• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

antitrop

I know what people see in it, but I can't get past the self-serious, nonsense story and overlong cinematics. I also don't really enjoy the series' brand of stealth, either. Just not a series for me. I've certainly tried to get into it, I've played every one at launch, for some weird reason. =/ I always keep thinking "Hey, maybe this will be the Metal Gear Solid that I actually enjoy", and then nope, hate them all. 3 was okay, but I couldn't finish it. 1 and 2 are the only ones I finished, and 4 lost me within hours.

joe2187

Banned
It's real super bad terrible awfulness because a fundamental part of the combat itself is tied to the perspective. I

Having just played the prologue on Very hard right now this is absolutely true. The fight with the two LQ-84i's before the ray fight with grunts spawning and shooting you off camera with RPG's is the most trouble I've had since getting an S Rank on monsoons boss fight on Revengeance difficulty.

But I fucking did it anyway.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Having just played the prologue on Very hard right now this is absolutely true. The fight with the two LQ-84i's before the ray fight with grunts spawning and shooting you off camera with RPG's is the most trouble I've had since getting an S Rank on monsoons boss fight on Revengeance difficulty.

But I fucking did it anyway.

You know the grunts before the Ray fight aren't ranked encounters right?

When you attack him from behind he does this burst attack that is unblockable and hard to get out of... you need a well timed dodge or you need to ninja run away and both are easy to mess up which is why you need to keep attacking him front the front so that this option of his is minimized.

That's what causes that? That's a really big help, thanks. My first time through I ended up inadvertently triggering that blast so many times that I actually learned the timing to dodge 'through' it, because I could never get away from it reliably enough. In future I'll just stay away from his back, though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know what people see in it, but I can't get past the self-serious, nonsense story and overlong cinematics. I also don't really enjoy the series' brand of stealth, either. Just not a series for me. I've certainly tried to get into it, I've played every one at launch, for some weird reason. =/ I always keep thinking "Hey, maybe this will be the Metal Gear Solid that I actually enjoy", and then nope, hate them all. 3 was okay, but I couldn't finish it. 1 and 2 are the only ones I finished, and 4 lost me within hours.

Naw man it's cool; it's a very peculiar series and 2 in particular is really, really not for everyone (which is ironic considering it's the best selling one lol)

antitrop

Naw man it's cool; it's a very peculiar series and 2 in particular is really, really not for everyone (which is ironic considering it's the best selling one lol)

Zone of the Enders was the only game I bought with my PS2, specifically for the MGS2 demo. When I purchased the system, I placed down a preorder for MGS2 and DMC1 with it.

That demo was damn impressive, though. Blew my mind. The full game did, too, but not in a good way.

Dahbomb

That's what causes that? That's a really big help, thanks. My first time through I ended up inadvertently triggering that blast so many times that I actually learned the timing to dodge 'through' it, because I could never get away from it reliably enough. In future I'll just stay away from his back, though.
He sometimes does it from the front but he does it way more frequently if you start attacking his back. But using this method definitely minimizes his usage of the move.

Antitrop you should've finished MGS3 though. The last act or so of that game is pretty insane... I think that game is the one that started the whole crazy set piece driven game play that is a standard of AAA games nowadays. But it's good though especially the build up to the end.

antitrop

He sometimes does it from the front but he does it way more frequently if you start attacking his back. But using this method definitely minimizes his usage of the move.

Antitrop you should've finished MGS3 though. The last act or so of that game is pretty insane... I think that game is the one that started the whole crazy set piece driven game play that is a standard of AAA games nowadays. But it's good though especially the build up to the end.

I got too busy playing San Andreas at the time and just never went back to it.

Grief.exe

Final boss took me way too long. 1 hour and 30 minutes. I think there's a lot of mechanics that I didn't fully understand in time for the fight. Enjoyed every moment of it though.

I'm probably going to have a reality check. I'm at the end of the assault on Denver and I still can't accurately use the slow-mo.

Hypron

It's real super bad terrible awfulness because a fundamental part of the combat itself is tied to the perspective. In something like Bayo, unless you're using certain items, you can still get away with all your combos and dodges no matter how fudged up the camera is. Here you need a reliable perspective so you can properly time the correct parry directions.

