• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Koroviev

They really don't...

See my earlier posts in this thread, I too was really concerned with framerate, but once I got the game my worries went away. The game plays very well, and framerate is never an issue aside from teasing how good it could look if it was 60fps the whole time.

I fully agree, its basically not an issue and looks/feels great on Vita.

Thanks for the input, guys. I've never played an MGS game before, so I'm really looking forward to giving the games a shot. Going to play the original MGS when Sony has finally sorted out PSX support for Vita.

Still trying to decide if I want to play this or Gravity Rush first (playing Tactics Ogre in the meantime, lol) (>_<)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Thanks for the input, guys. I've never played an MGS game before, so I'm really looking forward to giving the games a shot. Going to play the original MGS when Sony has finally sorted out PSX support for Vita.

Still trying to decide if I want to play this or Gravity Rush first (playing Tactics Ogre in the meantime, lol) (>_<)

Well as I said before, I would wait and play MGS1 first.

Do you own a PS3/2, Gamecube or Wii? If so, play MGS1, and gravity rush now and wait.

Playing MGS2 before one you will be completely and utterly lost.

It would be like watching The Return of the King, Matrix Revolutions, Kill Bill Volume 2, or Return of the Jedi before all others and expecting to derive any meaning from the story. It really is not a good way to do it.

Play Gravity Rush for now, and wait for MGS1 on Vita if you must, or play it on another console if you can.

Whatever you do though, play MGS1/MGS TTS first. It is a must.

Koroviev

Well as I said before, I would wait and play MGS1 first.

Do you own a PS3/2, Gamecube or Wii? If so, play MGS1, and gravity rush now and wait.

Playing MGS2 before one you will be completely and utterly lost.

It would be like watching The Return of the King, Matrix Revolutions, Kill Bill Volume 2, or Return of the Jedi, and expecting to derive any meaning from the story. It really is not a good way to do it.

Play Gravity Rush for now, and wait for MGS1 on Vita if you must, or play it on another console if you can.

Whatever you do though, play MGS1/MGS TTS first. It is a must.

Well, I do have a PS3. How bad does the game look on an HDTV? Also, how long is it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Well since you havent played MGS1 yet, go with Gravity Rush. I bought GR and MGS at the same time and put about 15 hours into MGS and 2 into GR.. Both are fantastic, though. No doubt about that.

But if you havent played MGS1 AND still want to play it, then go with GR now and pick up MGSHD after you got to play MGS1.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, I do have a PS3. How bad does the game look on an HDTV? Also, how long is it?

12-15 hours. And its a 3D PS1 game, I dont think it holds up that well, but yeah definitely play it before 2 and 3.

On that matter though, despite the nowadays poor graphics, the game is still crazy good.

BigTnaples

Perfect!

Not that bad. PS3 does some up-scaling and some texture smoothing. Though it is still a PS1 game, so don't expect a miracle. And it is not that long, I would say 15 hours, but it has been a while since I beat it.

Also, using remote play you can play MGS1 on your Vita screen if you prefer. I was doing that yesterday and it worked great.

Toma

I wonder how
the Vita will handle the "mined control" boss.

Hm? You mean MGS1 via PS1 classic?

Well he
is not unbeatable without doing the mind trick. The first time I played the game I've done it without controller plugging.

Koroviev

12-15 hours. And its a 3D PS1 game, I dont think it holds up that well, but yeah definitely play it before 2 and 3.

On that matter though, despite the nowadays poor graphics, the game is still crazy good.

Perfect!

Not that bad. PS3 does some up-scaling and some texture smoothing. Though it is still a PS1 game, so don't expect a miracle. And it is not that long, I would say 15 hours, but it has been a while since I beat it.

Also, using remote play you can play MGS1 on your Vita screen if you prefer. I was doing that yesterday and it worked great.

I appreciate the info, guys! Think I might watch a walkthrough of the game. Also, I'm reading that MGS2 has a menu option that recaps the events of MGS1, which would be a nice supplement.

Toma

I appreciate the info, guys! Think I might watch a walkthrough of the game. Also, I'm reading that MGS2 has a menu option that recaps the events of MGS1, which would be a nice supplement.

Wow, well it might be hard to find a walkthrough that doesnt skip over all the text. The game has quite a lot of it, quite important at that. You'll be probably better off finding a really good and exhaustive abstract/summary of MGS1.

Some stuff I found while googling:

I just watched the whole thing on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpG9XIfFkE0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpG9XIfFkE0 ...part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64m6nD14bw ....part2 skip through the cut scenes but the gut is pretty good at the game, he didn't die once that I noticed.

