• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

For those who didn't get the flashback mania trophy... did you rewatch briefings for flashbacks, or did you get them during the first viewing of the briefings?

Synless

I went back through all the briefings, no dice. Fucking sucks, now I gotta do it all over again. I wish it kept track of all the ones you did so when you got the ones you missed you didn't need to continue searching.

I went back through all the briefings, no dice. Fucking sucks, now I gotta do it all over again. I wish it kept track of all the ones you did so when you got the ones you missed you didn't need to continue searching.

Play through the game again and pay particular attention to the mission briefings. I have a theory that the flashbacks don't count when watching the briefings through the main menu.

Let me know what happens.

NeoUltima

O man am I pissed. Finally get the bike chase done and beat the act...but I have a continue. what the fuck :| Guess my mind must have slipped during the dumb chase and continued once instead of exiting. Now I gotta do it for 2 more hours until I get lucky again.

Amazing. I managed to do it first fucking try :D. Funny how things work out.

Do the flashbacks when you run snake through the halls leading to the microwave room count? One of those never finished by the time I got to a door.

Nope. Are you sure you got all the audio ones in Act 4? Making sure you didn't run ahead before they'd ended and waiting until the 1000 DP popped up?

The Flashback Mania guide has like 60+ flashbacks, but the Official MGS4 guide only lists 38. Doesn't include the audio flashbacks or debriefing cutscene though..

I didn't get the trophy either which kinda pissed me off. I really don't mind watching the movies but there's no fucking stats! Seriously, what were they thinking? They add all these tedious emblems and don't even let you know if you fulfilled them till the end of the game! And if you didn't complete, have to do it all over again..ugh

Supposedly the flashbacks roll over but what's the point? Mostly likely going to have to do them all over again. Luckily i didn't do my Chicken run yet.

Been using the Solar Gun. It's so much fun. I can see why its needed on BBE run now. Its stun is way better than the other tranq handgun. Back to checking out every cutscene for a flashback -_-
Already got 7 alerts. Need to stay under 25 for the assassin emblem.

Tarin02543

For those who have been playing the 2.0 patch, would you say there is a difference in performance? Does the game seem to run better?

Synless

Play through the game again and pay particular attention to the mission briefings. I have a theory that the flashbacks don't count when watching the briefings through the main menu.

Let me know what happens.
I will keep you updated.

Nope. Are you sure you got all the audio ones in Act 4? Making sure you didn't run ahead before they'd ended and waiting until the 1000 DP popped up?
I certainly did, I have a few theories about what may have happened, I'm going to test it out.

SamuraiX-

For those who have been playing the 2.0 patch, would you say there is a difference in performance? Does the game seem to run better?

It's the same. They didn't include any performance updates or anything.

But, damn, the game feels like it hasn't lost a single step. If I was clueless and someone told me that it just released, I would easily believe them.

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys I just got around to testing the Laughing Octopus trick on The Boss Extreme and it indeed works. It's just a bit finicky and you really have to be able to find the right spot. Here's a picture:

southamericaresearchlybdzx.jpg

In that photo I'm trying to move as far to Snake's left as I could so I'm up against the machine. It might take a few tries for you to get the right spot.

Once you do find the right spot though you can stay there for as long as you want. Here's a video of me getting bombarded for a minute something straight by explosives and no effect:

http://youtu.be/tcLHgmzxzCQ

I also think it might have to do with where the shots are coming from. In the video they were coming from the immediate hallway. I think if they came from behind Snake like from the left it wouldn't work.

Note even if you're not hiding if you fight her from behind the machine I don't think her attacks can reach you. I was fighting her from here at first and I got her down to just a small bit of health left and she didn't even attempt the roll attack on me once for some reason. Try it yourselves!

