• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Had a glitch in MGS3. Euro Extreme... get caution near brick factory.

Time runs out...and... they all stand there... aaaand... they have super hearing... I was like "wut." They all ran up to me... and stood there... I had 95 camo... aaand.... I couldn't do anything cuz they were all right next to me...

Lots of dots, but I shit my pants.

Haha :)

On another note, I FINALLY managed to beat all of Raidens Handgun and assault rifle VR missions. Took me a while ._.
But now I am stuck on PSG Level 3! Woo. Does anyone have a good sniping spot there?

Edit: Nvm, finally got it to work after changing my shot sequence.

Edit2: Ugh, same area for PSG level 4 :(

I don't know if people saw this post I made, but I mentioned that first person mode.. control type 2, psg1... you can't aim. It's impossible. You will spin 5000rpm.

Koroviev

Erm, the framerate is far from shoddy.

It is 60fps indoors, and 30 outdoors, and 15 hours into MGS2 I have not had it dip below 30.

MGS3 is a locked 30fps.

The Vita version is fine framerate wise.

Would have preferred locked 60 everywhere for MGS2, but hey, it looks great and I am playing it on a freaking handheld. I still remember watching the first E3 trailer and having my mind blow that a video game could look that good. And now I can play it anywhere.

Unless you are constantly having to switch between indoors and outdoors, I don't see how it would be a problem. I mean, in Wipeout the framerate is all over the place and is especially poor during combat missions.

derwalde

this may sound stupid, but im not buying this (yet) because there is no standalone MGS3 remake (for half the price). i love MGS3 as much as i hate MGS2. :(

Koroviev

this may sound stupid, but im not buying this (yet) because there is no standalone MGS3 remake (for half the price). i love MGS3 as much as i hate MGS2. :(

Are you talking about the 3DS version? That thing is a disaster, performance-wise. Also, the MGS collection includes the original Metal Gear games as well.

derwalde

no im talking about the VITA version. i know its silly but i dont like to purchase MGS2 in this collection. just give me a MGS3 standalone for the VITA (someday ill buy that collection anyway).

Koroviev

no im talking about the VITA version. i know its silly but i dont like to purchase MGS2 in this collection. just give me a MGS3 standalone for the VITA (someday ill buy that collection anyway).

I could see them splitting up the collection into digital downloads like they did with the Team Ico collection.

Zen

Banned
Because there IS a PSP version you can easily buy from the PS Store?

With low framerate, low resolution and missing features (most importantly ONLINE SERVERS for the co-op and versus multiplayer). Sure, PSP games look better on Vita, but it's a far cry from the quality you would get with Peace Walker HD running on Vita. It makes no sense to exclude Peace Walker, and frankly I probably won't bother with the Vita collection because it is missing online play/Peace Walker for absolutely no reason. I guess it really does justify the price difference, amusingly enough.

EekTheKat

It was worth it for MGS3 alone for me - I had forgotten how much I loved this game back in the day.

First run on hard took me 17 hours lol about 3 were spent learning/readjusting to the new controls. Ultimately I think I prefer the Vita controls now over the standard MGS3 controls - I didn't once have an accidental throat slit due to pressing a button too hard, and once you get use to the touchpad implementation it actually works out nicely.

The only complaint I had was with strafing, but once I figured that out everything else just totally clicked.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

That is very silly.

Especially considering MGS2 is a great game. :p

Earned the Hurt Locker trophy, saved on vita. Transfarred. Got PS3 trophy.

I love magical technology.

Did you or anyone else notice any trophies that you knew you did in one version, not transfarring over properly? Because I did the Underwear Picture trophy (or whatever it's called) on the PS3 but it didn't do a thing when transfarred. I ended up doing it again on the Vita.

Oni Jazar

With low framerate, low resolution and missing features (most importantly ONLINE SERVERS for the co-op and versus multiplayer). Sure, PSP games look better on Vita, but it's a far cry from the quality you would get with Peace Walker HD running on Vita. It makes no sense to exclude Peace Walker, and frankly I probably won't bother with the Vita collection because it is missing online play/Peace Walker for absolutely no reason. I guess it really does justify the price difference, amusingly enough.

You've just explained why there's no PW for Vita. It's too much work.

Grisby

Playing through MGS2 and am remembering how much I love that tanker. ;; Shame Raiden is coming up.

Couple questions though as it's been soooo long since I played through this:
1) Any way to put your gun down in first person without firing?
2) How do you do pull ups again?

Kazerei

Banned
Got the stealth suit for the Tanker chapter, yay. It's funny to use it to beat up Marines in the Hold. The spinkick sends their bodies flying and they get knocked over like dominoes.

Now to work on getting dogtags in the Plant chapter... :\

Did you or anyone else notice any trophies that you knew you did in one version, not transfarring over properly? Because I did the Underwear Picture trophy (or whatever it's called) on the PS3 but it didn't do a thing when transfarred. I ended up doing it again on the Vita.

Thats the only trophy I've earned so I can't say.

Oni Jazar

Playing through MGS2 and am remembering how much I love that tanker. ;; Shame Raiden is coming up.

Couple questions though as it's been soooo long since I played through this:
1) Any way to put your gun down in first person without firing?
2) How do you do pull ups again?

1 - down on the d-pad.

Skilletor

Unless you are constantly having to switch between indoors and outdoors, I don't see how it would be a problem. I mean, in Wipeout the framerate is all over the place and is especially poor during combat missions.

