• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The problem MGR has over the other games that are just difficult to learn is that most of the design decisions the game has feel as if they're just promoting artifical difficulty, which is something that platinum games tend not to do. With W101, that game takes a ton of time to learn, but once you do, you feel like a ninja. Bayonetta's combat system feels overbearing, but once you figure out you're method of fighting, that game just flows. In MGR, most of the hard stopping points have nothing to do with you learning how to play, they're just poor design decisions. Should I sneak through this room or just fight? Should I play this from a distance or deal with the crowd control. There are too many instances in MGR where these decisions don't feel like player choices. The versatility that Platinum games usually have simply isn't here, and that sucks. And of course the camera is total shit and bosses being difficult because they can one shot you for being a frame off is pretty terrible.

What you see as problems I don't, though. For most party anyway. I don't think it matters if you 'should' sneak or fight, because you can do either, or a bit of both, and apply a set of skills to both scenarios rather comfortably. I do agree there's artificial difficulty, but I lay that criticism on the fucking abysmal, mess of a camera and the horrendous stick waggle from stun. An overwhelming majority of my frustrations come from these two points, not the core fight system itself, nor the level design (though the latter does need more work, and is obviously rushed).

It's not the deepest game, but in turn I felt that made it pretty easy to understand. Again, going through on hard with a clean slate, I only died on one boss encounter: the last, and once. I got my ass handed to me countless times on my first playthrough on hard way back when, but doing it all over again with a bit more knowledge than before, I better understand what I was doing wrong and it all makes sense to me.

Different strokes, I guess.

SHAZOOM

Got to the .01% again with Armstrong, and I'm pretty sure I'm at a bug. Everytime the Zandatsu prompt shows up to counter his last punch, it won't register LT.

And no, I'm not complaining, I beat the game on PS3. Just frustrated by some of the bugginess.

SHAZOOM

Especially with those 3 gorillas.

Gorillas are actually cake if you use the Pole Arm. It generally puts them into hit stun, and if there's another behind you, the area of effect is wide enough to interrupt their attacks also.

My only complaint is how slow the Sai homing kick comes out. I swear it was faster than this on PS3.

Sundowner was pretty lame. You could have every box highlighted, and the game would still inexplicably decide that the shields will explode anyway. Slash really needed to be mapped to right trigger or something during blade mode.

Sam was difficult at first just because he outdamaged me whenever I missed blocks, but he doesn't bother to defend himself from the pincer charge attack, which does 5-10% to him.

Yah, there is nothing cheap about Rising. Everything is manageable providing you learn how to manage.

As far as basic mechanics and boss design, this is true. The camera really can kill the mood a few times, especially on harder difficulties/VR missions where a single mistake will screw up whatever you're going for.

The parry is brilliant, but since it's tied to positioning and camera (which can crap out on you when near an object), it becomes flawed. It's great, don't get me wrong, but when almost every other aspect of the game is so good, it stands out even more

TnK

I never understood the criticism for the camera. What is the difference between this game and bayonetta? Both have the same camera.

@Shazoom: Try repeating the entire stage from the start again.

Squire

Banned
How the fuck do I
get on the other platform
when the Dok tells you to? There's no prompt anywhere. I'm just jumping at invisible walls.

So, it's debatable that I've never played an action game in my life, unless you count third person shooters... in that case it would probably be about limited to the Max Payne series.

So no Ninja Gaiden, DMC, nothing. AND the only Metal Gear game I've played is the first one. Anyways, picked this up and I'm playing through on Hard first due to recommendation and I just beat Monsoon. This game is fucking amazing. Not a single damn gripe, even the parry manoeuvre. The learning curve for someone like myself is steep, but it's so damn satisfying when you get better I can't even describe it. It's like a feeling that has been lost for years.

Would buy again even based on where I'm up to now. I hear the final boss is insane. Another great recommendation by GAF.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The problem MGR has over the other games that are just difficult to learn is that most of the design decisions the game has feel as if they're just promoting artifical difficulty, which is something that platinum games tend not to do. With W101, that game takes a ton of time to learn, but once you do, you feel like a ninja. Bayonetta's combat system feels overbearing, but once you figure out you're method of fighting, that game just flows. In MGR, most of the hard stopping points have nothing to do with you learning how to play, they're just poor design decisions. Should I sneak through this room or just fight? Should I play this from a distance or deal with the crowd control. There are too many instances in MGR where these decisions don't feel like player choices. The versatility that Platinum games usually have simply isn't here, and that sucks. And of course the camera is total shit and bosses being difficult because they can one shot you for being a frame off is pretty terrible.

I agree with Eat Children that most of these issues simply weren't issues for me. I always felt like I could either go stealth or full action, and neither option left me at a disadvantage. And the game mechanics were pretty easy for me to grasp. There's an initial hurdle of understanding the parry mechanic, but that's it. And I also never died a single time on my first Hard playthrough with the exception of the final boss.

