• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Weird, from all the videos i have seen of people playing on a vita both MGS2 and 3 appeared to be super smooth. Guess it is not something I will notice then. Pixel and frame counters be darned.

Weird, from all the videos i have seen of people playing on a vita both MGS2 and 3 appeared to be super smooth. Guess it is not something I will notice then. Pixel and frame counters be darned.

Even for a moderate "pixel counter" like myself, seeing framerate problems in a YouTube video is very difficult to do.

Even for a moderate "pixel counter" like myself, seeing framerate problems in a YouTube video is very difficult to do.

Huh? To me framerate "problems" is when the game slows down or stutters, pretty sure videos can show if that is present. Especially if video playback is smooth without buffering, unless of course you are watching youtube with half a gig internet service.

Edit: By slowdown I mean the walking in mud type slowdown.

kodt

Banned
Ok this may have been answered. But in MGS2 how do you lower your weapon without firing? No pressure sensitive buttons = sadface .

Ok this may have been answered. But in MGS2 how do you lower your weapon without firing? No pressure sensitive buttons = sadface .

Try tapping the weapon in the lower right to unequip. Don't own it yet, waiting on Amazon, but in the old games I think that worked as well.

kodt

Banned
Forgive my ignorance but why isn't MGS1 included?

Kojima said it would take to much work to make a good HD version. The textures/assets weren't good enough. I guess they could have just thrown in a non HD version, or just done a simple upscale. I would have liked that but oh well.

Try tapping the weapon in the lower right to unequip. Don't own it yet, waiting on Amazon, but in the old games I think that worked as well.

yeah, that works, but it isn't ideal. Being able to raise and lower it quickly on PS2 was important for getting dog tags. Being able to hold them up then switch to the front and aim at their face :)

Edit: figured it out, hit Down on the Dpad.

Eusis

Kojima said it would take to much work to make a good HD version. The textures/assets weren't good enough. I guess they could have just thrown in a non HD version, or just done a simple upscale. I would have liked that but oh well.
Technically it should be REALLY EASY if they could use Twin Snakes instead, but just going by the PS1 version he's right, PS1 games don't really lend themselves to upressing (usually) as well as other games. Probably only something like Tobal would work well, it's really simple and running at the same resolution as most PS1 games already, it'd likely only look better at higher resolutions.

But the game did receive a PC port, so that can be dug up to see just how it'd look.

Zen

Banned
If they did a rebuild but kept all the assets the same, it shouldn't have been that hard. No one would be expecting it to look amazing or anything. I gues they still like selling it for 5.99 on PSN.

Eusis

If they did a rebuild but kept all the assets the same, it shouldn't have been that hard. No one would be expecting it to look amazing or anything. I gues they still like selling it for 5.99 on PSN.
At the least it's probably one of the few HD updates (along with Radiant Silvergun) where you'll want a low res option.

EDIT: Looking at pictures it actually would probably fare better than most PS1 games, but I'd want something like that more for widescreen than to play in high resolution.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Played some of the VR missions. Never really played them before. Great for quick short bursts on the ride to work.

I'm mostly buying for the VR missions.

One good thing about Europe getting this late is that you can read detailed impressions from others.

Not that surprised that MGS2 isn't 60fps, PS2 was an insane monster of a machine. I expect similar difficulties with zoe HD. But they should have just locked it at 30fps, that's disappointing

UberTag

Ok so Transfarring is patched into the PS3 version (I have PS+ and it told me it downloaded a patch today). You boot the respective game up on the PS3 and set it to Listen for Vita. You then boot up the respective game on Vita to connect to the PS3. You can then freely transfar data from the PS3 to the Vita (and vice versa).

Now the catch. Save data created before the Transfarring patch will disable trophies on the Vita (so no easy imports). It was a similar case for Peace Walker on PSP.
Wow, that's going to kill a lot of sales right there.

As dumb as that sounds, it seems like a lot of people were going to buy this for the easy trophies.
Can we at least get confirmation that post-patch play via Transfarring will net you trophies for both the PS3/Vita versions of the game?

I already own the PS3 HD Collection (but have not played MGS2 or MGS3 yet) and would consider picking this up on Vita if it meant I could transfar back and forth and earn concurrent trophies on both platforms (ala Motorstorm RC).

If it will only unlock the trophy on whichever system I happen to be playing on at the time - and won't unlock the equivalent trophy on the other platform following a transfar - then transfarring is effectively rendered meaningless.

Eusis

If it will only unlock the trophy on whichever system I happen to be playing on at the time - and won't unlock the equivalent trophy on the other platform following a transfar - then transfarring is effectively rendered meaningless.
It's fine for people who want to play the game on the go, then take it home and put it on their PS3, though I guess the only reasonable compromise there is to eventually implement shared trophies, or at least negate the value of the second list list of the same game.

Mind, while it's a nice feature to put in I don't really see it being that useful to the MGS games, MGS2 isn't that long and MGS3, while longer, isn't "I want to take this on the go with me" long, it seems like a feature that'd more useful for an RPG, especially something like Disgaea where you could put it on your handheld, do some grinding/party management, then continue at home on the (maybe) big TV. Well, Peace Walker DOES seem like a game where this is genuinely practical, but that's not relevant to the Vita collection.

Jawmuncher

So can anyone clarify how the Transfarring works?

