• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, at least MGS3 feels a whole lot nicer overall. Thus far it runs at a rock solid 30 fps (making it much nicer than the PS2 or 3DS versions but not on par with the other HD Collection releases). The image quality seems better simply because the transparencies are well smoothed and jaggies are kept to a minimum. It's light years from the 3DS version (which launched at the same price as this Vita package).

Does the framerate in MGS2 behave like it did on PS2?

In the PS2 version when the framerate slowed, the game would go into "slower motion" rather than look choppy.

It was a weird effect, but far less distracting than choppy frames.
No, it definitely does not do this. When the framerate drops the game speed remains the same and frames are simply skipped. It would be unplayable otherwise as it drops to 30 fps pretty regularly.

Chesskid1

Banned
ok, about to startup MGS2.

does it recap MGS1? haven't played it in like 10 years and wanan know if i should find a synopsis or MGS2 covers it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
MGS2 = Difficult. 50 hours at least with 5 playthroughs of the game.
MGS3 = Get a collectibles guide and get all Trophies in one playthrough on very easy. Like 10 hours.

Interesting, only thing I remember of 2 was the demo they slipped in with ZOE

I remember making the enemy do a jiggly shuffle dance when I held him up, fucking laughed so hard, I mistakenly tapped and shot him in the head with a tranquilizer LOL

hertog

I really want this.... but I've already bought resistance burning skies and gravity rush this month :(

Man, I love my vita.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MGS2 was never solid 60FPS on PS2 either, but the framerate was handled differently. You'd get tearing and literal slowdowns instead of frame drops. I preferred it that way too.

Joni

I remember making the enemy do a jiggly shuffle dance when I held him up, fucking laughed so hard, I mistakenly tapped and shot him in the head with a tranquilizer LOL

You'll have to do that to almost every enemy in the game, on every difficulty to get a trophy. (MGS2)

Anyway, got a copy thanks to Konami and it is downloading. (A little bit more than 3GB)

dark10x

MGS2 was never solid 60FPS on PS2 either, but the framerate was handled differently. You'd get tearing and literal slowdowns instead of frame drops. I preferred it that way too.
Yeah, but it was 60 fps a good 95% of the time. The Vita version is 60 fps perhaps 40% of the time at best. Any scenes larger than a simple hallway run at 30 fps, basically. It doesn't dip below that (from what I've seen) but it feels inconsistent.

MGS3, on the other hand, just seems to hang at 30 fps all of the time and feels better as a result (no ups and downs).

Did we really care about those issues when MGS2 first came out?
Absolutely. Perhaps even more so as 60 fps was very common on PS2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dark, I think the games run in 720x448, or x480, Kinda like PS2 versions but with widescreen, heh. At least that's what I counted form some screenshots, so could be wrong. Isn't that actually lower than Golden Abyss?

dark10x

Dark, I think the games run in 720x448, or x480, Kinda like PS2 versions but with widescreen, heh. At least that's what I counted form some screenshots, so could be wrong. Isn't that actually lower than Golden Abyss?
If so then consider me surprised as the games LOOK cleaner and sharper than GA. Perhaps there is some edge smoothing in play?

I am genuinely surprised that people have not played MGS1. The only valid reasons I can think of are age, or disinterest in the series. It's almost criminal to say you haven't played one of the greatest and influential games ever made. I hope some of you play it, it's easily the best of the franchise. Some may prefer MGS3, which I can understand, but for it's time, MGS1 had the best graphics and one of the best OST's in the business. Its graphics may look dated now, but holy shit was it mind blowing when it came out.

GQman2121

Banned
I am genuinely surprised that people have not played MGS1. The only valid reasons I can think of are age, or disinterest in the series. It's almost criminal to say you haven't played one of the greatest and influential games ever made. I hope some of you play it, it's easily the best of the franchise. Some may prefer MGS3, which I can understand, but for it's time, MGS1 had the best graphics and one of the best OST's in the business. Its graphics may look dated now, but holy shit was it mind blowing when it came out.

Absolutely. It puts the entire modern narrative in motion. I honestly think it still holds up pretty well.

It's a real shame PSX games aren't playable on Vita yet. Peace Walker for the PSP too!

OK, so I played more MGS2 and the results are not bad but definitely not as good as they should be.

Basically, it runs with double buffered v-sync enabled which means that it will switch between either 30 fps or 60 fps. More demanding scenes are 30 while the simpler scenes switch to 60. The rainy tanker is all 30 but when you step inside it jumps to 60 fps. Unfortunately, when the camera faces certain directions or the action becomes busy the framerate dips back to 30.

All cutscenes seem limited to 30 fps max as are the codec scenes. With this kind of performance they should have just locked it down to 30.

It's not native resolution either. It seems to run at a higher resolution than the likes of Uncharted, thankfully, but it's definitely sub-qHD. At least menu and HUD elements are all razor sharp.

That said, even like this, it's vastly superior to the god awful 3DS port of Snake Eater which topped out at 20 fps while still suffering from slowdown.

lovely post

Can't wait to receive my copy

I mean fuck, for all the whining, it's still pretty damn amazing to have these games in your damn backpack at any given time and, framerate or no, are superior to the PS2 iterations in every way ....in your freaking backpack!