I think everybody who's played the game will have been locked in a stun and deal significant damage simply because the camera spun around unpredictably and fucked up their parry.

I kinda wish there was a way to put the camera in full "manual mode", where the camera wouldn't rotate unless you chose to make it rotate. As it is it's quite frustrating especially in tight spaces.

Hypron

That's the sidescroller one isn't it? It wasn't hard at all.

You're probably thinking of VR4, aka triple mastiff.

VR4 is very long but it's not that hard, the arena is very large so for the mastiffs I just run around it to bait drop-kicks and wall-jump attacks which are easy to perfect parry. S-ranking it is pretty east too. If you go for the no-kill bonus you basically just need to survive to get an S rank.

I recommend using a rocket launcher to get rid of the 2 rocket launcher cyborgs. One hit should weaken one of their limb. After that you can just cut the limbs and wait for them to disappear.

I simply cannot find any fun in the gameplay of MGR. The camera is one of the worst I've experienced in a long time combined with the very strange parry system. I'm up to the helipad fight on top of skyscraper and I simply cannot figure out how it wants me to aim the sword.

Reading through this thread I feel like one of those people that didn't "get" Dark Souls. I can only assume I'm doing something horribly wrong with all the love the game is getting, but I just cannot get it to work.

Also, the controls outside of sword-based combat are so jank I can't imagine how they could be useful (such as grenade throwing and ninja running).

Hypron

I simply cannot find any fun in the gameplay of MGR. The camera is one of the worst I've experienced in a long time combined with the very strange parry system. I'm up to the helipad fight on top of skyscraper and I simply cannot figure out how it wants me to aim the sword.

Reading through this thread I feel like one of those people that didn't "get" Dark Souls. I can only assume I'm doing something horribly wrong with all the love the game is getting, but I just cannot get it to work.

Also, the controls outside of sword-based combat are so jank I can't imagine how they could be useful (such as grenade throwing and ninja running).

Ninja run is useful in combat to avoid taking damage from machine-guns and to make slide attacks which are really useful to get rid of normal Cyborgs. Sub-weapons are almost useless in combat if you try to aim them normally. Just double-tap LB to do quick shots which can be pretty useful.

Sub_Level

I'm probably going to have a reality check. I'm at the end of the assault on Denver and I still can't accurately use the slow-mo.

I didn't completely understand the blade mode controls until the final boss since I never bothered with the tutorial or getting the hand things, but that fight pretty much forces you to know it.

Ninja run is useful for getting away from enemies performing a yellow unblockable attack.

antitrop

I don't think there's a single person at Platinum games that would be able to actually answer why they thought forcing you to stop moving to bring up the sub-weapon menu was a good idea.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

DahBomb put together a good post on the general flow of the game's combat, but I can't seem to find it.

Here is a post with my general tips for newcomers:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

For the part that you're on, I can only assume you're talking about the shield cutting portion of a boss fight. The game wants you to Slice in Blade mode along the three red boxes. After you've separated the shield, it wants you to cut the two blue-hued wire-arms in Blade Mode without touching any of the shields.

Grenades have very specific purposes. You shouldn't be using rocket launchers or grenades in regular combat, as the game isn't built around those. Ninja running is very useful for fleeing and blocking bullets, but should only be otherwise used sparingly in combat... such as when closing distance to an enemy.

Regiruler

VR4 is very long but it's not that hard, the arena is very large so for the mastiffs I just run around it to bait drop-kicks and wall-jump attacks which are easy to perfect parry. S-ranking it is pretty east too. If you go for the no-kill bonus you basically just need to survive to get an S rank.
I was unable to complete it, it was so brutal. Every time I get down two mastiffs I suffer large damage from the mastiff while trying to damage the tripods or significant damage from the tripods while finishing off the mastiff. God help me if I miss the zandatsu.
Grenades have very specific purposes. You shouldn't be using rocket launchers or grenades in regular combat, as the game isn't built around those. Ninja running is very useful for fleeing and blocking bullets.
I actually like using Rocket Launcher to snipe the security guns.
E.M grenades are probably the best weapon in heated combat, though. RP grenade can buy you a bit of time to reposition yourself, depending on who you're fighting.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I don't think there's a single person at Platinum games that would be able to actually answer why they thought forcing you to stop moving to bring up the sub-weapon menu was a good idea.

