• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

BPoole

I thought the whole final boss sequence was pretty weak, aside from
cutting up Exelsus with its own 100 foot-long blade.

Surprisingly, nothing topped how ridiculous the Ray finisher was.
Raiden standing on top of a jet flying head first into another jet with his sword held out in front of him was pretty goddamn ridiculous

Anteater

metalgearrisingrevengwifus.jpg

god damn it film grain

Jintor

Trying to No-Damage Monsoon must be like a minor circle of hell or something. Fucking long-string combos where the camera slowly drifts off course so the input motion needs to change, but you can't quite tell where... gotta get me some pincer blades.

Well, it's a optional bonus fight

Besides, it's pretty easy to stealth kill those three mastiffs; just learn their pattern and backstab them

Dude, I get pissed off at Batman's little 3-second wiping-his-gloves routine he does when you restart a challenge room. Those 3 goddamn mastiffs is like a hot branding iron in the side of my face.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So, first time players, how would you rank this game among other 2013 releases you had played?

Good game with some serious flaws. Camera is embarrassingly poor, the frequent codecs/cut-scenes are awful, and some of the most annoying enemies around.

McNum

Well, I took a chance and double dipped, or actually triple dipped, if you count the PS+ version.

I had my doubts if my PC could handle it since those minimum specs were kind of daunting, but while it may not be a solid 60, it runs much, much better than expected. Kudos to the PC conversion on that.

I started a new game on Hard, because I'm pretty sure that even with no equipment, I'd breeze through Normal after already playing the game quite a bit on PS3. Hard is nice, I can use the skills I have from playing on PS3, but if I mess up, there's a beating coming Raiden's way. Just gotta get used to playing on a 360 controller instead of a Dualshock3.

So far the Prologue and Chapter 1 are done. Next up... Chapter 2 and all the exciting new enemies it introduces. Like Mastiffs. I'm honestly more afraid of those than any boss fight coming up.

grimmiq

I've been stuck on 2nd last boss for a couple of hours now on hard >< 0 repair gel so I'm just constantly reloading over and over and over, got to the 2nd phase checkpoint..but I can't get him below 30%, I think I'm done for the night. Probably made this much harder on myself by spending 200k on the fox blade instead of upgrading 1 weapon a lot.

Here I am thinking I'm hot shit for breezing through Hard mode, only to start up Sam's DLC and be creamed about ten times in a row by Blade Wolf. Talk about throwing you in at the deep end :p

It's bloody amazing, though. It's one of the best kind of fights in action games, where you and the enemy are constantly up in eachother's grills, ducking and weaving and getting a quick slice in here and there, dodging at the last possible moment. Sam runs so fast, and those dodges are so beautiful, I'm having so much fun playing as him. I'm a total scrub, but I'm learning fast. I just realised he had an air dash, so I can't wait to see what shenanigans I can get up to with that.

Zomba13

Was there a code kicking around, for unlocking DLC? Also, does anyone know if it voids achievements?

Konami Code on title screen. Can still get achievements. Unlocks all chapters, difficulties, DLC and boss fights. Still have to unlock weapons, moves and other customisation options though.

-Digits-

This game has new game+ right? How does that work? Do you just chapter select the first chapter with a higher difficulty? When I select new game it warns me I'll lose all my upgrades.

Sykotik

This game has new game+ right? How does that work? Do you just chapter select the first chapter with a higher difficulty? When I select new game it warns me I'll lose all my upgrades.

Go to Story -> Chapter -> Change difficulty. You keep everything you have, that way.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Here I am thinking I'm hot shit for breezing through Hard mode, only to start up Sam's DLC and be creamed about ten times in a row by Blade Wolf. Talk about throwing you in at the deep end :p

It's bloody amazing, though. It's one of the best kind of fights in action games, where you and the enemy are constantly up in eachother's grills, ducking and weaving and getting a quick slice in here and there, dodging at the last possible moment. Sam runs so fast, and those dodges are so beautiful, I'm having so much fun playing as him. I'm a total scrub, but I'm learning fast. I just realised he had an air dash, so I can't wait to see what shenanigans I can get up to with that.

So it's not just me though lol.

Started Sams DLC on Hard and it's absolutely kicking my ass bigtime. It's like Platinum looked at MGRs main story mode on Hard and went 'lol' and raised the bar twofold for the DLC. Still enjoying it though and still haven't beaten Blade Wolf :p

So, first time players, how would you rank this game among other 2013 releases you had played?

It's easily one of my favorite games of the year. I wish I could have played it back during the console release hype, but getting to wait and play it with such good settings on PC is still wonderful. I can understand why other people wouldn't rank it as highly as I am currently since most of the shortcomings of this game just do not bother me (as an example: I think the story and dialogue are top fucking tier in a ridiculous, platinum-games style manner).

Once I finish it, I'll pass my full judgement, but it is shaping up to be one of my favorite games of all time.

