• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

The_Monk

Just finished Ground Zeroes my good fellow GAFfers.

Did the main mission and all the Side Ops on Normal Difficulty. Found all Patches and finished the Deja Vu mission and all the moments from the MGS1 were found. Got one "S" Rank in one mission, did some side objectives when ending some Side Ops but not all of them (missed 1 or 2 according to trophies). Did not got all cassette taps neither finished all missions on "S" Rank. I'm happy with everything I did.

My very first time on Ground Zeroes Mission took me around 180 minutes. I did not rushed, enjoyed the scenery, lighting and also the details to the sound. If you have a decent surround setup or some good headphones this adds a lot to the experience. I could hear a soldier walking near me, stopping, pull a cigar, light it up and smoke it, it was amazing.

I paid around 5-10€ for this game, Day One when the employee was still taking them out from the back to put the games on shelves. It was well worth my time and money and I was happy with my purchase and with my total played time which is between 6-7 Hours long. I can understand that people can finish the game speed-running but that was never my style of playing any game, plus, I found out so many details that otherwise I could have missed. I understand the concerns and always respect the criticisms of those that paid or refuse to pay 30€ for this but to me, it was always very simple: I vote with my wallet every single time I purchase a video game. The same concept applies to Day One DLC, Season Passes and other content (recycled or not) that always gets released. It's the most effective action I can take to give my feedback for the companies who decides on pricing as well how much content they add/remove or sell it in DLC packs.

Weather you buy this game now, later on after a price drop or never and decide to borrow from a friend I believe you will have a good time. Watching the rain at night while you sneak behind a soldier to secure some useful information feels great and I can't wait to play Phantom Pain, hope you can have a good time with this game and PP and I'll be here with you all discussing and having fun all together because in the end weather you liked it or not it's always good to have a good, polite and interesting discussion with you all. :)

foxtrot3d

Banned
Someone wanna show me how the FUCK it is possible to S-Rank the "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" mission. It's like impossible, in my best run I managed not to alert a single guard, rescue all the prisoners except for the Mother Base agent, but ultimately ended up having to kill 1 guard who spotted me after I ran out of tranqs. In the end, I had a score of around 39,912.

What am I doing wrong? It's damn near impossible to move around the base in that mission when the guards are on permanent alert continuously moving about, guarding the AA guns in groups of three, and in the end they call in a damn APC.

nillapuddin

Check the guard posts by the road exits?

Or kill everyone else, go up to the big tower and see if you can spot him with the NVG on. Maybe the guy that drops the tape only spawns after you interrogate the informant?

Yeah Ive check everywhere I can think of, at this point Im extracting everyone via helicopter, Im gunna get everyone Ive marked off the map so nobody can wake up, and find this bastard, Ive literally been doing this for over an hour, its crazy

Betty

Banned
Glad to hear you liked it Monk.

Someone wanna show me how the FUCK it is possible to S-Rank the "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" mission. It's like impossible, in my best run I managed not to alert a single guard, rescue all the prisoners except for the Mother Base agent, but ultimately ended up having to kill 1 guard who spotted me after I ran out of tranqs. In the end, I had a score of around 39,912.

What am I doing wrong? It's damn near impossible to move around the base in that mission when the guards are on permanent alert continuously moving about, guarding the AA guns in groups of three, and in the end they call in a damn APC.

C4 is your friend, you can find some extra in the ammo warehouse at the start.. Rather than using your tranq gun all the time, just throw magazine clips to distract the guards then either hold them up or choke them out.

As for the APC, just plant around 3 or more C4 on it's route, then blow it up as it's coasts over them. Viola, that's how I got it anyway.

All the guard towers have extra tranq rounds if you need them too.

Yeah Ive check everywhere I can think of, at this point Im extracting everyone via helicopter, Im gunna get everyone Ive marked off the map so nobody can wake up, and find this bastard, Ive literally been doing this for over an hour, its crazy

It's possible one guard may have left in a truck and is no longer markable, not sure though.

Danny 117

I take out all 3 AA emplacements, from the spawn, with the rocket launcher you get for A-ranking it. Make sure to change up your position after each shot so they don't find you.
Also, wait for the guy at the first AA gun to move away from it so you don't kill him.

Next place C4 on the road and wait for the APC to pass by the spawn and blow it up, then call Morpho to the nearest LZ and get the hell out of there!

I got lucky somehow and didn't get a Combat Alert when Morpho picked me up, hopefully you are just as lucky.

As long as you can get a B Rank, you can do what I did:

100% done.

