• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

I made it to the final boss, and
This is atrocious. His attacks can only be blocked, not parried, all of his attacks are pointlessly overpowered, he spends 70% of the fight invincible and spamming AoE attacks, he can heal himself, and needing to cut the rocks or else you take 100 damage is utter bullshit. This truly sucks and I have no idea how it made it into the game.

Dario ff

Banned
It's a cheat engine hack. You basically search for the resolution bytes in memory than change it to 3840x2160. But it's obviously not fully playable right now....
I sent you a PM with the addresses I found on my own. Maybe we can somehow merge them to get the GUI fixed.

BadWolf

oh jesus I only have one nanopaste left to fight armstrong. I'm fucked aren't I?

Succeed at the QTE and collect the 4 or 5 nanopaste that drop.

Then call Courtney and save.

This will save your new nanopaste count for when you retry again. So if you retry you will have 4 or 5 nanopaste instead of 1.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just found an infinite juggle on Sam. Worked on Hard mode anyway. Went from 60%-0%. It also let me get a 50 hit combo so I could S-rank him without picking up the Nanopaste.

Silly question, can you select parts within chapters to replay or just replay whole chapters/bosses ?

You can only choose chapters until you beat the entire game+DLC. Then you'll unlock boss select.

vg260

Anybody getting a 1080i signal when selecting 1920x1080? This is on a 7970 with Crossfire disabled.

Edit: I should also add this is through HDMI to a receiver to my TV.

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. (nvidia card) My TV switches from 1080p to 1080i in fullscreen. Is there a fix yet?

Regiruler

he's the final boss. He's kinda meant to be difficult.

Not all games go that route. Some prefer to make the final boss a spectacle.
Even within platinum games there are examples of easy final bosses: W101, for instance.
The hardest part about
Jergingha
was quite honestly the
escape portion
, not the boss forms themselves.

I do think the bosses in general have a health balancing problem. They often feel too long or too short: the only one that actually felt in the middle ground was
EXCELSUS
and Monsoon. At least on hard, anyway.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Succeed at the QTE and collect the 4 or 5 nanopaste that drop.

Then call Courtney and save.

This will save your new nanopaste count for when you retry again. So if you retry you will have 4 or 5 nanopaste instead of 1.

BROTIP

Most of the difficulty with Jubileus was in that fucking minigame at the end of it.

Beat that game three times. Once on normal, then hard, then infinite climax. Just realized I barely remember any of it.

TGMIII

This is atrocious. His attacks can only be blocked, not parried, all of his attacks are pointlessly overpowered, he spends 70% of the fight invincible and spamming AoE attacks, he can heal himself, and needing to cut the rocks or else you take 100 damage is utter bullshit. This truly sucks and I have no idea how it made it into the game.

You can avoid the cutting section by ninja running away. You can stop him healing.
Everything else is on you.

Someone needs to create a version of the mastiff gif but replace them with
armstrong.

Regiruler

I don't know if it applies to the main campaign version, but I found out while playing Jetstream that
you can use the opportunity when he punches the ground for the tendril slam (you'll know because bits of ground are rising before the punch) to damage him. Also, use blade mode to stop himself from healing.

The final boss is laughably easy. He is super weak to upward kicks, which is almost an automatic combo, you can see all the attacks coming from a mile away and his health goes down to nothing within seconds if you just keep spamming attacks.
For the first time in the game, you gotta do precise attacks on the rocks, but you should get used to that after two or three tries.

I just ran under the rocks. It wasn't hard (and the game kept inexplicably stealing my nanopaste when it wasn't equipped, so I just stopped using it by Sundowner), but definitely the worst fight in the game. Had basically no identity and just felt like a generic boss fight that didn't belong in this game.

i'm trying to see how far i can make on hard in my first playthrough without having to upgrade my health/fuel and i'm not sure if this is gonna last. the grad in chapter 2 took me like 40 minutes to beat. though part of the problem was the camera being fucking terrible in that fight. if the boss can take away 40-50% of my hp in one combo, an entire fight can go to waste because of the camera getting in the way even once

game is still pretty good though. my right hand hurts after playing it for 3-4 hours. not sure if this is because i haven't played for long periods of time with a controller over the last 6 years, or if the game is just that intense or if i'm getting too old for this shit or what. worth it though

Regiruler

I am a little surprised they didn't try and teach you more about precision attacks earlier in the game though

Sundowner gave a crash course, but it should have been in a standard enemy as well.
Maybe a miniboss like how the GRAD forced you to learn to parry correctly.