The rolling attack killed me once or twice I think... but, do people really need to go to such great lengths to avoid it?
I didn't think the bosses in MGS4 on Extreme were very hard at all... they're nothing compared to MGS2's bosses on Extreme.

iLLmAtlc

Yeah I think it's most useful for people like me who wanted to get the laughing octopus statue on my first run. Snake is really outgunned and I almost gave up before I discovered that.

KAOz

Short bus special
Chicken Emblem done, together with loads of other ones. Mostly need Assassin, Little Gray and those spread out ones like Panther and Jaguar and shit.

Time for a Big Boss run soon. Finally. Done it before the patch, so this will be good. Really looking forward to it.

televator

I went to a bit of an extreme to get the Flashback trophy. Every time there was a cut scene, I just spammed the X button til the end of the cut scene.

What are the chances of getting a new, non-budget range version of this game these days? Are Konami actually issuing a re-print? Or will it be that ugly yellow-and-gray platinum version that I'd have to settle for.

Christ, I wish I never sold my original copy a few years back, this was a great game.

The price I pay, I guess...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished chapter 3 last night. Man, that trailing part is so goddamn boring. Still, replaying MGS4 is fun. Thinking of getting the HD collection for PS3, does it come with a voucher for MGS1?

Steroyd

Did you pause at all during any of the in-game flashbacks? If you do that, then the flashback will be aborted, and you'll have to reload to get it again.

Sonova... :( If I don't get the flashback trophy at the end, I'm gonna have to do act 2 all over again. >_<

I went to a bit of an extreme to get the Flashback trophy. Every time there was a cut scene, I just spammed the X button til the end of the cut scene.

Act 3 must have been a lot of FUN.

Do you need a new controller now? ;)

To the guys who didn't get the flashback trophy:
Did you by chance notice a different number of DP rewards in the Act reward screens that could narrow it down?

On Very Easy, for the watched flashbacks I received 5,000 DP reward after Act1
Now after Act2 I got only 4,510 DP. I'm now wondering if I missed something during Act2/Act2 briefing. (assuming the reward is even an indication for anything)

Just played MGS2 again, and I noticed that the weapon you carry in a cutscene changes depending on what you have equipped beforehand, so if you equip the M9, it'll show up in the cutscene, and the same thing with the USP or SOCOM. Also, whether or not you have a suppressor equipped is also reflected. I'm pretty sure they did the same thing with MGS3. Now why doesn't MGS4 do this as well? :S

Do you need a new controller now? ;)

To the guys who didn't get the flashback trophy:
Did you by chance notice a different number of DP rewards in the Act reward screens that could narrow it down?

On Very Easy, for the watched flashbacks I received 5,000 DP reward after Act1
Now after Act2 I got only 4,510 DP. I'm now wondering if I missed something during Act2/Act2 briefing. (assuming the reward is even an indication for anything)

Nah, the DP doesn't matter at all so don't worry about that.

NeoUltima

The one flashback I had missed (secret Kojima one after Mantis) was because I didn't mash X fast enough. Every different screenshot counts. If you are missing a flashback, it's probably for a similar reason.

Damn, I was going for the Spider Emblem on Very Easy but completely forgot about the requirements for Continues so I'm stuck on the Liquid boss fight trying to die on Easy (currently on 11). Does anybody know any tips to die quickly in this fight? Every death takes about ten minutes and I'm seriously considering just going through the game again rather than waiting if there isn't any easy way to die.

Damn, I was going for the Spider Emblem on Very Easy but completely forgot about the requirements for Continues so I'm stuck on the Liquid boss fight trying to die on Easy (currently on 11). Does anybody know any tips to die quickly in this fight? Every death takes about ten minutes and I'm seriously considering just going through the game again rather than waiting if there isn't any easy way to die.

Get to the Old Snake stage of the fight and let him beat you to death?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Managed to get 90% of the trophies overall but after playing Act 3 a few times on Normal I have zero interest in doing it again. Already got all of the emblems pre patch, fuck it/good enough.

Just unlocked Flashback Mania in the Act 3 mission briefing. I don't know how I missed those. Alright, skipping every single cutscene from now on.

