• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Caode

I finished it earlier today, picked it up this morning. I've only done the Ground Zeroes mission so far, I'll tackle everything else tomorrow after playing some more of Infamous.

Well, the game has had it's detractors and naysayers due to it's length but I loved it. It was a nice slice of metal gear, something to get the excitement going and damn did it ever leave me hyped for The Phantom Pain. The mechanics are great, it's probably the most fun I've had playing MGS in a long time, just some all around great gameplay, some stuff new, some stuff just tweaked and fine tuned. Incredible soundtrack score too, some great music in there, really can't wait to hear what The Phantom Pain will produce.

Mr.Fresh

After you get
Chico
how do you RV with the helicopter ? Don't judge me I'm tired and missed what miller said lol.

Edit: never mind! Lol I'm a dumbass.

eso76

Finally got to play it.

This is the first metal gear since mgs I'll actually enjoy playing, instead of just going on on trigger the next cut scene.

So something totally unexpected happened today, my nephew suddenly decided to buy a PS4 for this game alone. We have been playing it for the past few hours, so I got to experience it on PS4 much earlier than I thought I would :)

It's pretty slick but honestly its last gen roots show through in places, and it brings down the visual package.

And I already feel like I had enough of Camp Omega, I want The Phantom Pain already :)

OhrIQn9l.jpg

MI6oQFBl.jpg

easter-island-statues.jpg

Ive found 3 so far

There is a distinct sound effect when destroyed

sorry for cell phone pic, didnt feel like recording a video, im about to make dinner

Did you find one during the main mission or just the side ops?
So something totally unexpected happened today, my nephew suddenly decided to buy a PS4 for this game alone. We have been playing it for the past few hours, so I got to experience it on PS4 much earlier than I thought I would :)

It's pretty slick but honestly its last gen roots show through in places, and it brings down the visual package.

And I already feel like I had enough of Camp Omega, I want The Phantom Pain already :)

Congrats man.

julrik

So after knocking out someone in CQC, how long are they passed out for? Seemed to me that they woke up almost right away, unless I shot them with the tranq gun.

Danny 117

So after knocking out someone in CQC, how long are they passed out for? Seemed to me that they woke up almost right away, unless I shot them with the tranq gun.

Not very long. In terms of length, it would go (from longest to shortest):

CQC slow-mo hit combo
Tranq
CQC Slam

That's what I gather from my personal experience.

ButchCat

Is there any videos that show off all the abilities that Snake can perform? like disarm CQC etc.

It's much more streamlined now but for disarming an enemy with CQC mash R2 (PS3/PS4) two or three times and follow that with L2 to disarm him.

So how much time do you have to react with reflex mode off? So many times an enemy has spotted me, only for reflex mode to allow me to pull off a save before the alert goes off.

But it seems that if it ran in normal time you would have pretty much no time to react to enemies spotting you.

I think they added it because of the more open design. It seems that the AI can spot you easier compared to previous games IIRC. I don't think it's honestly that bad since you can still mess it up which I have done quite a few times already.

It leads to some tense situations where you deal with one enemy, get spotted and take out the other enemy in slow motion.

Like one time I was near the prison area the first time I played the main mission and grabbed one guy, reflex kicked in for the guy infront of him, so I quickly brought up my tranq pistol and took him out before he could fire then choked out my shield.

So far I've beaten Ground Zeroes and the first side mission on hard.

When TPP comes out I'll definitely be doing my first playthrough on normal though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh wow... what!?

Rankings on Hard Mode Ground Zeroes said:
Time: 31:20.777/32600
Enemy Combat Alerts: 4/-1200
Kills: 0/3500
Prisoners Rescued: 3/10500
Helicopters Lost: ---
Retries: 5/-1500
Ne Reflex (WTF I totally used that a few times)
Escaped Prisoners Recovered/3500
Score: 47400

What? I guess the prisoner extraction for that mission bonus DOES help a little.

The second bonus is for the trophy prisoner with the two main prisoners. Not ALL of them like I thought.

Whoo! Achieved an S Rank on every mission except the AA guns on Hard -- they spot you so easily since they're on alert the whole time.

