• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but is it possible to make the game run at 120fps? I prefer a higher frame rate over a higher resolution personally.

Here are my tips for the final boss:

*You gotta learn all of his attacks as they all do crazy amounts of damage.

*There are 3 types of lava attacks. The basic rule of thumb for dodging these moves is that you want to Ninja run at mid range (not too close and not too far away) while having him locked on so that you are circling him. This dodges all of his lava attacks, you can add in a jump for extra security. He has a non permanent lava attack which he can do twice in a row so be careful of that, just always expect. The one where he marks the ground with fire and you have to stand at a specific spot... always look for a dash in attack after that, he loves to be sneaky with that shit.

*When he is not doing that attack you want to be up close and personal against him. You want to do a couple slashes in front of him just to get his AI going. Rule of thumb against the final boss is that you always want to be attacking him head on... not behind him. When you attack him from behind he does this burst attack that is unblockable and hard to get out of... you need a well timed dodge or you need to ninja run away and both are easy to mess up which is why you need to keep attacking him front the front so that this option of his is minimized. The other back move he likes to do is his turn around punch which you can just block, it's nothing special. Some of his regular attacks may seem unblockable but if there's a red flash you can block it. Only exception are the lava burst attacks which seem like he has a red flash but you don't want to try to block them.

*All of his basic melee attacks should be blocked as he likes to do combo attacks so if you dodge them he might do a second attack that might catch you off guard. After his basic attacks, wait a bit until his nano armor goes away then attack... if you counter attack too early you will hit his armor and lose out on valuable damage. His running grab attack you need to dodge, you need to dodge that late because if you do it early he will come around and grab you anyway.

*He has a running charge attack that sets up a QTE where you lose your sword. You have to dodge this when the game slows down and it's essential that you do.

*When he starts throwing debris just ninja run under it. If you are low on nano paste then you can cut up the debris but I generally play MGR without nano paste and my slicing skills suck so I skill the debris.

*During the healing phase go around him and slash his back in Blade mode then go to town on him for big damage.

*The launcher kick is effective against him for some reason.

Thx for all this, will give it a shot. Is it possible that I'm underpowered? As in, started on hard so I don't have all the BP if I had run on normal and then new game plus'd on hard to keep building stats?

Hypron

Thx for all this, will give it a shot. Is it possible that I'm underpowered? As in, started on hard so I don't have all the BP if I had run on normal and then new game plus'd on hard to keep building stats?

Nah the game is perfectly beatable on hard in NG, lots of people have done that. Having a +5 murasame blade makes the fight a complete joke on hard difficulty anyway, so I don't think platinum intended people to play normal first.

Sam > Raiden.. I love his moves and how he carries his sword like a samurai.. I want more of him! I can't wait to play through the VR missions!

Dahbomb

As long as you put in some points in Strength for your main sword you should be fine. Stats aren't a problem, even if you had a lot of health you would still get 2-3 shotted by him. You just gotta learn those attack patterns.

And something bad just happened to me. I beat the game yesterday but today I loaded it up and it started me at File 5. I don't know if people have checked how saving works in different computers but my save file didn't carry over. I wonder if this is a known issue.

Edit: Yup I confirmed it. I have the achievement for beating File 06 but my save file puts me at the start of File 05. This is lame as fuck.. I don't want to fight fucking Excelsior again!

Nah the game is perfectly beatable on hard in NG, lots of people have done that. Having a +5 murasame blade makes the fight a complete joke on hard difficulty anyway, so I don't think platinum intended people to play normal first.

Got it, thx. I have just never hit a curve like this in a game. The rest of hard wasn't bad at all but I ran for prolly 2.5 hrs today and didn't feel like I was learning more or getting closer, which rarely happens in most games. Idk how this fight goes on Revengeance but I'm assuming he farts, you die.

Hypron

oh jesus. VR2 for sam is fucking killing me, they keep tossing me off the platform.

For the first part of the fight, use the run + Y attack to push the soldiers off the platform. For the second part, taunt the sliders, after that you can kill them in one hit which makes the fight a lot easier.

popyea

The final boss is Platinum's best final boss imo. It beautifully straddles the line between spectacular overpowered foe and tense duel battle. By which I mean, there's a good mix of arena filling spectacle and close-quarters block-hit-dodge gameplay. Love the pace of the preceding cutscene as well, it's satisfyingly drawn out.

Dahbomb

Got it, thx. I have just never hit a curve like this in a game. The rest of hard wasn't bad at all but I ran for prolly 2.5 hrs today and didn't feel like I was learning more or getting closer, which rarely happens in most games. Idk how this fight goes on Revengeance but I'm assuming he farts, you die.
You just can't get hit. You gotta learn those attack patterns like it's a life or death situation. When you start playing like every hit could be your last, then you will improve.