I relly shot myself in the foot with the way I screwed up my runs. I'm STILL trying to get through my second run because it's on The Boss extreme and it it doesn't need to be. I'm finding the act 3 rail shooting sequence impossible. I know you can advance the clock and get more life but I can't survive the second segment to even try. Sometimes I can take many hits, but then a single hit takes half my life and it's over. This has really draggged everything down and it's going to take me a very long time to finish all this.

Plus I played more stealth early on so I will need to farm knife kills like an idiot in act 5.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Having fun on my No Kills/No Alert playthrough. Managed to complete Act 4 doing so. It's my first time doing it in a MGS game ever, so I'm quite proud of myself. Stealth/Bandana should make subsequent playthroughs easier.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well I completed my first run, 40% trophies all dolls/facemasks/Ghosts & got the eagle,frog,ant, hawk, panther emblem and few more, I suppose I better get serious with this lol.

Gonna do a BBE run finally. Kinda nervous. I got all weapons, so I'm gonna equip these at all times. Solar Gun, MK. 2 Pistol, Mosin-Nagant, Twin Barrel with air slugs, and stun-knife.
Act 3 and 4 is gonna be hell. Any tips?

Gonna do a BBE run finally. Kinda nervous. I got all weapons, so I'm gonna equip these at all times. Solar Gun, MK. 2 Pistol, Mosin-Nagant, Twin Barrel with air slugs, and stun-knife.

If you have enough chaff grenades, act 4 will be a breeze.

Act 3 has a time trick where if you stalk the resistance member until he moves to the next area, save the game, then reload, it will be like you just started except the resistance member will be in the next area and you don't have to spend the time stalking him. Unless you're really struggling to make it under the 5 hour time limit, though, you probably won't need to do this.

For the bike chase smoke grenades saved my life in certain areas, and the solar gun is pretty much necessary for it as well.
Other than that, all I can really say is Act 3 is a pain, so, good luck. If you need help with anything specific we'll all be here to provide assistance!

2San

So I replayed MGS 1 to 4 in a row. I confirmed that MGS3 really is hands down the best in the series by a wide margin imo, it really is a masterpiece. The HD collection does it justice, it's so smooth and still looks stunning(I have the x360 version).

More importantly I was pleasantly surprised by MGS4, I enjoyed the game so much more when I knew all the bullshit in advance and even enjoyed the story for what it is. Not to mention the bullshit was more palatable now that I notice that Kojima was actually dropping hints with certain twists. It was the first time I replayed the game as well, due to me having to loan a ps3 just to play it. I put it one equal level with MGS2 now.

MGS1(psx) really did age though. While it's unfair to compare such an older game to the newer games. I enjoyed that game the least in all honesty. All in all an amazing series. MGS4 really completes the story. I sadly have no more energy to play Peace Walker, even though I never played it.

- Save after each checkpoint where you know you always have trouble. ESPECIALLY for Act 3.
- Use the Anti-Material sniper rifle for Gekkos in Act 4. It's quicker and easier to use than the rail gun.
- Don't forget the smoke/stun grenade strategy for Crying Wolf!
- You don't need Chaff Grenades to get past the mini-Gekko all the time. Sometimes good ol' fashioned sneaking will work.
- Speaking of which, killing the big Gekko in the halls before the Vamp fight is quicker than trying to sneak around them. You won't get an alert status, and the mini-Gekko are easy enough to get around.

Oh yeah. I would save after every checkpoint. Every. Single. One.\

Not just certain ones like Beef said.

Edit: and don't overwrite saves. Make a new save every time

Act 3 has a time trick where if you stalk the resistance member until he moves to the next area, save the game, then reload, it will be like you just started except the resistance member will be in the next area and you don't have to spend the time stalking him. Unless you're really struggling to make it under the 5 hour time limit, though, you probably won't need to do this.

