• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

I meet Meryl's rat patrol. Well the frogs show up. I charge up my solar gun. She steps right in my line of fire. She gets knocked out. Frogs toss grenades. It was over. I started laughing. Never knew she could die here. It happened again lol. Meryl, you suck.

iLLmAtlc

I meet Meryl's rat patrol. Well the frogs show up. I charge up my solar gun. She steps right in my line of fire. She gets knocked out. Frogs toss grenades. It was over. I started laughing. Never knew she could die here.

Ha. Now you know that if/when you need to meet continues requirements you can just keep killing her over and over. >_>

iLLmAtlc

What kind of things did you guys do to run up your gametime to 35 hours? I'm doing my 2nd playthrough of 2.0 right now (just doing lots of exploration) and I feel like I've explored all of the areas pretty in-depth and I'm only up to like 5 hours before starting Act 5.

At this point I'll probably just do the BBE run to get the Weapons trophy and leave it at that.

In the Chicken playthrough, farming for all the other emblems did a lot to drive up the play time. You will have to just leave the console on to really get up there, though. With Snake in a box, hugging a wall, crawling, or crouching if you want the emblems for those things.

edit: of course, watching all the cutscenes gives you something like +8 hours as well

\

99 alerts and 306 kills in the first act in my Panther playthrough... all requirements met, just a race to the finish now

EDIT: GOT THE PLATINUM! Finally... my 40th Platinum trophy!

Okay, Kojima, I am ready for you to announce MGS5. Hurry up and do it.

Run-M-Run

It's been a few years since I last played this, maybe even 3, and I'm really enjoying it again. Gameplay is great, graphics still wonderful and the cutscenes highly entertaining albeit dipping in fps very often.

Now I only have one problem with this story.

Why is snake such a clueless old man? All he says is "grhh?" "hmh?" "*what another character said*?" "huh?"

This is really taking me from the experience. Of course you need somethings to be so because of tutorialing the gameplay to the player but there should have been a better way. I can even look over those, but even in cut-scenes integral to the story, snake just feels like hes being told what to do and just doing it. He has very little to no input on anything.. it's so odd.

I said I wasn't going to go for the Platinum because there was no way I was would be put through the bike chase again... but I was playing through until I got too frustrated to continue and I found a relatively easy way to beat it.

Smoke is your friend.

It can probably be any smoke (I used Blue) but goddamn -- made that shit 10x easier! Those parts where there's tons of Frogs all over the place? 1 smoke in each intersection leaves all 4 of them wheezing. I was throwing dem cans like it was nobody's business and I got hit once. Fucking ONCE!

I'm sure there's some luck in it as well, but after 10 tries using Stun Grenades... I did it in one try with the Smokes.

SamuraiX-

Now I only have one problem with this story.

Why is snake such a clueless old man? All he says is "grhh?" "hmh?" "*what another character said*?" "huh?"

This is really taking me from the experience. Of course you need somethings to be so because of tutorialing the gameplay to the player but there should have been a better way. I can even look over those, but even in cut-scenes integral to the story, snake just feels like hes being told what to do and just doing it. He has very little to no input on anything.. it's so odd.

That's how Snake has been written since MGS1, minus the old man "grhh"s.

KAOz

Short bus special

To be fair, he has always been like that. Just look 1, 2 and 3. He is just as clueless and "grhh", "hmh" there. And especially repeating what other people said.

"Snake, the people in Washington are sending a missile!"
"Washington?"

"A Metal Gear is coming close!"
"Metal Gear!? Close?"

"Broooooooooothaaaaaaaer! We share the same genes and DNA, we are copies of Big Boss!"
"Jeans? What jeans? I'm wearing slacks. And I doubt we'd both fit inside the same pair of jeans."

Finished Act 1 in 51 minutes. Cutting it kind of close. Kept redoing that frog battle. Either I died, or one of the rat patrol dies. Aiming for 45 mins for Act 2.

Finished Act 1 in 51 minutes. Cutting it kind of close. Kept redoing that frog battle. Either I died, or one of the rat patrol dies. Aiming for 45 mins for Act 2.

I wouldn't call that cutting it close. I had 44 minutes for Act 1, 45 ish for Act 2. I don't remember how long the other acts took but my total time at the end was 3 hours and 40 minutes. WELL under the 5 hour mark.

Act 4 and 5 will likely take you a lot less time than the other 3 acts.

You're doing pretty good.

