• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

SJRB

Gold Member
That music was fantastic.

I hope the music gets released at some point, there's truly awesome music in the game.

the problem with ai is that people often like to compare it to real human senses and anything that falls short will obviously look inferior.

in my opinion the ai is perfectly fine in ground zeroes. on hard especially. i love the sight and sound range they have.

Absolutely, and it bodes extremely well for Phantom Pain. You obviously won't be able to just drive / speedrun right up to the walls of an enemy camp. It's going to require careful planning and tactics, which by itself is a massive step forward in in the genre.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
OhrIQn9l.jpg

MI6oQFBl.jpg

easter-island-statues.jpg

Ive found 3 so far

There is a distinct sound effect when destroyed

sorry for cell phone pic, didnt feel like recording a video, im about to make dinner

Looks like the idol from Raiders of the Lost ark.

Yes but if you crouch they can't hear you at all, only if you run. This is stupid, MGS4 enemies, at least for me, were more problematic then GZ ones. I had a great challenge to complete the game and obtaining the Big Boss emblem, replaying each section to do it perfectly.

I'm not sure if this applies to the game mechanics of GZ as well, but the MSF Sneaking Suit dulls the sound of Snake's footsteps. Obiovusly, if you run then they'll hear you.

I really didn't notice much of a difference between hard and normal modes apart from enemies doing more damage/Snake having less HP.
I noticed a lot more enemies on hard mode (meaning less places you can be without getting caught). I wouldn't be surprised if they had better sight too, like in previous MGS games.

Spaghetti

Yes but if you crouch they can't hear you at all, only if you run. This is stupid, MGS4 enemies, at least for me, were more problematic then GZ ones. I had a great challenge to complete the game and obtaining the Big Boss emblem, replaying each section to do it perfectly.

But on GZ, I simply played one time, obtaining an A, AI is dumb. Example: as soon as you find Paz, just CQC the first guard you see as soon as you exit the room, take Paz, avoid the camera, let the second guard go uptairs, take the red door, turn right and walk on the side of the map, put to sleep the two guards here and you can simply run like a crazy to the initial area of the mission, and no one willspot you. On Hard.

Why that area is so empty, excluding the two initial enemies and the one on the looking area?

I hope they will improve AI on PP.
i did initially have some issue with what i perceived as the deafness of the guards, until i realised the problem was most likely the audio of big boss sneaking was too heightened for the action rather than the issue of poor ai, as they're usually very sensitive to noise (i.e gunshots, accidentally hitting an object like the pans in the refugee camps).

that said the heightened movement sounds aren't a goof either, as it leads to better association of moving/action and sound for the player.

as for your question, there are a lot of variables that can or cannot give you that outcome. what i've noticed with my time in ground zeroes is that prior actions in the mission can affect the situation later. if another guard finds a body or a knocked out soldier and sends the base into a caution stage, it changes when they will go back into their patrol. if i knock a soldier out and they're discovered, after the caution is over the soldier could be thrown off schedule and be somewhere you wouldn't expect or creating a route that is overpopulated with guards... or inversely what you described and inadvertently creating a route unguarded.

player actions can change the whole rhythm of the base, for better or worse.

But on GZ, I simply played one time, obtaining an A, AI is dumb. Example: as soon as you find Paz, just CQC the first guard you see as soon as you exit the room, take Paz, avoid the camera, let the second guard go uptairs, take the red door, turn right and walk on the side of the map, put to sleep the two guards here and you can simply run like a crazy to the initial area of the mission, and no one willspot you. On Hard.

Why that area is so empty, excluding the two initial enemies and the one on the looking area?

I hope they will improve AI on PP.

Can you link a video of you or any player showing this path, cause I had three playthroughs and must have missed it.

If I try to turn right after exiting the red door with Paz, I recall the hanger door being open with a guard wandering there, another guard out in the open near the hanger, and annoying light dude on the tower to my left. If I manage to somehow sneak around the hanger and moved that way, there would still be about 3 more enemies in my path to the initial area, and that's if I'm very careful, and studied the map beforehand.

I think you're exaggerating when claiming the game is easy, and getting an "A" on your first playthrough is a rarity no matter how you slice it.

Yoda

Finishing the story + side missions clocked me in just south of 10 hours (non rush playthrough). Still need to try it on hard where the AI aren't a bunch of brain-dead cats.

Yeah, I think you have to be exceptionally lucky to be able to run out of the Admin Building and past the heliport to not get caught. I'm pretty sure they spawn new enemies to search the area once you trigger the Paz cutscene too.

rvy

Banned
They handled it differently than we did. Different offices, different approaches. I'm the North America rep by the way.

Yeah, I figured as much. Please tell Konami to get one of their EU reps in here. I'm tired of being the unofficial Pro Evo guy, lol.

foxtrot3d

Banned
What's the differences between the ps4 and xbox one version?

PS4 has clouds.

I played again Ground Zeroes, Hard difficulty, no alert, no kills, three reflex, 6 checkpoint reloaded, 50 minutes, A rank.

And again, the game is too easy. The only thing that change between Normal and Hard is that enemies can see far away, and they can hear you easily. Stop.

The pattern is the same, so if you know where enemies are on easy, there's no problem.

I think we need at least another difficulty setting for PP, because as the game is now, there's no challenge at all, and I only spent around two hours on the game (Ground Zeroes mission only).

