• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

You can do the hold up move and they'll do a shimmy-shake, and sometimes a tag will drop. Or you can pick up and drop the body and a tag will drop.

You are half right. You HAVE to hold up normal enemies to get the dog tag. You cannot pick up their unconscious/dead bodies to get their tags.

Special characters such as Olga can be picked up and dropped for the dog tag (if this is what you were referring to, my apologies).

Also, some tips - enemies sometimes have a "sparkle" near their neck signifying they still have a dog tag. However, some enemies have dog tags but no sparkle. Use the thermal goggles to help reveal the dog tag.

Agreed, especially because you have to buy it and transfer it from the PS3 (as of right now for the NTSC version).

So Vita only owners are screwed right now. Not only that, but it still costs $29.99!!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It doesn't run at 544p, no. But it's much higher res than Uncharted, which ran at 408p. Graphics look perfectly sharp.

AA I'm not sure. I'm assuming so since I haven't noticed jaggies at all.
I think this is running in 720x448(or 480) and Uncharted was 720x408, for what it's worth. Neither really bothered me, even though I thought they would, I think Uncharted looked great too.

OmegaZero

3DS version wasn't that bad if you knew what you were getting into. The framerate did drop noticeably in several areas, but most of these were areas where Snake Eater PS2 had trouble with as well.
It was still disappointing given the Naked Sample demo ran and looked much better, but that's life, I guess...

Anyway, I agree with dark10x: don't get it unless you want MGS3 for your 3DS really badly. There are other, better options
with clunkier controls. Why couldn't they have added third-person aiming and moving?

I guess I'm getting this after all. A friend of mine picked it up yesterday and let me try it out. To my surprise, it played and looked better then I assumed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The framerate did drop noticeably in several areas, but most of these were areas where Snake Eater PS2 had trouble with as well.
That is true, but the base framerate on PS2 was 30 fps (where it spent most of its time) while the base framerate on 3DS is 20 fps. So when it drops on 3DS is goes deep into the teens which is very choppy. It runs worse than Peace Walker on PSP, really.

kodt

Banned
You are half right. You HAVE to hold up normal enemies to get the dog tag. You cannot pick up their unconscious/dead bodies to get their tags.

Special characters such as Olga can be picked up and dropped for the dog tag (if this is what you were referring to, my apologies).

Also, some tips - enemies sometimes have a "sparkle" near their neck signifying they still have a dog tag. However, some enemies have dog tags but no sparkle. Use the thermal goggles to help reveal the dog tag.

To expand this further, you need to be aiming at them from the front to get them to drop. If you hold them up from behind you will need to quickly run in front of them and hold them up again. Then aim at their face or crotch and they should give you the dogtag.

Some enemies are more brave and will not give it up so easily. They will talk back to you and say stuff like "are you going to shoot me?" etc... For these enemies you need to equip a lethal weapon (such as the USP) and either shoot them in a limb, or just shoot past them to scare them. Another option is holding them up with the NIKITA missile launcher, that will scare them without the need to fire :)

If you try holding up a brave enemy with the tranq gun, after a while their eyes will flash and that indicates they are going to fight back.

dark10x

To expand this further, you need to be aiming at them from the front to get them to drop. If you hold them up from behind you will need to quickly run in front of them and hold them up again. Then aim at their face or crotch and they should give you the dogtag.

Some enemies are more brave and will not give it up so easily. They will talk back to you and say stuff like "are you going to shoot me?" etc... For these enemies you need to equip a lethal weapon (such as the USP) and either shoot them in a limb, or just shoot past them to scare them. Another option is holding them up with the NIKITA missile launcher, that will scare them without the need to fire :)

If you try holding up a brave enemy with the tranq gun, after a while their eyes will flash and that indicates they are going to fight back.
Man, I know all of this stuff already, but reading it again just reminds me how amazing these games are. Very few developers create games with so many small details peppered throughout. It's really quite incredible.

Fox318

I have a few questions as I'm considering on getting a Vita just to play this.

Do the controls feel good? I mean technically the PS2 has 4 more buttons(two bumper, and the sticks).

How does the vita handle games that used both bumpers or sticks? Like what about PS1 games since I never played MGS1 and might play that on Vita first.

Kazerei

Banned
I have a few questions as I'm considering on getting a Vita just to play this.