Gregorn

For a lot of the emblems can I repeat the same action on the same guy? Like keep injecting the same guy over and over, and search one guy 50 times, does that work?

And I have no idea how I'm going to find 50 rations/noodles to use.

Steroyd

As long as you do sub 1 hour for the first 2 acts, you're all good for the rest, providing you don't entrap yourself in the Crying Wolf fight for too long.

Completed the game for like the 5th or 6th time now lol. Got only 41% of the trophies so far on my latest playthrough. I must of missed a couple of flashbacks because the trophy didn't pop up. I think/hope I know the 2 or 3 that I missed. Even 4 years later, this game is just as amazing as it was on day 1. Even the visuals still hold up nicely with models that look as good, if not better than anything today. I think this is still my game of the generation and that is saying a lot since I played some spectacular games this generation. I glad the added trophies because there are things I never knew existed in this game after multiple playthroughs.

For a lot of the emblems can I repeat the same action on the same guy? Like keep injecting the same guy over and over, and search one guy 50 times, does that work?

And I have no idea how I'm going to find 50 rations/noodles to use.
You can syringe and CQC the same guy over and over. The bear emblem, you have to find other guards since it requires a kill by choking them.

Can't seem to download the pdf or doc guide in the first page. The files are downloaded but they either turn out incomplete or corrupted. Anybody having the same issue?

I didn't get the Flashback Mania trophy on my first playthrough, but I figured it was just because I only started religiously mashing the X button every moment of every cutscene from Act 2 onwards. I start my next playthrough, mash X like a madman through Act 1... no trophy.

I can't do it, though. I can't watch all those cutscenes again so soon and I don't have the strength of will to mash the button while doing something else. At this point I'm resting all my hopes on the Psycho Mantis/Sorrow thing after the Screaming Mantis bossfight.

Steroyd

I didn't get the Flashback Mania trophy on my first playthrough, but I figured it was just because I only started religiously mashing the X button every moment of every cutscene from Act 2 onwards. I start my next playthrough, mash X like a madman through Act 1... no trophy.

I can't do it, though. I can't watch all those cutscenes again so soon and I don't have the strength of will to mash the button while doing something else. At this point I'm resting all my hopes on the Psycho Mantis/Sorrow thing after the Screaming Mantis bossfight.

From what I understand the flashbacks where you run around and hear a voice in Act 4 count as flashbacks, which is going to be so much fun.

Also there's one exception of a flashback during gameplay in Act 4.

GAMEPLAY: When you reach the base at the Heliport, approach the security camera guarding the stairs and tap X to get a flashback. Note that the song must be still playing in order to get this flashback. This is an exception to gameplay flashbacks as in this one you have to tap X to view the flashback.

eunao

The power suits count as kills, so how do you pass that part? I'm finishing Act 2 with 6 kills from those guys. Throw stun grenades?

You can wait and Drebin will drive forward. Just make sure you knock out the crazy pmc and militia that climb up the car.

jimi_dini

The power suits count as kills, so how do you pass that part? I'm finishing Act 2 with 6 kills from those guys. Throw stun grenades?

SolarGunMGS4.png

iLLmAtlc

I'm just doing my BBE run right now and I'm reminded of why I love this game so much. Playing on Extreme is so intense and it's so satisfying when you're able to move through an area without being spotted.

We'll see how much I still love it by the time I get to the bike chase :D

DMeisterJ

Banned
Completed my No kill/no alert run. First time I've ever done that in a MGS game. It wasn't that bad, I'm probably going to go for a few more emblems like the under 5 hour ones, crouching for 2.5 hours and stuff that I didn't get.

It's amazing how well this holds up so many years later, and it's great how you can play it totally stealth or you can play it killing everyone. Pretty excellent gunplay in this title.

To be fair, he has always been like that. Just look 1, 2 and 3. He is just as clueless and "grhh", "hmh" there. And especially repeating what other people said.

"Snake, the people in Washington are sending a missile!"
"Washington?"

"A Metal Gear is coming close!"
"Metal Gear!? Close?"

"Broooooooooothaaaaaaaer! We share the same genes and DNA, we are copies of Big Boss!"
"Jeans? What jeans? I'm wearing slacks. And I doubt we'd both fit inside the same pair of jeans."

He wasn't clueless in MGS2. That's one reason why, in hindsight, making Raiden the primary protagonist was actually a really good thing, because it meant that we could kinda look up to Snake, he could be presented as he should be, this veteran soldier who's actually in the know, and who comes across as impressive to everyone else. In MGS4, I wasn't a fan of how his character got slightly downgraded, having to be lectured on how to track by Raiden of all people.