I certainly don't think this is Platinum's best game, but I don't think that's due to artificial difficulty or pacing issues.

Sundowner was pretty lame. You could have every box highlighted, and the game would still inexplicably decide that the shields will explode anyway. Slash really needed to be mapped to right trigger or something during blade mode.

Line it up and then press the attack button to actually slash.

Clawww

I never understood the criticism for the camera. What is the difference between this game and bayonetta? Both have the same camera.

really? you can't see the problem people have with the camera? not sure why someone would care to downplay or defend the camera issues.

it can be worked around and if you're good at the game it won't hold you back all that much, but it's still a piece of shit, no doubt about it.

Maybe because I've played plenty of Dark Souls, where you have to parry at the last second to riposte, but I had no problem at all understanding the parry system. Not as easy to execute parry and counter consistently, but that's just practice.

What's actually been hard for me to understand is a combat system that doesn't revolve around juggles.

TGMIII

How the fuck do I
get on the other platform
when the Dok tells you to? There's no prompt anywhere. I'm just jumping at invisible walls.

Kill the dwarf gekkos holding onto the rail and you'll eventually catch up to the other platform and be able to jump over

SHAZOOM

Is this a known bug? I just played Ch. 7 again on PS3 and there is definitely issue with the blade mode sequences (the Debris is considerably closer, and the part where he leaps at you and blade mode his head is missing in the PC version)

TGMIII

That's not working. I don't understand. Can you miss the platform or something?

You're on the section where the platform catches fire, correct? You'll get a cut scene where Dok tells you to stop the dwarf gekkos from slowing down the platform by attacking them. The longer they are holding the rail the more you fall behind the other platform. So long as you keep them away you'll eventually catch up to the second platform and once it's parallel, or close, you'll be able to jump over.

solarus

I seriously have no gripes with this game other than the camera which is fucking awful. Combat is solid but you definitely need to play it on hard as normal is way too easy.

ViviOggi

Is this a known bug? I just played Ch. 7 again on PS3 and there is definitely issue with the blade mode sequences (the Debris is considerably closer, and the part where he leaps at you and blade mode his head is missing in the PC version)

Definitely not the case, that sequence came up several times when I beat him last night. No idea about the debris distance, I'd have to compare.

On the other hand the fistfight sequence where you have to take ~1% HP from him or last a few minutes bugged out on me back in the day on 360, the QTE leading to the next stage would never start, even after bringing him down to 98% or lasting like three minutes.
So I wouldn't be too quick to attribute certain bugs to the PC version, the game has always had a handful.

Xavin

Neo Member
The boss fights are just so much fun. I really enjoyed the moonson fight and I love when the lyrics starts, gets me going real good.
Most annoying enemy so far is the dwarf gekkos, annoying bastards.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

They definitely seem to be closer from my Hard play-through but I got the head prompt although he was really close to me so I'd had to angle the blade up to hit him. This never happened to me on the PS3 version so I'm wondering if this is a bug or not?

TnK

really? you can't see the problem people have with the camera? not sure why someone would care to downplay or defend the camera issues.

it can be worked around and if you're good at the game it won't hold you back all that much, but it's still a piece of shit, no doubt about it.

I honestly do not know why people have a problem with the camera. I am seriously asking this question btw, I want someone to explain to me why the camera is a problem. Then again, I played God Hand, and never had a problem with that game's camera, lol. It is all about knowing where your enemies are standing behind you, and when to expect their attacks.

For my hard run, I died 4 times at the elevator part every time trying to get that data storage =__= I am surprised that I did not die vs Armstrong. I died a total of 5 times, and I don't remember where my 5th death was, but it was something stupid =/

Sanctuary

It should since it switches between keyboard and controller prompts instantly if I use either.

It should, but it doesn't for me. I have mouse and keyboard prompts for everything while using a 360 controller. Using wireless, so maybe that's it though. I'll try a wired and see if it changes anything.

Jintor

I honestly do not know why people have a problem with the camera. I am seriously asking this question btw, I want someone to explain to me why the camera is a problem. Then again, I played God Hand, and never had a problem with that game's camera, lol. It is all about knowing where your enemies are standing behind you, and when to expect their attacks.

Because the camera will swing around 180 degrees on a fucking whim and the game is heavily reliant on you knowing Raiden's position relative to his enemies? Because the camera doesn't clip through walls or properly transparentise objects so you'll just got a close up shot of Raiden's metal ass as a mastiff launches itself at you from an unknowable direction from off-screen? Because it's always just a little bit too close to Raiden so you can't actually see where you're about to be attacked from?

Though hearing these death counts on hard I think I've just become shit again, lol. Armstrong worked me over on Hard mode :(

TnK

Because the camera will swing around 180 degrees on a fucking whim and the game is heavily reliant on you knowing Raiden's position relative to his enemies? Because the camera doesn't clip through walls or properly transparentise objects so you'll just got a close up shot of Raiden's metal ass as a mastiff launches itself at you from an unknowable direction from off-screen? Because it's always just a little bit too close to Raiden so you can't actually see where you're about to be attacked from?

