• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Revan

Ok, so I have a couple of questions:
-Can I get the PS3 trophies even if I don't have the PS3 game!?
-I wanna get a Platinum on both 2&3, should I choose a Tanker or Plant, is there an easy guide !?

Thanks.

IIRC you can plat MGS3 in a single playthrough - just find a guide.

MGS2 on the other hand......5 playthroughs? I think? for all the dog tags on all the difficulty levels?

I might be mistaken however as I haven't touched MGS2 yet.

MGS3 is fantastic however.

EDIT: Basing this off of the PS3 HD Collection - I don't think that anything changed in the port.

Kazerei

Banned
Just got into
Shell 1 Core in the Plant chapter
in MGS2. I'm playing on Very Easy and these dogtags are getting pretty annoying. I had to backtrack to grab a few, and I think I permanently missed one (for this playthrough). Argh.

Roubjon

I love these games so much that when I eventually get a Vita and these games I won't care at all that I have to re-get a bunch of these trophies. Just the idea that I can play MGS 1-3 on a single portable system is pretty damn exciting. I'm not going to ignore that it still sucks that you can't just transfar your old data flawlessly though.

Played of bit of MGS2 and game looks great, especially inside the tanker. I haven't played MGS2 in about 8 years and it takes a some getting used to the controls again, as they run counter to a lot of modern games. Feels great to play it again though, on dat OLED!

Nnamz

Banned
Probably been mentioned already, does MGS2/3 run at full resolution and use any AA?

It doesn't run at 544p, no. But it's much higher res than Uncharted, which ran at 408p. Graphics look perfectly sharp.

AA I'm not sure. I'm assuming so since I haven't noticed jaggies at all.

Reclaimer

I've never beat MGS 2 or 3, so I picked this up for vita.

I'm having one hell of a time with the controls in MGS 2 (started that first). Is there something I can read/watch to help a MGS noob like me play this "correctly"?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all

I'm having one hell of a time with the controls in MGS 2 (started that first). Is there something I can read/watch to help a MGS noob like me play this "correctly"?

I'm having the same problems, and am also a MGS noob. I hate using the back-touch screen to lean or whatever.

Chesskid1

Banned

i had to play a few min, watch the video tutorials, play some more, watch the video tutorials a few times, play some more. got the controls down and this game is pretty awesome. some of the things feel outdated (like you can't lock on to walls like modern stealth games) but i slowly gotten used to it. just keep playing and you'll figure it out.

i have quite a bit of trouble trying to sneak behind guards and choke them out (i end up throwing them most of the time), i just end up tranquilizing them instead, kinda sucks since i like sneaking behind then choking.

helluva value for the $30 i spent IMO

Just got into
Shell 1 Core in the Plant chapter
in MGS2. I'm playing on Very Easy and these dogtags are getting pretty annoying. I had to backtrack to grab a few, and I think I permanently missed one (for this playthrough). Argh.

I remember a couple dog tags being pretty difficult during the tanker chapter on the very easy and easy difficulties. I think some of those difficult ones were in the area with the projector.

Cartman86

Banned
i had to play a few min, watch the video tutorials, play some more, watch the video tutorials a few times, play some more. got the controls down and this game is pretty awesome. some of the things feel outdated (like you can't lock on to walls like modern stealth games) but i slowly gotten used to it. just keep playing and you'll figure it out.

i have quite a bit of trouble trying to sneak behind guards and choke them out (i end up throwing them most of the time), i just end up tranquilizing them instead, kinda sucks since i like sneaking behind then choking.

helluva value for the $30 i spent IMO

Yeah if the stick is pressed in any direction I think while grabbing someone in MGS3 you will throw them.

I just my copy, MGS2 being 30fps in a lot of situations is a bit weird, the Tanker bridge section is like 30fps in on place and if you take a step down it turns 60fps, even so having these games in a portable platform is awesome. Also MGS3, even though it's 30fps, its a smooth experience.

I'm having the same problems, and am also a MGS noob. I hate using the back-touch screen to lean or whatever.

The touch screen for lean is optional. The problem is say when you first lean on the wall the camera is facing the side of you so you have to press left to hug the left wall and you hold up to move up, but as you near a door way the camera now changes to face you. Naturally you are thinking right will move you to peek around the corner, but the controls are still obeying the rule of up moving you up, so actually holding left will keep you against the wall and moving up will peek around the corner.