In MGS5, I hope they get rid of the stress system, it just makes gameplay more annoying. I'd compensate for its removal by making the enemies much sharper, and limiting your ammo more severely. And maybe getting rid of the Drebin system.

Just an old killer hired to do some wet work.

[He] Enjoys all that killing...that's why!

Completed my No kill/no alert run. First time I've ever done that in a MGS game. It wasn't that bad, I'm probably going to go for a few more emblems like the under 5 hour ones, crouching for 2.5 hours and stuff that I didn't get.

It's amazing how well this holds up so many years later, and it's great how you can play it totally stealth or you can play it killing everyone. Pretty excellent gunplay in this title.

Very good! The fact that it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be (seemingly) is a very good sign. I know it's a big step up, but I honestly do advise you go for the Big Boss Emblem, maybe not immediately, but sometime. It really is quite fun as it requires a much greater manipulation of the enemies (nothing like the MGS2 run does but still a significant amount) and it still poses quite a challenge.

Also, on that note, why not go back and try MGS2 and MGS3 (if not MGS1) with the no kill/no alert run (or at least a no alert run)? With the HD Collection (assuming you have it) there is a perfect opportunity to try it and it may make the games more enjoyable (or give you more of an incentive to replay them) too.

EDIT: Also, I defintely agree with the above (with regards to making ammunition more severely limited). Drebin, combined with the over-the-shoulder camera, are what I think have the biggest impact on dampening the stealth gameplay. If they change the camera back to MGS3: Subsistence's (even though I actually like the top down camera, I know many don't so this would still be sufficient), remove the OctoCamo system (although I presume that'll be gone anyway), alter the availability of ammunition and focus on infiltrating a singular location as opposed to the act structure it would be a big improvement for me (of course, that's asumming the rest of the the game remains of a high-standard).

I want a return to classic infiltration gameplay. The start of Act 5 was such a tease.

Also, anyone noticed how, if you equip the MGS1 face camo, Snake's head will bob around when talking in cutscenes, much like in the first game?

I want a return to classic infiltration gameplay. The start of Act 5 was such a tease.

Indeed. It's made worse by how colossal Outer Haven appears to be, making it appear to be similar to the Tanker or Big Shell in terms of scope yet ultimately is only one area long (with regards to infiltrating the area). Perhaps it's an illogical fear but one of the things that worries me with regard to the Metal Gear Solid series is that we may not see a return to the more classic style of gameplay that is featured in Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 (in addition to infiltrating a singular location or two significantly sized locations) in case Konami is worried that it appears that the game is a devolution to most players.

In a time when a common criticism is that a sequel is too similar to the predecessor or a downgraded version of its predecessor, Metal Gear Solid is a series that has masterfully avoided this pitfall with each new game offering up something that alters the gameplay yet keeps the core mechanics in place. Be it MGS2's addition of first person view, MGS3's camouflage and survival system (with CQC) or MGS4 choosing four unique styles of stealth throughout (with Drebin, disguises and OctoCamo), each game, regardless of whether it is felt that the addition was positive or negative, has evolved in some form. It concerns me that Konami may feel that some gamers would be opposed to returning to the roots of the series (with regards to gameplay style anyway, if MGS4's basic gameplay [minus the over the shoulder view] was kept it may be more likely) for fear that said gamers view it as a "downgrade" or a devolution of the franchise (regardless of whether or not people would actually view it as such). Hopefully there is something significant that they feel they would be able to implement to the gameplay that would allow for a return to the "classic infiltration gameplay" however.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wish they'd release a patch to let you play MGO offline through a LAN or something. I never gave it a chance...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Found these when digging through an old HDD.

1231029417378.jpg

1231029385010.jpg

1218844417148.jpg

Also, I'll try asking again: does the PS3 version of the MGS HD Collection come with a voucher for downloading MGS1?

Fuck you, Flashback Trophy! Giving it to me in a scene where I'm 100% certain I didn't miss it before, such bullshit.

Speaking of bullshit: Ocelot on Extreme, gotta love how between rounds he goes back up to 90% health while you get nothing.

And then when you fail, you have to sit through this stupid-as-fuck, fake-out continue screen > black loading screen > main menu > load menu > loading screen > skip cutscene > skip cutscene > skip cutscene > 10sec camera pan to start the fight.

It takes you five fucking minutes to get back to the same place where you died before. Idiots.