Getting an S Rank on the AA Guns (hard) went easier than expected, thanks to the sniper rifle -- which you need a B Rank to unlock.

Two of the AA guns have explosive barrels next to them, so you only need to plant C4 on the one closest to you; but before that, pick up the sniper, go back to where you started and lay down, then shoot the barrel next to the northeast AA gun, you can just barely see the red/white under the parked truck. Since there's an explosion, they pay no attention to your shot and they all look towards it, away from you, and some run in that direction.

Drop down over the fence, crawl to underneath the AA gun and plant C4 -- you might have to tranq 1 or 2 guys -- then crawl (crouch when safe) all the way to the cages. There's usually a guard in the tower that will come down because the POW's start asking you for help, but he wasn't there on my last run for some reason; if he is, just tranq him. Extract all the POW's from the east RV.

Now, crouch/crawl all the way to the very northeast corner, behind the yellow tire spikes or whatever. There's a few guys (3-4) that hang around the NE AA gun you destroyed, so tranq them from under the bridge, in the brush. When you get to the corner you can snipe the barrel next to the NW AA gun; when that blows, jog/run to the SE watchtower by the road, but take the road that goes by the cages to avoid guards. And watch out for mines! you have to climb up the left side and take the little narrow ledge to bypass them.

Go to the curve in the road, lay down, detonate the C4 on the first AA gun and plant the remaining 4 right in the middle of the road. Now take cover in the little white guard post and wait for the APC to drive over the C4 and detonate. BOOM!

Call Morpho and GET TO DA CHOPPAH!

Spaghetti

the agent gives a decent bonus at the end if i remember rightly.

basically what i did was i planted c4 on the first anti-air weapon right in front of the spawn point, tranqing the guard there, moved to the right towards the armoury, tranqed the guard in front of the barrier, went round the corner of the armoury, tranqed the guy smoking there, hopped over the fence, took out the one by the truck, then the one slightly further up the road, then moved to the front end of the truck and entered the camp from there, took the guard out there, turned left to the second part of the camp, took the guy out there, hit the dirt and took out the guard at the front of the path down to the prison camp.

from there i took out the two guards down there, evacuated the prisoners, headed up the other road (watch out for claymores), marked the targets right in front of me near the anti-air weapon, then went under the little tunnel, took out the camera on the fence, then tranqed the guy in the tower and the guard that comes to check out, then scaled the tower to grab some more tranq rounds and take the rocket launcher from the guard in the tower.

then i headed back down the stairs and crossed over to the armoury there and got in the drainage ditch, from there i sneaked my way to the red door on the right (if a guard in the high tower gets curious don't worry, this works out for the best), took out the camera on the far end by the stairs heading down into the generator rooms, then took out the guard that goes to investigate that and the two that the high tower guard sent to investigate from being suspicious earlier, which should clear out the room where the mother base agent is, but check your corners to be sure.

grabbed the agent, took them back out the way you came, headed away close to the wall, past the armoury, down the little corner road, and stashed them behind the barrier in the little tunnel. from there i sneaked a little bit up the road and planted my remaining c4 in the middle of it. i then moved back a little and took out the rocket launcher and blew up the anti-aircraft weapon right in front of me. i went back into the tunnel and got my grenades out and blew up the other by just tossing one up onto the anti-aircraft weapon.

then i lay down for a bit facing the c4 and waited for the apc, once it drove over the c4 i just blew the whole load, which took it out. i grabbed the agent and crouch walked my way down the dirt road to the prison camp/beach (again, avoiding the claymores), and extracted the agent and got the fuck outta there.

you can get away with the collateral damage kills from the explosions, plus using reflex, just don't get caught, get all the prisoners and the agent out, and do it relatively swiftly and you should have a guaranteed s rank.

SJRB

Gold Member
Heeeeeeere's to youuuuuuu, Big Boss and Kaz
Reeeeeeest forever, here in our hearts
The laaaaast and final moment is youuuuuuurs
Zero's agony is your triumph

Fuck Zero!

julrik

I'm having so much fun with this game! Bring on TPP!

My latest playthrough:

7539bef68431bacf09fadb4e6610c206.png

gkryhewy

I just got the remaining XOF patches and have passed several "saving" checkpoints. Do I need to reach a story checkpoint for them to count, or can I safely quit the mission? The achievement did not pop up, but I did get a message from Miller on the radio.

cackhyena

I just got the remaining XOF patches and have passed several "saving" checkpoints. Do I need to reach a story checkpoint for them to count, or can I safely quit the mission? The achievement did not pop up, but I did get a message from Miller on the radio.

