• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just did 200 pull ups and got to level 3 grip, then walked 3 paces and fell off a ledge. FML.

Peace Walker's exclusion is enough for me to not want this anymore. It was one of the only MG games I haven't played yet and wanted to play it as a portable release, but also without having to deal with the jaggies on the PSP along with improved camera controls. Bummer.

plasmasd

Just got Platinum in MGS3. Don't think I'll ever do that with MGS2. The game looks great, plays great and I think its a must buy for Vita.

So I'm near the end of MGS2 (
Raiden being ass naked in HD glory
) and I completely forgot how insanely ridiculous and out of this world the story was, lol.

When Otacon's sister dies and he starts going on about how he was seduced by his step mother and that's why his father committed suicide totally threw me back and made me go, dubya-tee-eff?
. It's been so long since I've touched MGS2 I completely forgot all of these aspects.

aett

I was enjoying MGS2 a lot up until the bomb search backtrackathon. After that is when the story really starts to go off the rails, too. It'll just make playing MGS3 feel so much better!

Man, MGS2 could have been so awesome if they had just hired an editor. I'm even fine with the trippy mindscrews and bizarre conspiracies, but the amount of dialogue needed to be cut by 2/3s.

Agree with Dark and everyone else. Such a cocktease when MGS2 jumps to 60fps. Devs should have fucking known better and locked it to 30.
Didn't hurt me none in Sigma Plus (DAT image PQ) and it would have been just as fine here

Fluctuating framerate DOES cheapen the quality of it all.

That being said...

OMG OMG OMG Snake in my pants!!!

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
Finally got accustomed to the controls and am loving it. Having never played MGS2 before,
I'm at the part where I have to freeze the c4 and have 2 to go. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Pliskin == Solid Snake? l0l
Pretty damn sure about that

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You may be on to something...

Haha :)

On another note, I FINALLY managed to beat all of Raidens Handgun and assault rifle VR missions. Took me a while ._.
But now I am stuck on PSG Level 3! Woo. Does anyone have a good sniping spot there?

Edit: Nvm, finally got it to work after changing my shot sequence.

Edit2: Ugh, same area for PSG level 4 :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
CQC commands for MGS2/3.

How too search/interogate the enemy.

Hm, my memory is too foggy on MGS3, but for MGS2 (which does not have as much CQC as MGS3):

Searching the enemy as in getting items = Pressing square over their dead or unconscious body.

Otherwise, if they still live (or you want dog tags):

1. Sneak up behind an enemy, equip a pistol, and get close to them. Press and hold square. If Snake says "freeze" and the enemy shows his hands, you have done this correctly.

2. Now keep pressing square, while you press L to move while continuing to aim your weapon (otherwise the enemy wont stand still). After you moved in front of him, let go of L and press R to go in first person mode.

3. Aim at his head, usually he'll start shaking and will drop dog tags or items.

3a. In case he doesnt shake when aiming at this head (and saying stuff like "SHOOT ME.", you need to fire your lethal pistol at his leg, so that he'll be afraid. After that aim at his head and he'll drop the items as well.

CQC wasnt that advanced in MGS2 yet, but the other stuff I can think of is:

1. breaking an enemys neck - Walk up to an enemy, let go of all direction buttons, repeatedly press square. Will kill him, but is at least quiet. Afterwards you can still shake his body for items.

2. Throwing an enemy to make him unconscious - Walk up to an enemy from behind and press a directional button. I think its either forward or backward (walking direction).

3. Running towards an enemy and press X while running. That flip can knock an enemy unconscious as well. You might need to repeat that twice or something.

4. Using an enemy as a shield = Walk behind an enemy, let go of the stick, press square once and keep it pressed. That way you'll move him around and he'll act as a shield in case you are in a firefight.

Hm, my memory is too foggy on MGS3, but for MGS2 (which does not nearly have as much CQC as MGS3):

Searching the enemy as in getting items = Pressing square over their dead or unconscious body.

Otherwise, if they still live (or you want dog tags):

1. Sneak up behind an enemy, equip a pistol, and get close to them. Press and hold square. If Snake says "freeze" and the enemy shows his hands, you have done this correctly.

2. Now keep pressing square, while you press L to move while continuing to aim your weapon (otherwise the enemy wont stand still). After you moved in front of him, let go of L and press R to go in first person mode.

3. Aim at his head, usually he'll start shaking and will drop dog tags or items.

3a. In case he doesnt shake when aiming at this head (and saying stuff like "SHOOT ME.", you need to fire your lethal pistol at his leg, so that he'll be afraid. After that aim at his head and he'll drop the items as well.

CQC wasnt that advanced in MGS2 yet, but the other stuff I can think of is:

1. breaking an enemys neck - Walk up to an enemy, let go of all direction buttons, repeatedly press square. Will kill him, but is at least quiet. Afterwards you can still shake his body for items.

2. Throwing an enemy to make him unconscious - Walk up to an enemy from behind and press a directional button. I think its either forward or backward (walking direction).

3. Running towards an enemy and press X while running. That flip can knock an enemy unconscious as well. You might need to repeat that twice or something.

Thanks Man, I was tired of getting my ass handed too me in the forest, because It was a sneak mission and i will always alert those bastards.

