textures that might attack you, or it'll just go directly overhead meaning you can't goddamn see anything.

Another thing about Bayo is that almost all projectiles in that game are either really slow and have a major audio/visual cue from offscreen (trumpets! Even very hard mode trumpets are relatively slow compared to rockets) or are dodgable/parryable. Weird thing about Raiden's d/o is that it seems to centre on an opponent, so sometimes he'll dodge around them right into another attack. Great job, Raiden. You can't dodge into movement either which was a big thing that helped survivability in Bayo.

And camera.... it fucked me over few times, but nothing significant. So far I died few times only in platforming section [that god-damned crane on Marshal HQ roof, died 5 times there LOL].

lol i thought I was the only one!

Dahbomb

Also secret tech for beating the final boss:
Ninja run past his debris toss sequence to avoid having to play the Blade mode mini game.

I'm curious, is it better to have 8x MSAA, or 2x MSAA and 2x SGSSAA? 4x MSAA and 4x SGSSAA results in frequent dips below 60fps, which is why I'm not using it.

zainetor

Banned
Damn, I always miss at least one.

mistral is a bitch to S-rank. Those fucking D.gekkos and explosive barrels in the last section always hit me once. Thank god for the checkpoints.
they should not have counted external damage for the no-damage. Even in the 2nd mission with the 2 grads in the small ass room and explosives crates and shit,.

demidar

Also secret tech for beating the final boss:
Ninja run past his debris toss sequence to avoid having to play the Blade mode mini game.

I've never had trouble with Blade Mode so it's surprising to me that almost everyone else does. Is everyone manually swiping the stick side-to-side rather than just releasing the stick to default position? You're meant to just release the stick.

I've never had trouble with Blade Mode so it's surprising to me that almost everyone else does. Is everyone manually swiping the stick side-to-side rather than just releasing the stick to default position? You're meant to just release the stick.

That doesn't seem to work reliably for me. Sometimes when I release, he swings the sword, other times he doesn't. So I just adjust the direction with the stick, then use one of the face buttons instead.

antitrop

I can Blade Cancel like a motherfucker now, it's really not hard, but it does take a bit of practice, and you have to know which moves will require it ahead of time.

The flow of battle is just so perfectly smooth once you get used to all of the controls, it's Platinum trademarked buttah.

Zeliard

Haha, the sai is sick. Stun-lock city. Also love the grappler to smash anything that flies or just to keep constant pressure on an enemy. My favorite alternate weapon so far.

demidar

That doesn't seem to work reliably for me. Sometimes when I release, he swings the sword, other times he doesn't. So I just adjust the direction with the stick, then use one of the face buttons instead.

Are you using a 360 controller? I haven't tried that one, played and works on the PS3 controller.

BPoole

I literally can not get over how fucking terrible I am at this game. It took me almost an hour to beat Sam yesterday. I have previously cleared NG, DMC, and Bayo on their highest difficulties, yet I get B combat ratings for almost every fight and I'm playing on Normal.

I literally can not get over how fucking terrible I am at this game. It took me almost an hour to beat Sam yesterday. I have previously cleared NG, DMC, and Bayo on their highest difficulties, yet I get B combat ratings for almost every fight and I'm playing on Normal.

Just gave up on Sam after an hour of getting my ass kicked, seriously getting destroyed

Happens man, I was great at this game, but complete garbage at w101 and NG black for the first 10 hours or so, that's what I love about action games, always room for improvement.

God damn. Anyone else playing on hard? Wasn't really struggling much but final boss, just laughable how short I last. I've made it to QTE maybe once? Would love some tips Hard/VeryHard/Revengeance veterans. Already saw the tip for debris but I haven't even made it that far yet...

BPoole

Just gave up on Sam after an hour of getting my ass kicked, seriously getting destroyed
I can not dodge or block his 4-5 hit combos. I'll parry 1 or 2 of the strikes and then I get hit with one that stuns me and makes me wiggle the fucking left analog stick and then he gets another 2-3 hits on me. I would get lucky sometimes and dodge behind his back while he does a combo and I could just wail on his back.

Mesoian

I never understood the criticism for the camera. What is the difference between this game and bayonetta? Both have the same camera.

@Shazoom: Try repeating the entire stage from the start again.

Bayonetta handles stuff like transparencies better than MGR, so you don't get stuff like the camera getting stuck in boulders during the Sam fight and generally keeps the camera farther back and higher up, which allows for a better view of the battlefield and reduces the times when enemies will attack from off screen, resulting in damage you can't avoid. The most drastic difference is how it handles focus. MGR's camera is completely spastic, often centering on enemies who are the full length of the arena away from Raiden rather than focusing on the half dozen better candidates. This doesn't happen in any other Platinum game and it's been a while since I've seen it happen in a character action game in general.

For a game that has such a focus on split second reactions and decision making, the camera will often be your biggest hindrance.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Blade cancelling would have come in so handy for the last boss. Didn't even think of it...damnit.

Currently just messing about and doing a currency run on hard. The sai really is a beast and just brilliant fun to use. You also never realise how much you've improved until you do a replay, I'm currently running into rooms of enemies and just clearing them out :p (of course this will change on Very Hard and above.... )

So, I'm guessing the answer is no, but does there happen to be any sort of graphical tweak that will disable the blood/gore, or at least vastly tone it down?

I'd really like to pay this but I'm super squeamish.

Jintor

Can you blade cancel with less than 100% battery? You should be able to, right, it just won't slowdown?

So, I'm guessing the answer is no, but does there happen to be any sort of graphical tweak that will disable the blood/gore, or at least vastly tone it down?

I'd really like to pay this but I'm super squeamish.

I thought I saw one in the options menu, but it might just turn all the blood into... white goo instead.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
And camera.... it fucked me over few times, but nothing significant

It's not so bad on regular playthrouggs, but what soured me on the way things worked was my s rank run. Pretty fun having a no damage run ruined by off screen bullets that raiden has no answer to. Ninja run isn't fast enough for you to react and that's the only option to deal with them

I can not dodge or block his 4-5 hit combos. I'll parry 1 or 2 of the strikes and then I get hit with one that stuns me and makes me wiggle the fucking left analog stick and then he gets another 2-3 hits on me. I would get lucky sometimes and dodge behind his back while he does a combo and I could just wail on his back.

Camera always seems to get me, I have lock and then I lose it and he hits me from nowhere.

I'm probably just tired, give it a go again tomorrow if I get home from work before like 10pm

demidar

Forget about it (unless you're going for a all cheevos). The game's scoring system is overly harsh.

BPoole

Happens man, I was great at this game, but complete garbage at w101 and NG black for the first 10 hours or so, that's what I love about action games, always room for improvement.
I'm pretty determined to get a lot better at this game. I watched some vids of people destroying Sam on Revengeance mode and doing all these combos I've never even seen and now that's like all I want to do. I haven't gotten that mad over a video game in quite awhile lol

esai

Just did this one too. Loved this fight. Fuck I love this game. Too bad I'm going out to watch the Patriots play otherwise I'd play all today.

Top Bottom