• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Betty

Banned
Have a question. If I wanted to just jump into the Ground Zeroes mission and take my time searching for the collectible stuff like the tapes, xof patches and pows I missed would I still need to rescue Chico and Paz in the end to get it all to count or could I just fly off when I'm done? And I'm assuming all the POWs will still transfer over to Phantom Pain even if I rescue them in different playthroughs?

I'm fairly certain any collectibles you pick up will be counted so long as you reach a checkpoint after finding them.

Hag

the trials trophy is such a drag to keep playing the game. it's not fun at all. I just need to beat Deja Vu mission like 3 times again to get my last trophy.

I'd trade that shit for dog tags anyday

StuBurns

Banned
Do I really need to play Peace Walker before I play this?
That's a tough question. You're not going to understand any of the characters' relationships without it, but the main plot of Peace Walker has almost nothing to do with this.

If you're ever going to play PW, it should be before this, but if you intend to skip it, you can.

Stratostar

That's a tough question. You're not going to understand any of the characters' relationships without it, but the main plot of Peace Walker has almost nothing to do with this.

If you're ever going to play PW, it should be before this, but if you intend to skip it, you can.
Alright, thanks. I think I'll take my chances and skip it.

Jhn

Which guard?! I just got done recording my first Hard S-rank (Stealth, No-Kill; Display Settings off, no Reflex Mode), if you'd like me to get you a link to that? It's not MLG 360-no scope pro or anything, but it does get you in and out of the main mission in under twenty minutes. ;-)

That's witchcraft to me.

KaiserBecks

Do I really need to play Peace Walker before I play this?

You don't. There's a short, written summary in the main menu and also plenty of (longer) cut-scene summaries on youtube.
I loved the premise of Peace Walker (and it's nice that a lot of that seems to return in Phantom Pain), but I couldn't cope with Hayter's voice acting and the gimped (read: handheld) gameplay mechanics.
I still wish Peace Walker would've been more like Valkyria Chronicles.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
BjVbElnIEAA6PUr.jpg:orig
100٪, in 27 hours and 179 mission.

I've played about two hours this morning and despite all my bitching about the previews for the game well, I'm in love again. It's crazy how Kojima can engage me so immediately into the narrative. I love the characters, I love hunting for these tapes, and the controls are better than ever. I even like the split second bullet time thing. Graphics are a mixed bag. The locations seem sparse and lifeless but all in all really loving it.

Keifer ain't so bad either

Quick Fire Gaf - Worth £24 after all the fuss?

Tell me yes so I can go buy it.

Yes

cackhyena

The sound design is so good to me. Every little thing, from the way his suit swishes as you slink along, to the wind in your ears running, to the ticks and beeps of the scope when zooming in. So many games miss these details that draw you in all the more.

PerZona

You're lost on how to unlock the trials? It's not so bad, the normal ones are annoying. I'll put it in spoilers in case people want to figure it out themselves.
For normal you have to do the first trial after beating the mission once. Which is marking everyone, it's crazy boring but that's all you have to do for those.

For hard after you beat a mission it unlocks 2 trials, just so happens fastest completion is one so you just need to do each mission twice. Once you beat a mission the 2nd time it will unlock the remaining trials.

Also you don't have to do rescue the intel operative rescue one again ever, just once and you're done for normal and hard.

Hopefull that clears it up.

Ah okay, I get what you mean. Thanks! Will try to unlock the trials, looks time consuming >_>

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Here it is.

Just not the same without a download code for the PS3 version of Phantom Pain that the Shinikawa Tax™ version of the game got at retail. :(

Why does Sony not 1:1 with retail in regards to extras for downloads?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
If your have problems with Xbox One achievements not unlocking un-install the game then re-install. The game usually syncs back with the server then the achievement pops up.

Happened with myself on a few last night.

Trial tasks: http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6258965&postcount=82

NORMAL TRIALS
  • Ground Zeroes (NORMAL)
    • Fastest marking of all Enemies
    • Fastest Neutr. of all Enemies
  • Eliminate the Renegade Threat (NORMAL)
  • Intel Operative Rescue (NORMAL)
    • Nothin else!
  • Classified Intel Acquisition (NORMAL)
    • Fastest Marking of all Enemies

• Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements (NORMAL)
  • Jamais Vu (NORMAL)
    • Fastest marking all Enemies
    • Fastest Collection of all Mines
    • Fastest Extermination of all Crows
    • Fastest Unlocking of all Doors
HARD TRIALS
  • Ground Zeroes (HARD)
    • Fastest Completion Time
    • Fastest Completion Time (stealth, no kills)
    • Fastest Comp. Time (no weapons used)
    • Fastest Cell-to-Chopper Paz Rescue
  • Eliminate the Renegade Threat (HARD)
    • Fastest Target Extraction of Both Targets
  • Intel Operative Rescue (HARD)
    • Fastest Shooting of all Moai
    • Nothin else!
  • Classified Intel Acquisition (HARD)
    • Fastest Acquisition of Second Tape
  • Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements (HARD)
    • Fastest Destr. of Woden Watchtowers
  • Jamais Vu (HARD)
    • Fastest Erasing of all Markings
    • Fastest Completion of FOX Logos
    • Fastest Extermination of all Rodents
OVERALL TRIALS
  • Overall Trial Records
    • Longest Range Headshot
    • Longest Range Headshot (tranq.)
    • Farthest Distance Enemy Sent Flying
    • Longest Two-Wheel Driving Time

* Sorry for some abbreviations but I took them exactly as shown in the game!

Also you just need to do as I said:

1. Play one mission on Normal
2. Play it again on Normal and mark them all (except for Intel Operative Rescue)
3. Play it on Hard
4. Play it again on Hard (time doesn't matter)

So basically you have to play through every mission 4 times overall 24 times!

Mik2121

What do you guys do to get an enemy's attention? I know you can't knock anymore, and I can't seem to find any magazines... so, what else is there to do, other than trying to expose yourself for a second and hoping he just does a "HUH?"...

Nobody? Guys? :(

It's a great showcase for the Fox engine and has me pumped for the Phantom Pain but I have already traded it in.

There just wasn't much content for me and I'm not the type to play the same missions over and over again searching for unlockables.

Can't wait for TPP.

Mik2121

What do you mean you can't find any magazines? Aren't they infinite in your inventory?

Welp... you won't believe this, but...

I have played 6 hours without even checking my inventory... I knew of all the stuff on the D-Pad buttons, but never bothered with the actual menu. Shit! I remember I had a look at it when I first played, but only for like a couple seconds.

I'm going back to the game now so I'll have a look. For some reason I assumed all the items available on the left D-Pad were all I had in the mission, so I was just stuck with the night vision thing, lol...

This is quite embarrassing, but I guess also quite something to think I finished all the missions just using my non-lethal gun (got the midday mission left though)!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Nobody? Guys? :(

Are they not infinite on Hard? They are on normal. Have you tried shooting lights out to distract guards?

Edit: Hold right on the d-pad which will show Grenades, Flairs, Mags and other stuff like C4 or Smoke.

Danny 117

Welp... you won't believe this, but...

I have played 6 hours without even checking my inventory... I knew of all the stuff on the D-Pad buttons, but never bothered with the actual menu. Shit! I remember I had a look at it when I first played, but only for like a couple seconds.

I'm going back to the game now so I'll have a look. For some reason I assumed all the items available on the left D-Pad were all I had in the mission, so I was just stuck with the night vision thing, lol...

Lol no!
Hold right on the D-Pad to bring up a selection of throwable items :D!

Just a quick question aswell: GameStops here do a "Trade any PS4/ONE game in to get Ground Zeros for free!" The only retail game I have is Killzone Shadowfall and pretty much everyone I know around me stopped playing the Multiplayer, I guess that makes it a no-brainer deal right? :p

Mik2121

Just a quick question aswell: GameStops here do a "Trade any PS4/ONE game in to get Ground Zeros for free!" The only retail game I have is Killzone Shadowfall and pretty much everyone I know around me stopped playing the Multiplayer, I guess that makes it a no-brainer deal right? :p

If you're not playing Killzone anymore and you are even slightly interested in MGS, yep.

pixlexic

Banned
this game has some form of online DRM? resume doesn't work on xbone it just kicks you ot the title screen where you are "connecting to server"

If you're not playing Killzone anymore and you are even slightly interested in MGS, yep.

Well being honest I don't think Killzone is a bad game but I was never too interested in it, I just got it to have something to play with my friends for a while on my PS4 since Drive Club got delayed :( And I played MGS 1, 2 and dabbed my feet into MGS 4 which I all enjoyed so I guess that's a yes! :D I just hope the promotion will still run till Monday as it's raining like hell today :/

EDIT: Thanks gamestop! "This promotion will end on the 23.03.2014" Please stop rain :(

Mik2121

Uh... yikes... my game is now freezing every time I try to boot it up :(

It freezes after I press the OPTIONS button, but the helicopter music keeps going on the background. I have tried deleting the game data (4GB) but no luck. I guess my savedata is fucked... thank god the game is short. I guess I will have to replay the whole thing :(

:)

Still, sucks that this happened...

EDIT: What the fuck? I tried even deleting my save data and the game still gets stuck... jesus christ :(

foxtrot3d

Banned
Alright, thanks. I think I'll take my chances and skip it.