I don't see how a new difficulty setting can change your "problems" of course a game is going to be "easy" once you have mastered the controls, memorized the guards movements, know exactly where you are going, and understand how to exploit weaknesses in the enemy AI. That's how every game, including MGS games, work. It will always be the most difficult your first time playing when you don't know where to go and where the guards will be, that's not really something that can be fixed.

by the way, if people are holding out on this game because they don't own an xbox one or ps4: Don't. the game still looks incredible and plays and runs great. I thought i'd be missing out a bit playing it on last gen, but i was pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise.

foxtrot3d

Banned
But MGS4 gave me headache even if I knew enemies pattern and position. It was challenging.

Pfft, what? In the two acts where there is a war going on and you could sneak by everyone by just dressing as a rebel and you didn't have to really worry about triggering an alert in a warzone?

Loxley

by the way, if people are holding out on this game because they don't own an xbox one or ps4: Don't. the game still looks incredible and plays and runs great. I thought i'd be missing out a bit playing it on last gen, but i was pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise.

Yep, I'm playing the PS3 version and the only time I noticed a performance drop was during one or two points during the main mission with all the rain effects and such.

I wonder how this game is going to be precieved by the general public. The non hard core MGS casual gamer who doesn't visit GAF and had no clue the main story was 1-2hrs first time through. The gamer who doesn't care about xof patches and won't listen to cassette tapes. I know most of you will say who cares? But I say that's 50% of the market. Could it negatively affect TPP sales? Burnt once twice shy.
My brother just text me, "I just beat that Metal Gear game in 30 mins. What a waste of money."
He doesn't read every Internet forum he went to the store saw a series he's familiar with and trusts spend his ($38cdn) and bought a "game."
I wonder how many problems retailers are having with angry customers? I wonder if they are explaining what this game IS to customers. I knew in advance but at retail they took my $38 and said thanks for $3 more you can protect the disc....

Betty

Banned
I wonder how this game is going to be precieved by the general public. The non hard core MGS casual gamer who doesn't visit GAF and had no clue the main story was 1-2hrs first time through. The gamer who doesn't care about xof patches and won't listen to cassette tapes. I know most of you will say who cares? But I say that's 50% of the market. Could it negatively affect TPP sales? Burnt once twice shy.
My brother just text me, "I just beat that Metal Gear game in 30 mins. What a waste of money."
He doesn't read every Internet forum he went to the store saw a series he's familiar with and trusts spend his ($38cdn) and bought a "game."
I wonder how many problems retailers are having with angry customers? I wonder if they are explaining what this game IS to customers. I knew in advance but at retail they took my $38 and said thanks for $3 more you can protect the disc....

I suspect there will be some blowback. Already the game has more than the average number of negative reviews on places like metacritic and amazon.

Whether it impacts Phantom Pain is yet to be seen, and to be honest, I'm surprised the general backlash amongst casual gamers hasn't been as explosive as we all feared.

Finished my first play through the game, and wow. I loved it so much, it's MGS, it's been tweaked a lot and it's fucking rad.

Will now play through multiple times trying different approaches, weapons, collectibles and so on.

Question:

I rescued 3 people from the camp; the boy, a guy next to him and the tied up lady (I forget their names). Is there anyone else you can rescue from the main mission?

I want to start inFamous but I think it will have to wait!

Well, on the back of the cover is written that's only a prologue, so if someone has a doubt, just google the game before buy it.

You are over estimating the market I'm talking about. Mom and Dad who walk into Gamestop to buy little Jimmy a game then find out the main story can be beaten in half the time as an episode of Sponge Bob aren't going to be happy. And just because it's a prologue doesn't mean it had to be short.
I'm playing Devils advocate here I knew what I was getting and love it and have spend 5-6 hours so far playing. Just have a feeling there will be a lot of angry casual gamers who will be put off by this.

Will there be a demo for this demo? Lol

Betty

Banned
Finished my first play through the game, and wow. I loved it so much, it's MGS, it's been tweaked a lot and it's fucking rad.

Will now play through multiple times trying different approaches, weapons, collectibles and so on.

Question:

I rescued 3 people from the camp; the boy, a guy next to him and the tied up lady (I forget their names). Is there anyone else you can rescue from the main mission?

I want to start inFamous but I think it will have to wait!

There's a prisoner who's scheduled to be executed
, if you rescue Chico first, you can follow a marine who'll lead you to the spot where he's at. You'll need to play well to rescue him though.

I don't blame him. If you are a casual game fan you're going to expect Metal Gear 5 - not the metal gear 5, short but highly replay able prologue.

painey

beat GZ in 154 mins, 3 restarts. I loved it and the cut scenes are amazing, but the voice acting is STILL hammy, even in 2014. I can't imagine paying $30 for this

Do guards repopulate the map ? If I extract a bunch of soldiers, will others eventually replace them at the spots from where I took them ?

MormaPope

Banned
You are over estimating the market I'm talking about. Mom and Dad who walk into Gamestop to buy little Jimmy a game then find out the main story can be beaten in half the time as an episode of Sponge Bob aren't going to be happy. And just because it's a prologue doesn't mean it had to be short.
I'm playing Devils advocate here I knew what I was getting and love it and have spend 5-6 hours so far playing. Just have a feeling there will be a lot of angry casual gamers who will be put off by this.

Will there be a demo for this demo? Lol

The main audience for MGS are in their mid 20's to late 30's, little kids getting excited for a Metal Gear game makes no sense.

robotrock

Banned
Are there any f-bombs dropped in this game? I only played the Ground Zeroes mission and can't really remember one. Just curious if Kojima ever dropped one again after Laughing Octopus in MGS4

Betty

Banned
Do guards repopulate the map ? If I extract a bunch of soldiers, will others eventually replace them at the spots from where I took them ?

Still unsure, but on the GZ mission I killed every soldier in the base and no other soldiers showed up. However after you rescue Chio/Paz, some do spawn, but only a few i think.

Top Bottom