1. Start up Metal Gear Solid 2
2. Select Special form Menu
3. Select Previous Story
4. Select and read The New York Mirror
5. Select and read The Shocking Conspiracy Behind Shadow Moses
6. Select and read In the Darkness of Shadow Moses (AKA THE STORY OF MGS1)
7.??????
8. Profit

or alternatively the story section of MGS1's Wikipedia article. That one should be pretty in-depth.

Koroviev

Wow, well it might be hard to find a walkthrough that doesnt skip over all the text. The game has quite a lot of it, quite important at that. You'll be probably better off finding a really good and exhaustive abstract/summary of MGS1.

Some stuff I found while googling:

or alternatively the story section of MGS1's Wikipedia article. That one should be pretty in-depth.

Perfect! I think I'll watch the Let's Play you linked and do some reading. Just skimming the video a bit, I realize that I have no nostalgia for the 3D of the PSX era. It's so...creepy. For some reason, it sort of reminds me of a claymation.

Toma

Perfect! I think I'll watch the Let's Play you linked and do some reading. Just skimming the video a bit, I realize that I have no nostalgia for the 3D of the PSX era. It's so...creepy. For some reason, it sort of reminds me of a claymation.

Sure! Glad to help :) Enjoy MGS2 and 3 when you get to them. Dont be afraid to ask here for anything if you need to know something.

Toma

I know its been said a thousand times already, but the attention to detail in these games... In the sniping section with E.E., I tranquilized the other helping sniper (no name to avoid a spoiler), called him and caught him snoring. Haha.

Eusis

I have nostalgia for that 3D (so long as it's done well anyway), but I rarely really LIKED it. I remember people finding MGS amazing looking yet it didn't seem THAT great looking to me even if it did age better than most other PS1 games, though I was spoiled on 3D graphics on PC, and they outclassed PS1/N64 visuals by a far more noticeable degree than subsequent generations.

kewlmyc

Hm? You mean MGS1 via PS1 classic?

Well he
is not unbeatable without doing the mind trick. The first time I played the game I've done it without controller plugging.
Yeah, that's what I meant (damn iPhone auto corrections). Having MSG1 on the Vita as a PS1 classic could make that boss fight much harder than it has to be.

BigTnaples

I know its been said a thousand times already, but the attention to detail in these games... In the sniping section with E.E., I tranquilized the other helping sniper (no name to avoid a spoiler), called him and caught him snoring. Haha.

Amazing.

Any tips for this section? On it now and having a little trouble with it, aiming with the PSG1 is pretty sensitive....playing on hard.

Toma

Amazing.

Any tips for this section? On it now and having a little trouble with it, aiming with the PSG1 is pretty sensitive....playing on hard.

You use the Pentazemin and crouch? That will steady your aim. Pentazemin is in the menu with the bandages I believe. Other than that what else do you have problems with? If the other sniper is already on the scene, call him via codec and he'll do the sniping for you. Just keep your sight on the enemies.

Also: There are two sections with
bombs on the ground. Shoot them before Emma gets there.

Missed them the first few times and wondered why she died -_-

What finally worked for me reliably was putting two fingers of my hand in next to each other in the middle of the backpad, and then pushing them up. Let go, and doing the same again.

I had to come back and thank you for this. This works better than the shit explanation they gave in the game. Now I can peek to my hearts content.

Zen

Banned
Probably it is about size. Maybe the HD versions of MGS2 and MGS3 took up most of the vita' cartridge size ( 4 gigs I think) hence they probably chose to omit peacewalker HD because it saves them money in more ways than one.

EDIT: Since it seems as if size is an issue for now I wouldn't be surprised that some devs are waiting for sony to offer larger sizes before certain titles will hit vita. Hence the large showing of supposed support from some third parties before launch and the relative silence now.

Looking at it, the digital copy of Peace Walker PSP is 1.4 gigs, so you have a point.

Still, I'd hope that Konami throws up Peace Walker HD for Vita on the store, even if buying it would put the Vita collection at price parity with the PS3 edition.

Looking at it, the digital copy of Peace Walker PSP is 1.4 gigs, so you have a point.

Still, I'd hope that Konami throws up Peace Walker HD for Vita on the store, even if buying it would put the Vita collection at price parity with the PS3 edition.

Wow, I am curious of the size of the HD version now.

BigTnaples

You use the Pentazemin and crouch? That will steady your aim. Pentazemin is in the menu with the bandages I believe. Other than that what else do you have problems with? If the other sniper is already on the scene, call him via codec and he'll do the sniping for you. Just keep your sight on the enemies.

Also: There are two sections with
bombs on the ground. Shoot them before Emma gets there.

Missed them the first few times and wondered why she died -_-

This is killing me...

Using Thermals and Pentazemin, and going prone...

When the soldiers come out, they automatically see her before I can kill them all, she is down a significant amount of time, and she gets auto spotted twice.