Fuck you, Flashback Trophy! Giving it to me in a scene where I'm 100% certain I didn't miss it before, such bullshit.

Speaking of bullshit: Ocelot on Extreme, gotta love how between rounds he goes back up to 90% health while you get nothing.

And then when you fail, you have to sit through this stupid-as-fuck, fake-out continue screen > black loading screen > main menu > load menu > loading screen > skip cutscene > skip cutscene > skip cutscene > 10sec camera pan to start the fight.

It takes you five fucking minutes to get back to the same place where you died before. Idiots.

Gotta love his cheap-ass headbutts. But at least you can do them too.

Leaving my PS3 on for the night so i can finish my chicken run by tomorrow. It's funny, because you can go after every trophy, watch every cutscene, and FULLY explore and still come no where close to 35 hours. lol

I'm on my 2nd play through and i'm already burned out. I don't know how you guys are doing this. I think i'm just going to do my BBE run next and just get the Plat with a casual play through here and there. The Spider, Centipede, Leopard, Jaguar, Panther, Assassin/Tarantula while all can be done within a short 15-18 hours, is still a bit too much.

I think my main gripe is the farming. It's just really boring. 250-500 kills is nothing but in MGS4 its fucking standing in a corner and wait for pairs of enemies to respawn. Then run around like an idiot so you get 75-100+ Alerts and then finally kill yourself X amount of times to farm continues.

BBE and a handful of others are the only ones that require skill and actually make sense.

That resistance glitch cut down so much time. Nvm, the last part also works. Just save when he stops.
Man, the bike chase is so hard. Spamming stun or smoke grenades don't stop them. Using the Mk. 2, Solar Gun, Stun, and Smoke grenades.

Man, the bike chase is so hard. Spamming stun or smoke grenades don't stop them. Using the Mk. 2, Solar Gun, Stun, and Smoke grenades.

It takes about 10% skill and 90% luck, but you can get through it without getting hit too much.

Just try not getting hit at all, or not below 75% health, in the 1st part; use the Emotion Smoke if you have it (I used Blue), you'll have to bounce a few off adjacent buildings into 1 or 2 of the groups.

In the 2nd part use auto-aim with the Mk.2 to hit the Frogs on the van. At the roadblock parts, throw the smokes as you approach and maybe 1 when you stop, Mk.2 the rest. For the run with Frogs all over the place, you can take out a lot by auto-aiming the Solar Gun and using the rapid shots, or spam smokes.

3rd part your health regens, so that's good. Don't bother with the Sliders/Raven as they won't hit you. Keep the Mk.2 (or charged Solar Gun if you have energy) aimed to your front right and pop the turret guy from a distance. Use the Mk.2/Twin Barrel on the turret guy that drives up to you.

When you get the two hummers that try to block the intersection, spam smokes and you'll hopefully get through unscathed. With the two hummers that flip over you, use the Mk.2 on the Frog on the left, switch to smokes and try to throw them as close to the center of all the intersections as possible and you should hit all 4 Frogs in each group. There will be a parked hummer on the front left at one point, you can Mk.2 him but I just threw smokes. And in the final alley, I again just spammed smokes and didn't get hit.

Stun Grenades made things 10x harder for me, while the Blue Smokes got me through the 3rd part without getting hit once.

I've never had any luck with stun grenades in MGS games. It's like, they don't even stun shit unless they land right at the target's feet, and they're also apparently the loudest thing ever because as soon as you throw a stun grenade every guard everywhere knows where you are unless they all got stunned. Oh, and if you happened to be too close and were looking at it too, you're blinded while all the guards that heard you are shooting the fuck out of you.

Fuck stun grenades.

That flashback trophy is just the worst. I'm at well over 400 flashbacks viewed in the stats screens and I just can't imagine what I'm missing. The only thing I can think of is maybe you have to watch the entire cutscene to get them to count? Does anybody know? I mean if there's a 10 minute cutscene and the flashback is at 3 minutes 20, do you have to watch the whole thing or can you skip it after you've got the flashback?

jimi_dini

That flashback trophy is just the worst. I'm at well over 400 flashbacks viewed in the stats screens and I just can't imagine what I'm missing. The only thing I can think of is maybe you have to watch the entire cutscene to get them to count?

No

You can definitely skip the cutscene, if there are no more flashbacks.

Have you gotten ALL Raiden flashbacks in act 4? It's not just 1 flashback. It's like 10 right after each other.

Have you gotten all the hidden flashbacks in act 4? there are lots of them.

Top Bottom