• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

televator

Got the solar gun this morning. First time I ever bothered to... It was worth it. Using that thing is a blast. This is why I think trophies can be good for more than just the immediate gratification.

Duffyside

Banned
Good idea except the "You enjoy all the killing... that's why!" flashback won't activate while you are on the turret. You'll have to get off the turret and get another kill to activate the flashback

Ah, that's exactly what I was worried about. Great, thanks for the response!

Edit: Haha, you're my favorite poster of the month! As soon as I got off the turret and got a kill, bam! Trophy!

televator

Ah, my favorite boss fight completed again. I just wish it was a little bit harder. I am, of course, talking about REX vs. RAY. One you learn to just ram the heck out of RAY, though, it kind of becomes a pushover. (Pun not really intended at first, but now it is.) Still, fun fight, this is Metal Gear Solid boss fights when it's best. The trophy is amusing in the fight, too. Press Triangle to "LIQUID!" Just that final touch to make the fight a little more epic.

I really have no idea on how to get through the Scarab rooms undetected in Act 4, though. But on the plus side, +50 DP per Scarab. And I have a grenade launcher. Stealthy? No. Amusing? Yes.

In the first room (the hangar?), shoot and destroy a Scarab with a silenced gun while laying prone right in between the crack of the main doors. Once the mass of scarabs wakes up to investigate, plant a C4 right there where you were laying, and quickly sneak back under the truck just outside those doors. Once they all show up en mass in that same crack of those doors, let em have it with the C4. This way is both stealthy and fun! You can actually pick out a lot of scarabs from that position. Also, the "sleeping" scarabs you can actually just crawl right past them.

There's another room latter on, where there's a TOTAL blind spot for the scarabs. Simply jump over the railing and fall to an area with a panel right in the middle of it. There's also a small crack on the bottom of the wall that you can sneak under, but it's not important. You can pick off scarabs from this very spot and the patrolling scarabs never think of looking there. In fact, there's a spot right in front of this area where they all mass up into a cluster....this is why grenades were invented... I use a regular hand grenade and just laugh maniacally as the DP prompt goes crazy.

In the first room (the hangar?), shoot and destroy a Scarab with a silenced gun while laying prone right in between the crack of the main doors. Once the mass of scarabs wakes up to investigate, plant a C4 right there where you were laying, and quickly sneak back under the truck just outside those doors. Once they all show up en mass in that same crack of those doors, let em have it with the C4. This way is both stealthy and fun! You can actually pick out a lot of scarabs from that position. Also, the "sleeping" scarabs you can actually just crawl right past them.

There's another room latter on, where there's a TOTAL blind spot for the scarabs. Simply jump over the railing and fall to an area with a panel right in the middle of it. There's also a small crack on the bottom of the wall that you can sneak under, but it's not important. You can pick off scarabs from this very spot and the patrolling scarabs never think of looking there. In fact, there's a spot right in front of this area where they all mass up into a cluster....this is why grenades were invented... I use a regular hand grenade and just laugh maniacally as the DP prompt goes crazy.

The tank hangar, if you wait for the right moment, can be run straight through... from the front door to the canyon, no stopping

Jawmuncher

THe BB Unit Boss Fights are such letd down.
They remind me of the Peace Walker boss fights.

They fight themselves aren't bad, but the enemy itself is so uninteresting.
Its merely a obstacle in your way (which is every boss fight ever) but it's just so apprent here.

By far my biggest dissapointment in MGS4.
Wanted more Memorable bosses like in MGS1.

KAOz

Short bus special
Got the Crying Wolf smoke grenade and stun grenade trick to work. Need to perfect it for the Big Boss run.

Also, this Chicken Emblem run I'm doing is so boring! So fucking shit. Got Snake sitting still at the moment, and will need to do so for another 22 hours. FUCK!

Its merely a obstacle in your way (which is every boss fight ever) but it's just so apprent here.

Eh, MGS1 bosses were nothing special, except Psycho Mantis, really.

MGS2's Harrier, Rays, and Solidus were far more memorable to me.

And then there's MGS3's Ocelot, The End, The Boss. I think those were all pretty good.

