• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

TheGrue

You guys keep mentioning playing Peace Walker on Vita. When I go to the store on the Vita, I don't see it on there as something to buy/redownload. Is this one where you have to buy on PS3 and then transfer over? If so, what's the deal with that? Why wouldn't they just put them on the Vita store as well?

^ Unfortunately, yes, as of right now, Peace Walker has to be transferred through a PS3. A real bummer that Vita only gamers can't play it, yet Konami keeps mentioning that "Oh, you can still play Peace Walker by buying the PSP version."

UberTag

You guys keep mentioning playing Peace Walker on Vita. When I go to the store on the Vita, I don't see it on there as something to buy/redownload. Is this one where you have to buy on PS3 and then transfer over? If so, what's the deal with that? Why wouldn't they just put them on the Vita store as well?
You can play the PSP version of Peace Walker on the Vita.
If it's only on the PS3 marketplace, it's just one of those Sony quirks because it works perfectly fine going the data transfer route.

That being said, the one big perk of the MGS HD games on Vita and Peace Walker when playing it on the PSP... namely transfarring... doesn't work on the Vita. Perhaps that's why it hasn't found its way to the Vita Store.

can anyone confirm how much space this collection uses on a memory stick (psn version)?

Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection ($34.99)
From acclaimed director, Hideo Kojima, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for the PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment system includes two legendary MGS titles – Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
ESRB rated M
File size 3.29 GB

There you go.

btkadams

There you go.

thank you! looks like i will be going digital. i have mgs1 on psn too, so it makes sense (too bad i can't play it on my vita yet lol).

also, peace walker psp is now playable on vita??? i tried transferring from my ps3 about a month ago and it didn't work... has it always worked or is this recent?

You're strange.

Games should be fun. You're doing it wrong. :p

But I do find the Tanker fun, it's just the Plant and VR Missions that are awful. And seeing as I've already finished those numerous times before, I figure I may as well do it just a few more times.

^ Unfortunately, yes, as of right now, Peace Walker has to be transferred through a PS3. A real bummer that Vita only gamers can't play it, yet Konami keeps mentioning that "Oh, you can still play Peace Walker by buying the PSP version."

Though SCEE do have it (alongside PO and PO+) on their stores.

^ Which is partially what makes me upset haha, considering I bought Portable Ops (digitally) during my wait for the Vita only to find out that it wouldn't work. I cannot possibly understand why the European version works, but not the North American. I know its only $9.99, but its more about actually wanting to play the game haha!

^ Which is partially what makes me upset haha, considering I bought Portable Ops (digitally) during my wait for the Vita only to find out that it wouldn't work. I cannot possibly understand why the European version works, but not the North American. I know its only $9.99, but its more about actually wanting to play the game haha!

Yeah, I'm not sure. Killzone: Liberation and Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow work in the US but not here. So either the different localisations/languages introduced new bugs or I guess SCEA/SCEE QA just spotted different problems. It's all very annoying.

I'd suggest you hold off on Peace Walker until you've played Portable Ops though. I don't think it'll be too easy going back to THAT when you've already played some sweet sweet PW.

They don't :(

To lower your weapon after aiming it, hit down on the dpad. Leading is done with the touchscreen now.

Leading?

Well the lack of digital buttons should make the VR Missions where you're given a FAMAS to hold up guards a bit easier, right?

I'd suggest you hold off on Peace Walker until you've played Portable Ops though. I don't think it'll be too easy going back to THAT when you've already played some sweet sweet PW.

I actually miscommunicated that. I've played Portable Ops a ton of times on PSP, but I bought the digital version and traded in the physical version in preparation for the Vita coming out. Of course, I still can play the digital version on PSP, but I was really looking forward to using the second analog stick for the camera.

thank you! looks like i will be going digital. i have mgs1 on psn too, so it makes sense (too bad i can't play it on my vita yet lol).

also, peace walker psp is now playable on vita??? i tried transferring from my ps3 about a month ago and it didn't work... has it always worked or is this recent?

