• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I simply cannot find any fun in the gameplay of MGR. The camera is one of the worst I've experienced in a long time combined with the very strange parry system. I'm up to the helipad fight on top of skyscraper and I simply cannot figure out how it wants me to aim the sword.

Reading through this thread I feel like one of those people that didn't "get" Dark Souls. I can only assume I'm doing something horribly wrong with all the love the game is getting, but I just cannot get it to work.

For me, this game is the parry system. So yeah, if you're not into that I don't know that the Metal Gear setting alone is good enough to warrant your time (although there are some cool-ass bosses). I'd kinda suggest doing some VR missions to familiarize yourself with the parry.
You didn't get Dark Souls? You have no hope!

Helipad boss fight, you gotta hit all the zandatsu-points in a single swing. Use right stick to manually adjust sword till they are all going 'ping!' and release.

Miker

My first run through on hard:

vorsHQy.jpg

Could've been worse. I think I used a lot of continues on Sam because I had only one nanopaste; otherwise, I think my continues would be around 10 or so, if not fewer.

Overall, I loved it, and it would've been my GOTY of 2013 had I played it last year. I don't have much else to add that people haven't already discussed. Put me in the camp of the final boss fight being stupid awesome, and the Zandatsu/debris sections pretty manageable if you're decent with blade mode controls.

Also, reading up on the game on wiki, I found out that the Desperado bosses are called the Winds of Destruction because they're all named after a different kind of wind current. I had no idea, and the game is even more awesome and Metal Gear-esque now that I know their names share a theme.

Jintor

Yeah, but we're talking about the actual weapons, like the staff, sai, and pincer blades. Those aren't in the same category as "extras". Those are potentially substantial contributions to the overall combat. The usefulness and balance of those components are something that's simply more important given the genre.

Would've killed for a quick swap a la bayonetta

Just beat it on Hard. No problems really until that very last boss. He honestly felt a bit cheap. Got it done, but it was a bitch of a fight. All-in-all a great action game. A solid 7.5/10. The camera is the worst enemy you have in the game. It's fuckin' terrible, which is a shame as the mechanics of the cutting and fighting are a ton of fun. Great ride.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yeah, but we're talking about the actual weapons, like the staff, sai, and pincer blades. Those aren't in the same category as "extras". Those are potentially substantial contributions to the overall combat. The usefulness and balance of those components are something that's simply more important given the genre.

Oh shit I never actually used any of those. Had no idea they were classified in the same category as subweapons, thought you just switched your sword out for them.

Yeah they are most certainly underbaked compared to their peers. I remember seeing a comparison pic between the MGR Sais and the Vigoorian Flails in NG2. The Sais have like 2 or 3 moves and the Flails had like 30+ lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh shit I never actually used any of those. Had no idea they were classified in the same category as subweapons, thought you just switched your sword out for them.

Yeah they are most certainly underbaked compared to their peers. I remember seeing a comparison pic between the MGR Sais and the Vigoorian Flails in NG2. The Sais have like 2 or 3 moves and the Flails had like 30+ lol

Sorry, I called them Subweapons, but I think they're actually classified in the game as Main weapons. They only swap out your Y attacks, though.

Dahbomb

Number of moves doesn't matter especially when most of them are vanilla moves you would only use in style videos.... not in actual combat.

Also the extra weapons in MGR are sub/secondary weapons rather than main weapons. They are similar to the secondaries in Darksiders 2 (in fact its the exact same concept). You can't compare Flails to Sais for example, one is a main weapon and another is a secondary. You only have one main weapon in MGR.

Blade Wolf's VA = Mordin Solus' VA.

I don't even.
Raiden's VA is MISTER SIR HENRY MOTHERFUCKER from No More Heroes too.

You slide into your landing on the final area of the Mistral fight, explosions in the background, everything's on fire. Mistral's facing you with a few Dwarf Gekkos behind her, brandishing L'Etranger as a polearm.

"This ends now!"

She coils it then cracks it as a whip.

I finally found what I~ was looooooking for
sogood.gif

Wow, the Sam fight was remarkably easy, if not a hell of a lot of fun. Easiest boss in the entire game, by far. At least on Hard.
Nah, Sundowner. Even when you don't skip his shield pattern through Defensive Offense dodging.

Just finished my second playthrough. This time on Hard. Sam was so much easier, as was the final boss. And I finished it about 90 minutes faster than my original playthrough.

I never used the drum can in MGS4 other than for trolling CQC lobbies in Metal Gear Online, but I use it quite a bit in this game.
Obligatory pitch to sell you on the omnipotence that is Metal Gear Rising's drum can.

SHAZOOM

All right, fixed the issue. Apparently the game doesn't like my multimonitor setup or being in fullscreen. Went windowed and now I can play on high settings at 60hz.

Also beat Armstrong easy peasy.