The game's framerate drops at any sign of action. It's not just indoors/outdoors.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
One of my favorite parts of MGS2 is the music. Goddamn the jazziness is awesome. DEAD CELL

Rumble19

So I have mgs2 on ps3. I have like 90% of the trophies. When I load it up on my vita, all of the same trophies should pop on there? Then I could just work on the VR missions slowly ;)

Glix

One of my favorite parts of MGS2 is the music. Goddamn the jazziness is awesome. DEAD CELL

I'm loving playing this, I don't think I've played through it since it first came out...

but man, when you first get to Big Shell there is a TON of exposition. I mean.. wow. Every time you move 3 steps the codec goes off.

It looks so good. I've been playing F-Zero Gx lately too. Talk about some old games that still look hot as hell...

Do people seriously do 200 f'n pullups? That'd take forever. Just drop from a railing and grab a lower ledge 20 times, it's MUCH faster. If you're worried about missing the ledge and dying, just exit the area and then re-enter every 5 drops or something.

Do people seriously do 200 f'n pullups? That'd take forever. Just drop from a railing and grab a lower ledge 20 times, it's MUCH faster. If you're worried about missing the ledge and dying, just exit the area and then re-enter every 5 drops or something.

Wait...you can do that? *mindblown*
I was dreading doing all those pullups.

Zen

Banned
You've just explained why there's no PW for Vita. It's too much work.

How? 95% of all of the work was already done with the console version of Peace Walker, including all the work to give it online multiplayer. Keep in mind that these are rebuilds, and with the lowest specs of the three 3D games in the HD collection, it would also mean the least work to get up and running well on Vita.

How? 95% of all of the work was already done with the console version of Peace Walker, including all the work to give it online multiplayer. Keep in mind that these are rebuilds, and with the lowest specs of the three 3D games in the HD collection, it would also mean the least work to get up and running well on Vita.

Probably it is about size. Maybe the HD versions of MGS2 and MGS3 took up most of the vita' cartridge size ( 4 gigs I think) hence they probably chose to omit peacewalker HD because it saves them money in more ways than one.

EDIT: Since it seems as if size is an issue for now I wouldn't be surprised that some devs are waiting for sony to offer larger sizes before certain titles will hit vita. Hence the large showing of supposed support from some third parties before launch and the relative silence now.

Eusis

Probably it is about size. Maybe the HD versions of MGS2 and MGS3 took up most of the vita' cartridge size ( 4 gigs I think) hence they probably chose to omit peacewalker HD because it saves them money in more ways than one.
Yeah, I sometimes think people forget about the size of these things, it's a miracle these games manages to be stuffed on a vita cart as it was. And it was a two DVD collection on Xbox, forget whether MGS2&3 were on the same disc or not though (assuming so if they fit them on a single Vita cart).

Koroviev

EDIT: Since it seems as if size is an issue for now I wouldn't be surprised that some devs are waiting for sony to offer larger sizes before certain titles will hit vita. Hence the large showing of supposed support from some third parties before launch and the relative silence now.

Well, the Vita collection is ~3.5 gigs :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't know if people saw this post I made, but I mentioned that first person mode.. control type 2, psg1... you can't aim. It's impossible. You will spin 5000rpm.

Did you try holding L to slow your aim?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
"Don't test it. You'll be bacon."

Haha. I forgot how entertaining the conversations in these games are.

just start mgs3 on vita (watching cutscene now) man that opening cutscene kinda blew my mind that it is actually on handheld. I really like how clean ps2 game in higher res look. I have to say, I think I like this visual better than even Uncharted GA. it looks more appealing to me.

Wait...you can do that? *mindblown*
I was dreading doing all those pullups.

It's impossible doing pullups on that fucking track pad. The gesture recognition is so spotty.

Did you try holding L to slow your aim?

Doesn't work. It's a glitch. You're already in first person, then you aim with the right stick... so it like multiplies (maybe adds.. seems more than that though) both aiming from the normal FPS view and the PSG-1 view as well.

Toma

It's impossible doing pullups on that fucking track pad. The gesture recognition is so spotty.

What finally worked for me reliably was putting two fingers of my hand in next to each other in the middle of the backpad, and then pushing them up. Let go, and doing the same again.

Toma

Doesn't work. It's a glitch. You're already in first person, then you aim with the right stick... so it like multiplies (maybe adds.. seems more than that though) both aiming from the normal FPS view and the PSG-1 view as well.

You are talking about the First person mode view PSG missions of of Raiden, right? Gonna try that. Would be bad if those were bugged :(

Toma

Geez. I played MGS2 for 4 hours straight and thought "well saving wouldnt be a bad idea now". 5 minutes later I dived under water and died from missing air - critical error, game crashed.

Still have to redo a boss fight, but eh. That was lucky.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm torn. I know I'll play the games more on a portable device, but the framerate issues sound like they could really hamper the experience :\

They really don't...

See my earlier posts in this thread, I too was really concerned with framerate, but once I got the game my worries went away. The game plays very well, and framerate is never an issue aside from teasing how good it could look if it was 60fps the whole time.

Toma

They really don't...

See my earlier posts in this thread, I too was really concerned with framerate, but once I got the game my worries went away. The game plays very well, and framerate is never an issue aside from teasing how good it could look if it was 60fps the whole time.

I fully agree, its basically not an issue and looks/feels great on Vita.

aett

Geez. I played MGS2 for 4 hours straight and thought "well saving wouldnt be a bad idea now". 5 minutes later I dived under water and died from missing air - critical error, game crashed.

Still have to redo a boss fight, but eh. That was lucky.

Sounds like the same glitch that I had. I wonder why that happens there.

Toma

Sounds like the same glitch that I had. I wonder why that happens there.

Sooo glad I saved shortly before that >_> Is there a way to report bugs/glitches like that? A fix might not be too hard in this case.

Top Bottom