• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Sallokin

Every time I put the card into my Vita I have to turn the system completely off and on again for it to recognize it and allow me to play it. So weird. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Metal Gear Solid 2 is still amazing 12 years later. Astonishing attention to detail and the cutscenes and dialog are all top notch. Truly from an era when AAA titles strove to be something more than disposable blockbusters.

great game...good action.....interesting characters.....but too much cutscenes and the ending SUCKED (especially the ending credits "movie")

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Metal Gear Solid 2 is still amazing 12 years later. Astonishing attention to detail and the cutscenes and dialog are all top notch. Truly from an era when AAA titles strove to be something more than disposable blockbusters.
It's amazing to me when I play it that the game is more than 10 years old. It really doesn't feel like that at all. It honestly feels more complex, engrossing, and 'new' than latest CoD that I played. I can't think of many AAA games back then that stood the test of time nearly as well as these two.

Here are those pics I said i'd upload.
Would look 100x better if it was full HD. But then again, viewing this on something that isn't the Vita screen probably doesn't do it justice.
bgDy9.jpg

Awesome stats... lololol
ajZIV.jpg

Infinity face paint.
34sXR.jpg

Here's one of those camo's I unlocked... they all have the same camo rating, except for the ones that give special abilities. Notice it says "Unlocked" for the camo name.
kyqij.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure the IQ is fine on the Vita. Almost every game looks like garbage off of the Vita.

My PC monitor looks black and white compared to the crazy contrast the Vita has. Still, full res would give this game a much higher IQ. Still don't see why people don't use the MSAA the vita has.

Beat MGS2. Loved it, but diizzam the sniping stuff doesn't work on Vita. Also, the subqhd is kinda more evident on MGS2 given the sparseness of the environments and how angular everything is.

MGS3 looks :O

You know if you call Pliskin on the Codec he will do all the sniping for you. I barely had to pull the trigger or do anything on normal difficulty.

For me aiming in mgs3 is harder because no red dot. and the iron sights are hard to see well on a small screen.

Zen

Banned
My PC monitor looks black and white compared to the crazy contrast the Vita has. Still, full res would give this game a much higher IQ. Still don't see why people don't use the MSAA the vita has.

What kind of performance hit does it entail?

winjet81

Last played MGS1 back around 2000, so REALLY looking forward to playing these.

Started playing MGS2 last night and was hoping that there would actually be some in-game tutorials explaining the controls, but so far I'm frustrated.

There was a halfhearted tutorial of sorts that zipped though some controls, but I could barely read the text because the actions went so quickly... as if a "next" button was continually pressed, yet I wasn't touching anything. Did I do something wrong?

Tried some VR missions, but those too don't explain the controls clearly... I figured out how to grab a guard form behind, but can I break his neck? Can I knock him out? Can I throw him? How do I interrogate?

Anyone want to tell me where to go to get the controls tutorial I need to make my first MGS experience in over a decade seamless?

I feel ya there =/

My experience with the controls of this series feels like something that's been in-training for years now lol

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
Last played MGS1 back around 2000, so REALLY looking forward to playing these.

Started playing MGS2 last night and was hoping that there would actually be some in-game tutorials explaining the controls, but so far I'm frustrated.

There was a halfhearted tutorial of sorts that zipped though some controls, but I could barely read the text because the actions went so quickly... as if a "next" button was continually pressed, yet I wasn't touching anything. Did I do something wrong?

Tried some VR missions, but those too don't explain the controls clearly... I figured out how to grab a guard form behind, but can I break his neck? Can I knock him out? Can I throw him? How do I interrogate?

Anyone want to tell me where to go to get the controls tutorial I need to make my first MGS experience in over a decade seamless?

In the main menu, go to the Specials screen. In there, they'll show you the various controls in the game and how to do them.

What kind of performance hit does it entail?

4xMSAA is basically free with the architecture type. Just battery power mainly. Which MIGHT take up a good fraction.. thought since it's not demanding on the hardware, it shouldn't demand much...

jimi_dini

Tried some VR missions, but those too don't explain the controls clearly...

You are supposed to play VR after the main game.

I figured out how to grab a guard form behind, but can I break his neck?

Press square multiple times. This will break his neck after a few times.

Can I knock him out?

Press square multiple times, but not as many times as when breaking the neck, then let go. If you do it right, you will see stars over his head.

other way is to punch him multiple times.

other way is to punch him in the lower area, if you know what I mean. One hit is enough in that case. Although that's for experienced players only. But that's the method to get easily rid of the advanced soldiers (especially great for beating the harder VR missions).

Can I throw him? How do I interrogate?

Not in MGS2. You can do this in MGS3.

I thought there is a tutorial reachable from the main menu. It will show all sorts of different moves.

I think it's awful that that the Vita version og MGS3 doesn't have the same gameplay options found on the 3DS. The controls are dated as hell. The 3DS MGS/PSP Peacewalker controls work so much better.

Kazerei

Banned
How long did it took to Platinum?

The in-game timer says 8:16, but a few caveats:
  • I played on Very Easy and used the EZ Gun lol
  • I followed guides to get 100% (this and this)
  • I skipped nearly all the cutscenes (there's ~5 hours in total)
  • I reset the game many times. Especially near the end, ugh.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
  • I reset the game many times. Especially near the end, ugh.