Yeah, the B&Bs aren't really the greatest bosses in MGS4, but they aren't THAT bad. I enjoyed them, for the most part. I think Raging Raven was the worst one. Screaming Mantis was the best one. Then there's Rex vs. Ray and the Ocelot fight which are just awesome.

televator

The tank hangar, if you wait for the right moment, can be run straight through... from the front door to the canyon, no stopping

Yeah, I did that the first time I played it, but I liked clearing out rooms for exploration in subsequent play throughs. Scarabs can be annoying little bastards if you go off "the path".

Jawmuncher

Eh, MGS1 bosses were nothing special, except Psycho Mantis, really.

MGS2's Harrier, Rays, and Solidus were far more memorable to me.

And then there's MGS3's Ocelot, The End, The Boss. I think those were all pretty good.

Yeah, the B&Bs aren't really the greatest bosses in MGS4, but they aren't THAT bad. I enjoyed them, for the most part. I think Raging Raven was the worst one. Screaming Mantis was the best one. Then there's Rex vs. Ray and the Ocelot fight which are just awesome.

We definetly got some very different opinions here.
Since BB to me was the worse the franchise has offered ever.

I'd rank the boss battles honestly in the order the main canon games came out.
They do seem to get worse with every game aside from a few exceptions here and there, but im talking more in a general sense.

televator

You can tell that even Kojima thought they were lacking memorable appeal as they tacked on those sobs stories delivered by Drebin at the end of each fight. Of course, the sob stories just ended up being uninteresting and very boring themselves.

Zampano

Been playing through listening to the integral podcasts which has been fun. More games should do the commentary thing - Valve also do it well.

Also, Act III gets way too much hate. There's so much detail and atmosphere in there, and it's over pretty quickly if you don't like it.

Jawmuncher

You can tell that even Kojima thought they were lacking memorable appeal as they tacked on those sobs stories delivered by Drebin at the end of each fight. Of course, the sob stories just ended up being uninteresting and very boring themselves.

Definetly agree with that, they were a weak attempt to give them personality.

We definetly got some very different opinions here.
Since BB to me was the worse the franchise has offered ever.

I'd rank the boss battles honestly in the order the main canon games came out.
They do seem to get worse with every game aside from a few exceptions here and there, but im talking more in a general sense.

Which boss fights are you referring to?

IMO most of the boss fights in MGS1 have better versions of that same boss fight in later games.

The End > Sniper Wolf
Ocelot MGS3 > Ocelot MGS1
Rays > Rex
Liquid Ocelot MGS4 > Liquid melee fight MGS1
Harrier > Hind D by far

and this one is a stretch, comparing these two... but
Fatman > Vulcan Raven

Do you actually disagree with all of the above? Then, yeah, I guess we do have very differing opinions.

Edit: Are you ranking the boss fights in terms of characters and not the actual boss fights themselves? If so, yeah, MGS1 definitely wins there, you'll get no argument from me on that.
I think they tried to do the same with Dead Cell and failed miserably. They're all shitty characters.
With MGS3 they just gave up and were more concerned about giving us cool boss fights than interesting characters, and I'm totally fine with that, they succeeded.

MGS4 I think is the same, but I think Kojima just wanted to get across the whole PTSD thing, carrying emotions into battle, "war transforms us" as Drebin said. Snake even says in the codec call "why are you telling me this? do you expect me to feel sorry for them?". It's the same reaction you're supposed to have. You're not supposed to feel sorry for them, you're not supposed to care about them as individuals or care about their story, it's just there to give you an idea as to how fucked up their minds are.

I think Kojima did a good job with the B&Bs.

Edit2: I forgot to mention The Fury. One of my favourites from MGS3. Really fun boss fight. I think it makes a better comparison to Vulcan Raven than Fatman does as well... so
The Fury > Vulcan Raven

Jawmuncher

Which boss fights are you referring to?

IMO most of the boss fights in MGS1 have better versions of that same boss fight in later games.

The End > Sniper Wolf
Ocelot MGS3 > Ocelot MGS1
Rays > Rex
Liquid Ocelot MGS4 > Liquid melee fight MGS1
Harrier > Hind D by far

and this one is a stretch, comparing these two... but
Fatman > Vulcan Raven

Do you actually disagree with all of the above? Then, yeah, I guess we do have very differing opinions.