You're welcome. Peace Walker has always worked for me. Maybe it's because I'm in the U.S.? I don't know if it works for EU vita owners.

I actually miscommunicated that. I've played Portable Ops a ton of times on PSP, but I bought the digital version and traded in the physical version in preparation for the Vita coming out. Of course, I still can play the digital version on PSP, but I was really looking forward to using the second analog stick for the camera.

Oh okay, well... It still sucks.

btkadams

You're welcome. Peace Walker has always worked for me. Maybe it's because I'm in the U.S.? I don't know if it works for EU vita owners.

hmm...i'm in canada so it should be the same as you. maybe i did something wrong haha. i could copy over other games. i'll have to check tonight.

Revan

If anyone has a problem with MG2:SS they NEED to reference this guide....it was written back when the emulators were the only way to play MG2:SS and it has to be the best (read:hilarious) guide ever written.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
It's taking me a bit of time to get used to the controls. The last MGS I played was the original on ps1 l0l. Aside from this learning curve, the game looks amazing!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I think the game looks really washed out and clearly sub-native. I wish they would've locked the framerate of MGS2 at 30fps.

spats

I think the game looks really washed out and clearly sub-native. I wish they would've locked the framerate of MGS2 at 30fps.

The 'washed out' pastel-y look of MGS2 is a stylistic choice I really like. Can't wait to see how it looks in person on the Vita screen.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
The 'washed out' pastel-y look of MGS2 is a stylistic choice I really like. Can't wait to see how it looks in person on the Vita screen.
I was talking about MGS3 when mentioning washed out, specifically. I booted the 3DS version up for a comparison, and the picture is far richer on the 3DS. Obviously, the Vita version wins handily overall.

I was talking about MGS3 when mentioning washed out, specifically. I booted the 3DS version up for a comparison, and the picture is far richer on the 3DS. Obviously, the Vita version wins handily overall.

That's part of the aesthetic. They were going for an Ico-esque type look.

Do the posters in MGS3 still look completely fucked up? That was something that really popped out when playing through the PS3 version. The one in the Groznyj Grad locker room was just one big blur.

A little annoyed that no trophy's are available due to my transfarred PS3 save being made before the update. Uhhhhhh!

Does that mean we can't even transfar to Vita, then back to PS3 and get trophies there? Does it lock us out entirely? I'm so close to getting MGS2 platinum, and if I were to transfar tonight as planned....would I ruin my save from ever completing a platinum??

Does that mean we can't even transfar to Vita, then back to PS3 and get trophies there? Does it lock us out entirely? I'm so close to getting MGS2 platinum, and if I were to transfar tonight as planned....would I ruin my save from ever completing a platinum??

Not sure. I just got a generic warning saying something about trophies not being available due to either the save file was made before the update or to being signed out of playstation network at the time of the original save (which I wasn't).

When you call Otacon/Rose to save, save once on your normal file, and then call again and save on a separate file.

Use the new file you just made to transfar. That way you can at least transfar what progress you have (even if you can't get any Vita trophies with it) and finish the platinum on your "main" save.

When you call Otacon/Rose to save, save once on your normal file, and then call again and save on a separate file.

Use the new file you just made to transfar. That way you can at least transfar what progress you have (even if you can't get any Vita trophies with it) and finish the platinum on your "main" save.

You're right, that would at least prevent me from having to do it all over again. I guess I was wishing for the ability to progress on Vita, then transfer it back to PS3 and be able to still get trophies there. Sounds like that isn't possible.

I'm pretty sure you could have just one save on the PS3, just don't overwrite it with a future transfarred save from the Vita.

Bebpo

Banned
Couple of questions:

-How does the Vita version handle the pressure sensitive controls in MGS3?
-How does the Vita version handle the L2/R2 controls in MGS2 & MGS3?
-Are both sub-QHD?
-What framerate are both?
-Load times?