Since from what I have been reading you need to transfar to get the trophies (Not like motorstorm where you just sync)

Also I was reading that to transfar you need the update that recently came out for the Collection on PS3. It was also saying that saves before the update would not be able to get trophies automatically.

My question here is

I'm deployed with both my Vita and PS3.
internet for either system isnt going to happen out here.
So if I play on vita first, then transfer to the PS3 at a later date (When I get the update)
Will I be able to get the vita trophies unlocked on PS3?

(The VR missions is not something I want to do twice)

Jawmuncher

From the IGN Review

"If you're a Trophy whore, you'll be happy to know that the PS3 and Vita Trophy lists are separate but connected; if you earn a Trophy on the Vita and then transfer the save to the PS3, you'll get the Trophy for the second time on a separate Trophy list without doing anything. Important note: if you bought the Peace Walker PSP game and played it on your Vita, the PS3 version isn't set up to transfer from Vita to PS3; it needs a PSP."

Looks like im in the clear since I never started playing the PS3 version.

Cartman86

Banned
The fact that they didn't have this trophy shit setup when they HD Collection came out on the consoles makes me angry. I don't angry about video games ever, but this really gets to me. Especially considering the whole Peace Walker situation. I worried this would happen, but figured since it was already tied into your PSN account and a modern console (versus the PSP situation) with a Vita port in mind it wouldn't be an issue. I don't really care about getting double the trophies. I was okay getting one set of trophies while sitting in bed on the big screen and with the handheld in other places. Good thing I didn't start MGS2. Doubt i'll go for the platinum again anytime soon for MGS3.

joshwaan

Well I've played MGS 2 when it came out and never completed it yeah I know... but I've purchased this on my US account and will be playing through MGS 2 and 3. I'm pretty excited about seeing it on the OLED screen :)

The fact that they didn't have this trophy shit setup when they HD Collection came out on the consoles makes me angry. I don't angry about video games ever, but this really gets to me. Especially considering the whole Peace Walker situation. I worried this would happen, but figured since it was already tied into your PSN account and a modern console (versus the PSP situation) with a Vita port in mind it wouldn't be an issue. I don't really care about getting double the trophies. I was okay getting one set of trophies while sitting in bed on the big screen and with the handheld in other places. Good thing I didn't start MGS2. Doubt i'll go for the platinum again anytime soon for MGS3.

Are you kidding? You got off light. You can get the MGS3 platinum in one playthrough on the easiest difficulty. It's one of the easiest platinums I have.

MGS2 is the one that's a fucking nightmare because you've got to finish the game 5 times and do all the boring VR Missions. I can't believe I'm going to have to do all that shit again.

AleeN634

So can anyone clarify how the Transfarring works?
So if I play on vita first, then transfer to the PS3 at a later date (When I get the update)
Will I be able to get the vita trophies unlocked on PS3?

In theory yes but (I noticed this while saving on the Vita) you need to be signed into PSN for the save to still be able to generate trophies (there's a warning message about that). If you use the Cloud save system (which doesn't sound like an option for you since you have difficulty getting access to wifi points) your save is unlocked (this is the opposite of how Peace Walker handles transfarring) since it syncs with the server everytime (at least from what I can tell).

The good thing is MGS 2 seperates its save files among: main game, Alternate Missions, VR Missions and Snake Tales so picking and choosing which files are transfarred is super easy.

How about you don't ?

I feel obliged to, even though I don't even like MGS2 that much. I've bought it and I'll get everything out of it even if it kills me having to play through it another 5 times and do all those boring as hell VR Missions all over again. I will try to space it out a bit though, maybe one playthrough a week.

Fox1304

I feel obliged to, even though I don't even like MGS2 that much. I've bought it and I'll get everything out of it even if it kills me having to play through it another 5 times and do all those boring as hell VR Missions all over again. I will try to space it out a bit though, maybe one playthrough a week.

I'll never understand this obsession about completion, trophies, or anything else that forces you to do something you hate when playing a distraction that you should love.

Skilletor

You're strange.

Games should be fun. You're doing it wrong. :p

OmegaZero

It was uneven at E3, but I would not take that as confirmation that the final release will wind up the same way. Peace Walker HD was a complete disaster when it was shown off last year at E3 and the final release is practically flawless.

Sweetness.
Guess I'll play the wait-and-see game for now.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It was uneven at E3, but I would not take that as confirmation that the final release will wind up the same way. Peace Walker HD was a complete disaster when it was shown off last year at E3 and the final release is practically flawless.

The Vita version of ZOE was at E3? Awesome if so.

My Newegg order is scheduled to come today. I'm a little peeved at the Transfarring thing, because not only does it seem like once you transfar you can't get Vita trophies on it, but you can't get anymore PS3 trophies on it!

Oh well, I just got Stealth on the Tanker, and I'm not redoing that anytime soon (god speed to those of you redoing all dog tags and/or VR missions), so I guess I'm just going to transfar that save over.

From the IGN Review

"If you're a Trophy whore, you'll be happy to know that the PS3 and Vita Trophy lists are separate but connected; if you earn a Trophy on the Vita and then transfer the save to the PS3, you'll get the Trophy for the second time on a separate Trophy list without doing anything. Important note: if you bought the Peace Walker PSP game and played it on your Vita, the PS3 version isn't set up to transfer from Vita to PS3; it needs a PSP."

Looks like im in the clear since I never started playing the PS3 version.

Fantastical!!!!

Top Bottom