Toma

Thanks Man, I was tired of getting my ass handed too me in the forest, because It was a sneak mission and i will always alert those bastards.

No problem! MGS3 has actually way more stuff, but the MGS2 stuff should be enough to get you through the game =p

And what I described was MGS2, I hope most of it still works the same way in MGS3.

gryz

Banned
sorry if this has been covered already, but I have already put 100 hours into the MGS 2 VR missions on ps3, will this transfer over to the vita one or do I have to start fresh if I want to transFAR?

Ridley327

You actually don't have to injure an uncooperative enemy to get their dog tags. There's two additional ways to make them drop it:

1. Fire an unsilenced gun by their ear (obviously, you don't want to shoot their head)
2. Equip the Stinger and aim it at them (the best method :D )

Toma

You actually don't have to injure an uncooperative enemy to get their dog tags. There's two additional ways to make them drop it:

1. Fire an unsilenced gun by their ear (obviously, you don't want to shoot their head)

True, but it will take a while until you'll find the stinger =p
Apparently doesnt matter for him anyway since he is playing MGS3, though.

Toma

Pretty sure I managed to beat all those VR missions 10 years ago. How did those drive me NOT insane back then.

Currently raging over the last Stinger mission -_-

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Peace Walker's exclusion is enough for me to not want this anymore. It was one of the only MG games I haven't played yet and wanted to play it as a portable release, but also without having to deal with the jaggies on the PSP along with improved camera controls. Bummer.

Same :(.

BigTnaples

Gotta love the attention to detail in MGS games.

Koroviev

Gotta love the attention to detail in MGS games.

Yeah, that's really cool.

For you guys who have played both, how does the Vita version compare to the PS3 version? I know it's missing Peace Walker, but that's not a big deal to me. I'm just wondering about presentation/performance. Have the one for Vita, but I haven't opened it yet :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm trying to log-in to PSN so that when I save the game for the first time, the trophies would transfer back and fort with PS3 version. However, no matter how many times I try, it won't log in to PSN. It's stuck on the "Connecting to Playstation Network... Please Wait..." screen forever. I had this exact same problem the other day with LBP demo. On PS3 I can log-in to PSN without a problem. On Vita PSN logging is haphazard even outside of games. I can for example see trophies but can't see friends (same forever stuck screen). Is this normal due to some recent PSN maintenance, or what gives?

*edit* Nevermind, restarting Vita has resolved this completely.

Zen

Banned
Does Peace Walker running on Vita, or PSP, have the ability to log into the online servers for Peace Walker in the HD collection? Not including the HD Peace Walker in the Vita collection seems pretty damn stupid.

Ridley327

Does Peace Walker running on Vita, or PSP, have the ability to log into the online servers for Peace Walker in the HD collection? Not including the HD Peace Walker in the Vita collection seems pretty damn stupid.

It can't play with HD Collection owners since technically speaking, there is no online play in the PSP version.

Zen

Banned
Why didn't they include Peace Walker in the Vita HD collection again? You'd figure that they could have patched the PSP version or something.

Sintoid

I can understand that they don't want to sell Peace Walker on Vita because of DD Version (I can understan it... not approve it I mean...)

But....

Well, at least a price drop to 9.99 in the colleciton launch window, or a voucher to buy it with a discounted price... there's a lot of things konami can do to avoid being complained...

Famassu

With low resolution, low framerate, and incorrect control support.
PSP games look just fine on Vita. haven't tried Peace Walker since I don't want to doubledip at 20€, but many other games which were a bit cumbersome on PSP are much improved by Vita's additional control methods, hardware & screen (they look awesome).

Toma

With low resolution, low framerate, and incorrect control support.

An HD port is obviously preferred.

I am still hoping/daydreaming for a PSP pack rerelease, MG Acid 1+2 + Portable Ops + Peace Walker :p

Peace Walker in proper resolution would be ace, even as a standalone game for a reduced price. Don't think thats going to happen though since its already available in PSP form :(

Agree with Dark and everyone else. Such a cocktease when MGS2 jumps to 60fps. Devs should have fucking known better and locked it to 30.
Didn't hurt me none in Sigma Plus (DAT image PQ) and it would have been just as fine here

Fluctuating framerate DOES cheapen the quality of it all.

That being said...

OMG OMG OMG Snake in my pants!!!

It's really a shame, because that shoddy framerate is exactly why I'll never buy this for the Vita.

Toma

It's really a shame, because that shoddy framerate is exactly why I'll never buy this for the Vita.

Eh, its not as bad as it sounds. I thought it would bother me more, but most of the time its pretty solid.

Toma

the framerate isn't that big of a deal, it still runs really well. I would recommend to get it.

Yep, I am still having a stupid amount of fun with it. Wouldnt have thought this game could hook me this much again.

BigTnaples

Erm, the framerate is far from shoddy.

It is 60fps indoors, and 30 outdoors, and 15 hours into MGS2 I have not had it dip below 30.

MGS3 is a locked 30fps.

The Vita version is fine framerate wise.

Would have preferred locked 60 everywhere for MGS2, but hey, it looks great and I am playing it on a freaking handheld. I still remember watching the first E3 trailer and having my mind blow that a video game could look that good. And now I can play it anywhere.

Top Bottom