For the bike chase smoke grenades saved my life in certain areas, and the solar gun is pretty much necessary for it as well.
Other than that, all I can really say is Act 3 is a pain, so, good luck. If you need help with anything specific we'll all be here to provide assistance!
I heard about that trick. Anything to shave off some time.

- Save after each checkpoint where you know you always have trouble. ESPECIALLY for Act 3.
- Use the Anti-Material sniper rifle for Gekkos in Act 4. It's quicker and easier to use than the rail gun.
- Don't forget the smoke/stun grenade strategy for Crying Wolf!
- You don't need Chaff Grenades to get past the mini-Gekko all the time. Sometimes good ol' fashioned sneaking will work.
- Speaking of which, killing the big Gekko in the halls before the Vamp fight is quicker than trying to sneak around them. You won't get an alert status, and the mini-Gekko are easy enough to get around.
What strategy is that?

Oh yeah. I would save after every checkpoint. Every. Single. One.\

Not just certain ones like Beef said.

Edit: and don't overwrite saves. Make a new save every time
Good advice. I got detected quite a bit before even reaching the red zone. Guards have really long vision and there is so many of them.

The two areas before Red Zone are probably two of the hardest areas for the BBE run, since all you can do is use the stun knife or CQC, and guards have really good sight and hearing.

Once you get to the Mark II, always have face camo on, it will give you an extra 10% camo.

NeoUltima

The two areas before Red Zone are probably two of the hardest areas for the BBE run, since all you can do is use the stun knife or CQC, and guards have really good sight and hearing.
I wish the game had more parts like that. Game is complete cake once you get your items, especially since the battlefields are even easier to sneak through with the distracted enemies.

Steroyd

I relly shot myself in the foot with the way I screwed up my runs. I'm STILL trying to get through my second run because it's on The Boss extreme and it it doesn't need to be. I'm finding the act 3 rail shooting sequence impossible. I know you can advance the clock and get more life but I can't survive the second segment to even try. Sometimes I can take many hits, but then a single hit takes half my life and it's over. This has really draggged everything down and it's going to take me a very long time to finish all this.

Plus I played more stealth early on so I will need to farm knife kills like an idiot in act 5.

For that section, spam the stun grenades like crazy when you get to the roadblock part, I was surprised at how I took zero damage, providing none of your grenade throwing goes awol.

And for the third section I'd reccomend spamming the smoke grenades when the Frogs come out to play, was pleasantly surprised at how you can practically go damage free for the most part.

What strategy is that?

When she's popped out to fire the rail gun, throw a smoke grenade and she'll start coughing, leaving her open for a little while, letting you throw stun grenades at her. If you get it right, you can throw a smoke grenade, three stun grenades, another smoke grenade and three last stun grenades and finish the fight in barely a couple of minutes.

My tips:
- You know the frogs battle in Act 1? Use the Mk. II to get through it without a scratch. When Johnny craps his pants, punch him and it'll skip the entire sequence.
- Use sleep gas mines on the frogs before Laughing Octopus.
- Just in case you don't know, don't bothering stamina defeating the Beast part of the boss fights (except for Crying Wolf anyway). Only the Beauties count as actual kills.
- Use the Otacon face camo in Act 3 and the guards and you can run straight passed guards. Just to be safe though, don't run around with a gun out.
- When tracking the resistance member, you can skip two entire areas. After the park, he'll usually (on Boss Extreme) go down the stairs from the parking lot, see a guard and run back up the stairs into a different area. But if you tranq the guard before he looks, he'll just go the the usual route, meaning you'll only have 3 areas to go through instead of 5.
- Turn auto-aim on in the bike section. Sometimes you'll want to toggle it off but other times, it's an enormous help.
- It should be re-iterated to use the anti-material rifle on Gekkos and a couple of the Beast forms (especially Raven). Taking Gekkos out in 1-3 quick shots is great.
- Use the solar gun on Vamp.

Top Bottom