I still need to unlock 4 Trials, though; I don't know and can't find what they are. It's the second one listed on Normal for each mission except VIP extraction and Deja Vu. Anyone know what they are? I'm assuming Neutralize all the enemies, but I could be wrong.

Yeah I know, but since there is an audio cue, and Miller acknowledges it, Im wondering if blowing them all up might unlock something

They're for a Trial challenge in that mission, there are 5 of them; I've only found 3.

Do guards repopulate the map ? If I extract a bunch of soldiers, will others eventually replace them at the spots from where I took them ?

In the GZ mission you can kill everyone right from the start. A few guards spawn after rescuing Chico and Paz. If you get an Alert after rescuing Paz, guards will spawn infinitely; but if you destroy the APC and kill the guards stealthily, no more will spawn.

Oh wow... what!?

What? I guess the prisoner extraction for that mission bonus DOES help a little.

The second bonus is for the trophy prisoner with the two main prisoners. Not ALL of them like I thought.
I 'S' ranked the Ground Zeroes mission on Normal on my second try. It took me 40 mins, and I restarted at a checkpoint 3 times. The key is definitely to extract all 6 prisoners.

TheSeks

Sound effect? Probably from Gradius. They often appear as Easter eggs in Konami games, but I think you found the first in the MGS series. Congrats!

No, there was a Moai in one of the "offices" on the way to Otakon's office in MGS1. There is one in Emma's office IIRC in MGS2. Forget where they are in MGS3...

Returners

Is there any tranq ammo in the Destroy the Anti-Air emplacements? I find I'm running out.

Also, I assume the "_ _ _" on their heads when I choke them out is the stars of yester-year. How long do I have before they wake? Comparable to MGS 2/3?

NYR94

Is there any tranq ammo in the Destroy the Anti-Air emplacements? I find I'm running out.

Also, I assume the "_ _ _" on their heads when I choke them out is the stars of yester-year. How long do I have before they wake? Comparable to MGS 2/3?

In the main Ground Zeroes mission, re-loading a checkpoint will refill one clip of your ammo. I don't know if the same holds true for the side ops.

TheSeks

If it's like the other side missions: It should be in the same areas it is in Ground Zeroes. IE: Armory and some guard stations on the roads.

Trike

No, there was a Moai in one of the "offices" on the way to Otakon's office in MGS1. There is one in Emma's office IIRC in MGS2. Forget where they are in MGS3...

Really? Never knew about those for some reason. After a quick googling I can see them being found in 1,2 and 4, but not 3. If they are now officially in 5 I wonder if it is still hidden?

I hope they keep the checkpoint system for phantom pain. When you aren't worried about your score, it is really awesome to just experiment trying different things without being worried your going to lose tons of progress. Sometimes you respawn in some strange areas. Maybe they could tweak that. Save anywhere would also be really nice. Well...quick save without having to go into the codec and call someone.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So... wait. Are the side ops canonical? The Metal Gear wiki implies that they happen days before Ground Zeroes.

nillapuddin

I got:

1. The Tower
2. Chico's cage
3. On a roof, can't remember where. Maybe in one of the camps

1. the one in the pic I showed
2. The main tower by the Admin building (the black guy in the other Op stands up there)
3. On a small roof during the ending Helicopter battle

sounds like atleast one difference, getting closer!

Erigu

So... wait. Are the side ops canonical?
I'm not sure how the events could be (unless Kaz just thought he somehow needed to reintroduce Snake to a base he's infiltrated over and over again already and "oh wow what a coincidence
Paz was there all along
"), but I imagine the background info you learn through them probably is.

The Metal Gear wiki implies that they happen days before Ground Zeroes.
As said above, I don't think this should be examined all that closely, but aren't dates given at the very beginning of each mission?

One thing that really threw me off many times playing this on PS4 coming from PS3 was the controls... The button assignments for the shoulder buttons and triggers were all different, and there was no option that made them how I was used to them on the PS3... Why?

So... wait. Are the side ops canonical? The Metal Gear wiki implies that they happen days before Ground Zeroes.
Don't see why not. You do gather intel that feeds into Ground Zeroes' plot through the tapes, and the Intel agent in that one particular Side-Op is actually recruitable in Peace Walker so it IS canon in that sense if you did everything there was to offer in that title.