Just go on YouTube and watch all the cutscenes if you aren't going to play it, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cy7E76mBL0

I mean you aren't going to understand any of the characters otherwise.

Also, on a side note is anyone else having a glitch where you can't access the "Backstory" on the menu screen? I select it and it just goes to a black screen with the loading icon and then after a couple minutes brings me back to the loading screen, weird.

Mik2121

So.. as I said on my post above, my PS4 now freezes every time I try to play Ground Zeroes. I have tried deleting the save data, deleting the game data, taking off the disc and restarting my PS4. I have left it for 10 mins to cool down and try again, and every time it happens.
I have tried playing the game before the initial patch and it still freezes. The freeze happens right after I press the OPTIONS button at the beginning and it starts loading.

I tried other games (Killzone - retail, COD - retail, and resogun - dl) and they all work properly. I can also go to my PS4 menu after the game freezes, and when I shut it down it gives me an error:

CE-34878-0 which seems to be a corrupt save file error. Thing is, it now happens ALL THE TIME with this game no matter if there's a save file or not... the new one that gets created gives me this error anyway, so I can't seem to be able to play the game now :(

So.. as I said on my post above, my PS4 now freezes every time I try to play Ground Zeroes. I have tried deleting the save data, deleting the game data, taking off the disc and restarting my PS4. I have left it for 10 mins to cool down and try again, and every time it happens.
I have tried playing the game before the initial patch and it still freezes. The freeze happens right after I press the OPTIONS button at the beginning and it starts loading.

I tried other games (Killzone - retail, COD - retail, and resogun - dl) and they all work properly. I can also go to my PS4 menu after the game freezes, and when I shut it down it gives me an error:

CE-34878-0 which seems to be a corrupt save file error. Thing is, it now happens ALL THE TIME with this game no matter if there's a save file or not... the new one that gets created gives me this error anyway, so I can't seem to be able to play the game now :(

Hmm just a long shot since I don't have the game or know much about the PS4's OS yet but maybe a "Rebuild Database" from inside Safe Mode will help? :eek: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

Can I blow stuff up without triggering alerts ? And how about calling my chopper ? So far, everytime I called it, even when there were no enemies in the area, the alarm would ring.

You can make any kind of noise (explosion, gunshot) and not trigger an Alert as long as nobody is in close proximity; if you are too close to someone, they can tell where the shot came from.

Oh you, I think we have quite a while, 2015 at least, 2016 at most if previous reports are correct. Sadly.

I'm guessing it's out this time next year, or summer at the latest.

That's witchcraft to me.

Once you know the guard patterns, it's not much trouble; I managed to do it under 10 minutes. Empty Mags are lifesavers.

nillapuddin

If your have problems with Xbox One achievements not unlocking un-install the game then re-install. The game usually syncs back with the server then the achievement pops up.

Happened with myself on a few last night.

Trial tasks: http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6258965&postcount=82

Im gunna be honest guys, this is really fucking annoying me

this is just artificially lengthening the game. Beating any mission once (on both difficulties) should unlock all the trials.

Why do I want to play each specific mission 4 times not even doing the trials, just unlocking them, what is the logic here?

I love this game, I really do, but stuff like this is hurting my enjoyment. I am an MGS loyalist, I understand the collectible grind, but this is just repetitiveness for the sake of repetitiveness, am I missing something here?

edit: sorry, cranky morning post cause my car died and Im frustrated

Mik2121

Hmm just a long shot since I don't have the game or know much about the PS4's OS yet but maybe a "Rebuild Database" from inside Safe Mode will help? :eek: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode

I might try that, but I just found out something VERY VERY WEIRD.

I took my PS4 offline and loaded a new game and it worked... then I took it online again and it keeps getting stuck. I wonder if there's something online messing with my data. I tried to backup my saves to the cloud and they got stuck there for like 20 minutes without doing anything so maybe my saves on the cloud are fucking with my game??

What's the likelihood of a demo for this?

jonah.jpg

I might try that, but I just found out something VERY VERY WEIRD.

I took my PS4 offline and loaded a new game and it worked... then I took it online again and it keeps getting stuck. I wonder if there's something online messing with my data. I tried to backup my saves to the cloud and they got stuck there for like 20 minutes without doing anything so maybe my saves on the cloud are fucking with my game??

had the same situation with gears of war 3 a few years back lol.

Have a question. If I wanted to just jump into the Ground Zeroes mission and take my time searching for the collectible stuff like the tapes, xof patches and pows I missed would I still need to rescue Chico and Paz in the end to get it all to count or could I just fly off when I'm done? And I'm assuming all the POWs will still transfer over to Phantom Pain even if I rescue them in different playthroughs?

Also, I found out you can rescue everyone and just not get on the helo. Explore as long as you want then call for extraction :)

Top Bottom