EDIT: Beaten

A side note, but I now have Collective Consciousness stuck in my head now.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I am a little surprised they didn't try and teach you more about precision attacks earlier in the game though

yeah it's a little weird since zandatsu's are essentially automatic in every other portion of the game.

but that part can be skipped

antitrop

Wow, the Sam fight was remarkably easy, if not a hell of a lot of fun. Easiest boss in the entire game, by far. At least on Hard.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sundowner is way more fun to fight when you dodge around his back when his shields go up. Basically unending combos.

The only issue I have with it is that it basically skips his second form. If the game were patched, I would have liked Sundowner to automatically enter his second phase at a certain % health.

Hypron

I find it weird that people need to be taught that stuff though. The first thing I did when I played the game was try to aim at specific body parts and stuff...

Since when did efficiency outright equal fun?

That, plus if you don't Zandatsu his two friends in his second phase because you skipped it, it becomes harder to get an S rank for the fight.

Regiruler

I find it weird that people need to be taught that stuff though. The first thing I did when I played the game was try to aim at specific body parts and stuff...

That's only really required for bonus points, and that one section that requires the left hand that you can bypass anyway.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
They kind of did with Sundowner. Players could choose to ignore that, though.
I kinda wish Sundowner actually was FUCKIN INVINCIBLE until you cut off his shields.

The fact that you can easily cheese him makes that whole gimmick pointless.

antitrop

I kinda wish Sundowner actually was FUCKIN INVINCIBLE until you cut off his shields.

The fact that you can easily cheese him makes that whole gimmick pointless.
Those were my thoughts exactly, it's just way too easy to side-Dodge when he puts up his shields and just combo the shit out of him.

They really should have forced you to break his shields, but it is what it is.

So, Revengeance 2 for PC anyone? :3

I'd buy day 1, and I'm sure we'll see more Platinum titles on Steam before too long. This game was pretty short, I can only imagine that a sequel from the ground up with no pressure to save a sinking ship could do wonders.

Jintor

Efficiency is fun. Trying to work out the shortest possible timeframe from living to dead is awesome.

goddamn, fighting wolf in the sewer was a nightmare. all my parries got fucked up because of the camera.

Probably my favourite bossfight in the entire game actually. Wolf has a nice balance between vulnerable and fucking psychotically aggressive, and Sam's beautiful dodges and charge moves lend that fight a great sense of timing and cancelling. You're right about teh camera though.

Hypron

That's only really required for bonus points, and that one section that requires the left hand that you can bypass anyway.

Yeah I know it's not required, but what I find weird is that people don't experiment more by themselves. You get a game where the central mechanic is that you can cut whatever you want in pieces, and people don't even try to experiment? I don't really understand.

Squire

Banned
Man, Mistral and Monsoon are some fuckin' fun fights.

Sundowner wasn't as fun, but finishing him off...

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-bJkI.gif

Goddamn, PG. God. Damn.

Dahbomb

The only issue I have with it is that it basically skips his second form. If the game were patched, I would have liked Sundowner to automatically enter his second phase at a certain % health.
I actually like that you can fight him like that... without entering his 2nd state.

It's like classic MGS boss style with various ways to kill them. Remember The End in MGS3? You can skip that boss fight entirely!

People hating on the final boss fight... SMH! The manly level was through the roof.
Since when did efficiency outright equal fun?
For a lot of people playing in the most efficient manner or finding the most efficient way to play is fun and rewarding.

This is why the DMC games have such a dedicated following... being efficient in that game is actually fun because being efficient in the game means styling the most.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I really do wonder how much they've made in sales for this so far on PC. It's been in the top 3/5 of Steam for the last week or two and it was off to an amazing start as well. I just hope it really opens their eyes and also persuades Sega that it's worth porting the games over that they did with Platinum.

I actually like that you can fight him like that... without entering his 2nd state.

It's like classic MGS boss style with various ways to kill them. Remember The End in MGS3? You can skip that boss fight entirely!

People hating on the final boss fight... SMH! The manly level was through the roof.

I remember my way of defeating The End, I basically kicked him to death :p I'd find where he was, run up to him and kick him, turn away from his flashbang and you can see where he goes and follow him. Rinse and repeat.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
XbNFlvA.jpg

Yay no damaged mistral on very hard. It's definitely the easiest of the major bosses to no damage but that doesn't mean that it was effortless.