Do the controls feel good? I mean technically the PS2 has 4 more buttons(two bumper, and the sticks).

How does the vita handle games that used both bumpers or sticks? Like what about PS1 games since I never played MGS1 and might play that on Vita first.

Controls feel great. The touch screen is used to swap items and weapons, which works really well.

For PS1 Classics on PSP, the L2/R2 buttons were assigned to analog stick left/right. I don't think there are any conflicts.

dark10x

If all you want to do is play Peace Walker, buy it.
Yes, but Peace Walker looks pretty nasty on PSP in comparison to the HD releases. It runs at a poor framerate, a low resolution, and doesn't work perfectly with the extra stick on Vita. If you really want to play it then it will work, but a higher quality Vita port would have been much preferred.

Oni Jazar

Konami hasn't said anything but the answer can be assumed that it was too soon after Peace Walker for PSP, the PSP version is playable on Vita and wasn't worth the effort to re-do a port.

Jarmel

Banned
Yes, but Peace Walker looks pretty nasty on PSP in comparison to the HD releases. It runs at a poor framerate, a low resolution, and doesn't work perfectly with the extra stick on Vita. If you really want to play it then it will work, but a higher quality Vita port would have been much preferred.

I thought Peace Walker wasn't compatible anyway for US Vitas?

^ It is, but you have to transfer through the PS3.

Have you guys ever thought about something I find relatively interesting regarding this game (and any other games set in the near future)?

When this game came out, it was set in the future (came out in the early 2000s, set in 2007-2009). Now, it takes place in the past. Strange, knowing that it was originally supposed to seem slightly futuristic (and still is with Arsenal Gear and everything)

I'd make a thread on it ("Games that came out taking place in the future that now take place in the past"), but I am, alas, not privileged to do it.

If someone likes that idea, feel free to create the thread. Also interesting is examining whether the true future was close to the game's future or not.

ryushe

Are people really complaining about the framerate (C'mon, it's 30fps) when playing two of some of the greatest games ever made on a handheld.

Man.

Salaadin

Also interesting is examining whether the true future was close to the game's future or not.

I remember getting way excited in 2004 or whatever it was when they showed that early stage invisibilty cloak that reminded me of MGS stealth camo.

Robot technology (Big Dog, specifially) always gave me Metal Gear vibes too.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Are people really complaining about the framerate (C'mon, it's 30fps) when playing two of some of the greatest games ever made on a handheld.

Man.

I sort of agree, but it is disapponting to see a game from 2001 rereleased in 2012 on powerful hardware not run as good and not run at native resolution..

Especially when said title is calle "HD collection" where the point of the collection is to boost the resolution.

EekTheKat

I can't seem to figure out how to strafe in MGS3 on the vita.

in MGS3 Subsistance/HD collection if you hold square and L1, you can strafe side to side while aiming certain guns. I can't seem to figure out how to do this on the Vita.

Skilletor

Man.

I am.

Fuck this MGS2 port.

First scene with Raiden, running 60fps until TWO soldiers start shooting at me, and then it's 30fps. It makes controls more sluggish, it's visually distracting, and it's annoying as hell.

MGS3, I have no problems with.

Man.

Peace Walker isn't in the collection though, so it just has one of the greatest games ever made and MGS2.

ryushe

I sort of agree, but it is disapponting to see a game from 2001 rereleased in 2012 on powerful hardware not run as good and not run at native resolution..

Especially when said title is calle "HD collection" where the point of the collection is to boost the resolution.
I... can certainly understand that, but dude, if you'd a told me back in 2001/2004 there'd be a day I could play MGS2/MGS3 on a handheld. At work. On lunch, I'd a called you all names under the sun and deleted your contact info from every device I own.

UberTag

I thought Peace Walker wasn't compatible anyway for US Vitas?
It works fine via transferring over from the PS3. And the analog control largely improves things.
The only problem is transfarring is borked. PSP is still the way to go for that.

I sorta wanna play this on the Vita, but I don't think I can do it unless Transfarring works across two different PSN accounts. I've already Platinum'd MGS2 and 3 and I'm afraid if I Transfar from Vita to the PS3 that my Trophies will be wiped out, so I would be doing stuff in a different PSN account on my PS3 whereas my Vita will be my normal account. I DUNNO.