Then there are the Cyphers, which I can get most of, but it seems a couple come out of nowhere every-time.

I have gotten up to the point where the other sniper joins in, but she was killed as soon as the codec call ended. Nearly chucked my Vita out the window.

BigTnaples

The PSG1 sensitivity is what is destroying me, I just can't line up a shot quick enough to kill all of her attackers before they kill her. Been going for 4 hours straight now and I have only gotten to the codec convo once. This is absolutely soul destroying every time I get close and then fail.

If I rent the PS3 version tomorrow can I use transfarring to finish this part on PS3 then transfer it back? Assuming that the PS3 version is any easier....

Damn, this is more frustrating than when I got the Mile High Club achievment in CoD4...

Pachimari

Seriously, everyone should play MGS1, the PlaySstation version. You are cheating yourself if you're just watching the cutscenes, as the gameplay is still top notch today. It PLAYS well still.

Anyway, I got the HD Collection for 360 but would love to try out the PS Vita version, also would like Gravity Rush.

Grisby

Fortune is the best thing MGS2 has to offer. Love her character and that sweet jazz. It's a shame the game goes all out in order to make Raiden look like a puss, it's even more frustrating with Snake handling everything just dandy a few feet away from him.

Toma

Quite a bit after the sniping section: Currently fighting
an endless stream of metal gears. IT DOESNT END. Geez.

The PSG1 sensitivity is what is destroying me, I just can't line up a shot quick enough to kill all of her attackers before they kill her. Been going for 4 hours straight now and I have only gotten to the codec convo once. This is absolutely soul destroying every time I get close and then fail.

If I rent the PS3 version tomorrow can I use transfarring to finish this part on PS3 then transfer it back? Assuming that the PS3 version is any easier....

Damn, this is more frustrating than when I got the Mile High Club achievment in CoD4...

Well the transfarring for savegames would probably work, but I somehow doubt that its that much easier on PS3. Currently only playing on normal, which is why I don't know how difficult it is, but on normal at least I got 5-8 seconds until E.E. is endangered. Can you kill 3 soldiers within 5-8 seconds?

When starting off, you have enough time to kill 3 cyphers, the 1st soldier and all the bombs before E.E. is in danger the first time. Do you manage to do that? I killed most enemies not by zooming in btw, somehow was easier to keep a proper view if I wasnt constantly zooming in and out.

I also forgot to mention that, but pressing L also slows your aim a bit for more precise aim.

If you cant do it because of the dmg those soldiers do, I am certainly NOT looking forward to the spoilered area on higher difficulty settings (beginning of my post) where I am currently stuck.

I had to come back and thank you for this. This works better than the shit explanation they gave in the game. Now I can peek to my hearts content.

I didnt even realize they had an ingame explanation. How were you supposed to do it? I just tinkered around with the mechanics for a good 10 minutes until I finally figured it out.

Seriously, everyone should play MGS1, the PlaySstation version. You are cheating yourself if you're just watching the cutscenes, as the gameplay is still top notch today. It PLAYS well still.

Anyway, I got the HD Collection for 360 but would love to try out the PS Vita version, also would like Gravity Rush.

Well, its undoubtedly a great game, but I can understand people not being too interested in playing a 3D PS1 game. And its better if he reads up on the story and gets to play mgs2 and 3 than not playing those games at all.

Late game spoiler help:

I'm having trouble with the waves of Metal Gear Rays. I keep dying and I only have two rations. Any tips? I keep getting hammered by the missile volleys.

Thanks

Yopis

Need something for Vita. Think I will grab this tonight. Miss having all of my MG games. The old 60 gig died so vita is what Im rolling with sony side. Maybe I will double dip when I grab another PS3 later this year.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Can someone explain MGS2's controls to me? I have no idea how to pull off a choke/grab and can't figure out how to shoot out from corners.

suikodan

Late game spoiler help:

I'm having trouble with the waves of Metal Gear Rays. I keep dying and I only have two rations. Any tips? I keep getting hammered by the missile volleys.

Thanks

Focus on one at a time, shoot
its knee and then its mouth with fast-reloading (Vita: Tap twice on the stinger icon. PS3: Tap R2 twice) and when it fires its missiles, keep running.

Toma

Late game spoiler help:

Thanks

Same area I am stuck with, and I only have 2 rations left too. Soooo annoying. My best so far was beating 4. I already figured out that you do more damage when shooting the legs and then the head. I also try to squeeze in a shot to the head every time a missile volley missed me.

its knee and then its mouth with fast-reloading (Vita: Tap twice on the stinger icon. PS3: Tap R2 twice) and when it fires its missiles, keep running.

Ah, fast reloading is a good hint.

