• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

This might be old, but I saw this during Game Informer's Test Chamber and thought it was hilarious

ibo8FU2i5lL2tN.gif

The driver actually gets out of the vehicle to check on the guy and starts shaking his head when he realizes what he'd done.

Alienous

This might be old, but I saw this during Game Informer's Test Chamber and thought it was hilarious

ibo8FU2i5lL2tN.gif

The driver actually gets out of the vehicle to check on the guy and starts shaking his head when he realizes what he'd done.

Yep. That's dynamic as fuck.

Just the type of AI error I hope never gets fixed.

Damn, I have slight buyers remorse. Especially with Second Son coming out today. I feel guilty with buying so many games so close together with the little time I have to play them. I haven't even gotten halfway through GZ yet.

Kinda ran through the game in 1:30. I knew the game was supposed to be short, but it still surprised me. If MGS5's stages are as big as this, connected by roads/plains, it should be pretty fun.

I like how no matter how many changes MGS and Splinter Cell go through, they're still different experiences and I much prefer MGS no matter how much I like the recent SCs. They just feel more open and let you experiment more.

ibo8FU2i5lL2tN.gif

driving at night is tough. I saw the guard fall into the cliffs yesterday. I alerted the entire base and I was running towards the Chico extraction point. it was funny

meanspartan

So I have had quite the turnaround in opinion before/after with this game. I totally slammed it after I found out how short it was. Then my brother got it by trading in COD Ghosts Ps4 for it at Gamestop. Ever since I have played every mission multiple times and still am not yet tired of it. I do stealthy runs, guns blazing runs, everything. Non-linearity in this series looks like it is gonna add TONS of replay value. Also very impressed with the graphics and the engine, can't wait for the full MGS V.

I wouldn't be surprised if before I'm finished with it I get 12-15 hours of enjoyment out of this $30 demo. I was wrong Hideo, I'm sorry :p

Though if you aren't the type that likes to replay or play the side ops, and just care about playing the main mission once through, STAY AWAY. Not worth $30 for just that.

Lyonaz

The game is short, but I don't care. I like the extra side missions. Also the game looks great.
Is there a non lethal sniper rifle? The game controls really well, enjoying it quite a bit.

I think I'm gonna replay all the MGS games again.

kanuuna

I told myself I wouldn't get it, but I ended up going to a store to get a copy for PS4.
I finished the main mission just now and I thought it was alright (75 minutes, 8 retries, no alerts and no kills achieved me Rank B). I wouldn't say the game looked stunning overall (lack of contact shadows really kind of kills it for me), but at the same time the framerate never fluctuated. Character models looked excellent though, and the use of post-processing effects in the cutscenes was some of the best I've seen in any game I've played recently. Audio, too, was stellar and I liked Kiefer Sutherland's performance, although I wish he had had more dialogue. I thought the 'wide open world' structure made things much more challenging than the past games I've played I'm the series. I do wonder how much of PP will be I'm this form of gameplay.

I guess I'll be diving into the side ops and spend some time finding collectibles this weekend. Doesn't really make up for the delayed delivery on my Special Edition copy of Second Son, but I don't mind a bit of stealth action.

tanooki27

after playing through the main mission and all side-ops on ps4, the most distracting technical issue IMO is that the idroid display is sometimes slow to load.

this can be really frustrating, since time doesn't stop when you access the map.
also because miller incessantly reminds you to check the mission details.

hope that's a priority fix they're making for TPP.

Storm360

Deja Vu spoilers

I failed the quiz on the end (Really stupid of me too, I instantly knew the second I saw that wrong answer come up), is it worth redoing Deja Vu to the quiz?

From the videos of the PS4 version that I saw, it seems that the idroid loads a lot slower on there than on the PS3 version (which is what I'm playing). Weird stuff.

Zalifer

Neo Member
I miss David Hayter. I'm 5 minutes in so I can still hope he shows up later, or in TPP and "Snake Sutherland" is a robot, someone playing a VR mission, a double, or whatever.

Timeaisis

after playing through the main mission and all side-ops on ps4, the most distracting technical issue IMO is that the idroid display is sometimes slow to load.

this can be really frustrating, since time doesn't stop when you access the map.

Yup, 100% with you. It's really frustrating and a glaring oversight.

Muffdraul

And either my controller is defective, or I really suck at opening the iDroid. Seems like no matter how carefully I press the lower right corner of the touch pad, I almost always open the pause menu instead of the iDroid.

rvy

Banned
I like how the game is different if you rescue Paz first and shit. Bunch of edits so Chico isn't claiming that she died.