It's confusing because it runs counter to what your eyes and brain think should be left and right, but once you figure it out it isn't much of an issue.

I understand the small framerate issues, which are noticeable, but man does this game look pretty. Beat the Tanker last night, gonna try to complete the Plant later.

newsguy

I never got past the tanker in MGS 2 when it was new. All these years later this game is new to me. I'm 6 hours in now and enjoying it. This game holds up so well. Mechanically it's dated but I can deal.

Mzo

I never got past the tanker in MGS 2 when it was new. All these years later this game is new to me. I'm 6 hours in now and enjoying it. This game holds up so well. Mechanically it's dated but I can deal.
MGS2 Tanker demo in ZOE is the best Metal Gear anything of all time.

I was so burned by the whole no snake aspect of mgs2 that I played through it once when it first released and never touched it again. I'm thinking I will eventually get this.. but even that's mainly due to my love of mgs3. Maybe going into mgs2 with different expectations will change my view of the game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is the voice acting/script in MGS3 as bad throughout the whole game as it is during the first 15 minutes? Sweet Jesus, I hope not.

Desmond

I was so burned by the whole no snake aspect of mgs2 that I played through it once when it first released and never touched it again. I'm thinking I will eventually get this.. but even that's mainly due to my love of mgs3. Maybe going into mgs2 with different expectations will change my view of the game.

Hopefully it does change your view. 2 is the best game in the series ;)

I started playing MGS2 at work and then played until 2AM last night, I forgot how much I loved MGS2. This really is just what my Vita needed (well this and Gravity Rush, which I barely touched so far ><)

I can't wait to dive into MGS3 which I've never beaten as I'm hearing that's the best one :D Playing this on my Vita just feels right

Kazerei

Banned
It doesn't run at 544p, no. But it's much higher res than Uncharted, which ran at 408p. Graphics look perfectly sharp.

AA I'm not sure. I'm assuming so since I haven't noticed jaggies at all.

I'm seeing lots of jaggies, not that it really matters.

Can't believe how much I suck at MGS2. I haven't played it in 7 years and I'm setting off alarms everywhere. I'm really rusty.

I think the game looks and runs silky smooth on the Vita.

suikodan

3DS version has 3D turned on = comparison fail.

The 3D light is always on, even with the effect turned off...

And judging by the video shown, the 3DS version isn't that bad. I will certainly miss crouching and PW's aiming on MGS3Vita :(

I'm getting the most enjoyment out of MGS2 I've had in years. I normally watch the cutscenes but end up skipping most of the Codec conversations. This time, not only am I listening to everything, but I'm frequently calling Otacon/Campbell/Rose (yes, even Rose) to just see what interesting conversations happen. Most of them, I haven't even heard, such as some of the weapon/item descriptions.

Also, I got a kick out of Otacon saying, "use the touchscreen," etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The 3D light is always on, even with the effect turned off...

And judging by the video shown, the 3DS version isn't that bad. I will certainly miss crouching and PW's aiming on MGS3Vita :(
I own both and the difference is tremendous.

The 3DS version is limited to 20 fps max and slows down quite regularly. Cutscenes often drop into the single digits while gameplay very commonly drops into the teens. It's very choppy.

Furthermore, the low screen resolution results in some pretty messy visuals on top of the poor performance.

Now it WOULD be awesome to have the improved aiming of the 3DS version included in the Vita version and it's a shame they didn't add it. Crouch walking isn't a huge loss, though, as the AI didn't really seem to act all that differently with it.

Ken

How fun is MGS2? I really enjoyed MGS3 on the PS2 which is my primary reason for getting this, but should I try out MGS2 as well? How does it hold up?

Nnamz

Banned
3DS version has 3D turned on = comparison fail.

Nope, 3D was turned off. When 3D is turned on you'd see a double image. The scan lines in the video are from filming the low quality LCD screen on 3DS. In order to get rid of them you have to go slightly off focus, however that makes the screen look blurry and for the sake of comparing textures it would have been worse than having the lines.

Ra1den

How fun is MGS2? I really enjoyed MGS3 on the PS2 which is my primary reason for getting this, but should I try out MGS2 as well? How does it hold up?

Tons of fun, but in a different way than MGS3. Has more in common with MGS1 with the emphasis of indoor corridor sneaking over outdoor stuff. As long as you go in with an open mind and not wanting it to play a certain way, you will love it.