The first two parts of that fight are so easy to go through without damage but that last phase took me 30 minutes becuase of those explosive barrels and ALL OF THEM DWARF GEKKOS GRABBING ME JUST BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO HUG ME.

If I had recorded it a majority of the video time would have been ESC -> RESTART -> LOADING...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

That's true. I guess I just find it sort of a shame that so much of Sundowner can be skipped so easily. It also makes the fight significantly easier. And it skips the vocals, which is also a shame.

Dahbomb

God damn. Anyone else playing on hard? Wasn't really struggling much but final boss, just laughable how short I last. I've made it to QTE maybe once? Would love some tips Hard/VeryHard/Revengeance veterans. Already saw the tip for debris but I haven't even made it that far yet...
Here are my tips for the final boss:

*You gotta learn all of his attacks as they all do crazy amounts of damage.

*There are 3 types of lava attacks. The basic rule of thumb for dodging these moves is that you want to Ninja run at mid range (not too close and not too far away) while having him locked on so that you are circling him. This dodges all of his lava attacks, you can add in a jump for extra security. He has a non permanent lava attack which he can do twice in a row so be careful of that, just always expect. The one where he marks the ground with fire and you have to stand at a specific spot... always look for a dash in attack after that, he loves to be sneaky with that shit.

*When he is not doing that attack you want to be up close and personal against him. You want to do a couple slashes in front of him just to get his AI going. Rule of thumb against the final boss is that you always want to be attacking him head on... not behind him. When you attack him from behind he does this burst attack that is unblockable and hard to get out of... you need a well timed dodge or you need to ninja run away and both are easy to mess up which is why you need to keep attacking him front the front so that this option of his is minimized. The other back move he likes to do is his turn around punch which you can just block, it's nothing special. Some of his regular attacks may seem unblockable but if there's a red flash you can block it. Only exception are the lava burst attacks which seem like he has a red flash but you don't want to try to block them.

*All of his basic melee attacks should be blocked as he likes to do combo attacks so if you dodge them he might do a second attack that might catch you off guard. After his basic attacks, wait a bit until his nano armor goes away then attack... if you counter attack too early you will hit his armor and lose out on valuable damage. His running grab attack you need to dodge, you need to dodge that late because if you do it early he will come around and grab you anyway.

*He has a running charge attack that sets up a QTE where you lose your sword. You have to dodge this when the game slows down and it's essential that you do.

*When he starts throwing debris just ninja run under it. If you are low on nano paste then you can cut up the debris but I generally play MGR without nano paste and my slicing skills suck so I skill the debris.

*During the healing phase go around him and slash his back in Blade mode then go to town on him for big damage.

*The launcher kick is effective against him for some reason.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The worst bit is when you're fist-fighting him on to of Metal Gear Spider. Trying to manually judge when his attack that will knock you into the next stage is going to do actual damage or just do cutscene damage is a real pain in the ass.

Just dodge and run for like two or three minutes and then he'll trigger the second bit.

Really though, Sam's version of that same thing is more bullshit than Raidens.

Regiruler

For the lava wall attack, they have the ability to home in on you. If you position armstrong well, you can use this to your advantage if you are quick enough to get behind him, leaving yourself with a big enough piece of the arena to dodge in if necessary (
this tactic becomes very helpful in Jetstream since you have to dodge more often
).

Midou

Heh, it's funny to see the last boss discussions all over again. I certainly went through quite the roller coaster of emotions with that fight.

Regiruler

From what I can tell, it seems not everyone enjoyed the
Excelsus
fight.
I actually liked it, myself. Especially since it's attacks were often in beat to the music, and it was a nice change of pace to have something
so huge you can't properly parry it

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
This game is pretty fun and has gotten some genuine lols outta me

go ninja, go ninja, go
doomp

All the bosses have been really awesome so far (just killed shield guy).

big shame you can't switch weapons on the fly - would love to swap out to the sai's after kicking a guy away from me or launching him into the air.

Runs fantastic and looks great on PC - 16:9 only is a bit of a bummer but oh well I can live with a smidge of letterboxing. Looking forward to more Platinum (and maybe Konami?) games on the PC. How about a Vanquish port, guys? :)

Top Bottom