Though hearing these death counts on hard I think I've just become shit again, lol. Armstrong worked me over on Hard mode :(

I only had a problem with the first reason, but it was only in very rare occasions. Never had a problem with the second or third reason, especially the third.

legacyzero

Banned
WHEWWWW

ilkjfFW40XcY6.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It really bugs me that Sam doesn't have a good charging plunging attack.

His F,F,Heavy works similarly. If I need to get a good rush attack, I usually just Ninja Run + H, H. Sam just takes a little more thought with his charge mechanic. He can get huge damage from any distance, so it's not necessarily as important for him to immediately close the gap as it is for Raiden.

Squire

Banned
You're on the section where the platform catches fire, correct? You'll get a cut scene where Dok tells you to stop the dwarf gekkos from slowing down the platform by attacking them. The longer they are holding the rail the more you fall behind the other platform. So long as you keep them away you'll eventually catch up to the second platform and once it's parallel, or close, you'll be able to jump over.

Yeah, I got it. Thanks.

DieH@rd

Banned
Oh man, that elevator sequence was really hardcore. Everything was easy except 2 geckos and then 2 guerillas at the end. I finished that sequence fighting like mad, zero health packs with 2 guerillas remaining, managing to defeat them with 5% of health.

Insane. Its such a shame I did not played this on PS4, so I could save DVR of that fight.

I arrived at fake Minstrall also with zero health, but I managed to beat hear easily. But, fake Monsoon is kicking my ass.

Any tips for him?

Jintor

His F,F,Heavy works similarly. If I need to get a good rush attack, I usually just Ninja Run + H, H. Sam just takes a little more thought with his charge mechanic. He can get huge damage from any distance, so it's not necessarily as important for him to immediately close the gap as it is for Raiden.

I mean if you're overhead, his heavy charge shoots forwards instead of plunging. It's a little irritating he doesn't have an overhead slam AOE or something.

KarmaCow

Beat the game a while ago but I'm ready to go for a Very Hard or Revengeance run but first I want to clear up a few things.

1) In the final battle when the boss
is throwing debris, why does it seem like this is so difficult? Cutting through three pieces by lining up 4 boxes each time is pretty insane. I always seemed to run out of energy and just had to take it, wasting nanopaste. The rest of the fight was pretty easy, though there were definitely situations where I got knocked from one flame pillar right into another one.
I didn't quite get the conditions to stun the boss either.

2) Can all parry-able moves be perfect parried? I know the timing is smaller on harder difficulties but I just could not get a perfect parry on most attacks much less get them reliably. I don't necessarily mean having the counter attack hit but just going through that animation. It would make clearing out enemies much faster if I could get the timings down because so far I've been relying on dodging instead of parrying. Also does perfect parry negate any damage taken, like say in the penultimate boss fight?

3) There are a few titles that say complete the game without dying, does resetting to a checkpoint count as dying?

Raynes

Just defeated Mistral.
This game is pretty awful. Really repetitive, boring gameplay and completely uninteresting story. Pretty damn soulless game, I feel nothing for any of the characters,

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I mean if you're overhead, his heavy charge shoots forwards instead of plunging. It's a little irritating he doesn't have an overhead slam AOE or something.

Just press H in the air, don't hold it. That slam creates a lot of hitstun and is a giant hitbox. It's essentially an overhead slam.

Jintor

Just press H in the air, don't hold it. That slam creates a lot of hitstun and is a giant hitbox. It's essentially an overhead slam.

Sweet, thanks.

God I love the way Sam bounces off walls.
I especially love how they integrated it into his QTE win. It's great also how they worked Zandatsu into Raiden's final boss fight too

Permanently A

I've been playing this on hard, and so far I haven't died a single time. Nanopaste really makes it pretty easy, especially with the white suit. Gonna fight Armstrong now, lets see if he kicks my ass.

Sober

I seriously have no gripes with this game other than the camera which is fucking awful. Combat is solid but you definitely need to play it on hard as normal is way too easy.
Yeah the sewer part where if you alert them all and end up fighting 3 mastiffs is only artifically hard as balls because of the camera because you are in a tight-ass corridor. Double the space and it would've been fine. I mean, I would've still gotten my ass kicked a few times but wouldn't be calling out bullshit because off entirely offscreen kicks.

Jintor

Haha, for my money the worst is fighting those fucking 2 or 3 mastiffs in that tiny room at the very end of Chapter 4 when you pick up the VR mission.

Skilletor

Just defeated Mistral.
This game is pretty awful. Really repetitive, boring gameplay and completely uninteresting story. Pretty damn soulless game, I feel nothing for any of the characters,

Character action games are only as repetitive as the player makes them.

Top Bottom