The only thing that I truly find dated about MGS2 is having no control over the camera (and possibly some controls, such as R to aim, and Square to shoot).

The gameplay, however, holds up great (IMO), and the VR missions are fun too. It is definitely worth playing.

Is the voice acting/script in MGS3 as bad throughout the whole game as it is during the first 15 minutes? Sweet Jesus, I hope not.

I guess my standards are low, because I think the beginning has good voice acting. However if you think that's bad, than it will only get worse for you as you encounter villains.

On a somewhat separate note, it always bothered me that nobody has a Russian accent. I understand it's because Snake is really speaking Russian, but it would've really set the tone for the setting better for me.

I... like the voice acting a lot. It bothers me how off it is from the mouth movement, but I believe that was due to it being synced to the Japanese voice acting.

I think MGS4 was the only one done to the English voice acting.

btkadams

played mgs2 for a half hour last night. maaan...it still rules. it plays/looks great on vita.

to those complaining about the controls, it gets easier. i first played through mgs1/2/3/4 when the 1-3 collection came out right before mgs4's release. it's jarring at first, but it becomes really simple. it's just not how most modern games control. don't quit! these games are sooo worth finishing.

i actually have never touched the vr missions until now... they are really tailoured for portable play!

Salaadin

The whole trophy thing is the only thing stopping me from getting this. The impressions in this thread just might push me over the edge. Quick...someone say something bad about it!

I was thinking about this....when PS1 classics come to Vita, we can play thru MGS1, 2, 3, and the 2 classics on one portable system. Thats amazing. Peace Walker too.
Too bad MGS4 probably wont ever get a Vita version.

Skilletor

I haven't played the MGS3 HD remake yet, so I don't know what it would be like at 60fps. But wow, this game is awesome on the Vita. Solid framerate throughout. Kind of makes me wish they had just capped MGS2 at 30 for a smoother experience.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I haven't played the MGS3 HD remake yet, so I don't know what it would be like at 60fps. But wow, this game is awesome on the Vita. Solid framerate throughout. Kind of makes me wish they had just capped MGS2 at 30 for a smoother experience.

Eh.. no. Its not a solid framrate. It clearly runs a different framerate in the beginning when its raining compared to the indoors section.

However, I still immensely enjoy it. I must be the only person in the world liking to collect dog tags.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh.. no. Its not a solid framrate. It clearly runs a different framerate in the beginning when its raining compared to the indoors section.

However, I still immensely enjoy it. I must be the only person in the world liking to collect dog tags.
He's talking about MGS3, not 2.

MGS3 runs at a very consistent 30 fps on Vita while MGS2 runs at either 30 or 60 fps depending on the scene. At least the VR Missions all seem to be 60 fps. :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
He's talking about MGS3, not 2.

MGS3 runs at a very consistent 30 fps on Vita while MGS2 runs at either 30 or 60 fps depending on the scene. At least the VR Missions all seem to be 60 fps. :p

Oh oops. Sorry guys! Just woke up :p

Surprised that MGS3 has a consistent framerate though, considering MGS2 had some issues.

And actually... the Game Over screen in the VR missions sometimes is not 60 FPS. I had some serious lag there. Not that it matters, but still =P

inner-G

Banned
They should have just locked 2 to 30 to shut everybody up. Even at 30, it is rock solid and plays and looks awesome.

AkuMifune

Banned
They should have just locked 2 to 30 to shut everybody up. Even at 30, it is rock solid and plays and looks awesome.

"Everybody" is like 5 people on GAF. The same 5 people. Great game is great, even greater on this little beauty.

The only thing I have an issue with is controls. Never occurred to me to use the touchscreen. Duh.

Toma

"Everybody" is like 5 people on GAF. The same 5 people. Great game is great, even greater on this little beauty.

The only thing I have an issue with is controls. Never occurred to me to use the touchscreen. Duh.

Agree, really great experience. Once again. I wonder how many people collect dog tags in MGS without wanting to, just to get the platinum.

Skilletor

It is a rock solid 30, but it's constantly dipping between the two framerates and it's extremely noticeable for me. I would rather it have been at one or the other.

It's funny that people point out that others comment on the framerate. With this being essentially the same game as on other platforms, it will be one of the distinguishing factors of this version.

kodt

Banned
Is there a way to peek out when you are in the lockers? On PS2 you could lean up next to the grate and peek left and right.

Okay, refresh my memory, but hod you collect dog tags?

Top Bottom