I sorta wanna play this on the Vita, but I don't think I can do it unless Transfarring works across two different PSN accounts. I've already Platinum'd MGS2 and 3 and I'm afraid if I Transfar from Vita to the PS3 that my Trophies will be wiped out, so I would be doing stuff in a different PSN account on my PS3 whereas my Vita will be my normal account. I DUNNO.

Why on earth would your trophies be wiped out? You think the game is going to access Sony's servers and delete them from your account or something?

If you want to transfar but your old save is from before the patch, then just create a new save. You can have more than just one of them.

Ah right, forgot to say that I would be playing the Japanese version of the games as opposed to the U.S. one which I have already Platinum'd. I dunno what crossing the regional trophy list streams could possibly do, if side-effects do exist, anyway.

theBishop

Banned

You think they'll do a separate Peacewalker "remaster" for Vita? Maybe with online support this time.

EekTheKat

Aha...

with gun drawn and extended

L to go into Stalk mode, then R to lock camera behind you. This results in 3rd person lock on strafe where you can sidestep while shooting (MGS3)

R shoulder button is first person view if L shoulder button isn't pressed, but it acts as a strafe modifier if you draw your weapon (hold square or tap down on d pad) and stalk at the same time.

Draw weapon (hold square or tap down on D-pad)
Hold L, Snake will go into stalk mode with weapon drawn
Now hold R, Snake will go into sidestep/strafe mode.

Aha...

with gun drawn and extended

L to go into Stalk mode, then R to lock camera behind you. This results in 3rd person lock on strafe where you can sidestep while shooting (MGS3)

was gonna ask if there was ever an answer. I'll keep this in mind when I get the game.

Might be slightly OT but I'm replaying MGS3 on PS3, did they fix up the flapping clothes after some recent patch? It looks fine now for some reason...

dark10x

I am.

Fuck this MGS2 port.

First scene with Raiden, running 60fps until TWO soldiers start shooting at me, and then it's 30fps. It makes controls more sluggish, it's visually distracting, and it's annoying as hell.

MGS3, I have no problems with.
It works almost exactly like MGS-The Twin Snakes, actually. That game had the very same issue. It tried to deliver 60 fps for many/most scenes but the second the action picked up it dropped to 30 fps (or lower). :\

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How does the lock on work? No ingame explanation and I keep on doing it randomly sometimes.

BigTnaples

Well went ahead and bought the PSN Download Version.

About 45 minutes in to the tanker and loving it.

Playing the tanker level is like playing in the Kokiri Village in OoT.

I played the Tanker level so many times on the Zone of Enders disc demo, and again in the full game. Mostly the demo though, probably beat that 100+ times, in a multitude of different ways.

Gotta say, the resolution although not native is not an issue like it is with Uncharted. It looks fairly solid. Although I would have preferred the extra sharpness of full native res.

Also, the FPS has not been bothersome so far (although it is extremely noticeable when it all of the sudden runs at 60fps when inside). That said, I am early on and have not really gotten into any action, so I am hoping that the FPS stays at least above 30 the whole time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
When MGS2 runs at 60 fps, it looks like the video game equivalent of Christina Hendricks on my screen. omg gorgeous. It looks so wrong at 30 fps.

matmanx1

I had forgotten how complex the controls were in Metal Gear. Anyone who gets this collection should go into the options and check out the Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced gameplay sections because they very nicely explain how to do all of the different techniques and so much of it is context sensitive.

Being able to know the difference between holding a guy up, grabbing him in a choke hold, grabbing him and throwing him or just punching him is literally just a matter of positioning and how you are holding the stick. Snake is extremely well suited to his task but only if you know how to pull of the moves.

BigTnaples

I had forgotten how complex the controls were in Metal Gear. Anyone who gets this collection should go into the options and check out the Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced gameplay sections because they very nicely explain how to do all of the different techniques and so much of it is context sensitive.

Being able to know the difference between holding a guy up, grabbing him in a choke hold, grabbing him and throwing him or just punching him is literally just a matter of positioning and how you are holding the stick. Snake is extremely well suited to his task but only if you know how to pull of the moves.

I was just about to ask how to knock out a guy when you choke hold them, I thought it was just holding them long enough but that seems to kill them now?

Top Bottom