I think you gotta finish the mission.

Fuck Zero!

But Zero
didn't want this to happen. It's pretty clear that Skullface is going rogue with XOF. Probably intentionally pitting Zero and Big Boss against each other, after all Big Boss does "officially rejoin" the Patriots at some point, while running Outer Heaven in the background. It only makes sense that Zero would trust him if they had a common enemy (Skullface). What Zero doesn't understand is that probably when all is said and done, he'll still blame Zero because he was responsible for the monster that Skullface became.

nillapuddin

omg, thank god.

So I extracted all 25 soldiers, and all 3 POW's, and started firing my rifle in frustration, then, salvation

CP, this is Delta 9, Unidentified gun fire

!!!!!

Idk where hes been the past hour, but I grabbed him, and we extracted

never playing that mission again

Mike.83

I'm planning on getting a PS4 in the next few months and ditching my 360. Noticed today my 360 had £15 of credit on it so stuck an extra fiver on and Ground Zeros is downloading as I type.

It could well be my last bit of 360 gaming, hoping I am going out in style. I've avoided all reviews and stuff for this, other than knowing it's short, I am going in blind.

Any tips on getting a silent evac on paz.

My current technique is rush forward straight away. climb up the rock and move around the guard tower, make my way through the small camp of tents and down to the cages. I tranq the 2 prison guards which is the first shots I fire and then grab chico and run to the evac. Then I make my way up hill tranq a guard on the left and jump in the back of the wagon. I can get to paz without causing any issue but getting a silent evac means I have to some how get her back to the chico evac location and I can't think of a way to do it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
As long as you can get a B Rank, you can do what I did:

Thanks, that was a huge help just S-Ranked the mission and got my trophy. Only one trophy left to get, unlocking all trials.

My current technique is rush forward straight away. climb up the rock and move around the guard tower, make my way through the small camp of tents and down to the cages. I tranq the 2 prison guards which is the first shots I fire and then grab chico and run to the evac. Then I make my way up hill tranq a guard on the left and jump in the back of the wagon. I can get to paz without causing any issue but getting a silent evac means I have to some how get her back to the chico evac location and I can't think of a way to do it.

Well after grabbing her I usually evac through the back entrance of the admin building near the power station, you may even want to disable it to draw some guards off. From the exit I wing right and hug the walls of the helipad all the way before heading under the bridge and to the left where the evac location is near the prison camps.

I'm sure this was covered a million times in this thread, but yeah... The Medic is probably an important character. They intentionally don't show his face, and in an old trailer, Kaz asks the doctor, after they stabilize Big Boss, how "he" is doing. Given the number of people on the helicopter, it could only be Chico or the Medic. Chico being the man with the burned face is possible, since after nine years he would be an adult, but I don't believe he had an accent in the trailer.

Need this game.

Extract from where you started the mission.

Since you can get to Paz no problem, just shoot out the camera by the stairwell before heading down since getting to Paz resets the guards -- hold-up one and tranq the other of the two guys at the bottom of the stairs.

Call for evac before opening her gate, pick her up and tranq the new guy where the other 2 were. Run up the stairs and tranq the guy by the door from afar. Go straight out the door and follow the wall around the right of the building, tranq the 2 guys by the door near the AA gun. Go through the small fence opening and tranq the guy by the flagpole, head towards the gate by the RV and hold-up/tranq the guy in the little guard post. Get to the gate, pick the lock, get to the chopper.

I'm sure this was covered a million times in this thread, but yeah... The Medic is probably an important character. They intentionally don't show his face, and in an old trailer, Kaz asks the doctor, after they stabilize Big Boss, how "he" is doing. Given the number of people on the helicopter, it could only be Chico or the Medic. Chico being the man with the burned face is possible, since after nine years he would be an adult, but I don't believe he had an accent in the trailer.

Need this game.

There's at least 4 guys on the chopper other than Big Boss and Miller:

1. Chico.
2. Medic.
3. Morhpo.
4. Masked Soldier that makes it aboard.

That's assuming the "what about him?" guy is not from the other chopper.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Fuck Zero!

Well, Skull Face is the third party in this. Kaz and Paz were both in cahoots with Zero and they both got fucked up in this.

In Phantom Pain I think that Zero will be trying to quietly help Big Boss, with Ocelot possibly serving as his liaison (even though Ocelot of course ultimately has loyalty to Big Boss, same with Eva). It would be awesome if Paramedic and Sigint also come back as the support team.