And don't be fooled by his life bar... it shows that he has 200% health but the main fight is just the first 30-40% of his health bar. If you can make it to the part where he starts throwing debris... you are like 90% on your way to crushing him.

The final boss is Platinum's best final boss imo. It beautifully straddles the line between spectacular overpowered foe and tense duel battle. By which I mean, there's a good mix of arena filling spectacle and close-quarters block-hit-dodge gameplay. Love the pace of the preceding cutscene as well, it's satisfyingly drawn out.

It's a shame Jeanne isn't the final boss in Bayonetta... That'd have easily clinched the title if it was so.

Permanently A

For the first part of the fight, use the run + Y attack to push the soldiers off the platform. For the second part, taunt the sliders, after that you can kill them in one hit which makes the fight a lot easier.

just managed to beat it, good advice. thank you.

Ok what the fuck. Got to the boss fight with Sam, and the parry system seems to have completely fucked up. I move towards him and press square, and Raiden won't fucking parry more than half the time. When I disarm him, he keeps running towards me and slamming me into the ground. Sometimes Raiden will block, other times, he'll just slide towards him like a fucking idiot, and get his head pounded again. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the piece of shit camera system. Try using the dodge move, get my head pounded. Try ninja running. Head pounded. Try jumping. Head pounded. Fucking pain in the ass.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ok what the fuck. Got to the boss fight with Sam, and the parry system seems to have completely fucked up. I move towards him and press square, and Raiden won't fucking parry more than half the time. When I disarm him, he keeps running towards me and slamming me into the ground. Sometimes Raiden will block, other times, he'll just slide towards him like a fucking idiot, and get his head pounded again. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the piece of shit camera system.

Your timing is off. Especially with the grabs. That's all it can be, since Raiden will only slide towards him if you got the direction right, so your timing isn't right.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All that shit about memes is really lame.

Metal Gear has been using the term since Metal Gear Solid 2. For what it's worth, they mean the original interpretation of "meme", and not shit like doge and trollface.

EDIT: Oh, finished the Sam DLC. Only finished it once on PS3. Camera at its worth. God good, it's awful at times.

Anteater

"Now you're just being nasty, hahahahahahaha"

homer-laugh.gifwkjvf.gif

antitrop

Metal Gear has been using the term since Metal Gear Solid 2. For what it's worth, they mean the original interpretation of "meme", and not shit like doge and trollface.
Yeah, I'm familiar with Dawkins. I just think the speeches about it by
Monsoon and Armstrong
are kind of lame.

Revven

The final boss in MGR actually earns the title of "final boss".

It really does, I spent over 2 hours on it then took a break and returned to it at a later time where it only then took me like three more tries. (This was on Hard on my first playthrough on PS3 and I didn't have any nanopastes + I was awful at cutting the rocks so I tended to run past them).

I felt so satisfied when I beat him, probably the only final boss I've felt so accomplished from beating in years. MGR doesn't get enough credit for being what all games should strive for at the end of a game, IMO, a satisfying ending -- like you actually went through something so hard and feel amazing after getting through it.

Your timing is off. Especially with the grabs. That's all it can be, since Raiden will only slide towards him if you got the direction right, so your timing isn't right.

Haven't had this problem anywhere else in the game. I'm pressing the buttons after the red light flashes, and he's not fucking doing anything. Before that, I was either blocking or getting perfect parries.

antitrop

Yea, he was good. Frustrating, but good. I still liked fighting Sam though. He is really Raiden's arch-rival.

I liked the appropriate sentimentality after the conclusion. Bladewolf is also an awesome companion, I'm glad they put him into the story like that after the beginning.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Haven't had this problem anywhere else in the game. I'm pressing the buttons after the red light flashes, and he's not fucking doing anything. Before that, I was either blocking or getting perfect parries.

He has four or five different variations of his slash combos, so if you're trying to time them the same way, it won't work. Try not to press the button immediately after the red light flashes, either. With the grab, you need to parry as he's rushing towards you.

Zeliard

EDIT: Oh, finished the Sam DLC. Only finished it once on PS3. Camera at its worth. God good, it's awful at times.

Camera brings the game down a bit for me, despite how good the combat otherwise is. It might be the worst camera I've experienced since Bully, and in a fast-paced action game like this that's pretty damaging.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just finished my second playthrough. This time on Hard. Sam was so much easier, as was the final boss. And I finished it about 90 minutes faster than my original playthrough.