Honestly yeah everything there I'd say I disagree with.
But more so based on the charcaters themselves rather than the gameply.
Since it's the charcaters themselves that make the boss fights better to me rather than the gameplay.

Honestly yeah everything there I'd say I disagree with.
But more so based on the charcaters themselves rather than the gameply.
Since it's the charcaters themselves that make the boss fights better to me rather than the gameplay.

Aha, yeah, I realized that. Read my edit =P

For me, as I'm sure you can probably tell, it's the other way around. I just want good boss fights, and I think each game in the series has its fair share of greats and not-so-greats.
With the exception of MGS1, because all of the concepts of MGS1s boss fights have been reused in boss fights in later games in the series and made better by the added gameplay features and improved technology, first person view, 3D camera, etc.

Err, I think I worded that poorly. I don't mean to say MGS1 has bad boss fights. Just that when compared to the rest of the MGS series, mechanically and conceptually, that the other games in the series have better utilized the same concepts and mechanics.

Jawmuncher

Aha, yeah, I realized that. Read my edit =P

For me, as I'm sure you can probably tell, it's the other way around. I just want good boss fights, and I think each game in the series has its fair share of greats and not-so-greats

I guess im just a little picky in that regard.
I agree the franchise has had good boss fights through out, i just wish the characters that accompanied them were just as great as well.

It's pretty simple, almost all of the Bosses after MGS2 simply didn't matter in the plot at all. They had no role, they were just there for a boss fight. They don't even interact with other characters and at best give Snake a monologue. In other terms, they suck.

The boss fights themselves were actually pretty awesome most of the time and I really adore the design of the B&Bs. But that makes it suck only more as I would want to see more of them.

Imagine MGS1/2 style discussion between some of the B&Bs and e.g. Ocelot, he's putting them in place, maybe even betraying some of them etc...
Almost all of the post-MGS2 bosses are only interested in destroying/killing though, so that makes it hard to let them act on their own interests. Fatman was similar though and he was still integrated well, even w/o the link to the old bomb guy.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's pretty simple, almost all of the Bosses after MGS2 simply didn't matter in the plot at all. They had no role, they were just there for a boss fight. They don't even interact with other characters and at best give Snake a monologue. In other terms, they suck.

The boss fights themselves were actually pretty awesome most of the time and I really adore the design of the B&Bs. But that makes it suck only more as I would want to see more of them.

Imagine MGS1/2 style discussion between some of the B&Bs and e.g. Ocelot, he's putting them in place, maybe even betraying some of them etc...
Almost all of the post-MGS2 bosses are only interested in destroying/killing though, so that makes it hard to let them act on their own interests. Fatman was similar though and he was still integrated well, even w/o the link to the old bomb guy.
I pretty much agree with this, MGS3 bosses were there just to be the bad guys even B&B was a stand in for Foxhound for liquid, but they was more cobra unit then anything, thou you could say psycho mantis was behind it to make it more appealing.
MGS1 & MGS2 had bosses with their own motives.

McNum

And that's MGS4 completed again, this time with trophies. "Inchworm". Eh, not too good, but I got the crawling emblem out of the way.

I got a Race Gun unlocked from beating the game, but I wonder why it didn't give me the Solar Gun. I have all five dolls. Or is it a silent unlock until you meet the Mk. II again?

And that's MGS4 completed again, this time with trophies. "Inchworm". Eh, not too good, but I got the crawling emblem out of the way.

I got a Race Gun unlocked from beating the game, but I wonder why it didn't give me the Solar Gun. I have all five dolls. Or is it a silent unlock until you meet the Mk. II again?

I don't think it is silent, I am almost certain that there is a notification that you've unlocked it after the credits. Go into a mission briefing and by the television upstairs check to see if all of the statues are there.

Solar Gun definitely has a notification at the end that it has been unlocked (and the trophy pops at this time as well, so chances are you missed a doll), but go through the opening to get to the the Mk. II and see if it shows up. The dolls are cumulative if you accidentally missed one.

McNum

I don't think it is silent, I am almost certain that there is a notification that you've unlocked it after the credits. Go into a mission briefing and by the television upstairs check to see if all of the statues are there.
What the... I'm missing Crying Wolf. But I have the trophy for collecting the Crying Wolf doll, and I went out of my way to run into the Blast Furnace before saving.