I find it a bit ridiculous that all these dumpsters and sani huts can't be opened to hide bodies in. What's up Hideo!

Don't forget the dogs in the opening cutscene that aren't in the game. Missed opportunities. Oh well.

I think you gotta finish the mission.

Yes. The XOF patches thing acted up on mine, had to do it twice for some reason because a couple of the patches didn't "hold".

SJRB

Gold Member
But Zero
didn't want this to happen. It's pretty clear that Skullface is going rogue with XOF. Probably intentionally pitting Zero and Big Boss against each other, after all Big Boss does "officially rejoin" the Patriots at some point, while running Outer Heaven in the background. It only makes sense that Zero would trust him if they had a common enemy (Skullface). What Zero doesn't understand is that probably when all is said and done, he'll still blame Zero because he was responsible for the monster that Skullface became.

It's going to be super interesting to see where the story goes after the events of Ground Zeroes and what the connection is between Skull Face and Cipher.

Let's not forget that Miller
worked with Cipher too during Peace Walker behind Big Boss' back
, which adds a fascinating layer to the revenge plot of Phantom Pain.

It's going to be crazy.

This game is unbelievably fun. I actually put down Infamous SS last night to run through a couple side missions and didn't look back. Not that Infamous isn't a great game (it is) it's just that I get so lost in all Ground Zeroes has to offer. From the sublime level design to the jaw dropping visuals and audio - really just everything.

I can understand why this is a devisive title but that's certainly nothing new for Kojima titles. I've put in 10.5 hours total and honestly just feel like I'm just getting into it. If Phantom Pain has this much stuff in it's various levels than it will absolutely epic.

This really reminds me a lot of going through the MGS2 demo that was packed in with ZOE back in the day. I used to just obsess over that thing. This has much more content so I can't even begin to imagine how much enjoyment I'm going to get out of this when all is said and done.

I'm more than happy to have paid full price for this puppy and it's easily worth the cash. I almost wish that Konami would have released it as a demo if only just to shut-up the uninformed numbskulls out there. Half of them would be exclaiming how great it is.

Can't wait to get back to it.

Well, Skull Face is the third party in this. Kaz and Paz were both in cahoots with Zero and they both got fucked up in this.

In Phantom Pain I think that Zero will be trying to quietly help Big Boss, with Ocelot possibly serving as his liaison (even though Ocelot of course ultimately has loyalty to Big Boss, same with Eva). It would be awesome if Paramedic and Sigint also come back as the support team.

Don't forget the dogs in the opening cutscene that aren't in the game. Missed opportunities. Oh well.

Yes. The XOF patches thing acted up on mine, had to do it twice for some reason because a couple of the patches didn't "hold".

Yeah it just seems very unlike Hideo. I was honestly shocked I couldn't open them up and thought for sure I wasn't standing in the right spot or something.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It would be weird if it didn't. MGS2 had the Tanker mission.

The Hospital sequence would be more like the Tanker or Virtuous mission in the sense it will be the tutorial/prelude. Hopefully they do include it tho.

I just realized that mashing Triangle while lock-picking makes it faster..

Cool

Is there a way to disable power to the camp or anything similar?

There's only one power generator, and it's the one
in the Northwest part of the base near the drainage channel, armory, and ladder that takes you up to the highest tower.

Will TPP include GZ?

edit: No? Weird.

I don't think it will be included on the same disc, per se, but probably in the form of a digital download bonus (whether it be for pre-order, first-print copies, and so on). Not a guarantee, but not unlikely that the main Ground Zeroes mission (at the very least) gets into The Phantom Pain in one way or another. We'll see!

The game is such a odd mix visually. Snake looks really great aside from his carpet hair but other things are just so strange. Also at the end of the demo
When the base is getting destroyed
anyone else think the overall lighting and particle system was really strange? It looked like like something from the MT Framework Engine Capcom uses. The aesthetics and general look reminded me so much of RE6.

raven777

I find it a bit ridiculous that all these dumpsters and sani huts can't be opened to hide bodies in. What's up Hideo!

dumpster was one of the things Kojima showed off in MGS4, so I find it really weird that they don't have any interaction in MGSV. Hopefully in TPP they implement it.

nillapuddin

Do I have to get "S" on every mission, every difficulty for 100%

aka, does unlocking all the "Rewards" = 100% ?

Im at 96%, with all trials and every collectible

RedSwirl

I still don't have a full understanding of the controls. What are all the different things you can do in CQC? And how do you even go into first person aiming?

Top Bottom