Ridley327

lovely post

I mean fuck, for all the whining, it's still pretty damn amazing to have these games in your damn backpack at any given time and, framerate or no, are superior to the PS3 iterations in every way ....in your freaking backpack!

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Skilletor

lovely post

I mean fuck, for all the whining, it's still pretty damn amazing to have these games in your damn backpack at any given time and, framerate or no, are superior to the PS3 iterations in every way ....in your freaking backpack!

They have an inferior framerate. How are they superior in every way?

Picked mine up, and the rain section felt really bad. I'm not framerate sensitive, but that would explain why. Felt similar to the Xbox version of MGS2. :(

I only played for 3 minutes, so I didn't get inside the tanker.

madmook

Dumb question: Why is MGS 1 not included?
MGS1 is a PS1 game, and those aren't supported on the Vita just yet.

Waiting on Amazon to ship mine, but kinda disappointed about MGS2's framerate. I appreciate them trying to match the original's 60fps, but if it's like Dark says where it drops down to 30fps about half the time, I would've preferred a locked 30fps. Oh well.

Ridley327

Anyone? What's missing, if anything.

MGS2 is all of Substance; MGS3 is the first disc of Subsistence, so the only extras are the cutscene viewer and MG1&2. If it holds true to the original HD Collection (and there's no reason to believe that it doesn't), the Guy Savage nightmare sequence was dropped, as well.

MGS2 is all of Substance; MGS3 is the first disc of Subsistence, so the only extras are the cutscene viewer and MG1&2. If it holds true to the original HD Collection (and there's no reason to believe that it doesn't), the Guy Savage nightmare sequence was dropped, as well.

I always wondered why that was cut. I always look forward to it when playing it through.

B.K.

I didn't even know the game was out today. I somehow missed the announcement of the release date. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow or whenever I go out next.

OmegaZero

Well, not sure if I want now. :/
MGS3D at least had new control options to make up for 20fps. This isn't really offering me anything besides portability. And new Vita trophies.

But really, ZOEHD isn't locked at a certain fps either? I wonder how the Vita version will turn out...

Ridley327

I always wondered why that was cut. I always look forward to it when playing it through.

From what I understand, it ran on a different engine than the rest of MGS3 did and it was too difficult to port over, so they ended up dropping it and the related radio conversation.

Ridley327

Well, not sure if I want now. :/
MGS3D at least had new control options to make up for 20fps. This isn't really offering me anything besides portability. And new Vita trophies.

But really, ZOEHD isn't locked at a certain fps either? I wonder how the Vita version will turn out...

It was uneven at E3, but I would not take that as confirmation that the final release will wind up the same way. Peace Walker HD was a complete disaster when it was shown off last year at E3 and the final release is practically flawless.

AleeN634

Has anyone tried transfarring?

Ok so Transfarring is patched into the PS3 version (I have PS+ and it told me it downloaded a patch today). You boot the respective game up on the PS3 and set it to Listen for Vita. You then boot up the respective game on Vita to connect to the PS3. You can then freely transfar data from the PS3 to the Vita (and vice versa).

Now the catch. Save data created before the Transfarring patch will disable trophies on the Vita (so no easy imports). It was a similar case for Peace Walker on PSP.

You'll have to do that to almost every enemy in the game, on every difficulty to get a trophy. (MGS2)
If it's anything like the HD versions, you won't need to. You "only" needed to unlock every item to get it. Which means no Hard/Extreme for the Tanker chapter. I've even read the trophy only required you to unlock the Plant items.

(I found that out after collecting every dog tag in the game, obviously)

Ridley327

Ok so Transfarring is patched into the PS3 version (I have PS+ and it told me it downloaded a patch today). You boot the respective game up on the PS3 and set it to Listen for Vita. You then boot up the respective game on Vita to connect to the PS3. You can then freely transfar data from the PS3 to the Vita (and vice versa).

Now the catch. Save data created before the Transfarring patch will disable trophies on the Vita (so no easy imports). It was a similar case for Peace Walker on PSP.

Wow, that's going to kill a lot of sales right there.

As dumb as that sounds, it seems like a lot of people were going to buy this for the easy trophies.

newsguy

Instantly I notice the lack of cam movement on the right stick. I literally hadn't played MGS2 since it came out on PS2

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

FUCK MY LIFE.

Dammit, whoever thought that was a nice idea is crazy. Jesus. Might as well just play the games for fun.

I mean, who does that nowadays?!

lmfao. I knew it. They did it with Peace Walker and now they did it with this. Psh. Good thing I only played an hour of MGS2 on the HD collection. Now I can reign supreme with my transfarring!

Ridley327

It can't be a technical issue, can it? I understood why they did it with Peace Walker as the save file situation is a lot different, but the save files for 2 & 3 are already tied to your PSN account. The only reason I can imagine them doing that is that they were afraid of people flipping the game around after 5 minutes of synching.

Carl

It can't be a technical issue, can it? I understood why they did it with Peace Walker as the save file situation is a lot different, but the save files for 2 & 3 are already tied to your PSN account. The only reason I can imagine them doing that is that they were afraid of people flipping the game around after 5 minutes of synching.

Nailed it

Top Bottom