Can someone explain MGS2's controls to me? I have no idea how to pull off a choke/grab and can't figure out how to shoot out from corners.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39014404&postcount=569

Otherwise you can grab an enemy by walking up to an enemy, stop moving, press and keep pressing square. Then you can walk around by holding the enemy.

When you already hold the enemy, you can break his neck by repeatedly pressing square instead of holding it.

As for peeking: Press against a wall and then go to the edge of the corner. Now you can either press the left analog stick into the direction you want to peek or you can swipe with your finger into the direction you want to peek.

suikodan

Choke: Near an enemy, press Square without moving
Grab: Near an enemy, press Square while moving (you will throw the enemy over your shoulder)

For the corner shooting, you make sure that Snake/Raiden is peeking over the corner and press (or hold) Square, he will shoot. However, it's quite difficult to have a good aim.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Guess I was just used to MGS3's super long range grabs. Finally got it right after throwing a few punches and kicks.

BigTnaples

ba9c2ce4.jpg

Well I beat it, took me 4.5-5 hours of straight gameplay to beat it. What a relief. Good luck to anyone attempting that on hard, or god forbid on extreme.

Now I have made my way to the final battle. This should be interesting.

All that said, damn this is awesome to play this on a handheld. Holds up so well too.

BigTnaples

I'll pray for you then. That section is like a tutorial compaired to what's to come. Hope you're playing on normal... :p

Glix

If its so bad just transfar to PS3.
I know when I get to a part thats too hard on vita I'll transfar to PS3 and mop it up then transfar back to vita and continue on.

THE FUTURE.

I just got it. The one that is right above the door frame on YOUR side...

Nice one Kojima jerkface.

Toma

I just got it. The one that is right above the door frame on YOUR side...

Nice one Kojima jerkface.

The one that took me easily 10 minutes to spot was the one behind the
fucking flag

This is what I'm doing, but there's just too many of them. I've been at it all day, I manage to be six and then die.

BigTnaples

The one that took me easily 10 minutes to spot was the one behind the
fucking flag

Any luck with the final battle? Any tips? I have 2 rations on hard..... :(

There is a total of 16 of them to defeat right?

Toma

Any luck with the final battle? Any tips? I have 2 rations on hard..... :(

There is a total of 16 of them to defeat right?

FUCK, are you KIDDING ME?

:( I totally forgot this part about this game. Already beaten it a few times a looong time ago but my mind must have really tried to avoid that part.

Oh god lol, I found the info on this. If you are playing above normal, prepare to shit your pants:
The number of Metal Gear RAYs the player has to fight in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty depends on the difficulty setting. The exact number is:

&#9632;Very Easy/Easy: 3

&#9632;Normal: 6

&#9632;Hard: 12

&#9632;Extreme/European Extreme: 20

Of course harder to beat on higher difficulties too.

Glix

FUCK, are you KIDDING ME?

:( I totally forgot this part about this game. Already beaten it a few times a looong time ago but my mind must have really tried to avoid that part.

Oh god lol, I found the info on this. If you are playing above normal, prepare to shit your pants:
The number of Metal Gear RAYs the player has to fight in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty depends on the difficulty setting. The exact number is:

&#9632;Very Easy/Easy: 3

&#9632;Normal: 6

&#9632;Hard: 12

&#9632;Extreme/European Extreme: 20

Of course harder to beat on higher difficulties too.

European Extreme either sounds like weed or porno.

EDIT - I just beat the harrier part and rose called and its asking me to save and I can move the selection from SAVE to DO NOT SAVE, but none of the buttons work WTF!!?!?!? I hate this shit.

EDIT 2 - Now it work, Touch digitizer issue maybe?

Toma

European Extreme either sounds like weed or porno.

EDIT - I just beat the harrier part and rose called and its asking me to save and I can move the selection from SAVE to DO NOT SAVE, but none of the buttons work WTF!!?!?!? I hate this shit.

EDIT 2 - Now it work, Touch digitizer issue maybe?

After all the dicking around Kojima has done in this game, I wouldnt be surprised to get a saving screen that doesnt actually work and a fake crash right after such a hard battle :p

Toma

Never got to play Snake Tales ever so I'm trying now... Fuck. I either suck or they are hard... Any tips?

They are hard. Very much so. I tried playing them when I finished some of the higher difficulty levels 10 years ago and I gave up pretty fast. I think you dont have a radar, right? That makes it seriously difficult.

They are hard. Very much so. I tried playing them when I finished some of the higher difficulty levels 10 years ago and I gave up pretty fast. I think you dont have a radar, right? That makes it seriously difficult.

Yeah. I got to Fatman in the first mission but saved and quit. I'll give it a go tonight

Top Bottom