I also will add, to anyone worrying about performance:

I get a solid 60 frames at 1080p settings. I have blade mode turned to medium and antialiasing turned to x2. Everything else is maxed. Slowdown only occurs during blade mode sequences with over 250 parts (it can dip to about 45 frames) but it bounces right back for gameplay.

Hardware is a stock i52500k, gtx 570 with 1280 MB RAM. Runs beautifully.

He has four or five different variations of his slash combos, so if you're trying to time them the same way, it won't work. Try not to press the button immediately after the red light flashes, either. With the grab, you need to parry as he's rushing towards you.

Finally managed to do it, the problem was the direction I was pushing the stick in. I was pushing it towards him before, then I tried pushing it to the right or left, and that worked. So does that mean there's no diagonal parrying? Seriously, having a weird parry system that relies on a shitty camera is not a great idea.

Regarding performance, the game runs at a locked 60fps for me, but there's still some weird stuttering at some points, even though fraps doesn't show any frame drops.

Regiruler

On the mission finish screen for blade wolf, it mentions "hunt kills". What exactly are they, as it always seems to be 0?

EDIT: I think we should keep the bosses for Blade Wolf and Jetstream under spoiler tags.

wsippel

Banned
I give up. Getting to Armstrong wasn't too hard, killing him seems impossible. His instakill move is frustrating to no end. Doesn't help that some of the red boxes are always off-screen no matter what I do with the camera, which means I never know if I actually hit all of them. I never do, of course. First Platinum game I won't finish I guess.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I give up. Getting to Armstrong wasn't too hard, killing him seems impossible. His instakill move is frustrating to no end. Doesn't help that some of the red boxes are always off-screen no matter what I do with the camera, which means I never know if I actually hit all of them. I never do, of course. First Platinum game I won't finish I guess.

Dodge his attacks, the I-frames prevent him from hitting you with anything while you chip at him.

When he throws that Zandatsu attack thing at you, Ninja Run toward him and wait for him to drop back down to continue to I-frame abuse.

wsippel

Banned
Dodge his attacks, the I-frames prevent him from hitting you with anything while you chip at him.

When he throws that Zandatsu attack thing at you, Ninja Run toward him and wait for him to drop back down to continue to I-frame abuse.
So it's possible to avoid the Zandatsu instakill sequence altogether?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So it's possible to avoid the Zandatsu instakill sequence altogether?

Yep! When he throws stuff just run forwards and under where he is. The only thing that makes it harder is if you have no health packs going into the fight as the zandatsu part drops them for you.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any new things in this port? Only played the first chapter so far, but heard something about zangeki cutting or something.

Nibel

Where is your spirit man?!

You can do it, learn his attacks and try it again

-Digits-

You can move around in blade mode if you click the left stick. Also, you don't actually have to line up all the boxes for it count as a successful slice. As long as you have a box or two lit up you can press light attack and it should work.

Also just out of curiosity: is there a fix for the screen going black when using an HDMI cable? When using my native res of 1080 the screen goes black and says mode not supported. Just wondering if there is a workaround.

Well GAF, four hours later, beat Armstrong on Hard. Honestly felt a bit more lucky than accomplished but done and done. A couple things though

Fuck that camera
Fuck that camera
It's kinda dumb that you can cheese the debris part w/ ninja run when blade mode is a core mechanic
Fuck that camera

Gonna circle back through normal to pick up some BP and then very hard I guess.

I don't think I've ever played a video game where it took me four hours to figure out a final boss. It's a pretty badass game tho.

Edit: thx to everyone that helped out with pointers. Greatly appreciated.

Thorgal

MGE... With zero health kits.

I can't dodge his attacks..

I do agree with this. It seemingly has a mind of it's own. When are devs gonna let the camera go free, and let us control the damn thing ourselves?

Don't try to dodge those .

Believe it or not, but you can parry them .

Also if you get to the part where you slice one of his legs of , you get a checkpoint .

Had no problems with any of the bosses on Hard, but I'm at my 30th attempt on Armstrong. I can't cut the rocks in time, and the homing fire f's me up. Oh well. I'll keep trying. Wish I had some healing kits.

Thorgal

Had no problems with any of the bosses on Hard, but I'm at my 30th attempt on Armstrong. I can't cut the rocks in time, and the homing fire f's me up. Oh well. I'll keep trying. Wish I had some healing kits.

You can actually skip that part entirely .

Just ninja run right underneath those boulders he's throwing .

As for healing kits . ironically you get those for slicing those boulders .

legacyzero

Banned
It's the dodge. If you haven't bought it yet, get it now!

Don't try to dodge those .

Believe it or not, but you can parry them .

Also if you get to the part where you slice one of his legs of , you get a checkpoint .

It's a skill you purchase in customize. By hitting light attack and jump simultaneously, you strike and dodge. Very handy.

Edit: Bahhhh

Ahhhh. Thanks! I'll look into that!

Top Bottom