Ah alright, dont plan on using a walkthrough to get to 100%. I assume the game will take me longer to fully complete then :)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I think it's awful that that the Vita version og MGS3 doesn't have the same gameplay options found on the 3DS. The controls are dated as hell. The 3DS MGS/PSP Peacewalker controls work so much better.

The only thing missing is Crouch Walk correct?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The only thing missing is Crouch Walk correct?
Also third person aiming.

It's really a damn shame that those features weren't included, though. I own the 3DS version myself and it's a really shoddy port with very poor performance and visuals which kind of negates all of its improvements. I would love to have those features included in a technically competent version of the game.

BigTnaples

Also third person aiming.

It's really a damn shame that those features weren't included, though. I own the 3DS version myself and it's a really shoddy port with very poor performance and visuals which kind of negates all of its improvements. I would love to have those features included in a technically competent version of the game.

Yeah I played the Demo on my 3DS and dont remember being nearly as impressed as I wanted to be. ( Love the original teaser, and aside from OoT3D it was the other reason I bought my 3DS.

Decided to go with the HD collection instead after the demo.

That said, the control improvements would certainly be welcome. Maybe in a patch, unless Nintendo has excluivity, which would be ridiculous.

Priority though for me is that they release Peace Walker HD as a standalone or on PSN.

I own but never finished the UMD on PSP, and I dont want to buy the PSP version again just to play on my Vita, I will rebuy however for upgraded graphics and controls on Vita.

therapist

On the fence about this...tempted but im sure this will drop in price relatively quick.

Never played mgs 2 or3 , liked 1 but i hate long cutscenes in games and i know this is def in that genre...

Controls sound strange too...if it had the peace walker i would buy for sure but i dunno...

2 games for 40 still a good deal , but not really when u consider the console version have an extra game in there for the same price.

BigTnaples

On the fence about this...tempted but im sure this will drop in price relatively quick.

Never played mgs 2 or3 , liked 1 but i hate long cutscenes in games and i know this is def in that genre...

Controls sound strange too...if it had the peace walker i would buy for sure but i dunno...

2 games for 40 still a good deal , but not really when u consider the console version have an extra game in there for the same price.

It is an amazing deal, and the cutscenes are more bearable because they are top notch in quality.

I spent 27 hours beating MGS2 on hard ( and did not even do a thorough playthrough)

Have not even tried the VR missions or Snake Tales yet.

Just started my MGS3 hard playthrough, and I assume that will take me even longer.

Then there is MG MG2 and other features to use as well.

Amazing package for $40.00, even for someone who has beat both games multiple times.

For someone who has never played them, it is a MUST buy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Picture quality is surprisingly fine on this. While it's running in the same resolution as the PS2 version would if it was widescreen, there's progressive scan, and texture filtering is much better (no texture shimmer at all) which is a huge thing for MGS3. Upscaling gives it a slight softer look that works fine for both games (cinematic!) and never looks bothersome at all. I've played both games for about an hour each, and there's been very few instances where I wished IQ would be better, and even those were just minor stuff.

There's also been very few instances where I've been bothered by the 60->30FPS framerate drops, notably in the few seconds you spend in the small navigation room right before fight with Olga. When outside in the rain there's a framebuffer blend effect that doesn't make it as obvious that the game is running at 30 (in fact I'm not even sure what it's running at when outside, but it doesn't feel bad).

DBT85

Just put my order in at Amazon.co.uk. at £21.51 it was a steal.

I'd say roll on Friday (release day) but I'm playing other stuff so I'll let it take it's sweet time in coming around.

• I reset the game many times. Especially neaherhe end, ugh.

Was considering doing exactly this but it occurred to me that I never really did a MGS3 "action" type playthrough, like ever. As in actually killin, bombing, setting off alarms and dealing with it, etc
Always been a Pacifist with the franchise (when it lets you), so figure Id reserve the platinuming for at least two playthroughs ... Not to mention I wanted to do a story run again IE watching dem cutscenes

Okay, is there a way to disable the rear touch pad? When playing MGS3, a slight movement of my finger from just holding the Vita causes Snake to thrust his knife, which is annoying when I'm trying to be stealthy.

I already own the PS3 version. Do I need to buy this version too in order to use Transfarring? Buy the same collection twice isn't exactly what I want to do.

Revan

Okay, is there a way to disable the rear touch pad? When playing MGS3, a slight movement of my finger from just holding the Vita causes Snake to thrust his knife, which is annoying when I'm trying to be stealthy.

Equip a weapon - either the MK22 or the 1911. It removes the knife swipe.

Where are the PSN/XBLA console versions of MGS HD collection? They have been on Japanese PSN already for a while. What gives? I'm getting sick of this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Where are the PSN/XBLA console versions of MGS HD collection? They have been on Japanese PSN already for a while. What gives? I'm getting sick of this.
Uhh, why wouldn't you simply buy a disc? I can't imagine why you would prefer a digital copy for a console.

Ridley327

Uhh, why wouldn't you simply buy a disc? I can't imagine why you would prefer a digital copy for a console.

The disc is probably a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them individually. $40 for all three games can't be beat, and it's been on sale for $30 recently, too.

I used to be a massive collector. I got rid of a ton of games including MGS series. I buy digital now whenever possible. Not having to get up and switch discs actually counts for me. Having a library of digital classics (on one console) is an ideal for me at this point.

The disc is probably a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them individually. $40 for all three games can't be beat, and it's been on sale for $30 recently, too.

Based on what they are going for on Japanese PSN (3400 yen each, I think) you are definitely right. I just have something against physical media at this point

Top Bottom