Clawww

Number of moves doesn't matter especially when most of them are vanilla moves you would only use in style videos.... not in actual combat.

Also the extra weapons in MGR are sub/secondary weapons rather than main weapons. They are similar to the secondaries in Darksiders 2 (in fact its the exact same concept). You can't compare Flails to Sais for example, one is a main weapon and another is a secondary. You only have one main weapon in MGR.

right, but even within MGR, your default/footsword heavy has a vastly larger moveset than its replacements. there's not all that much you can do with just light attacks, too, so it really leaves you feeling kinda underwhelmed in terms of combo/attack options.

Druz

All right, fixed the issue. Apparently the game doesn't like my multimonitor setup or being in fullscreen. Went windowed and now I can play on high settings at 60hz.

Also beat Armstrong easy peasy.

im multimonitor fullscreen at 100hz windows 8.1

SHAZOOM

im multimonitor fullscreen at 100hz windows 8.1

I'm actually HDMI outing to my 55 inch TV. So it's only on my TV at fullscreen 1920x1080 that it turns it down to 24 hz. I opened up my other monitors and its still 60hz on windowed .

Anyways, I'll have to look at how to force it at 60hz at some point, unless that's already been covered.

Amazing how I've had no problems with the camera in the console version but here it's like I'm fighting with another enemy alongside 3 robot-gorillas.

The camera is unbelievably bad. It just boggles my mind how shitty it really is. On Very Hard difficulties, being near a wall is a damn near death sentence.

wanders

You slide into your landing on the final area of the Mistral fight, explosions in the background, everything's on fire. Mistral's facing you with a few Dwarf Gekkos behind her, brandishing L'Etranger as a polearm.

"This ends now!"

She coils it then cracks it as a whip.

I finally found what I~ was looooooking for

Hair undone <3

antitrop

Final boss is kicking my ass and I'm loving every moment of it.

VIOLENCE BREEDS VIOLENCE, BUT IN THE END IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY

BPoole

Just finished thr game. The final boss wasn't that hard once I figured out I could stop his regenerating and get a huge combo in.

feel

If the mouse cursor during menus and codec annoys you as much as it annoys me, use an application called AutoHideMouseCursor to make it go away after 2 seconds when not moving it, just start the small .exe before booting the game, not the most elegant solution but it works well!

Permanently A

Suddenly, nanomachines have given Armstrong the ability to telepathically lift massive vehicles into the air and spontaneously combust them in Sam's DLC.

Jintor

If the mouse cursor during menus and codec annoys you as much as it annoys me, use an application called AutoHideMouseCursor to make it go away after 2 seconds when not moving it, just start the small .exe before booting the game, not the most elegant solution but it works well!

I hope to god they patch it. It's irritating as fuck.

Suddenly, nanomachines have given Armstrong the ability to telepathically lift massive vehicles into the air and spontaneously combust them in Sam's DLC.

Lorenz force, Jack! Nature's force!!!

Hypron

How do you stop the regeneration? =/

If you go in blade mode while behind him you'll see a red box on his back. Hit that and he'll be stunned. If you don't have enough energy to go into slow-mo blade mode, you're not screwed though, aim at the source of the green energy and it should work as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So apparently the Snake blade is in the game, and can be used by editing some hex variable?

demidar

really wish there was a way to map attacking in blade mode to like right trigger.

'letting go' of the stick to attack manually just feels super weird :(

You can just press square/X to horizontally slice and triangle/Y to vertically slice (first slice in Blade Mode always follows your aiming if you use buttons). Or is that not enough?

You can just press square/X to horizontally slice and triangle/Y to vertically slice (first slice in Blade Mode always follows your aiming if you use buttons). Or is that not enough?

oh, didn't know that. thought it was always just random horrizontal/vertical slices.

still, that would require me to move hands off both sticks.

:(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What is the snake blade?

When the VR mission pack came out in Japan it also included a bonus weapon, a wooden sword imbued with the spirit of Solid Snake, which would apparently play Sonic Snake quotes / commentary when you used it. They never bothered with an English/Hayter version though, so we never got it officially on any platform.

Apparently it is in the game's files, and can be activated via some hex edit.

McNum

When he runs up to the top of the arena and throws the giant thing at you instead of avoiding it go into blade mode and cut the paths it tells you to and it'll drop 4 or 5 pastes.
And if you get these, call Courtney immediately and save the game. It updates the checkpoint so if you die, you'll start the fight with the nanopastes.

zhorkat

Just finished up R-03. That
Monsoon
boss fight was awesome. Definitely the best boss fight so far. Except for that one moment where Raiden was standing in a corner and the camera decided to be useless. This game's camera is actively trying to make me dislike the game. :(

Anteater

It sometimes feel like the red flashes throws you off more than helping.

*flashes*

*enemy charges forever*

*enemy does a quick stab attack*

Top Bottom