One thing that really threw me off many times playing this on PS4 coming from PS3 was the controls... The button assignments for the shoulder buttons and triggers were all different, and there was no option that made them how I was used to them on the PS3... Why?
I suppose it's because all of the other action games on PS4 are using L2 and R2 as the trigger buttons now because this time they're actually shaped like triggers. I kinda wanted a return to R1 as fire too. ._.

TheSeks

Because the triggers are better on DS4 than DS3, n00b. </PS4 fans>

(No custom controller config to give me my old BC1-2, BF1943/3/4 controller set-up of DS3 on DS4 is an oversight by Sony...)

Trose

Neo Member
I guess I'm a casual gamer, because I cannot get into this series. I tried in earnest to like this game, but after sloshing around, crawling all over the map for an hour trying to find the helipad, and constantly getting spotted, I gave up and don't think I'll play it again.

TheSeks

I guess I'm a casual gamer, because I cannot get into this series. I tried in earnest to like this game, but after sloshing around, crawling all over the map for an hour trying to find the helipad, and constantly getting spotted, I gave up and don't think I'll play it again.

Er--The helipad is near the admin building. Which is to the north/right of the prisoner areas which are to the north/right of Ground Zeroes starting area.

You put in an hour and expect to know where everything is in that time frame? Really?

I suppose it's because all of the other action games on PS4 are using L2 and R2 as the trigger buttons now because this time they're actually shaped like triggers. I kinda wanted a return to R1 as fire too. ._.

Meh. I still don't get why they couldn't offer it as an option, especially when that control scheme exists in the same game on another console and shares the same name in the settings. I couldn't get used to the controls at all, they tripped me up and blew my cover so many times because I'd press the wrong button :(

In the GZ mission you can kill everyone right from the start. A few guards spawn after rescuing Chico and Paz. If you get an Alert after rescuing Paz, guards will spawn infinitely; but if you destroy the APC and kill the guards stealthily, no more will spawn.

Can I blow stuff up without triggering alerts ? And how about calling my chopper ? So far, everytime I called it, even when there were no enemies in the area, the alarm would ring.

TheSeks

Can I blow stuff up without triggering alerts ? And how about calling my chopper ? So far, everytime I called it, even when there were no enemies in the area, the alarm would ring.

Turn off Helicopter arriving music in the cassette player. They shouldn't hear it/trigger an alert unless they SEE it.

Unless you're using flares, which you shouldn't be: Use the iDroid for calling the helicopter in. Clunky, but less "PLEASE LOOK HERE AND FILL ME WITH BULLETS" than flares.

As for blowing stuff up without alerts, people have done it. But I'm not sure how.

Chairhome

After about an hour or two trying to find the patches on my own, I consulted a guide for the other 4 patches and unlocked jamias vu mission. Pretty fun (especially for me who usually tries not to kill anyone) and silly. Eventually will double dip to get the deja vu mission. Going to try hard soon on all missions. Are there unlockable
skins besides the Raiden ones
?

nillapuddin

could you just drive it off the cliff?

you can jump from moving vehicles (not sure if its loud or not)

After about an hour or two trying to find the patches on my own, I consulted a guide for the other 4 patches and unlocked jamias vu mission. Pretty fun (especially for me who usually tries not to kill anyone) and silly. Eventually will double dip to get the deja vu mission. Going to try hard soon on all missions. Are there unlockable
skins besides the Raiden ones
?

On PS3/PS4? Yes.

Xevren

Ugh I'm still missing the "Unlock all trials" trophy before going 100%. Totally lost on unlocking more trials =/

You're lost on how to unlock the trials? It's not so bad, the normal ones are annoying. I'll put it in spoilers in case people want to figure it out themselves.
For normal you have to do the first trial after beating the mission once. Which is marking everyone, it's crazy boring but that's all you have to do for those.

For hard after you beat a mission it unlocks 2 trials, just so happens fastest completion is one so you just need to do each mission twice. Once you beat a mission the 2nd time it will unlock the remaining trials.

Also you don't have to do rescue the intel operative rescue one again ever, just once and you're done for normal and hard.

Hopefull that clears it up.

Top Bottom