Still haven't played my HD collection on PS3 yet. Might wait until I have a plane flight or something and go for the Vita one since the games would be great to have on the go.

mauaus

Couple of questions:

-How does the Vita version handle the pressure sensitive controls in MGS3?
-How does the Vita version handle the L2/R2 controls in MGS2 & MGS3?
-Are both sub-QHD?
-What framerate are both?
-Load times?

Still haven't played my HD collection on PS3 yet. Might wait until I have a plane flight or something and go for the Vita one since the games would be great to have on the go.

Check a few posts up for your first 2 questions,

nOoblet16

Double Buffered V synced setup for MGS2...I am disappoint !
It's so jarring to see outdoor scenes run at 30FPS, when even the PS2 version never went as low as 30FPS (Don't remember if it was V locked or not though). The game might be native res though.

Kazerei

Banned
OK, so I played more MGS2 and the results are not bad but definitely not as good as they should be.

Basically, it runs with double buffered v-sync enabled which means that it will switch between either 30 fps or 60 fps. More demanding scenes are 30 while the simpler scenes switch to 60. The rainy tanker is all 30 but when you step inside it jumps to 60 fps. Unfortunately, when the camera faces certain directions or the action becomes busy the framerate dips back to 30.

All cutscenes seem limited to 30 fps max as are the codec scenes. With this kind of performance they should have just locked it down to 30.

It's not native resolution either. It seems to run at a higher resolution than the likes of Uncharted, thankfully, but it's definitely sub-qHD. At least menu and HUD elements are all razor sharp.

That said, even like this, it's vastly superior to the god awful 3DS port of Snake Eater which topped out at 20 fps while still suffering from slowdown.

This sounds right. I just finished the tanker chapter, and inside the tanker, the framerate was buttery smooth (60fps). Outside the tanker, and in the hold, the framerate seemed lower but consistent (30fps).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's so jarring to see outdoor scenes run at 30FPS, when even the PS2 version never went as low as 30FPS (Don't remember if it was V locked or not though). The game might be native res though.
Still, this is a port of a game made very specifically for PS2 hardware. Even the 360 and PS3 versions of these games have bits of slowdown here and there so I'm not surprised that the Vita version has more severe issues.

MGS2 was simply a very impressive technical showpiece for its day. When Silicon Knights did the remake of MGS1 for Gamecube using a lot of the base code the results were choppy in comparison to MGS2 on PS2 (constant dips to 30 fps under any load).

Eusis

Man, maybe I should've just hunted down the MGS Trilogy pack when I could've bought it if it was that demanding. Maybe we'd have been better off with another generation of waiting?

But I don't think I've heard anything on sound/movie quality. Is it equal quality, diminished in a hard-to-notice way, or is it notably worse?

Piggus

The image quality is waaaaaaaay better than other sub qHD games I've played. So if it really is running at a sub qHD resolution, it can't be much lower. It looks really smooth.

Uh, yeah it did. Not under normal play sure but if you created too many particle effects (like blowing up a couple of stinger missile on a wall near you), the framerate would crumble.

Bukana

Ok, so I have a couple of questions:
-Can I get the PS3 trophies even if I don't have the PS3 game!?
-I wanna get a Platinum on both 2&3, should I choose a Tanker or Plant, is there an easy guide !?

Thanks.

nOoblet16

Uh, yeah it did. Not under normal play sure but if you created too many particle effects (like blowing up a couple of stinger missile on a wall near you), the framerate would crumble.

Which doesn't count. There are a lot of games where you can chug up the framerate by filling up the screen with lots of alpha overdraw, but that doesn't means anything.

The only time I remember slowdown in MGS2 was the final boss fight every time he did a certain attack. Very strange given it wasn't the most impressive looking scene by a long shot. That was PAL version, not sure about others.

The game runs fine. All of this nitpicking is a little over the top - oh wait, this is Gaf.

Loving the heck out of this. Still can't believe how great it looks.

Top Bottom