*sigh* I have no clue how saving in this game works anymore. So, do you have to collect all the dolls in one run, or can I just Rambo my way through up to Crying Wolf? The Rail Gun should be useful in ending the BB fights quick, and i can just play on Easy to rush it. I'll be able to afford Stealth Camo if I play it right, too. Don't need the Bandanna, with Drebin around, infinite ammo is already there.

EDIT: Ah, good. Rail Gun it is. And Mosin Nagant for Wolf. Unless i can pull off the Stun Grenade stunt.

What the... I'm missing Crying Wolf. But I have the trophy for collecting the Crying Wolf doll, and I went out of my way to run into the Blast Furnace before saving.

*sigh* I have no clue how saving in this game works anymore. So, do you have to collect all the dolls in one run, or can I just Rambo my way through up to Crying Wolf? The Rail Gun should be useful in ending the BB fights quick, and i can just play on Easy to rush it. I'll be able to afford Stealth Camo if I play it right, too. Don't need the Bandanna, with Drebin around, infinite ammo is already there.

EDIT: Ah, good. Rail Gun it is. And Mosin Nagant for Wolf. Unless i can pull off the Stun Grenade stunt.

Do you have any intention of going for all of the emblems? If you do, the bolded isn't necessary as you unlock them automatically by finishing the game with no alerts (Stealth) and no kills (Bandana).

SamuraiX-

Just to cover all my bases, flashbacks don't happen during codec's right?

Nope. None during codecs.

And just one during gameplay, which is in Act 4:
GAMEPLAY: When you reach the base at the Heliport, approach the security camera guarding the stairs and tap X to get a flashback. Note that the song must be still playing in order to get this flashback. This is an exception to gameplay flashbacks as in this one you have to tap X to view the flashback.

Just started this again. Haven't really played it since around launch, when I completed it a few times back-to-back. Still the best transitions from cutscene to gameplay I've ever seen. Many games shift directly into gameplay but not many go from full-on cutscene mode showing viewpoints all over the place back to gameplay so seamlessly.

Not going to bother with trophies for the moment. Going to go for no kills/allarms for as long as its still enjoyable then maybe tackle trophy stuff later.

McNum

Yes, but I hate it, hate it, hate it that they change the equipped weapon all the time. And they even dare to change it to a lethal weapon, which makes no sense whatsoever.
"Hey, I heard you like the Operator pistol right? Sure you do, here, let's just swap out one of your carefully chosen weapons for it without asking. I've even taken the liberty of equipping it for you. Isn't that nice? I'm sure it'll be a great help against that heavily armored boss you're facing."

At least when it equips the M4 Custom it's not so bad. And I can't hate on it automatically equipping the Railgun in that fight either.

bitoriginal

Completed the game again tonight. I really enjoy the story, but seriously, pretty much every Naomi - Otacon, Johnny - Meryl scene should have been cut imo. It was just overly dramatic compared to the rest of the games, I actually cringed at some points.

I still prefer the railgun to the anti-material sniper rifle. Yeah, anti-material rifle is more efficient, the railgun is just so much cooler.

It just doesn't seem like the anti-material rifle SHOULD be able to one hit Gekkos, and it feels really weird to me every time it happens.

The podcasts are pretty great, the Outer Haven one let me find out about the additional animations when Haven troopers reverse your CQC attempts and you don't resist, resulting in them 47'ing your ass. Nice detail. Oh, and the whole traversing on top of the ducts. Finished this game about 10 times, never noticed that. Wish the rest of the game had more stealth sections in the vein of Act 5's intro.

Synless

No flashback mania trophy!?!?!? How is this possible? I skipped no cutscenes, no briefings and hit "x" continuously without fail on every cutscene regardless if it had a flashback or not. I also did all the shadow Moses flashbacks including the camera one within the song.

NeoUltima

O man am I pissed. Finally get the bike chase done and beat the act...but I have a continue. what the fuck :| Guess my mind must have slipped during the dumb chase and continued once instead of exiting. Now I gotta do it for 2 more hours until I get lucky again.

Synless

Did you pause at all during any of the in-game flashbacks? If you do that, then the flashback will be aborted, and you'll have to reload to get it again.
Do the flashbacks when you run snake through the halls leading to the microwave room count? One of those never finished by the time I got to a door.

Top Bottom