• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Having already mentioned how much I disliked Kiefer, one other thing is bugging me about the voice acting here.

Rarely but it does happen is Big Boss and Kaz sounding kinda similar
also Skullface and Ocelot's new voice sound a little too similar as well.

Having already mentioned how much I disliked Kiefer, one other thing is bugging me about the voice acting here.

Rarely but it does happen is Big Boss and Kaz sounding kinda similar
also Skullface and Ocelot's new voice sound a little too similar as well.

I thought I was the only one that had problems distinguishing Kaz and Big Boss at times. Haven't heard Ocelot since e3, I'll give it listen.

I thought I was the only one that had problems distinguishing Kaz and Big Boss at times. Haven't heard Ocelot since e3, I'll give it listen.
Kaz has range but a few times he lowers to Big Boss' level its kinda hard to tell.

When Ocelot sounds more like older Ocelot he sounds different enough but when its mainly that new young/old mix its sounds alot like Skullface to me.

Thought the
voice after the credits was Ocelot's for a minute actually till I paid attention to what he was saying.

xam3l

Holy shit, I've been playing this game since yesterday and I am so hyped for phatom pain.
Everything is near perfect.

I've tried the PS4 version last week, and been playing on a PS3 and the game does look very close to the curret gen counterpart.

The soundtrack is amazing, specially at the end of the exclusive trailer.

<3

PerZona

Finally gotten all trophies on the PS4 version. Spent like 12 hours or so in total. But strangely the game is only 98% complete though...

Forsete

I like it a lot. I wasnt at all hyped for it, bought it because I wanted something to play. Now I am looking forward to MGSV. The gameplay is finally "modern".

But, the graphics on PS4 look a bit like upresed PS3 graphics, low poly models etc. Have they said anything about redoing some stuff for PS4?

So what do people think of Sutherland as Snake now that they've played it?

Better than Hayter TBH. Hayter sounds so forced, like the "voice" is hurting his throat.

I like it a lot. I wasnt at all hyped for it, bought it because I wanted something to play. Now I am looking forward to MGSV. The gameplay is finally "modern".

But, the graphics on PS4 look a bit like upresed PS3 graphics, low poly models etc. Have they said anything about redoing some stuff for PS4?

Better than Hayter TBH. Hayter sounds so forced, like the "voice" is hurting his throat.

I'm watching the Peace Walker story summary on YT right now and Hayter is embarrassing to listen to.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
How do you handle the
camera
for Classified Intel Acquisition on Hard?

you can get it without the camera noticing you, keep standing at the furthest side from camera and slowly move until the prompt shows
, or spoiler:
you can get the real cassette from the other guy
hint:
not wearing a cap

Keifer is terrible. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt having enjoyed some of his other work but they literally could have used any generic voice actor. He's emotionless . I understand the complaints about hayter(although people will defend Christian bale to death and he's 1000 times worse) but at least he delivered the lines with real emotion under the gruffness. Also It just doesn't sound like snake without him. I absolutely hate it.

Keifer is terrible. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt having enjoyed some of his other work but they literally could have used any generic voice actor. He's emotionless . I understand the complaints about hayter(although people will defend Christian bale to death and he's 1000 times worse) but at least he delivered the lines with real emotion under the gruffness. Also It just doesn't sound like snake without him. I absolutely hate it.
Agreed. Keifer sounds like he couldn't give two shits. His delivery could be a lot better.

Smilax

On the Deja Vu` Mission, how do I create the scenes for
The soilder and the tank

Edit: I figured out the other one, just need help with that one

cackhyena

I only understand these complaints to a point. The majority of the in game dialogue has him saying hardly anything, so yeah, it's dull. I'm curious who is supposed to make one and two line comments actually sound like anything special. Then you listen to the tapes with him having more lines and he sounds absolutely fine. He doesn't sound fucking overblown like Hayter.

It's jarring hearing Sutherland at first, but I got used to it. As for it not sounding like Snake without Hayter...that's true. But this is BB, and Hayter should never have been the voice for him anyway, so...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What's the likelihood of a demo for this?
I think one of the side ops could be released as a demo, correct?

I only understand these complaints to a point. The majority of the in game dialogue has him saying hardly anything, so yeah, it's dull. I'm curious who is supposed to make one and two line comments actually sound like anything special. Then you listen to the tapes with him having more lines and he sounds absolutely fine. He doesn't sound fucking overblown like Hayter.

It's jarring hearing Sutherland at first, but I got used to it. As for it not sounding like Snake without Hayter...that's true. But this is BB, and Hayter should never have been the voice for him anyway, so...
True, Solidus & Liquid had different voices and Big Boss did in MGS4, I think the decision to make BB have a different voice was made after MGS3, I still think Hayter will play SS in the future
And before anyone says it, its not SS having deja vu, it's Big Boss so it would be Kiefer

Do capturing enemy soldiers give anything ? I got most of them in the story mission but didn't get any feedback at the end of the mission. Is this what we have to do to get recruits in Phantom Pain, once we import our GZ save into it ?

Smilax

In a red door you can find a clip magazine and a granade. Simply toss the clip magazine (and then the granade) to the "tank" in the area where you can find the special prisoner on GZ mission, is just in front of the red door, a bit on the left

What is the scene on the back of the manual?

I just figured out that one its when
you turn off the lights of the base.
also Thank you!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Do capturing enemy soldiers give anything ? I got most of them in the story mission but didn't get any feedback at the end of the mission. Is this what we have to do to get recruits in Phantom Pain, once we import our GZ save into it ?

Yes, bonus points to your rank. And yes, it should work like that.