Pretty sure it was a memory limitation with the consoles, so they really should have implemented a switch button on the d-pad or something for the PC version.

Hypron

I was unable to complete it, it was so brutal. Every time I get down two mastiffs I suffer large damage from the mastiff while trying to damage the tripods or significant damage from the tripods while finishing off the mastiff. God help me if I miss the zandatsu.

I found out that actually attacking the Vodomjerkas/striders is a pretty bad idea, it's better to run away to bait their charge attack. If you perfect parry it (which is fairly simple) they'll get stunned and you'll be able to unleash the roundhouse kick of god which kills everything in one hit.

Regiruler

I assumed it was a balancing thing.
What they were trying to balance was beyond me though. Maybe subweapon quickswitch was a bit overpowered.

DahBomb put together a good post on the general flow of the game's combat, but I can't seem to find it.

Here is a post with my general tips for newcomers:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

For the part that you're on, I can only assume you're talking about the shield cutting portion of a boss fight. The game wants you to Slice in Blade mode along the three red boxes. After you've separated the shield, it wants you to cut the two blue-hued wire-arms in Blade Mode without touching any of the shields.

Grenades have very specific purposes. You shouldn't be using rocket launchers or grenades in regular combat, as the game isn't built around those. Ninja running is very useful for fleeing and blocking bullets, but should only be otherwise used sparingly in combat... such as when closing distance to an enemy.

So in the tutorial Dok says to parry by pushing in the direction of the attack, but parrying is apparently in the direction on the enemy. This probably explains why I miss every horizontal attack parry.

Regiruler

So in the tutorial Dok says to parry by pushing in the direction of the attack, but parrying is apparently in the direction on the enemy. This probably explains why I miss every horizontal attack parry.

I just parry in the direction of the red cursor and it usually works.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

They're usually the same thing, but some people were having issues parrying Metal Gear Ray's tail swipe when the game first came out because they were trying to parry in the direction the tail was coming from. It's a subtle difference because the attack is originating in front of you, even if it hits on the side.

The red flash, as Regiruler said, is a good indication of the direction, I think.

popyea

Because then you could use it as a really primitive weapon-switcher which however useful, would turn combat into a stop-start fest. Seems more like a band-aid fix done simply because they couldn't include a proper weapon switching mechanic like Bayonetta.

Sub_Level

Things that should be modded in:

Playable Sam in Raiden's story/levels
Playable Blade Wolf in Raiden's story/levels
Actual boss rush mode
Weapon swaps on the fly without pausing the game

Those would make it complete, IMO.

Realtime weapon change is only possible on PS3 tho.

Yah really brought down the game... I think they did it though to make the transition from crazy action game easier for MGS fans. But the problem with the way the sub-weapon system is setup is your light attack is always tied to your primary sword, and you have only 2 combos for lights... This sucks when you are using the sai's because it becomes pretty boring (or the pinzers)..

Clawww

the weapons are one of those massive disappointments for me in the game that I'm assuming 1) were due to how fast the game was made/earlier development troubles 2) will be executed better in a sequel. I find myself feeling pretty lenient towards the shortcomings in general for those reasons, and also because the game is just charming and exciting as fuck

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
the weapons are one of those massive disappointments for me in the game that I'm assuming will be executed better in a sequel. I find myself feeling pretty lenient towards the shortcomings in general for that reason, and also because the game is just charming and exciting as fuck

I agree. The game wasn't really balanced around the subweapons very well, and some felt a little half baked. They were fun, interesting, and diverse, though.

Dahbomb

It's probably a balance decision, other games have done this before. Like in DMC1 you couldn't change weapons from the menu until you were grounded. Or it's more likely a RAM limitation, which is why not every action game has on the fly weapon swap.

The camera is pretty bad but the parry system is fairly straight forward.

You parry in the direction of the opponent. The first step is to learn how to block and how to block multiple attacks. You can literally just mash light attack plus keep flicking the stick towards the opponent to force yourself to block. You won't get perfect parries but you will at least block stuff. Once you get a hang of blocking then you move on to perfect parry which is timed with the opponent's attack (when it's about to hit you although for some attack its sooner and some attacks can't be perfect parried).