I never used the drum can in MGS4 other than for trolling CQC lobbies in Metal Gear Online, but I use it quite a bit in this game.

Felt pretty amazing just barely getting to absorb an enemy at 0.4% health. Yeah I had medkits, but its the style that counts.

antitrop

Camera brings the game down a bit for me, despite how good the combat otherwise is. It might be the worst camera I've experienced since Bully, and in a fast-paced action game like this that's pretty damaging.

You know what, I would have to say that I've had less frustration fighting this camera than in, say... Devil May Cry 1. There was nothing worse in that game than having the fixed camera angle automatically switch and have the directional controls change instantly. Didn't affect combat, but made traversing in that game an absolute chore.

Regiruler

Just finished my second playthrough. This time on Hard. Sam was so much easier, as was the final boss. And I finished it about 90 minutes faster than my original playthrough.

I never used the drum can in MGS4 other than for trolling CQC lobbies in Metal Gear Online, but I use it quite a bit in this game.

Is there an actual difference between the drum can and the cardboard box?

I didn't have a huge problem with the camera. At a point I got good at listening to audio/shadow clues.

The camera seems way too energetic than it should be. Especially with how enemies try to encircle Raiden pretty often, it goes nuts trying to pick one to give you a good view of when instead it'd be more intuitive for it to just pull out a little bit.

Anteater

It's probably one of the action games I actually hate the camera, I didn't with most of the games I've played before even when people do complain about them, there are just so many corridor sections and debris in this game and there are many directional attacks that would move the enemies off screen, plus the game is heavily dependent on parrying that requires you to press a direction+attack towards an enemy, and I think the camera is a lot more zoomed in too than other action games.

The biggest problem with the camera is that it constantly feels too close to Raiden, he blocks a large part of the screen and your field of view is limited. Having the camera centered instead of over the shoulder might have helped as well.

pa22word

Anyone else had problems getting the game to work fullscreen at 1920x1080? The highest res I can force it to run in FS mode is 1650xsomething, and it ends up over scanning like 1/3 of the screen when I do it o_O.

I ended up running my desktop in 1440p and running the game in a window at 1080p in order to get things running decently, but still it's weird I'm having this issue.

Running a 780+i7 960 if that helps.

ShaunBRS

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but is it possible to make the game run at 120fps? I prefer a higher frame rate over a higher resolution personally.

Not yet. I had a crack at figuring it out today but no dice. Dario ff and FtsH are getting somewhere with the resolution at least.

antitrop

I quite honestly couldn't care one way or another because Monsoon is my favorite boss fight in the game.

Oh, yeah, as I stated before, the cutscene before that fight is one of my all-time favorite gaming cinematics, despite the heavy-handed meme speech.

Really, I think
Armstrong's mention of it was really lame, though. Like, I get that memes could be Monsoon's thing, but when Armstrong just starts rambling about it, I was like "Ugh".

Clawww

meh, I'll take pontification about memes over the typical supervillain spiels. not that they're far off from each other.

Still remembering Mariachi Raiden and how he thought it was the best fucking disguise ever LOL

as for the meme stuff i was surprised to see it mentioned though to be fair there was a decent amount of stuff referenced from MGS 2

SoundLad

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there an enemy list with weaknesses and execution move requirements available anywhere?

Enjoying the game a lot more than I anticipated, battle system is god tier. Listened to the soundtrack before trying the game and thought it was puke, turns out it goes absolutely perfect with the gameplay and find myself with tingles at the back of my neck during intense moments - mostly due to the soundtrack! Love it

antitrop

Still remembering Mariachi Raiden and how he thought it was the best fucking disguise ever LOL

as for the meme stuff i was surprised to see it mentioned though to be fair there was a decent amount of stuff referenced from MGS 2
I've spent the last 12 years of my life trying to forget Metal Gear Solid 2. I'm not what you would call a fan of that franchise.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It's real super bad terrible awfulness because a fundamental part of the combat itself is tied to the perspective. In something like Bayo, unless you're using certain items, you can still get away with all your combos and dodges no matter how fudged up the camera is. Here you need a reliable perspective so you can properly time the correct parry directions.

I think everybody who's played the game will have been locked in a stun and deal significant damage simply because the camera spun around unpredictably and fucked up their parry.

Regiruler

I think everybody who's played the game will have been locked in a stun and deal significant damage simply because the camera spun around unpredictably and fucked up their parry.

Mine hasn't ever? Maybe it's because I extensively use lock-on.
The only complaints I have is that it's occasionally too hard to track stuff offscreen or behind you, but that's a gaming skill I needed to learn.

Top Bottom