Nymphae

Banned
So I have had quite the turnaround in opinion before/after with this game. I totally slammed it after I found out how short it was. Then my brother got it by trading in COD Ghosts Ps4 for it at Gamestop. Ever since I have played every mission multiple times and still am not yet tired of it. I do stealthy runs, guns blazing runs, everything. Non-linearity in this series looks like it is gonna add TONS of replay value. Also very impressed with the graphics and the engine, can't wait for the full MGS V.

I wouldn't be surprised if before I'm finished with it I get 12-15 hours of enjoyment out of this $30 demo. I was wrong Hideo, I'm sorry :p

Though if you aren't the type that likes to replay or play the side ops, and just care about playing the main mission once through, STAY AWAY. Not worth $30 for just that.

Wow, nice to see someone here admit they may have judged a game too early. Glad you're enjoying the game, I can't wait to try it.

Ok so the game is definitely harder than others in the series, especially on normal. This is especially true if you're trying to be non lethal since enemies will always wake up one way or another.

In previous games you would have the game divided into areas, so you would concern yourself with one area at a time. Here, you knock someone out when starting a mission, then pay for it much later when he wakes up.

Side-note: the weapons feel amazing. I always like how they felt throughout the series, but here they really nailed it.

Czigga

Anyone know of a short story recap I can find online to read before I dive in tonight? Haven't played an MGS in years and never played the Vita release.

Fehyd

Banned
I think the most enjoyable aspect is how non linear some of the game play is. It's very sandboxy in that regard. You're given a sandbox and some tools and then told to accomplish a task, and then it's up to you to figure out the best way to accomplish said task.

One of the side missions I loved involved killing two specific soldiers. One time I killed one without triggering alerts, then climbed to a vantage point and sniped the other with a sniper rifle before exiting the area.

Another time I killed the first target, then I triggered an alert that got the second target to realize someone was after him and he made a break for the exit of the map in a jeep... where I was waiting for him so I could gun him down.

A third time I tranqed both of them and evac'd them.

The gameplay is solid (hurrr) and it makes me feel like they really could be onto something in regards to the open world sneaking aspect. I can't wait to see this sort of thing in TPP.

Anyone know of a short story recap I can find online to read before I dive in tonight? Haven't played an MGS in years and never played the Vita release.

There is a short story recap for Peace walker in the game, as for a full series recap that probably wouldnt be so "short"

The sandboxy style of gameplay is one of the best aspects of the game. I am on my second playthrough of GZ and collecting patches and there's so many variables and different ways to proceed. Even though the goal is simple, you have multiple ways of approaching it.

I wish the iDroid maintained a more handheld look. The first time he pulls it out is during the cutscene and it still looks pretty legible from a slight angle with a little hand wobble here and there.

But then when you pull it out yourself it's just a big flat static screen.

What I'm saying is that I want it to look a little more like this, and a little less like this.

Not all the way, though. Just somewhere in-between to keep it easy to read, but a little tilted with some small subtle hand wobble. Keep it immersive. Right now it feels more like a menu than a handheld device.

Maybe something like this:
AZ2psxu.jpg

Why does Snake immediately drop choked out or killed guards after you grab them ?
It's so stupid :S

So every time you have to pick them up again to carry them...

Is there a way to prevent dropping them ?

Timeaisis

I accidentally rescued Paz first because I was exploring around and found her. Didn't even have to mess around with the
"follow Chico's tapes"
crap. Kinda felt cheating-y, but whatever.

Alienous

I wish the iDroid maintained a more handheld look. The first time he pulls it out is during the cutscene and it still looks pretty legible from a slight angle with a little hand wobble here and there.

But then when you pull it out yourself it's just a big flat static screen.

What I'm saying is that I want it to look a little more like this, and a little less like this.

Not all the way, though. Just somewhere in-between to keep it easy to read, but a little tilted with some small subtle hand wobble. Keep it immersive. Right now it feels more like a menu than a handheld device.

Maybe something like this:
AZ2psxu.jpg

I agree. It should be just like your mock-uop. It's very 'dead space-y'.

If they're just going to have an iDroid turn into a 2D screen they shouldn't of bothered designing it. It ruins the idea of contextualizing the game menu's.

I've played a few hours today, I think I prefer this as an action game than a stealth game, which is really surprising to me, I've always loved the pure stealth runs all the previous games.

The only thing that feels missing to me is possibly more brush or environmental objects to hide behind, but it is a military base so it is realistically sparse, I beat thesis mission with a b last night under an hour with no kills, but 11 retries.

I will have to see about those other missions, but I will say again:

That ending kicked me right in the face, like Bruce Lee jump kick to the left while Chuck Norris simultaneously kicked in the right. Absolutely superb in a very dark and realistic way that has me enthraled and awaiting TPP, sadly only to realize it will be an exorbitant amount of time till it releases...

RedAssedApe

Banned
That ending sequence kind of made me think I was watching a
COD set piece with all the crazy shit going on
. Dat 60FPS goodness. haha

Top Bottom