Don't bother with the sub weapon system except for very specific areas. Try to fight everything with the basic sword as much as you can without using any items (even healing items). That's really the only way it will click. Try to perfect parry every red flash attack and dodge every yellow attack.

Your basic goal for this game is the following:

*Disable the opponent so that you have a Zandatsu opportunity. This is usually possible with a perfect parry or properly dismantling an opponent.

*Perfect parry as much as you can. Block every red attack. If you feel like you cannot block something because your camera orientation isn't correct, go for a dodge always. Yellow attacks have to be dodged, just time it so that you use the invulnerability frames.

*Learn to do Ninja run into slide into immediately Blade mode to quickly take out small fry opponents who like to sit back and shoot rockets/bullets. They are #1 priority targets in a group as are flying targets. You basically work up the threat scale... you try to kill the easy targets as fast as possible and then save the toughest guy for last.

*You need to learn the signs for when you can do Blade mode into Zandatsu opportunity. Usually there's a slow down or a haze/blur on the screen which is your cue. Common Blade mode cues are after a Palm strike, the 4th hit of an air combo or the slide. Starting out your way to play the game shouldn't be "how should I kill this opponent" but rather "how should I rip out his spine".

*Ninja Run to dodge small projectiles and to make space or gain better position. Don't be afraid to jump out of trouble either, you can Parry in mid air and in some situations that is the best option because enemies like Gekko are hard to hit with the parry on the ground (aerial parry has a bit more range).

*Use Blade mode to get out of bad situations or high recovery moves. Just tap the Blade mode button after a high recovery move. Usually you throw out a slash and it lingers out, you aren't sure if the parry will come out so it's better to go into Blade mode very briefly to sort of reset yourself and then go from there.

*When you have dealt with the long ranged projectile enemies, the rest of the fight is keeping track of enemy attacks and holding your ground while maintaining best camera viewpoint. Positioning is key, if you get cornered you are done in this game. Don't go for wild swings unless you are sure they will hit (most enemies block, some can even parry you).

Rnr1224

Just beat the game and all that's going through my head was "holy shit!" That last boos battle was amazing and epic beyond words! I'm still blown away!

This is me right now during the credits
Bravest-Warriors-season2.-Horse.jpg

Sub_Level

I agree. The game wasn't really balanced around the subweapons very well, and some felt a little half baked. They were fun, interesting, and diverse, though.

That honestly goes in line with the rest of the series too. Hell, MGS4 had like 70 weapons not including attachment loadouts, it's not like all of those were unique and useful.

Teknoman

Nothing like doing a double zandatsu after a perfect parry.

Just beat the game and all that's going through my head was "holy shit!" That last boos battle was amazing and epic beyond words! I'm still blown away!

This is me right now during the credits
Bravest-Warriors-season2.-Horse.jpg

You've been Platinumed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That honestly goes in line with the rest of the series too. Hell, MGS4 had like 70 weapons not including attachment loadouts, it's not like all of those were unique and useful.

That's comparing apples to oranges, though. For one thing, this isn't Metal Gear Solid. For another, alternate weapons in a character action game =/= guns in a shooter/stealth hybrid.

By the way, in the Jetstream DLC Sam can charge his blade mode attacks (hold down an attack button) and Zandatsu enemies from a very long distance.

The implementation is clunky as fuck and its use is a bit awkward but boy is it badass to do.

Sub_Level

That's comparing apples to oranges, though. For one thing, this isn't Metal Gear Solid. For another, alternate weapons in a character action game =/= guns in a shooter/stealth hybrid.

I'm not so much comparing the games as I'm comparing the perceived "extraneousness" of a lot of the armory in each respective game. Playboy books, for example, were a novelty item I only used in a couple MGS2 vr missions across all MGS games. Likewise, the girly holograms in Rising share that same novelty status. Useful maybe here, maybe there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not so much comparing the games as I'm comparing the perceived "extraneousness" of a lot of the armory in each respective game. Playboy books, for example, were a novelty item I only used in a couple MGS2 vr missions across all MGS games. Likewise, the girly holograms in Rising share that same novelty status. Useful maybe here, maybe there.

Yeah, but we're talking about the actual weapons, like the staff, sai, and pincer blades. Those aren't in the same category as "extras". Those are potentially substantial contributions to the overall combat. The usefulness and balance of those components are something that's simply more important given the genre.

Top Bottom