Otnopolit

My apologies if this was asked before, but when I unlock new weapons, how do I equip them? I don't see any sort of weapon box at the start zone.

it starts really bad, but as the game goes on, i loved it. I'm watching PW on youtube too, and Hayter is so bad(as BB, at least).
Well, cant wait to see what he's able to do on Phantom Pain.

Loved it. Huge improvement from Hayter.

Yeah I really liked it too. It's really jarring to see his face while he's actually speaking in that voice though as I've grown accustomed to Hayter for so long. But from a sheer voice over quality standpoint it's far great, much more subtle and nuanced

Despise it,
actually worse than I expected and the only thing killing my hype for TPP.

Really? That's a shame. What did you hate about it so much?

I was skeptical at first but after finishing Ground Zeroes I think he will do a good job. It gets some time getting used to it, especially when you've been associating Snake's voice with David Hayter for more than 15 years now (shit, I'm getting old).

For the people who think Kiefer sounds indifferent at the beginning of the game, I think it's do to the subpar dialogue and it's not directly his fault. When things get intense towards the end (and the writing in those scenes is a bit improved) I think he does a good job.

In my humble opinion, I believe it would be best to associate Big Boss' voice to a different actor and leave Solid Snake to the -great- David Hayter.

Basketball

Loved it. Huge improvement from Hayter.

1384277198339.gif

IzzyF3

It's true that it feels more Jack Bauer than Snake, but GZ doesn't offer much dialogue for Sutherland here. I'm of the camp that keeping Hayter would have been great, but I can buy into Kiefer Sutherland's delivery in making the game darker and from the red band trailer, the game is going to deal with some really dark themes. Even as a fan of Hayter's Big Boss, I'm really more hyped with Phantom Pain now that I've heard and accepted Sutherland's take.

I have a friend that is totally in boycott mode because of this and is complaining like crazy from watching streams.

For those in the United Kingdom.

Sainsburys were selling the Xbox One version of the game for £22.99.

All versions are the same price at Sainsbury's, last & current gen, Xbox & PlayStation. I was disappointed to turn up to find the PS4 version seemingly sold out earlier, but one had erroneously been placed in the PS3 section, so I went home happy.

CuznLarry

Banned
Hayter sucks, Sutherland is a welcome change. Though overall the audio is completely lacking here, everything from game sounds to VA to music sounds so weak.

I mean. It's not a incredible performance or anything. It gets the job done and is fine. Still has a nice rasp to it. Probably on par with Hayter. The last couple games MGS4 and Peacewalker, Hayter seemed to be kind of over doing it. Though in fairness the dialog for Metal Gear as always been ehhh.

He doesn't sound like he gives a shit, like was reading a phone book or something.

Only line with any effort was "Liquiiiiid" in DejaVu which was horribly hilarious

I think it's more to do with the writing and style of the game so far like others mentioned. The issues and overall theme is much darker and toned down than before. It's a lot more grounded than before (the parts I've played anyway) and there's no need to go overboard like Hayter had been doing recently.

It feels a bit more natural and less ham fisted to me. I'm hoping the overall writing gets better in TPP though because it's pretty ho-hum so far

EDIT: What I hate so far though is that the enemies don't have voices when interrogating. It's really annoying to see the subtitles and no voice

-Winnie-

Hayter sucks, Sutherland is a welcome change. Though overall the audio is completely lacking here, everything from game sounds to VA to music sounds so weak.

Dude what. The sound design in this game is incredible from the sounds of the weaponry, the ambience, the audio cues and the adaptive music. Getting detected by a spotlight felt almost like a survival horror moment because of the audio stinger and music.

Danny 117

Dude what. The sound design in this game is incredible from the sounds of the weaponry, the ambience, the audio cues and the adaptive music. Getting detected by a spotlight felt almost like a survival horror moment because of the audio stinger and music.

Yeah 100% this.

The alert theme is pretty good, as is the noise when the spotlight is about to detect you. Great stuff all round.

Betty

Banned

The actual sounds are good, I think what the poster means is that voice and music are slightly dampened and hard to hear for some reason. I really wish there was a menu for audio to equalize it a bit more.

bidguy

Banned
how do you seperate someone from his guards ?
i just shoot them with the tranquilizer and pick the VIP up

surely there is a stealthier way ?

leng jai

The actual sounds good, I think what the poster means is that voice and music are slightly dampened and hard to hear for some reason. I really wish there was a menu for audio to equalize it a bit more.

Sounds like he's talking about the entire audio max. Hard to believe him though since sound has always been a hallmark of Metal Gear games.

Finally beat it afer restarting 3 times. That was totally awesome! MGS is back and its better than ever! I was blown away by some of the scenes in this game, totally unlike Kojima IMO.

Took me about 69 minutes and I got A ranking

MormaPope

Banned
Found a method to get a S rank on the "kill two operatives" side op. The method requires a previous A rank to unlock the sniper rifle at spawn.

Grab the sniper rifle. Right from the start tranq the first guard you see on the rocky beach on the left side, move his body close to the road so a person driving a jeep can see it. Wait for the jeep to stop and both people to get out. Tranq both of them. Then tranq the guard patrolling around the old POW prison camp. Drive the jeep to the POW camp, break in, take both POWs and put them in the jeep.

Drive on the opposite road, not the one you started on and park 3/4 up the hill/road. Get out and move forward enough so you can see the big guard tower overlooking the supply ruck entrance. Take out the sniper rifle and zoom in enough so you can see one of the targets in the tower. Line up a headshot and cap him. Run directly forward through the camp ahead until you reach another road, zoom in with the sniper rifle through the chain link fence and you should see the second target with a couple of dudes.

Get a headshot, run back to the jeep with the POWs, escape by jeep. The final mission time should be under 5 minutes and you should squeak by with a S rank if you only killed the two targets.

Top Bottom